MMA: Fighters Who Lost...

I was talking this over with a friend the other day. There are a lot of fighters that lose the fight, but in return gain a bit of respect in some shape or form. What fighters have you gained some sort of respect for off of a losing bout?

Mine would be Chris Leben vs. Anderson Silva. Here's the thing, Leben is one of my favorite fighters, but I am able to put that to the side for this. Had I still been stuck on his actions from the TUF House and his attitude at the time I would have been able to look past it a bit after this fight. This fight ended early, yes, but even after you realized that Leben was going to need a miracle left hand to win this fight he still continued to press and trade with Silva who was obviously out-striking him.

Kevin Randleman after the Fedor fight at Pride: Critical Countdown 2004 (I think). Never really liked him for a few reasons but he'd just lost his father and been in one hell of a car accident, then went out there and threw Fedor around like a rag doll before being submitted. I'm still not overly keen on him, but it's hard not to have respect for the guy after that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say the best instance for me is Forrest/Tito from UFC 59. Forrest went from the scrappy winner of TUF to a fighter worthy of hype. It was really nothing more than a test for Forrest to see were he stood against stiffer competition. Much more of a must win for Tito and in the end it could have easily been handed to Griffin. Regardless, this was were most observer's perception of Forrest Griffin would change.