WCW 2000

Boulder

In October of 1999, writers Vince Russo and Ed Ferrera departed from the World Wrestling Federation to join World Championship Wrestling. Their reasons, they stated, were a larger salary and what they perceived to be the attractive challenge of bringing the company back to its former glory. Without the creative limitations placed upon them by upper management, they would have little trouble bringing the number two pro wrestling organization in the United States into the number one slot.

And all hell broke loose.

Russo’s controversial ideas created a brief ratings spike, but his ability to rub those in charge the wrong way led to his dismissal in January of 2000. He was replaced by Kevin Sullivan, the mere mention of whom led to the resignation of Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerrero, Perry Saturn, and Shane Douglas. Sullivan drove ratings into the ground for two and a half months, at which point the biggest of WCW’s relaunches was planned- the Bischoff and Russo Era.

The all-important numbers got no better over the next several months. After Vince Russo publicly ousted Hollywood Hogan from the company at Bash at the Beach 2000, longtime Hogan supporter Bischoff left, as well. Russo was once again the solo man at the creative helm of WCW, and chaos continued to reign supreme.

Things were no better on the other side of the camera. The WCW World Heavyweight Title was vacant almost as often as it wasn’t, and one of the most memorable title reigns of the year belonged to David Arquette. Bret Hart’s in-ring career was ended by an errant Goldberg kick. The Millionaire’s Club-New Blood angle fizzled out early due to injuries and departures. The positive aspects of the company often became lost in the hectic nature of the television shows.

By the time September of 2000 drew to a close, the company was at an all-time low. Pay-Per-View buyrates had literally dropped to 10% of their peak numbers, the top stars of the company were mishandled in wasteful and often awkward fashions, and to add insult to injury, on the last Nitro of the month, Russo himself won the Heavyweight Championship.

The end of WCW as it was familiarly known was no longer a mere possibility. It had become a likelihood.

And still, the company was down, but not quite out. New talent was starting to rise to the top. Older stars like Goldberg and Sting were still capable of exciting fans. The different atmosphere of WCW, including its relaxed disqualification rule, created a sort of “alternate ambiance” to the WWF.

In short, this was a company on the brink of disaster… but a company with a beating heart. The wrong hands would condemn it to extinction, but with the proper touch, WCW still had a future.

Edited by Boulder

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In my stars I am above thee; but be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.”

-William Shakespeare

Twelfth Night

Act II, Scene V

Diary Backstory- Part 1

My story starts on July 27, 1994. “Forrest Gump” was dominating the American box office like few films before it, Swedish pop-rockers Ace of Base were redefining the standards of the two-hit wonder, and then-President Bill Clinton was best known for his health care plans and his domineering wife. However, none of that mattered to me- actually, that’s not entirely true. I enjoyed “Forrest Gump” and had boogied to “I Saw the Sign” on numerous occasions.

The night of July 27, though, none of that mattered to me. After a drought of nearly a year, WCW was coming back to the Nassau Coliseum, Long Island’s pro wrestling stronghold. Though the Long Island crowd was considered especially rowdy and rude in the world of wrestling, WCW, for some reason, seemed to have struck a chord with the fans. While bland top WWF faces such as Lex Luger got their heads verbally handed to them upon parting the curtains in Nassau (in fact, I remember one particularly humorous incident regarding Rick Steiner and a raw egg), WCW’s headliners- Flair, Sting, Rude, Steamboat- were met with thunderous, respectful applause, regardless of heel-face allegiance.

This was shaping up to be a big night for WCW- not only were they running one of their hottest locales, but WCW’s man of the hour- new World Champion Hulk Hogan- would be seeking to further legitimize his title reign by defeating former champion Ric Flair in a rematch, one which would be held with no holds barred- and that was only the main event. Sting, Ricky Steamboat, Steve Austin, and Terry Funk were all scheduled to be in action.

And we had front row seats.

Tickets had gone on sale May 3, but my friend, Wayne, and I had been camping out by the Coliseum box office since May 1, to ensure first pick of tickets. We had failed to take into account the waning popularity of wrestling- the “seconds” on line did not arrive until 38 hours after us- but nevertheless, we achieved our goal: two tickets, front row center. Though the event was non-televised, it was still sure to be one to remember.

I would soon find out how true those words proved to be.

Diary Backstory- Part 2

Wayne and I arrived at the Coliseum with plenty of time to spare. We reached our seats at 7:03, a full 57 minutes before the scheduled starting time of the show. The time passed quickly, though, as we spent it asking each other wrestling trivia questions and ridiculing those with seats inferior to ours. At 8:00 on the dot, though, the lights dimmed. As I squinted at the curtains, I saw a short, paunchy man wearing a drab tuxedo with a very, shall we say, festive bowtie and cummerbund. Penzer, my main man.

The show was off. The first match was a terrific opener- “Flyin’” Brian Pillman beat Brad Armstrong. For all the drama, intensity, and beauty of the contest, little was more exciting than patting Armstrong’s shoulder as he hit the rail in front of me. My hand stuck to him for a fraction of a section, but nevertheless, it was worth it. I wiped Armstrong’s sweat onto a napkin, then held the napkin up to Wayne, threatening to clone Brad and bring another Armstrong into the world if Wayne didn’t buy me a soda. Needless to say, Wayne quickly bought me a Sprite.

As much of an experience as the first match was, the second match on the card would prove to be far more memorable. Cactus Jack was slated to wrestle Brian Knobbs in what was billed as a “Long Island Street Fight.” The crowd went absolutely nuts for Jack, the hometown hero. While he didn’t break kayfabe by officially announcing that he was from Long Island, Cactus acknowledged the crowd with a thumbs up and a “Bang, bang!”

Poor Knobbs. Ace Ventura himself could’ve come out next, and he’d have been booed to the floor. To his credit, Knobbs played it up, jaw-jacking with several fans at aisle-side as he made his way to the ring. When he finally got there, Cactus brutally attacked him. The next six minutes saw Cactus dominate Knobbs, tossing him into the steel steps, slamming him on the metal ramp, and pulling all of the violent tricks out of his hat that he could. The tide turned, however, when Cactus missed his apron-dive elbow drop. Knobbs seized his newfound opportunity and grabbed the timekeeper’s chair. He ran over to Cactus, who had risen to his feet, and bashed him in the head with the steel. Jack staggered, but did not go down. Knobbs struck again, but Cactus remained on his feet. Finally, Knobbs reared back and side-swung the chair as hard as he possibly could. Jack ducked, but Knobbs must have swung the chair a little too hard. It flew out of his fingers, and quickly sailed about ten feet, until it was stopped by my face. Wayne later told me I didn’t black out immediately, but the image of the chair growing larger was the last thing I remembered.

