The Hockey Thread

Clawson

Toe not to be a downer at all. But much how Habs fans are excited to be in 7th, we must remember that the teams behind us have up to 3 games at hand on us and could be 5 points ahead when they get to the same games play mark, for Toronto, it's not the amount of points (4) that you need to get to a spot, it's the amount of teams that Toronto has to get past. There are currently 6 teams ahead of Toronto before there's a playoff spot to be had. Toronto fans have to consider the fact that it's not as simple as winning 3 games and Toronto has a spot, they have to deal with 6 other teams who also feel the same way.

It's no where near impossible, but it's not as simple as 4 points, in my opinion.

The Leafs are in tough for a playoff spot, I'm not too worried about the Isles and Tampa, but I feel the Rangers and Flyers are underachieving so far and should pull it together soon, and the Canadiens held a playoff spot without their best player, who's back now. They have a chance, but you have to finish 10 games above .500 not counting OT losses to get 92 points, which is pretty much the minimum you can make the playoffs with, and I don't see the Leafs winning 13 more than they lose in regulation over 40 games.

Hopefully they string together another 8-2-1 stretch this month which would probably give them a decent shot and prove me wrong.

6-1-0 on a 7 game road trip, and had it not been for heroic goaltending by Leclaire in Ottawa it likely would have been a perfect 7-0-0. Who'd have thought they'd do that after losing 5 in a row. Montreal now has I believe 6 of their next 7 at home, but unlike the roadtrip, these games are against high quality teams. Buffalo, Washington, Detroit's in there... it'll really prove the mettle of this team as barring a serious injury to Andrei Kostitsyn who left last game early, this will be the first real test for the complete team.... about 42 games into the season haha.

Also, how important is Markov? 11 points in 6 games since his return, getting points in every game and is a plus 6.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I can't believe I missed last night's WJC game. Who the fuck gets Sportsnet but not TSN?

Bruins/Flyers was nice today though. Wish they'd come up with something to deal with the crowd noise seeming so quiet because it's so far from the rink.

And the US Olympic team would be a good NHL team. I don't see them as medal contenders, but then I ran through the playoff format in my head (it's weird this year, the 5-through-12 finishers have play-ins for quarterfinal berths) and somehow they wound up losing to Finland in the bronze medal game. Based on the squads announced, I'd probably rank the teams like this:

Canada

Russia

Finland

Sweden

USA

Slovakia

Czech Republic

Belarus

Latvia

Switzerland

Germany

Norway

I meant to tell Basha this story. In Panama, I ran into a French-Canadian from Montreal in the bathroom at the bar and it took us and three other guys from Toronto all of 10 seconds to get into a friendly argument over Komisarek. The Montreal fan hated him but confessed his love for Kessel.

The American I was drinking with was shocked at the stereotype about us was true.

That it takes Canadians all of 10 seconds to start talking about hockey when we're together. He also commented that we all seemed polite even when having a debate and I told him that if an actual game was one there probably would have been fisticuffs.

That game against Calgary sucked to watch. Gustavsson was playing well and Toronto had the lead, but they could not score more then one. Of course, a horrible give-away and a stupid penalty, and suddenly the Flames are up 2-1. I don't know if the Flames defence turned us away or if it is the inability of our offence to score, but from the mid-point of the second on the game was just terrible to watch as a Leafs fan.

Montreal played well this afternoon. Buffalo had unbelievably strong defence, it was frustrating how well they were stifling our passes and forcing the play. Miller was sensational in the third when Montreal really poured it on late. Sucks to lose, and the afternoon game with a 1-0 score is a pretty good cuer for insomnia.

The Leafs game had some great saves from Gustavsson.

For some reason, I just could not get interested in the championship game. I did see the tying goal by Eberle, though. That guy is clutch.

Usually I find myself cheering Canada on (yes I'm from USA), but after the horrible penalty at the end, I was rather happy that USA found a way to win in overtime. Jack Campbell was the difference, and it felt like a special victory for USA.

Usually I find myself cheering Canada on (yes I'm from USA), but after the horrible penalty at the end,

Just curious, which one of the refs gave that penalty? Not that it matters that much since both of them suck ass but I'm just curious.