Pakistan vs Australia ODI/Twenty20 Thread

sahyder1

I can't imagine Hoggy would have ever been a success at test level. Only need to love at his FC stats for WA.

He was awesome in ODIs because batsmen had to play their shots against him to keep the run rate up. They don't really have the same problem in the four or five day game.

Still love the guy, though

Afridi is not a test match cricketer.

Sure he is. He's got a decent average of 37 which is not bad for someone who would come in at 6 or 7. His bowling has gotten a lot more consistent too since the last time he last played a test match. Plus he's one of the better guys in the field for Pakistan too. He turned into a better ODI player once he was regularly included in the ODI team a few years. Give him the same treatment and he will produce there too. I am sure Afridi will be returning to the Test team that gets announced for the Tour of England.

Most of his test runs have come on featherbeds, really.

These days he's a bowling all-rounder capable of some big innings as all guys batting at seven or eight are. Not sure his bowling would be all that penetrative in the longer format, either. Think he's a bit like Brad Hogg in that regard.

He really hasn't had a chance to play outside the subcontinent but like I said before he is a better player now then he was 3 years ago. He's still a mad man....but there is a little method to his madness now. I fully expect him to be part of the team (probably as captain) for the 6 Test matches in England this summer (2 of them are against Australia).

I have no idea what Afridi was smoking but yeah...I'm glad he proved me right. This man is the next captain. It was great to see the team actually show some energy out there. If I don't see Kamran Akmal or Mohammad Yousuf ever again it would still be too soon.

I was expecting a 3 game suspension so I'll definitely take 2. I like the decision to make Shoaib Malik to captain the Twenty20 side instead. I really do hope they stick with Sarfraz and not go back to Kamran Akmal (wishful thinking on my part) but not giving the Twenty20 captaincy for this game to Akmal (who was originally supposed to be Afridi's Vice Captain) is a good start.

The drunk who ran onto the field and tackled Latiff has been banned for life from the WACA and fined $500. The WACA is trying to petition the state government to raise the fine so it matches what it is around the rest of Australia ($7,000). $500 is nearly not enough. Make an example out of idiots like this guy.

Can't believe he only got a two match ban for it either, considering his past.

His "past" is that one incident Engand. I am sure his guilty plea got him only a two game ban. If he had tried to fight the ban he probably would've ended up with a longer ban.

I think he should have gone for six to twelve months. How is this any worse than Warne's drug incident?

Because you can't pick and choose suspensions based on who the party involved is. If you look at the recent history most of the time guys have gotten off with just a fine or at most one or two game suspensions. The Broad/Anderson saga just happened and they didn't even get a suspension. You can't change precedent because it happened against your team or involving a guy you don't like.

Drugs are a separate matter. Warne's drug incident created a separate precedent.....and as you saw Asif was suspended for a year for his drug troubles.

I didn't see the Broad/Anderson thing. And I don't consider drugs to be a seperate matter; Both were intentional attempts to defraud the game. This is unforgivable and as far as i'm concerned, Afridi has been slapped on the wrists.

What does everyone think about Afridi's comments that every team tampers?

and I haven't been as into the Cricket this summer as I usually am.. but has Nathan Bracken been in the ODI's or is he injured. Surely his past one day form would secure him the left arm spot in the team, one of the best death bowlers I believe

What does everyone think about Afridi's comments that every team tampers?

and I haven't been as into the Cricket this summer as I usually am.. but has Nathan Bracken been in the ODI's or is he injured. Surely his past one day form would secure him the left arm spot in the team, one of the best death bowlers I believe

That comment is nothing new. Several prominent cricketers have said similar stuff over the years. Alan Donald last year came out and said ICC should legalize the ability "to work the ball." I remember reading a comment from Mike Athernton saying England used to have a designated guy to shine the ball in the field.....and that person used to have a certain brand of gummy bears (or something like that) because it gave a better shine to the ball. Different fast bowlers have said over the years that they used to work the seam.

I didn't see the Broad/Anderson thing. And I don't consider drugs to be a seperate matter; Both were intentional attempts to defraud the game. This is unforgivable and as far as i'm concerned, Afridi has been slapped on the wrists.

Guys that don't walk when they know they've nicked one to the keeper also defrauding the game. Different offences have different penalties. It works that way in every walk of life. There are more than enough examples in the past 10-15 years of guys who walked away with nothing but a fine for ball tampering.

