The Hockey Thread

Clawson

Cheechoo has something like 15 points in 60 games played this season with an average ice time of 12 minutes. The Sens picked him up in the Heatley deal; and they're already dumping him onto waivers. That should pretty well tell you if he's worth picking up.

A cap hit of 1.5 million (I believe that's half of his salary) next season for a guy who is basically a third line guy at best isn't awful; but he's really not overly effective in a checking or energy role. He's a sniper at heart; but after his knee injury he skates slower than molasses and his massive drop off in production is most likely the result.

I just don't see him as an effective roleplayer; and at this stage in his career he's not a very effective point producer either.

Wouldn't cry a river if the Leafs picked him up. I just don't really see him being a player worth using a spot, or cap space on. Maybe if a guy like Stempniak is traded. Although honestly Stempniak is a pretty good energy guy IMO.

Guest DroMPHo

National Newswatch is reporting that a group of Winnipeg investors have bought the Thrashers and are moving them to Winnipeg next year, press conference on March 4.

If this is true, good for them. And great for Winnipeg.

National Newswatch is reporting that a group of Winnipeg investors have bought the Thrashers and are moving them to Winnipeg next year, press conference on March 4.

If this is true, good for them. And great for Winnipeg.

If there was any truth to it, TSN and Sportsnet would be all over that. They both have sources high up in the NHL hierarchy, and they would have said something about this if it was true. There are rumours that Atlanta is the next Phoenix, but nothing has happened yet.

Edited by Toe

Guest DroMPHo

I agree with you completely on that...but at the time I posted that, it hadn't really broken out of the NNW/political sphere to sports reporters. Guess we'll know one way or another in a few weeks, but yes TSN or Sportsnet will likely let us know well in advance.

Sounds like Florida is looking to break up their core. They could be moving Horton, Weiss and Booth. The Leafs, in the past, have shown interest in Stephen Weiss and I think Nathan Horton would be a good fit on the team.

Guest DroMPHo

Weiss is a surprise because I figured he'd be one of Deboer's favourites (he coached Weiss in Plymouth if memory serves).

But a blowup is what that team could use for sure.

Guest DroMPHo

In other news, I have now been to an ECHL game. Florida Everblades vs. Kalamazoo Wings.

Quality of play was surprisingly good, but nobody struck me as a sure-fire future NHLer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sideshow MPH

Oh I'll be following it online from 11:30 onwards, I just won't have a TV nearby. I'm far less interested in the trades than in the commentators' accidental hilarity anyhow.