Diary Backstory- Part 3

“Who won?” I asked, before even opening my eyes. Pain rushed through my nose into every part of my body as I spoke.

“Get back, everybody. Give him some space.” I opened my eyes to the speaker, a man who appeared to be a doctor. Upon looking around, I was laying on a stretcher in a small room that was functioning as a medical ward. Probably still in the Coliseum, I thought. My suspicions were confirmed as I saw the others in the room- Brian Knobbs and Cactus Jack, with looks of genuine concern upon their faces, Eric Bischoff, holding as much WCW merchandise as his arms could bear, and Wayne, with a grin plastered on his face. He was probably glad just to meet Knobbs and Cactus.

“Hello, Scott,” said the doctor. “I’m Doctor Pat Wallace, member of the WCW Medical Team. You took a real knock out there, but luckily, you didn’t suffer a concussion. However, your nose was broken. I’ve taped it up, and you’ll have to be very careful with it for the next couple of weeks. How are you feeling, son?”

“Who won?”

“I’m sorry?” asked Dr. Wallace.

“Hogan,” said Wayne.

“Just great,” I said, slapping my forehead. The subsequent pain proved that I had made a mistake.

“Hey, Scott!” WCW Executive Vice President Eric Bischoff had come beside me. “Look at all this great stuff that I got you! A Sting leather jacket- and I got the Stinger to sign it! And hey- a Kevin Sullivan action figure! And an official WCW V.I.P. T-shirt! Here, I’ve got a whole box full of stuff.”

Knobbs and Cactus came up, next. “I’m really sorry,” said Cactus Jack.

“No,” interrupted Knobbs. “It was my fault.”

“Don’t worry about it,” I said. “It was an accident.”

Bischoff took his cue. “Yep, it was an accident. A simple accident, you said so yourself. No hard feelings? Good. I just want you to sign some of these papers-”

“Mr. Bischoff,” interjected Dr. Wallace. “Will you please wait?”

“Listen, Wallace,” yelled Bischoff. “You like your job? If he sues, you could be crazy gluing Sabu by next Tuesday!”

So that’s what it was. Bischoff was afraid of a lawsuit. I should’ve known, even before I regained consciousness. Maybe I should sue, I thought. Ted Turner is rich... I could make a few hundred grand off this whole thing. Nah, I can’t. If Turner was losing money, he’d be on Bischoff. And guys like Knobbs, Cactus, and Dr. Wallace would be the ones to feel the heat. I can’t sue. Suddenly, I got a brilliant idea… one so brilliant that I would’ve flashed a fiendish smile, if not for the fact that that would have hurt like hell.

“A job,” I said.

“A what?” asked Bischoff.

“A job. I want a job working for WCW.”

“Heh heh, you’re kidding, right?”

“Nope, Eric. I’m serious. I want a job on the creative team.”

“No way. That’s ludicrous!” Bischoff started to pace around. “I can’t believe I’m getting a job application from a brain-damaged fan!”

“It’s your ass, Eric,” I said. “Maybe the money I win won’t hurt Turner. But the bad press will hurt you. And Verne Gagne doesn’t even run his own little show anymore. Where are you going to find work?”

Eric pointed his finger at me and opened his mouth as if to shout at me. However, a smile soon crossed his face. If it wasn’t for my condition, I would’ve tried to get what was on his mind via a long conversation, but as I was, I just wanted to go home and go to sleep with my stuffed bear.

“You know what?” Bischoff began. “You’re right. Hell, you’re on the writing team! Welcome to WCW! Wallace, help Scott to his car. And get his address… I want to pay him a visit tomorrow morning in order to set things up officially.”

“Son,” Dr. Wallace whispered to me as he helped me off the stretcher, “I know this guy. Just don’t get your hopes up.”

I had never thought about a job in the wrestling industry before, and out of nowhere, here I was, part of the WCW creative team. My nose may be broken, I thought, but it’s worth it. Sorry, Dr. Wallace. My hopes are already up.

Diary Backstory- Part 4

The following morning, I was greeted with a knock at the door at approximately 9:00 AM. When I opened it up, Eric Bischoff, briefcase in hand, and a man I didn’t recognize stood outside.

“How ya doin’, buddy?” asked Bischoff, grinning once again. “How’s the face?”

“No more headache,” I told him, “but the nose still hurts.”

“Well, it does take a while,” Bischoff said. “May we come in?”

“Sure,” I told him. Bischoff and the other man came inside. I extended my hand to the man. “I’m Scott Fried.”

“I’m Doug,” he told me.

“Doug’s WCW head computer tech guy,” Bischoff jumped in to the conversation.”

“Yeah, that’s my official title,” said Doug, rolling his eyes.

Bischoff gave him a stony look, then turned back to me. “Doug is going to give your computer the internet!”

“Wow,” I said. “The Internet? There’s only one, and I get it? Sweet.”

“No,” said Doug. “The Internet is a vast information database and communications tool. I will give your computer access to the Internet, and you’ll be able to receive, via electronic mail, letters from WCW. They’ll be transmitted immediately!”

“Wow,” I said. Doug got to tampering with the computer. “Eric,” I turned to Bischoff. I noticed his eyes widen marginally as I called him by his first name. I decided to make a habit of it. “Eric, what does my job entail, Eric?”

He looked puzzled, but started speaking. “Well, Scott, you are going to be part of our creative team, just as you requested. Our writing team is very much like a democracy- all ideas are welcome, and we decide, as a group, which are best.”

“Okay, that sounds fair,” I said. “Now, when do I get to meet the other members of the team?”

Bischoff put his arm around my shoulder. “Scott, I think it would be best if you worked from here. We can e-mail you our TV show scripts, you e-mail back your ideas, and they’ll be read at the creative meetings.”

“What?” I asked, not mad, but rather annoyed. “I’m not even going to be in the meetings?”

“Scott,” Bischoff seemed to like using my name when trying to comfort me. “The writing team travels with us from show to show. We’re on the road 200 days a year. Is that what you really want?”

“No,” I said, truthfully. “I guess not.”

“And trust me, Scott. Your voice WILL be heard, I assure you. I just need you to sign these three papers. The first is an agreement that you will not sue WCW over last night’s unpleasantness. The second is the contract for your new job. The third is a confidentiality agreement. After all, you’ll be knowing all the storylines in advance. I trust you, but they make me get these signed.”

“Okay,” I said, and signed all three papers.

“Finished here,” announced Doug.

“Well, we had better get going,” Bischoff told me. “You’ll get your first e-mail tomorrow, most likely, as we prepare for WCW Saturday Night. Make sure you get back to us as soon as you can.”