Guys that don't walk when they know they've nicked one to the keeper also defrauding the game. Different offences have different penalties. It works that way in every walk of life. There are more than enough examples in the past 10-15 years of guys who walked away with nothing but a fine for ball tampering.

I am against not walking in principle too, but there exists in the rules of the game an avenue for that to happen. I'm also against any reprimand/fine/small suspension for ball tampering as blatantly obvious as "Munchlax" Afridi's. On a similiar note to what you were saying before - just because you like Afridi, doesn't mean that he (and other such tamperers) shouldn't be made examples of.

I am against not walking in principle too, but there exists in the rules of the game an avenue for that to happen. I'm also against any reprimand/fine/small suspension for ball tampering as blatantly obvious as "Munchlax" Afridi's. On a similiar note to what you were saying before - just because you like Afridi, doesn't mean that he (and other such tamperers) shouldn't be made examples of.

That argument makes no sense when their is a precedent. Find me a ball tampering suspension that was that long? Like I said, check the England game from earlier this month. They used their spikes on the ball AND worked the seams.

ICC took no action. Calling for a one year ban on Afridi is idiotic. Afridi got the maximum he could have under the guidelines. You can't bypass the rules for one guy. If the ICC wants to change the rule....go right ahead. I'll come out in favor of it. But the rule better apply to all....and not just for guys from Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Who was the player that got caught putting a lolly (candy) on the ball. I'm guessing it may have been an England bloke, as you said they used to have one guy with certain branded gummy bears.

I remember hearing about it, but don't recall if the player got fined.

*sigh*

I'm also against any reprimand/fine/small suspension for ball tampering as blatantly obvious as "Munchlax" Afridi's.

I'm also against any reprimand/fine/small suspension for ball tampering

I'm also against any reprimand/fine/small suspension

---------------

Like I said, check the England game from earlier this month. They used their spikes on the ball AND worked the seams.

I didn't see the Broad/Anderson thing.

But again...

I'm also against any reprimand/fine/small suspension for ball tampering as blatantly obvious as "Munchlax" Afridi's.

--------------

Calling for a one year ban on Afridi is idiotic. Afridi got the maximum he could have under the guidelines.

I am for the changing of the guidelines.

You can't bypass the rules for one guy. If the ICC wants to change the rule....go right ahead. I'll come out in favor of it. But the rule better apply to all....and not just for guys from Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Hopefully this time you will read my point, I sure as hell have written it enough times now. Moving forward - please refrain from your accusations of racism/anti-sub continent bias. That was a classless implication to make. Also, a reply in advance - Yes, you did.

• Like 1

*sigh*

I'm also against any reprimand/fine/small suspension

---------------

Like I said, check the England game from earlier this month. They used their spikes on the ball AND worked the seams.

I didn't see the Broad/Anderson thing.

But again...

--------------

Calling for a one year ban on Afridi is idiotic. Afridi got the maximum he could have under the guidelines.

I am for the changing of the guidelines.

You can't bypass the rules for one guy. If the ICC wants to change the rule....go right ahead. I'll come out in favor of it. But the rule better apply to all....and not just for guys from Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Hopefully this time you will read my point, I sure as hell have written it enough times now. Moving forward - please refrain from your accusations of racism/anti-sub continent bias. That was a classless implication to make. Also, a reply in advance - Yes, you did.

I didn't accuse you of racism.....I said the ICC.

No, what you're saying is that they should make an example out of Afridi....and that is not what the current system lets them do. If they change the rules....it'd be for the next guy. They couldn't change the rules now....and just decide to ban Afridi for a year.

Who was the player that got caught putting a lolly (candy) on the ball. I'm guessing it may have been an England bloke, as you said they used to have one guy with certain branded gummy bears.

I remember hearing about it, but don't recall if the player got fined.

I will try to find it. It's been a while since I read the article. It was in the Atherton era. So I guess that narrows it down a little.

Edit: http://thatscricket.oneindia.in/news/2010/02/01/brief-history-of-ball-tampering-pakistan-australia.html Apparently Dravid was the one with the lolly incident but that is not what I was referring to. There was a specific one with England.

Edit 2: Trescothick did some stuff with Mints. http://ezinearticles.com/?Cricket-Controversies---Ball-Tampering&id=3484319

Edit 3: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jan/06/stuart-broad-jimmy-anderson-michael-vaughan

Still looking for the one I read before

Edited by sahyder1