grind your soul takes over WWE SmackDown!

I always loved your work in diaries, especially in the Smackdown diaries business. So charsmatic, so real to me, so awesome, well good to see you back and the Rumble was excellent.

Good luck in the future, hell you won't need it because you got the luck in your packet already... kissing the buns of GYS :P

SmackDown! Preview - January 30, 2003

With Steve Austin refusing to sign a RAW contract this Monday, and hitting the Stone Cold Stunner on RAW General Manager Eric Bischoff, SmackDown! Commissioner Stephanie McMahon has already stated that she will offer a contract to the Rattlesnake this Thursday. The question is: What will Austin's answer be?

Also, The Undertaker returned at The Royal Rumble, and made his impact known, eliminating 11 competitors! He makes his return to WWE SmackDown! this week! What will the Dead Man have to say about his return, and the competition on SmackDown!?

New WWE Champion Brock Lesnar will be bringing his title into SmackDown!, but he may not be leaving with it. The new champion makes his first defense against a man who's been on a tear recently, Bill DeMott. DeMott has been destroying competition left and right, and this match will be a true test for the newly crowned champion.

Another return happened last Sunday, as Rhyno made his first in-ring appearance in more than a year. As evidenced during the Rumble match, Rhyno is more angry and focused than he's ever been, and on SmackDown!, Rhyno faces Rikishi in what could be a brutal contest.

Matt Hardy, furious at his elimination in the Rumble match, has challenged the man who cause him to get eliminated, Tajiri. Other matches signed for SmackDown! include Kanyon facing the Rabid Wolverine, Chris Benoit, and a Cruiserweight tag team match which will see Jamie Noble & Nunzio, who have been having problems lately, team up to face Billy Kidman & Rey Mysterio.

Join us for SmackDown!!

WWE SmackDown! - January 30, 2003

Before anything can happen, the lights go out in the arena. "BONG! BONG! BONG!" The purple light shines down, which can only mean The Undertaker has returned to SmackDown!!! 'Taker slowly makes his way out to the ring, dressed in a long black trenchcoat, with the brimmed hat, and purple gloves. The crowd goes NUTS as 'Taker soaks in the adulation from the fans before speaking. 'Taker: My creatures of the night, for far too long I have been something I wasn't. For far too long, I have been portrayed as a mortal. But alas, the dead have risen once more, and the Undertaker has risen from the ashes once again, and returned to the dark side. Let it be known that the dead man has returned. Let the entire WWE be put on notice that when it comes time to pay the reaper, all who stand before me shall rest.. in.. peace-uhhhh. (The lights go out in the arena, and when they come back on, 'Taker has disappeared. The crowd roars in approval, as the Undertaker has returned! - (85)

Match 1 - Billy Kidman & Rey Mysterio vs Nunzio & Jamie Noble w/ Nidia

A fast-paced cruiserweight tag match kicks the wrestling portion of the show off, and these four try and keep the crowd hyped up. During the match, it's announced that the winners of the contest would be the #1 Contenders for the WWE Tag Titles, and would face the champions next week on SmackDown!. The tag formula was at work, as usual, here today, and Kidman got to play the face-in-peril. Noble and Nunzio, despite having problems recently, were working very well together, beating down Kidman and systematically taking apart his right leg. Kidman was eventually able to counter a Noble Tiger Driver into a 'rana to begin a short comeback, as he was able to get to his feet and plant a charging Nunzio with a Sky High before making the hot tag to Rey. Rey immediately springboarded off the ropes and hit a nice dropkick to Noble, before flying around with some crazy flying headscissors on Nunzio to send him to the floor. Rey then hit a diving hilo onto both men on the floor, getting the crowd pumped up. Noble got back in the ring, and Kidman hit a Curtain Call-ish suplex, and set Noble up for the Shooting Star Press. Nunzio, however, had other plans, and intercepted Kidman, hitting him with a superplex. Nunzio got up and began to taunt, but Rey dropkicked Noble into him, sending him flying into the ropes, where he was the victim of the six one nine! Nunzio flew back into Noble, and then plopped out of the ring, as Rey came flying off the top with the West Coast Pop onto Noble, for the one two three. Kidman and Rey Mysterio are the #1 Contenders! After the match, Noble and Nunzio got into another argument. Noble turned to walk away, but Nunzio pulled him back. Noble would have none of that, and he decked Nunzio! Noble quickly left ringside, while Nunzio fumed in the ring. What is up with these two?