“Not a problem, Eric,” I said. He shook my hand again, and he and Doug left. The sky was the limit now; I was ready to create for the business that I loved.

Diary Backstory- Part 5

Six years passed.

If you’re worried that I skipped anything important, allow me to allay your fears. Nothing of any importance happened. For five and a half years, I was e-mailed the script to every Pay-Per-View, every Nitro, every Thunder, every Saturday Night, even every Worldwide. I read each and every one, and I e-mailed back suggestions. I can honestly say that not one of my ideas was ever used on the show.

I can give Eric partial benefit of the doubt. I didn’t deal with the wrestlers directly. I know that I sent an e-mail to the company in 1994 BEGGING to put anyone besides Brutus Beefcake in the main event of Starrcade. Sure, I didn’t talk face to face with Hogan; I didn’t get flecks of spit all over my face while hearing, “Brother, Brother Brutus is my brother, brother!” But most of my ideas were not only good, they didn’t hurt too many of the egos up top. As you can imagine, my responses became less and less frequent. After they let Nash put himself over Goldberg, I all but stopped replying. A few e-mails here and there, but I knew that my employment was only on paper. I collected a measly $102 every two weeks, and all the while, I could see Bischoff’s face, laughing at how he’d avoided a lawsuit all by paying me less than fifteen grand. And Bischoff got the added bonus of torturing me... until September of 1999, that is, when he was dismissed from his position as WCW President. Oddly enough, following his departure, I felt even more disconnected from WCW.

That’s why when there was a knock at the door on the morning of September 27, 2000, WCW was the furthest thing from my mind. When I opened the door, I was greeted by a tall, middle aged man in a thousand-dollar suit.

“Scott Fried?” he asked.

“Yeah, that’s me.”

“Brad Siegel. May I come in?”

“Yes,” I was shocked. Siegel was the current WCW President, and since the day Bischoff had me sign the contracts, nobody from WCW had been to see me in person. He pointed to my couch, inquiring as to whether he could sit down. I nodded.

“Mr. Fried, as I’m sure you know, WCW has been having many problems lately, perhaps the worst of which is the lack of stability in the leadership department. In September of last year, Eric Bischoff was removed from power. Vince Russo and Ed Ferrera took over as head writers. Russo was taken down, Russo came back with Bischoff, it’s been like a revolving door. Needless to say, we’re lacking any real force in terms of the creative department. The leading candidate for head booker is Kevin Sullivan yet again, which I’m far from happy about. Today, when Kevin Nash suggested that I put him in charge, I knew that I had to take action.

“I was browsing through the database in the WCW computer system, looking at the files of the creative staff members. I just kept seeing the same old names, until I came across you. I’d never heard of you before, Mr. Fried, but after looking through some of your ideas, I was impressed.

“Mr. Fried, I’ve been exposed to the mind you have for the business. It’s top notch. And after the way you’ve been stomped on for the past six years, I don’t think you’ll be a pushover as boss. I’m sure this is shocking to you, but for a few weeks, I’d like you to take over as head of the creative department. We are looking for someone more experienced to take over full time, but we want you to lead in the interim.”

I was shocked. “Where… where do I go to work?”

“The Mineola base,” he replied.

“What Mineola base?” Mineola was about a thirty minute drive from my house, and I hadn’t heard a word about any “base” there.

“Hah,” he laughed, but reservedly. “I’m not surprised. We started work on it about two years ago. I’d imagine Bischoff wouldn’t want you to know. And as for our World Champion, Vince Russo, I doubt it even crossed his mind. Unless it involves a pair of naked breasts, he knows nothing about it. The place opens tomorrow. That’s where you’ll be working. You’ve got an assistant and everything.”

“Sure,” I said. I was still overwhelmed. “What time should I be there?”

He got up. “Nine sounds good.” He went to the door, but turned back. “You know, I was going to tell you not to shake things up too much, to just keep things steady until the replacement takes over, but forget it. We need drastic changes. Just do whatever you think is right.”

“I’ll do my best,” I said.

“Good,” he opened the door. “Just remember- this is a sinking ship, make no mistake. But with good leadership, we can start to make some progress. Ratings can change quickly- I don’t know if you’ll be in office for two weeks, four weeks, six weeks, whatever. But however long you are in charge, make an effort to turn things around.”

“Yes,” I said. “I will.”

“Good,” said Siegel as he left. I sat down. This time, it was for real.

Diary Backstory- Part 6

The next morning, I arrived at WCW’s New York Headquarters at 9:00 promptly. I opened the door and went to the main desk, where a secretary was sitting.

“Mr. Fried?” she asked.

“Yeah,” I told her. “How did you know?”

“Because you’re the only person here whom I’ve never seen before,” she smiled.

I returned the favor. “What’s your name, ma’am?”

“I’m Sophie. I’m actually not the secretary, by the way. I’m your assistant. And the secretary, too, I guess.”

“Oh, okay,” I said. Confusing stuff.

“Let me show you to your office,” she said. She got up and let me down a hallway to a door. When she opened in, I saw a big, mostly empty office. A big desk with a computer and a phone, a few chairs, a window, and a potted plant in the corner.

“Here you go,” she told me. “The first thing you ought to do is look over the roster. I don’t need to tell you we’re overspending, so you might want to make a few cuts. However, it would also be nice to bring in some talent- I’d suggest talented unknowns to stick in development, but a few big names could also be nice.”

“Sure thing,” I replied. “I’ll take a look at the roster immediately.”

“Good,” she said. “And you have to book Monday’s Nitro, as well.”

“Yup,” I told her. “I know this is going to be a busy job, but as corny as it sounds, it’ll be a labor of love.”

She smiled at me as she left. I stood alone in my office.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I've used this backstory before. Twice. But it fits the story. Firstly, because I like it and it's the best one I've ever written, and secondly, because it's an out-there backstory for an out-there time and place in wrestling history. If you've already read it, I hope you'll enjoy it again.

Edited by Scott Boulder Fried

Guest ClearTheBong

So are you going to book for a couple weeks and then have another chapter saying whether or not you are good enough for the full time job? Besides that I thought the backstory was great. Hope this turns out well.

Wow.

That was...amazing. I love backstorys that start a few years before and then move on. This should be exciting, theres thousands of possible things that could happen.

You confronting Bischoff is one that i'm expecting and waiting for in anticipation.

Hope you can write shows as well as you do backstorys.

