PSV confirm Spurs move for Arnesen

Ignore title, as there is English confirmation.

But I still don't speak Dutch.

It appears he will become technical director, so Pleat will be leaving it seems.

PSV Eindhoven general manager Frank Arnesen has confirmed he has agreed a deal to join Tottenham Hotspur to become their new technical director.

The Danish coach will take over from David Pleat at White Hart Lane as the club look to reshape their coaching staff after a disappointing season.

Arnesen has signed a three-year deal to take up his role at White Hart Lane which will see him responsible for scouting players, negotiating in transfers, developing the youth set-up as well as working closely with the new coach when he is appointed.

The former PSV and Anderlecht star admitted he was delighted to be joining Spurs.

"I am very happy to continue my work as technical director at one of the most traditional teams in England. Tottenham is a club with much history and plays even maybe in the biggest league of the world," Arnesen told PSV's official website.

Arnesen has been looking for a new club after opting to move on from PSV following a disagreement with coach Guus Hiddink and president Harry van Raaij over the future direction of the Dutch club.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is keen to carry out major changes at Spurs and the appointment of Arnesen is the first part of his masterplan.

EDIT: Skysports have it now.

Sky Sports Story

Edited by evertonfan

Pleat will still remain Director Of Football a t the Lane according to Talk Sport. Also, isn't it time we got a manager rather than cluttering up the wage bill.

I know Levy wants to go about things in a 'European' way with all different coaches and directors but still very annoying.

Arnesen takes over as Spurs supremo

Tottenham have confirmed the appointment of Frank Arnesen as the club's sports director with David Pleat leaving the club.

pleat0928_ns.jpg

Pleat: Replacement found (NealSimpson/Empics)

Arnesen, technical director at PSV Eindhoven, will take up his post from July 1 and will be involved in the appointment the club's new manager.

Current director of football Pleat, who has been caretaker manager since the departure of Glenn Hoddle in September last year, is 'disappointed' at losing his job at White Hart Lane.

But Pleat is hoping to stay in the game and said: 'I am not going to say I will be smelling the roses. I have been a workaholic for years and I believe I have something to offer.

'I hope it will be taken up in time. This has given me the chance to take a breather which is maybe something I need and some may say it is something I've earned.'

Pleat admitted on BBC Radio 4 that the last few weeks of the seasons had been 'getting difficult'.

He added: 'We had to have a good look at everything. The chairman has had a major review and feels we need to go in a slightly different direction. I respect that decision and wish them well.'

Asked who he thought might become manager, Pleat said: 'There are greater pressures than ever but I am glad to say that question needs to be directed to the chairman. He will deal with it successfully in time.

'It is one decision I am not involved with although I have been very close to everything that has gone on.

'I think they are closer [to an appointment] than they were. We had a setback during the season on the decision-making process but they are closer than they were.'

Chairman Daniel Levy said Arnesen's appointment is part of a new 'Continental structure' which is vital if Spurs are to become a force in the Premiership.

'I have spent a considerable amount of time, and spoken to many heads of major European clubs and international managers, assessing what Tottenham needs to change in order to lay the best foundations for success.

'For many years now, not just for the time I have been here, this club has failed to achieve a league position commensurate with the financial investment that has been made in the team.

'Quite clearly we are operating in an international market and it is vital that we put in place an appropriate management infrastructure and expertise to achieve our aspirations.

'It is important that we have stability and a consistent strategy for first team and youth development.

'I firmly believe that this can be best served under a new Continental structure and that Frank Arnesen is immensely qualified to oversee this for us.

'This decision is the result of a major review and it would be wrong to align it simply to this last season when David took over as caretaker manager.'

Arnesen confirmed he would be involved in the appointment of the new manager.

'We have spoken about the manager. It will be important and we will come to [a decision] as soon as possible. Of course we have discussed that internally. I think there will be only one name finally,' he told Sky Sports.

Arnesen added on Spurs' official website, www.spurs.co.uk: 'I am delighted to get the opportunity to work for a big club like Tottenham and in the most exciting league in the world.

'A club of this stature should be competing regularly for honours and that is what we shall strive to achieve.

'I know the club because I played for Anderlecht in the UEFA Cup final at White Hart Lane in 1984 and was beaten on penalties. I should say though that I left the pitch after 80 minutes when we were still 1-0 up!'

In a statement to the Stock Exchange this morning, Spurs revealed Arnesen will 'be in charge of all matters relating to the football side of the club and the recruitment of key personnel and have responsibility for developing and implementing youth, scouting, medical and international policy.

'Additionally, he will oversee the trading of players in consultation with the first-team management.'

Arnesen, 47, is a former Denmark international who has been with PSV for more than 10 years, during which time the club won 12 major domestic honours.

He is fluent in five languages and has worked with coaches such as Dick Advocaat, Sir Bobby Robson and current PSV boss Guus Hiddink.

Levy added: 'Frank's knowledge of the international transfer market is excellent and no club can operate without that in today's market place.

'He has a proven track record of working successfully alongside some of the world's top managers. The appointment of our first-team management progresses as before and will be announced in due course.' 

Source

I guess this means the deal is done.

Edited by G-O-D