Winners - Billy Kidman & Rey Mysterio [7'39"]. (76, 68, 85)

We go to the back, where WWE Champion Brock Lesnar is arriving in the building! He drapes the title over his shoulder, smirks at the camera, and begins WALKING! Tonight, he'll face Bill DeMott! - (67 - Lesnar lost.)

Match 2 - Tajiri vs Matt Hardy

This match came about after Tajiri was instrumental in Version 1's elimination from The Royal Rumble match. Footage is shown of the event in question, as Matt fumes while Tajiri points and laughs. The two engage in a good little match, with Matt starting off with his trademark quick roll-up for a two count, followed up with lots of taunting. Tajiri is quickly able to take control, working Matt over with some stiff and loud kicks, before Matt gains control after countering the handspring elbow by jumping back with it and driving Tajiri down to the mat. Matt worked over Tajiri with a few moves, before Tajiri was able to start his comeback by fighting out of a headlock. Matt tried for the Side Effect, but Tajiri elbowed out, and then caught Matt flush in the face with a vicious roundhouse kick, for a close two count. Tajiri was lining up Matt for the Kick of Death, but Matt ducked, and rolled Tajiri up, grabbing the tights.. but the ref saw it somehow, and refused to count! Matt began arguing with the official, as Tajiri lined Matt up for a diving front dropkick, which sent Hardy flying out of the ring. Tajiri followed up with an Asai moonsault on the floor to a good reaction. Back in the ring, Tajiri ducked a clothesline, and tried to hit his no-look back kick to the face, but Matt ducked that, reached around Tajiri's lifted leg, and hit a beautiful capture suplex, dropping Tajiri right on his head. Matt screamed "Now I go here!" and went up for the yodelling legdrop, but Tajiri got up and kicked Matt, before climbing up to the second rope and trying a top-rope frankensteiner. Matt held onto the buckle, though, and Tajiri tumbled to the mat. Hardy quickly recovered and hit the Twist of Fate to pull out the hard fought victory.

Winner - Matt Hardy [9'14"]. (78, 71, 86)

Kurt Angle stands in the back, looking very angry. The camera pans over to Mark Loyd, who begins speaking. Loyd: Kurt, this past Sunday at The Royal Rumble, you were eliminated by none other than a returning "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. What are your feelings regarding this situation? Angle: First of all, I don't know who the hell you are, but get outta here, this is my time. (He shoves Loyd out of the picture.) Now, Steve Austin, I know the fans are all up in arms about you returning, and sure, that's great. But you see, Austin, what you DON'T do.. is interfere with my plans to win the WWE Title. I am an Olympic gold medalist! Oh, it's true, and Austin, that #1 contendership is rightfully mine. I had NO CLUE that you were going to be in this match, so how was I to prepare for you? And then, you attack me from BEHIND? Please, that's not sportsmanship, that's just idiotic. Now, Austin, I respect what you've done in your career. You've done a lot, and you've taken no guff. But when it comes down to it, I know that I'm better than you. These people know that I'm better than you. And Austin, YOU know that I'm better than you. Give me a one-on-one match with you, Austin, and I'll prove it to you, and while I'm at it, I'll take that #1 Contendership away from you. You know I can do it Austin. You know that it's true.. it's true. - (93)

Match 3 - Rhyno vs Rikishi

This match was a nice heaping helping of SQUASH. The newly returned Rhyno dominated his larger foe, hitting him with punches, kicks, brutal clotheslines, stiff shoulder tackles, and even a HUGE powerslam. Rikishi got in some token ass-related offense, but the end was really never in doubt. Rikishi tossed Rhyno to the ropes, and then tried to make Rhyno flinch by bending down and waving his ass at him, but Rhyno responded with a stiff clothesline that turned Rikishi inside out, before finishing the big Samoan off with a GORE! GORE! GORE! to make a successful return.