Ladies and gentlemen, bear witness, as THAT is how you write a backstory. I loved just about every single bit of it, and hope you continue on with these backstage shennanigins as well as a look on your new job. You've explained everything in depth, and didn't just make it "I was handed the book because they just gave it to me despite me being a wrestling fan who knows nothing about real booking" like a lot of people usually do. My own personal problem with the backstory was having WCW Headquarters in New York (I don't know if they actually did, I really never followed WCW much, more of a WWF and ECW guy), as that's WWF and ECW territory. But, that's a little thing that I'll probably forget about in a matter of a few minutes.

I just hope you can write shows as good as you do your backstory, because we'll be in for a real treat, and this will easily become one of my favorite diaries here. Keep up the excellent work bro, as I've found nothing wrong with this diary, and have just read pure greatness.

Thumbs up.

WCW Monday Nitro Preview- October 2, 2000

WCW kicks off the month of October with a bang, as Nitro emanates live from The Cow Palace in San Francisco, California!

Last week on Nitro, the world was shocked as Vince Russo entered into a steel cage match with Booker T… and won the WCW World Heavyweight Title!  Russo has promised to vacate the belt on Nitro, but can he be trusted?  Will he give the title belt back to the promotion, or will he simply use it to further his already powerful grasp on WCW and its stars?

On Thunder, Sergeant A-WALL and Reno both won qualifying matches in the mini-tournament for the vacant WCW Hardcore Title.  By virtue of these wins, they will wrestle one another for the title this Monday on Nitro.  Both of these men are rough and tumble brawlers, and it is no understatement to say that things are likely to get a bit wild with the Hardcore Championship on the line!

Match three of the much-heralded Rey Mysterio, Jr.-Juventud Guerrera best of five series will also take place on Nitro, with the winner taking a decisive lead over his opponent.  Rey and Juvi are arguably WCW’s two premiere cruiserweights, and despite the friendship between these two men, there is no question that they will stop at nothing to gain the victory.

Catch all of this action, and much more, live on WCW Monday Nitro, 8:00 PM/7:00 PM CDT, only on TNT!

-www.wcw.com

Your diaries are always great, but there's always the problem you have of sticking with one longer than a month (game-time).

I hope this one stays around for a long time though. Good luck. Oh, and I loved the backstory...for the third time :D

WCW Monday Nitro

October 2, 2000

The Cow Palace- San Francisco, California

Tony Schiavone: Good evening, fans, and welcome to another exciting edition of WCW Monday Nitro! I am, of course, Tony Schiavone, and beside me, as always, are Scott Hudson and “The Best Looking Big Man on TV” Mark Madden.

Mark Madden: Thank you, Tony, but you forgot- I’m also the happiest big man on TV! Ever since Vince Russo won the WCW World Title, it’s been like a dream!

Scott Hudson: Yeah, it’s been like some sort of dream, I’ll give you that!

Mark Madden: I’ll chalk that up to the excitement, Hudson. And the best part is, I have it on good authority that Russo has changed his mind since Thunder- he will not be forfeiting the title!

Scott Hudson: Good authority?

Mark Madden: I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy who read it on the net!

Tony Schiavone: Well, regardless of what you’ve heard, we don’t have to wait long- Russo has promised to not only reveal the truth, but to start off the broadcast tonight!

Actions and Repercussions

Sure enough, the powerful guitar chords of the World Champion’s faux-“Iron Man” theme begin to blare over the public address system. Within seconds, Vince Russo is out from backstage, boos from the crowd enveloping him. However, this is not the Russo of the past several months; this Russo wears a morose expression on his face and carries the WCW World Championship in front of him, holding it out in both of his hands. He walks somberly to the ring, and once there, lays the belt on the mat.

Mark Madden: Awww, no! I don’t like the looks of this one bit!

Russo pulls a microphone out of the pocket of his jeans and begins to speak.

Vince Russo: If you could all bear with me for a bit, I’d really appreciate it.

The crowd boos even louder.

Mark Madden: Let him speak!

Vince Russo: When I got into this business nearly a decade ago, I was hosting a radio show out of New York. It was nothing fancy. We didn’t get interviews, we didn’t get backstage passes- we got tickets to a show, it was a good day. We kept on. We went on each and every week, and I talked about wrestling each and every week… because I loved it. And half a dozen times a year, I’d send my resume to Vince McMahon, along with all the cassettes I could fit in the box. And when I finally got a response telling me that there was a slot for me on WWF Magazine, I shook my partner’s hand and left the show. I had a tear in my eye, but I had a smile in my heart… because I loved wrestling.

I worked at the magazine for a while- I didn’t care if they were calling me Vince Russo or Vic Venom- it was all I ever wanted. But when Vince McMahon told me that he wanted me on the writing team, my dreams jumped to a new level. Now, I was creating for the business I loved. But somewhere- somewhere across the line- I started to think I was bigger than the business. I fell in love with myself. I jumped to WCW in love with myself, and I’ve raped this company because I was in love with myself.

I don’t know what I can do. I don’t know if it’s too little, too late, or what. But I do know that I’m sure as hell gonna start trying. I sat down with The Cat today, and we put together a sixteen man tournament with some of the best talent in WCW. The winner is gonna be the new World Heavyweight-

Russo is interrupted mid-sentence by a wailing siren. Scott Steiner makes his way to the ring amidst music and flashing lights.

Scott Hudson: What’s this all about?

Tony Schiavone: Can’t the man speak? For once, Russo was actually making sense!

Steiner enters the ring with a microphone of his own in hand.

Scott Steiner: This ain’t gonna take but a second, but in case your ass forgot, you and me made a deal a couple weeks back. I watched your ass, I kept things right for you, and when you screwed your way to that belt, you gave it to me!

Russo simply hangs his head.

Vince Russo: I know, Scotty. And the way I feel right now, the last thing I want to do is go back on my word. But… I have to. This is the only way I can ever try to make things right. Ya gotta understand me, Scotty. But, for what it’s worth, you’re in the tournament. Good luck, bro.

Russo heads to the edge of the ring. Before he can leave, Steiner starts to speak again.

Scott Steiner: You just hold your ass there a minute, Russo! You wanna piss and cry, you can do it until you rot dead in ground, you son of a bitch! But before you take one more damn step, you’re gonna strap that WCW Title around my waist!

Russo looks back at Steiner, then steps through the ropes and heads out onto the apron. Steiner pulls off his chainmail headgear and his sunglasses, runs to the side of the ring, grabs Russo by the hair, and flings him over the top rope back into the ring.

Scott Hudson: No!

Mark Madden: Hey, I like Russo, but if he’s going soft- and I hate to say it, but he is- Steiner’s gonna have to put the Pump on him!

Steiner lifts Russo up to his feet, grabs him around the chest, and delivers his patented Spinning Belly to Belly Suplex. With Russo flat on the mat, Steiner makes the “It’s Over” signal with his arms. He flips Russo over, then applies the Steiner Recliner!

