Speeches in Live Music

New Damage

Being a wrestling related forum, I was gonna call it "promos". :shifty:

When listening to live version, the band will often give a "THANK YOU CLEVELAND!", but occasionally, you get a rare gem of a fantastic speech during it, something with substance.

I was listening to a live version of Shinedown's "Simple Man" cover from their DVD Live From The Inside again for the millionth time the other day, and it occurred to me, what a fantastic speech and tribute Brent Smith gives to Dimebag Darrell at the start of the song. It just seems extremely heartfelt and actually means something and something you can relate to, whether you have lost someone or not, especially if they are taking before their time in such an horrific manner as did Dimebag. It (as well as the rest of the song where the drums/guitars kick in after about 5 minutes) actually do get to me, especially where Smith calls Dimebag a "friend", and you can hear his voice breaking..

Another one that I enjoy, although more of in a "fuck the system" kinda cool way is Chris Cornell prior (and during) Soundgarden's live cover of Body Count's "Cop Killer" from Lollapalooza 92. It seems that the speech on my version though is taken from a different part of the show though.

So, do you have any favourite speeches from live music?

Edited by TheModernWay

Jane's Addiction

"Do you like stealing? Yeah? How about a good friends girlfiend? Yeah you would like that wouldn't you? What's wrong? Can't you get a girl for yourself? You have to steal a friends girl? Don't fuck me because you have no honor in your life, no chivalry in your soul."

That isn't the exact quote but it's along those lines Perry says it right before they play Been Caught Stealing.

Nirvana "This next song is for all the bootlegers. It's called Here Comes the Eagle."

On Blink 182's Mark Tom and Travis show they have a bunch of clips of them taliking.

"I'm having technical difficulties." "Yeah Mark has an errection."

"Put those 13 year old boobs away."

Kelly Jones did one at Cardiff Castle talking about and thanking Welsh people getting off their arses and actually doing something for Wales instead of sitting back and criticising, it was something of a rant after some of the Welsh music reviewers gave them some stick. Not exactly high brow stuff but the crowd went nuts for it, great moment to be there for.

I enjoy just about everything Dave Matthews says...one of my favorites is "Dancing Nancies" from Live at Luther College. That could be clouded by the fact that it's one of my favorite songs though. Another good one is right after "Grace Is Gone" from Live in Las Vegas with Tim Reynolds, which just came out.

The one I found today thought was from Pavillion Atlantico in Portugal in 07 as an intro to "When the World Ends", "This song is about love...and sex...and death!"