Winner - Rhyno [4'38"]. (75, 77, 71)

Match 4 - Kanyon vs Chris Benoit

Both men started off cautiously, working the mat against each other, and not wanting to take big risks. Benoit dominated with some submission maneuvers which sent Kanyon packing from the ring for a breather on more than one occasion. Benoit quickly tried for the rolling Germans, but Kanyon was able to get to the ropes, hit a mule kick low blow on Benoit, and then blast him with an STO to take control. Kanyon showcased a wide variety of moves on Benoit, including a Death Valley Flapjack, diving neckbreaker (without a flip like the Hurricane's version), and some whacked-out submission holds. Benoit was able to fight back with stiff chops, and eventually the double KO was reached after Benoit hit a lethal release German suplex which sent Kanyon flying across the ring, landing him on his head. Benoit rose to his feet first, and hit some high-impact clotheslines, before stomping away in the corner. The crowd was rallying behind Benoit, as he called for some more Germans. He hit one, he hit two, he hit three, and the crowd wanted more! He kept going, all the way up to seven, before he finally released his grip. The seven German suplexes obviously took a lot out of Benoit though, and he was very slow to get to his feet. He was still up before Kanyon, and called for the diving headbutt. Unfortunately, it missed it's target, and Kanyon eventually capitalized, hitting a Death Valley Driver. After a bit of stalling, he made the count, but Benoit got a shoulder up! Kanyon began arguing with the ref, before pushing him away, and setting Benoit up for the I'm Betta Than You. Unfortunately for Kanyon, he argued with the ref for just a bit too long, and Benoit was able to counter into the Crossface! Kanyon fought his hardest, but he was forced to tap, giving Benoit the big victory!

Winner - Chris Benoit [13'52"]. (81, 75, 87)

Paul Heyman and his client, The Big Show, are standing in the back. Heyman is arguing with the Big Show about his loss at The Royal Rumble, and Show is trying to defend himself, but Heyman won't let him get a word in edge wise. Show finally snaps, and grabs Heyman by the collar. Show: PAUL! I told you already. YOU screwed it up for me. You told me he couldn't kick out of the Choke Slam. YOU PROMISED ME he couldn't do it. And what did he do? HE DID IT. I oughta SMACK YOU SILLY RIGHT NOW!!! Heyman: SHOW SHOW SHOW SHOW SHOW! Calm down! Show, please, please let me go. Look, I'm already working on getting a match against Lesnar down the road. (Show releases his grip.) ..unfortunately, Show.. (A door is heard opening.) IT'S NOT FOR YOU! (Show turns around, only to be hit with a GORE! GORE! GORE! BY RHYNO!) Rhyno: HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT, you piece of SH*T! Heyman: Big Show! You ain't got what it takes to be champion ANYMORE. I'm through with letting you ride my expertise. I need a REAL client. Someone who can back up his words. Someone who is not afraid of kicking some ass. RHYNO.. welcome to the fold. (The two shake hands as the camera fades out on Shows limp body.) - (80)

Match 5 - WWE Title - Brock Lesnar* vs Bill DeMott

Another quick and plodding match sees Lesnar dominate the Tough Enough trainer, weathering only slight offense, including a nice powerbomb, before coming back and finishing off DeMott with the F5 to retain his title. After the match, though, Lesnar gets up and stares down DeMott, but out of nowhere.. GORE! GORE! GORE! Rhyno strikes again! Rhyno and Heyman berate Lesnar as we cut to commercial!

Winner, Still Champ - Brock Lesnar [5'03"]. (72, 68, 76 - Title lost image.)

The glass shatters, and WHEN YA HEAR THE GLASS IT MEANS YOUR ASS OH HELL YEAH WHAT STONE COLD WHAT I SAID STEVE AUSTIN is back on SmackDown!!! Austin gets in the ring and downs a few Steveweisers. Austin grabs the mic and begins talking about how great it is to be back, beer swillin' and causin' chaos all over the place. He toasts to the crowd for a bit before the music of Stephanie McMahon hits, and she comes out, wielding a contract. She talks about how great it was to see Austin hitting the Stunner on Eric Bischoff, and that she's so glad he could come to SmackDown!. Austin grabs the mic, and tells her that it's well and dandy that she's so glad, but there's only one problem. Austin isn't coming to SmackDown! Before Steph can respond.. KICK WHAM STUNNER WHAT WHAT WHAT AUSTIN HAS STRUCK! The crowd goes nuts, as Austin begins his celebration all over again, and SmackDown! goes off the air. - (90)

Show Stats

Over-all Show Rating: 80 (+9)

Television Rating: 5.23 (EVEN)

Attendance: 9027 ($541,620) (+1011)