Tony Schiavone: This is unbelievable! “Big Poppa Pump” is mutilating a man just for doing the right thing! Russo shows a soul for the first time in… I don’t know how long, and Steiner won’t let him live it down!

Blood starts to drip out of Vince Russo’s mouth as Steiner pulls back on the hold. Finally, the damage done, Steiner drops Russo on the canvas. He flexes, spits on Russo, then leaves the ring.

Tony Schiavone: The man could have serious internal injuries!

Mark Madden: No, Steiner looks okay to me.

Overall: 82.0%

Tony Schiavone: Fans, I can hardly believe what we’ve just seen! Vince Russo vacates the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, and “Big Poppa Pump” Scott Steiner absolutely mauls him!

Mark Madden: A deal is a deal, Tony! Snitches get stitches!

Scott Hudson: Snitches get stitches?

Mark Madden: You get the idea!

Tony Schiavone: Unfortunately, I think he does. Fans, up next… you know, I still can’t believe what’s happening. Up next, we’ve got Rey Mysterio, Jr. and Juventud Guerrera continuing their best of five series. This should be a classic!

Juventud Guerrera versus Rey Mysterio, Jr.

Juvi and Rey shook hands to start out the third match of their best of five series, then immediately began to circle one another. Rey broke the pattern, walking to the center of the ring and raising one of his hands, indicating that he was looking for a test of strength. Juvi complied, locking his right hand with Rey’s left. After eyeing one another suspiciously for a few fractions of a second, the Filthy Animals locked their opposite hands and went chest to chest. Rey managed to exert his power, backing Juvi down to the canvas, but Juvi maintained his foothold on the mat and pushed himself back up to a standing base. He shoved Rey back by the hands, then, with extraordinary speed, jumped up and took Mysterio over with a hurricanrana. As he was still holding Rey’s hands, Juvi was able to roll onto Rey’s chest, positioning himself in a cover. However, Rey kicked out, breaking Juvi’s grip.

Both men rolled up to their feet and got into a grapple. Juvi pulled a wristlock out of the lock-up, cinching it in tightly and drawing a grimace from Mysterio. Rey attempted to flip out of the wristlock, but as he planted his hand on the canvas, Guerrera kicked him in the stomach, knocking him down. This gave Juvi the opportunity to drop to his knees and turn the hold into a shoulder grapevine, which he readily did. Rey struggled on the mat briefly, but then planted his feet firmly, sprung over, and rolled onto Juvi, covering him for two. Juvi popped up to his feet, but once again, managed to retain his hold. This time, Rey flipped out of it without trouble, then, holding Juvi by the wrist, whipped him over his head and onto the mat. Juvi kipped up to his feet with a look of annoyance on his face, but it was soon replaced with a wry smile, which Rey returned.

Juvi attempted a grapple, but Rey ducked, slid behind him, and grabbed his opponent with a waistlock. He lifted Guerrera up and pancaked him down on the mat, then quickly hooked him in a front facelock. Juvi got up to his feet and shoved Rey off, sending him into the ropes. As Rey bounced back, Juvi dove to the mat, but Rey leapt over him. Rey came back again off of the opposite set of ropes, but this time, Juvi sprang up and nailed Rey with a precise, powerful dropkick, the force of which knocked one of the devil horns clean off of Rey’s head. Rey got to his feet in time to duck a clothesline from Juvi, then caught a punch and grabbed Juventud by the wrist. Still holding the wrist, Rey slid between Juvi’s legs and popped up behind him, then hooked him in Pumphandle Slam position. Rey lifted Juvi up, but “The Juice” was able to slide over Rey’s shoulder, land behind him, and roll him up for another two count.

Rey pulled himself up to a standing base using the ropes, when Juventud charged at him. Rey dove to the mat, pulling the top rope down, and Juvi’s momentum took him out to the arena floor. As referee Charles Robinson began to administer a ten count, Mysterio ran to the opposite side of the ring and came back with a somersault tope, clearing the ropes and landing on Juventud Guerrera. Rey got to his feet as Robinson hit “five,” then lifted Juvi up and rolled him in the ring. Rey climbed onto the apron and nailed Juvi with a springboard legdrop, but in the ensuing cover, Juventud was able to get his leg on the bottom rope. Rey waited for Juvi to get to his hands and knees, and when he did, Rey took him over with a Magistral Cradle. However, Juvi managed to kick out after the two count.

Rey, having gotten to his feet first, lifted Juvi up by his head. He whipped Guerrera to the ropes and attempted to catch him with a clothesline as he came back, but Juvi hooked his arm around Rey’s and spun up into a Crucifix Hold. However, having expected this to happen, Rey spun around, allowing Juvi’s momentum to carry them both in a circle. When he had sufficient control over both his own and Juventud’s weight, Rey dropped back, slamming Guerrera on the mat with a Samoan Drop. Rey immediately flipped over on top of Juvi, covering him. Robinson registered the count, but after two, Juvi wrapped his arms around Rey’s chest, and the two men bridged up. Juvi turned himself and Rey over, then lifted Rey up for a Powerbomb. However, Rey reversed it into a hurricanrana over the ropes, sending both men tumbling out to the arena floor once again.

Both men were slow to their feet, but when they each reached a standing base, they simply started slugging one another- not with malice or anger, but with ferocity and the will to win. Juvi took control with another dropkick, then, having staggered Rey, he climbed up onto the apron. As Mysterio regained his bearings, Juvi charged at him, jumping off of the apron with a somersault press. Juvi stood up to the cheers of the crowd, then headed back into the ring. He waited there patiently, regaining his breath until Mysterio was able to pull himself back inside.

As soon as Rey crawled back in, Juvi covered him with an Oklahoma Roll. After Mysterio kicked out, Juvi stomped him down to the mat and nailed him with an elbow drop. With Rey down and out, Juvi stood over him and slowly picked him up by the head. With great precision, he placed Rey’s head between his legs. Juvi then lifted him up by the waist and held him in position for a Piledriver. Rey began to struggle and kick, but it was too late, as Juvi connected with the maneuver. He then ran to the edge of the ring, leapt onto the middle rope, and sprang backwards with a quebrada. However, Rey somehow found the energy to lift his knees, thus causing Juvi to drive his own body into them. Both men lay motionless in the center of the ring as Charles Robinson started another ten count.

