The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

I actually don't believe that they will trade Nash, but they really should. Columbus needs to move everyone and start from scratch. Nash will be 30 when the players they pick this year start turning into NHL regulars. They need to move Nash, Carter, and everyone else, and hopefully get a goalie prospect in return somewhere.

I don't trust Scott Howson to do the right thing, and even if he did, I don't trust him to get good value back.

Edited by Toe

Well if this week never happened, I guess you can count out getting Rick Nash anytime soon!

I shake my head at Leafs fans who think we can/will get Rick Nash.

Getzlaf on the other hand is already packing his bags :shifty:

Ill Punch myself in the Face if Ryan Getzlaf goes to the Leafs right after my Babies Momma Bought me a Getzlaf Jersey!

I would prefer the Leafs add a good, reliable defensive defenceman if they add anything at the deadline. Hopefully Gunnarson can come back from injury quickly, because he is a very important player for the Leafs.

If the Leafs do add a forward, it will be to add depth. I could see them move someone like Armstrong or Connelly also, freeing up a spot for Matt Frattin, Colborne or Kadri to play for the rest of the season.

Any really big additions will come after the season.

That second paragraph is almost entirely nonsense. Burke is high on Connolly, and he has played well. He's not going anywhere unless his socks get blown off, and if that's the case the person coming in isn't going to free up a spot for Frattin and co. Also trading a decent player to give playing time to a prospect when you're in charge of a playoff spot is a little silly. This isn't last years' Leafs, they're already where they needed to be last season. They don't need to fast-track a prospect to compete for the playoffs next season.

Also no competent GM is going to take Armstrong at that salary. That would be dumb.

Hmmm...

"Hello, Scott?"

That second paragraph is almost entirely nonsense. Burke is high on Connolly, and he has played well. He's not going anywhere unless his socks get blown off, and if that's the case the person coming in isn't going to free up a spot for Frattin and co. Also trading a decent player to give playing time to a prospect when you're in charge of a playoff spot is a little silly. This isn't last years' Leafs, they're already where they needed to be last season. They don't need to fast-track a prospect to compete for the playoffs next season.

Also no competent GM is going to take Armstrong at that salary. That would be dumb.

Hmmm...

"Hello, Scott?"

Kadri and Colborne are both knocking on the door. Kadri was only sent down last time because he was the only one who didn't need to clear waivers. Kadri has not been fast tracked, but I think he is at a point where he needs to play in the NHL.

Connolly has not played that well in Toronto. He has had moments, and he just scored the OT winner tonight, but he has been very inconsistent. His offence has dried up and he is spending most of time on the third line. He is a good player defensively, but that is not what he was brought in for. The best thing about Connolly is the short term of his contract.

We might make the playoffs this year, but we are not Stanley Cup contenders (barring some crazy Cinderella run like Edmonton in 06). If the Leafs can get rid of the one or two bad contracts like Komisarek or Armstrong, they would free up space for this summer. Grabbo and others need new contracts, and a few big names including Ryan Suter and Zach Parise could be UFAs. And it's hard to say that no one would take a bad contract - look at Toskala and Blake going to Anaheim.

Nash and Carter both held off the ice at today's Columbus practice for no apparent reason :lol:

I heard it was a maintenance day or something? I also heard there are no takers for Carter :shifty:

ALSO...apparently Kubina is close to being traded out of Tampa.