Woman to coach ABA team

sahyder1

McElhiney becomes head coach of ABA team

May 17, 2004

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Ashley McElhiney was introduced as the new coach of the expansion Nashville Rhythm of the American Basketball Association on Monday, becoming the first female head coach of a professional men's basketball team.

``This is an incredible opportunity for me on so many levels,'' the 22-year-old McElhiney said. ``I'm thrilled to be a part of building this team from the ground up.''

A former standout guard for Vanderbilt, McElhiney was taken by the Indiana Fever in the third round of last year's WNBA Draft but was released before playing a game.

``I've said from Day One that my goal was not only to put a competitive team on the floor, but to give qualified females opportunities they are not normally afforded,'' Rhythm owner Sally Anthony said. ``Ultimately, I think the Nashville Rhythm, and the ABA as a whole, can be a stepping stone for a qualified woman to coach in the NBA.''

Last year, Tennessee State athletic director Teresa Phillips became the first woman ever to coach a Division I men's team after interim coach Hosea Lewis was suspended for one game.

Dayum, a coach at 22?