Rey managed to get to his feet first, still cradling his head. He grabbed Juventud by the hair and lifted him up, drawing a warning from the referee. Juvi landed a few punches to Rey’s midsection, but Rey quickly grabbed him by the arm and whipped him into the corner. Rey followed close behind, nailing Juvi with a clothesline when he hit the turnbuckle. As the crowd cheered, Rey lifted Juvi up from under the legs and placed him gently on the top rope. Rey climbed up, stood in front of Juvi, and raised his index finger to the crowd, indicating that it was time to get some height. Rey jumped up, attempting a Frankensteiner, but Juvi acted quickly, grabbing Rey around the head and legs. He dove off the turnbuckle while spinning Rey upside down, landing on the mat with a perfect Juvi Driver. After the initial jarring of executing the move passed, Juvi managed to drape an arm over Rey’s chest. Charles Robinson made the three count, giving Juventud Guerrera the victory and the 2-1 lead in the series.

Winner: Juventud Guerrera via pinfall

Time: 12:04

Crowd: 61.4%

Match: 87.3%

Overall: 62.5%

Tony Schiavone: What a match!

Scott Hudson: And Juvi takes the lead!

Mark Madden: Credit to both guys, here! You gotta believe that the winner of this series- which looks like Juventud, now- might just lock horns with Cruiserweight Champion Elix Skipper.

Scott Hudson: You’re making sense, too, Madden! What is it, something in the L.A. water?

Tony Schiavone: My bet’s on Bizzaro World. In an important news item, folks, during the last match, the brackets of the WCW Title tournament were officially released. Have a look.

user posted image

Scott Hudson: That’s a heated field, alright!

Tony Schiavone: Not only that, but the Lance Storm-Lieutenant Loco and the Sting-Jeff Jarrett matches will take place tonight. Speaking of which, our colleague, “Mean” Gene Okerlund, is standing backstage with Lance Storm.

Mark Madden: Your colleague, maybe!

Strategy by Storm

“Mean” Gene Okerlund is standing backstage with WCW United States Champion Lance Storm.

Gene Okerlund: Lance Storm, tonight you will face Lieutenant Loco of the Misfits in Action in the first round of the WCW World Heavyweight Championship tournament. What is your strategy heading into this match?

Lance Storm: Strategies are for people with doubts. Strategies are for people who lack focus. Listen to me now, Gene: I am Lance Storm. The day I have a single butterfly in my stomach heading into a wrestling match is the day I become somebody else. Just like every other wrestler from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, I live this business. I was born to wrestle. I was bred to win. And I’m destined to become the WCW World Champion. I don’t care who gets in my way- Goldberg, Scott Steiner, Booker T- I will not be stopped! As for Lieutenant Loco, let me ask you a question: isn’t it funny that the only Guerrero born in America is the only Guerrero who isn’t a legend? The war against the Misfits continues tonight, no matter how one-sided this battle might be!

Overall: 77.7%

Mark Madden: Preach it, brother!

Tony Schiavone: You know, Mark, Storm could be underestimating Loco! We could see an upset!

Mark Madden: Right, Schiavone. And you could win WCW’s next bikini contest!

Mamaluke Showdown

The announcers are interrupted by the theme music of former WCW Hardcore Champion Big Vito. With his stickball bat in one hand and a microphone in the other, Vito heads to the ring.

Tony Schiavone: What’s this about?

Scott Hudson: I’m not sure, Tony. This isn’t on my schedule.

In the ring, Vito begins to speak.

Big Vito: I ain’t supposed to be here tonight, but there’s somethin’ I gotta say. Last week on Nitro, my old runnin’ buddy, my paisan, Johnny the Bull, punked me out in an “I Quit” match. But I’ll tell you somethin’ else- anyone who saw that match knows that I didn’t quit. I quit to a piece of garbage like him, I ain’t never showin’ my face in public again! And, Johnny, if you think this thing is over, then you didn’t learn nothin’ when we were tagging! I’m Big Vito, baby, and I don’t sweat nothin’! Johnny, I want your ass in a rematch. You versus me at Halloween Havoc in my match- a Hardcore match! You got the stones, Bull, get your ass out here right now and accept!

After a brief delay, the music of the Natural Born Thrillers begins to play. Out steps Johnny the Bull, who shouts to Big Vito from the stage. Vito, tossing down the microphone and the stickball bat, responds in kind. Before long, Johnny charges to the ring and slides in. He pops up, and he and Big Vito begin tearing into each other with hard fists. Vito backs Johnny into the corner and starts choking him, but Johnny fights his way out with a low blow. The two rumble on the mat until Doug Dellinger and a host of road agents run in. Arn Anderson pulls Big Vito off of Johnny the Bull while Dellinger and Fit Finlay pin Johnny to the mat.

Tony Schiavone: Vicious! It’s been a long time since I’ve seen two former partners who hated each other so much!

Mark Madden: Yeah, it has been about a twenty minutes since Steiner beat up Russo. Tool.

Big Vito, fighting with a fiery intensity, runs backwards into the turnbuckle, squashing Arn Anderson and breaking his grip. Vito charges Johnny the Bull and begins to rain down fists upon him. Finally, Anderson manages to get his hands under Vito’s armpits. He pulls Vito off and begins shouting at him as the WCW referees head to the ring for additional help.

Scott Hudson: I’m no psychologist, but I’d say Johnny the Bull accepted Big Vito’s challenge!

Tony Schiavone: And you can bet that made Big Vito’s day!

Overall: 53.9%

Tony Schiavone: Well, we’ve got a Hardcore match set up for Halloween Havoc, fans, but we’ve also got one right now! Sergeant A-WALL and Reno will meet for the vacant WCW Hardcore Championship!

Scott Hudson: This will not be pretty!

WCW Hardcore Championship Match: Reno versus Sergeant A-WALL

Reno headed down to the ring with a kendo stick and a steel chair, but Sergeant A-WALL showed no regret at his decision to come empty-handed. Reno left the chair leaning against the steel steps, then rolled into the ring with the kendo stick in hand. He got to his feet and charged Sergeant A-WALL, but A-WALL ducked the ensuing swing of the stick. Reno spun around in time to catch a fist to the face. A-WALL followed up with two more punches, then grabbed the stick from out of Reno’s hand. The largest member of the Misfits in Action then whipped Reno towards the opposite side of the ring. As Reno bounded back, A-WALL simply held the kendo stick out horizontally. Reno clotheslined himself against the stick and hit the mat. With the bearings he could muster, Reno rolled out of the ring and propped himself up against the apron.

Sergeant A-WALL, however, was just getting fired up. Stepping over the top rope, he went out to the apron, then hopped down to the arena floor. He grabbed Reno’s head from behind, spun him around, and slammed his head into the steel guardrail. Reno staggered back, screaming, but when A-WALL attempted to capitalize on his advantage, Reno instinctively kicked him low. A-WALL collapsed to the ground, and Reno took a few seconds to catch his breath. Having sufficiently recovered, Reno rolled into the ring, grabbed his kendo stick, and headed back out to the apron. A-WALL, in the process of getting back up, was doubled over, giving Reno the perfect opportunity to strike. He leapt off of the apron, brandishing the stick, but as he landed, A-WALL sprung up and grabbed him around the throat. A-WALL attempted to lift Reno, but before he could, Reno clipped him in the head with a haphazard shot from the kendo stick. A-WALL grip was broken, and following another, more focused shot from the kendo stick, he was back on the floor.

Reno wasted little time in choking A-WALL with the kendo stick, burying it into his neck as the big man tried to fight back. Finally, Reno’s appetite for violence temporarily sated, he covered A-WALL on the floor. However, A-WALL still had enough strength left to kick out. A frustrated Reno started stomping away on his opponent, viciously smattering him with boots as he held the railing for balance. Reno finally ended his attack- however, it was only so that he could retrieve the steel chair he had brought to the ring. He found it where he left it, leaning against the steel steps. As he brought it back, though, Sergeant A-WALL got to his feet. He stopped Reno’s charge with a knee to the stomach, then grabbed Reno by the arm and whipped him, with excessive force, into the steel steps. Reno hit them knee-first, flipped over the steps, and his chair went flying up onto the entrance ramp.

Ready to move in for the kill, A-WALL yelled to the crowd. He climbed over the ring steps, lifted Reno to his feet, and actually managed to beal him up onto the elevated ramp. A-WALL climbed up after Reno, cradled his head, and punched him about the face and chest several times. After doing some damage, A-WALL got to his feet, then lifted Reno up. With a smile on his face, A-WALL grabbed Reno and bodyslammed him on the ramp with a sickening thud. He motioned to the crowd that it was time to lift Reno up again, and was met with a modest cheer. He pulled Reno up to his feet by his braid, ran him over to the ring, and tossed him over the ropes back inside. A-WALL followed Reno back in, ready to finish things off. He lifted Reno to his feet and whipped him into the ropes, then caught him by the throat as he bounced back. Reno broke the hold yet again, this time with the second low kick of the match. As A-WALL staggered away from his opponent, Reno grabbed his head from behind. He hooked it under his arm and Rolled the Dice on A-WALL with little resistance. Reno followed up with the cover, scoring the three count and winning the WCW Hardcore Title.

Winner: Reno via pinfall

Time: 7:17

Crowd: 43.0%

Match: 36.7%

Overall: 26.0%

Tony Schiavone: Reno pulls off a surprising win over the big man of the Misfits in Action!

Mark Madden: No surprise at all, Tony! A-WALL’s gone soft since joining with those losers! He was easy pickings for Reno!

Scott Hudson: I wouldn’t exactly call it easy, Mark.

Mark Madden: I didn’t exactly ask you, Hudson!

A Dangerous Assumption

A high-pitched laughter blares over the loudspeakers- the opening to the theme music of David Flair. Flair heads down to ringside clutching his precious crowbar. He picks up a microphone from a stagehand, then rolls into the ring.

Scott Hudson: Talk about nutty! Last time we saw this guy, he was about to break into somebody’s house!

David Flair: Hee, hee… I’m… hee, hee… I’m the kind of guy who likes to let my actions speak louder than my words!

With that, Flair points his crowbar at the jumbo screen. A video begins to roll.

David Flair is shown standing outside of the same house from last week’s video- 977 Oglethorpe, Atlanta, Georgia. He peers into the window, giggles to himself, and holds his crowbar close to his chest. With a deliberate pace, he heads to the front door and raps on it three times with the crowbar. After a few moments, the door opens. Buff Bagwell is standing in the entrance.

Buff Bagwell: Dave? Something wr-

David Flair immediately strikes Bagwell across the chest with the crowbar, knocking him to the floor. Flair stands over Bagwell, repeatedly whacking him with the crowbar all over his body.

David Flair: Die! Die! You get what you deserve! Hee, hee! Die!

Flair continues to rain down on a screaming Bagwell with shot after shot. As the beating continues, Bagwell’s shouts grow dimmer and dimmer.

The video ends.

David Flair: Hee, hee! I haven’t even started yet, Buff! That beating… hee… it’s going to be the happiest memory of your short life!

Without warning, a frantic Stacy Keibler runs out onto the stage.

Stacy Keibler: No! No, David! Please! You can’t do this!

David Flair: Hi, Stacy!

Stacy Keibler: You can’t do this, David!

David Flair: I have to, Stacy! When I destroy Buff Bagwell, the baby becomes mine, and we can all be a family, hee, hee!

Stacy Keibler: No, David! Listen to me, please! Buff isn’t the father of the baby!

David Flair’s face falls.

David Flair: No! You’re lying! You’re lying to protect him! You don’t need to protect him, Stacy! You’re mine, not his! I love you, Buff doesn’t!

Stacy Keibler: I’m not lying, David! Buff’s not the father! He’s not-

Stacy breaks down into tears and runs backstage.

David Flair: If he’s not… then who the hell is?

Tony Schiavone: I think that young man just asked the million dollar question!

Overall: 76.2%

Scott Hudson: David Flair seriously needs help!

Mark Madden: Please! What guy hasn’t gotten a little shaken up over a backstabbing woman?

Tony Schiavone: The stories you could tell, huh, Mark?

Mark Madden: Gimme enough time, I’ll tell you anything!

Scott Hudson: Cut him off, quick!

Tony Schiavone: The tournament begins next, fans! Lance Storm versus Lieutenant Loco!

Lance Storm versus Lieutenant Loco

An irate Lieutenant Loco charged Lance Storm to start, but Storm quickly caught him in the gut with the side of his knee. With Loco doubled over, Storm grabbed him by the arm and hair and launched him into the corner. Despite referee Mickey Jay’s objections, Storm raised his leg and choked Loco with his boot, burying him in the turnbuckle. After Mickey Jay reached a four count, Storm broke the hold. With Loco still in pain against the turnbuckle, Storm reared back and delivered a chop that echoed across the arena. Lieutenant Loco collapsed to the mat, clutching his chest.

Storm didn’t waste a moment in continuing his assault. He bent down, lifted Loco up to his feet, and whipped him across the ring. As Loco bounced back, Storm jumped in the air and delivered a crisp leg lariat to Loco’s face. Storm covered Lieutenant Loco, but only scored a two count. With a cold intensity in his eyes, Storm lifted Loco to his feet and whipped him again. When Loco came running back, Storm threw another leg lariat. However, this time Loco rolled to the mat, dodging the kick and causing Storm to fall to the canvas directly on his shoulders. Loco immediately pounced on him, showering him with right hands. With Storm still dazed, Loco got to his feet and delivered a kneedrop to his opponent’s sternum. Loco made the cover, but Storm managed to kick out powerfully after a one count.

Both men got back to their feet, Storm eyeing Loco cautiously, and Loco appearing to be hitting his stride. Storm went for a grapple, but Loco slid underneath his legs, came up behind him, and caught Storm in between the shoulderblades with a dropkick. Storm bounced into the ropes, and as he stumbled back, Loco rolled him up with a schoolboy pin. Even with a fistful of tights, a nod to his Guerrero heritage, Loco could not keep Storm down for more than a long two count. Nevertheless, this did not discourage him. Loco hit Storm with a couple of chops to the chest, then threw a dropkick at his shin. However, Storm leapt up in the air, evading the dropkick and coming down with a legdrop across the back of Loco’s head. Storm pounced back on Lieutenant Loco, pulled his head back by the hair, and with his right arm, hit several crossface shots across Loco’s face. When Mickey Jay threatened disqualification, Storm got back to his feet.

Storm headed out to the ring apron, where he waited patiently until Loco got back to his feet. At exactly the right moment, Storm jumped onto the top rope and sprung off, nailing Loco in the face with a Missile Dropkick. Storm once again waited for Loco to arise, which he did by pulling himself up in the corner. As soon as he had reached a standing base, Storm charged in with an Avalanche, crushing his smaller opponent against the ringpost. Before Loco could fall to the mat, Storm grabbed him around the head, hooked his tights, and suplexed him into the center of the ring. With a look of disgusted pleasure on his face, Storm grabbed Loco’s leg and turned him over, administering the Canadian Maple Leaf. Within a few moments, Lieutenant Loco had tapped out, advancing Lance Storm to the quarterfinals of the tournament.

Winner: Lance Storm via submission

Time: 5:33

Crowd: 71.6%

Match: 78.9%

Overall: 60.0%

Mark Madden: See? See? Lance Storm and I were both right! You tag with a guy for a while, you get to know him.

Tony Schiavone: All due credit to Storm, but you must admit, Mark- Lieutenant Loco did put on an impressive performance!

Mark Madden: He wrestled Lance Storm and lived to tell the tale- you’re right, Tony, he did impress me!

Scott Hudson: Let’s take a look at the updated brackets.

user posted image

Tony Schiavone: Quite a field, and Storm makes the first impression.

The Gift of Education

WCW World Tag Team Champions Sean O’Haire and Mark Jindrak are sitting backstage in a locker room, a blank monitor in front of them.

Sean O’Haire: So what happened next?

Mark Jindrak: They left. Niles and Daphne left the wedding together.

Sean O’Haire: Wow. And when’s the season premiere?

Suddenly, the locker room door swings open. Kevin Nash enters.

Mark Jindrak: Yo, Coach!

Sean O’Haire: How’s it going, man?

Kevin Nash: It’s gonna start going right now. Sit your asses down in those chairs and keep your eyes peeled to this monitor.

Jindrak and O’Haire turn to face the set. Nash flips the switch on, showing the empty ring on the set.

Kevin Nash: You guys are the tag champs- top of the division. It’s your damned responsibility to keep track of the competition. In a few minutes, Konnan and Kidman are gonna take on DISQO and Alex Wright.

Mark Jindrak: So?

Nash slams his hand down on the set.

Kevin Nash: So you’re gonna sit there and watch the match! You’ll take notes if you have to! Keep your eyes peeled!

Jindrak and O’Haire look at each other, shrug, and turn back to facing the monitor.

Overall: 69.4%

Scott Hudson: Say what you will about Nash, but he’s giving some invaluable advice to those kids!

Mark Madden: With Nash on their side, they’ll be the champs forever!

Tony Schiavone: They’ve got more than Nash on their side; they’ve got all of the Thrillers! On another note, fans, I’ve received word that “Mean” Gene Okerlund is standing backstage with Jeff Jarrett. Let’s send it back to them.

The Chosen Journey

“Mean” Gene Okerlund is standing backstage with Jeff Jarrett.

Gene Okerlund: Jeff Jarrett, in only minutes, you will meet Sting-

Jeff Jarrett: We’ve met, Slappy! But you know what, I take that back! I’m in a good mood tonight! Hell, I’m a great mood tonight. Ask me why, Gene.

Gene Okerlund: Um… why?

Jeff Jarrett: Because tonight, “The Chosen One” starts off on the road to the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. I’ve beaten the best WCW can throw at me, I’ve won the belt four times, and I’ve wrestled for it at seven consecutive Pay-Per-View events! Come Halloween Havoc, I’ll be on top of the world for the fifth time! And trust me, Gene-O, this time, the belt ain’t going nowhere! I’ve whipped Sting’s ass before, and tonight’s just gonna be business as usual!

Jarrett brandishes his guitar quickly, causing “Mean” Gene to flinch. Jarrett chuckles.

Jeff Jarrett: I told you I was in a good mood! Settle down, you Jurassic Slapnuts!

Overall: 78.0%

Mark Madden: I love it, guys! Jarrett is gonna be back in the driver’s seat when Halloween Havoc is in the books!

Tony Schiavone: Any man who writes off Sting like Jarrett did isn’t in denial- he’s nuts!

Mark Madden: Or he’s “The Chosen One,” Schiavone. Learn it, and love it!

Konnan and Billy Kidman versus DISQO and Alex Wright

Billy Kidman and DISQO, former stablemates, started the match off. Kidman was all business as he and DISQO circled each other, but he was the only one. DISQO broke the mood by putting his hands up, taking a step back, and wiggling his hips. Though Alex Wright applauded, Kidman was unimpressed. They circled again, this time actually locking up. Kidman grabbed a waistlock, then went down to the mat and swept DISQO’s legs out from under him. He scampered over to DISQO’s head, where he applied a side headlock on the canvas. DISQO rolled back, putting Kidman into a pinning position, but the Filthy Animal managed to shift his weight so that he rolled back on top of his opponent. That plan having failed, DISQO tried a new one. He got to his feet and lifted Kidman in the air- however, Kidman swung back down and took DISQO over by the head. A furious DISQO popped back up and charged at Kidman, but Kidman took him over with a Japanese Armdrag. With a look of bitter surprise in his eyes, DISQO tagged out to Alex Wright. Returning the favor, Kidman tagged Konnan.

This time, Konnan and Alex Wright circled each other. Wright lunged in for a grapple, but Konnan sidestepped him, ran behind him, and smacked him on the rear a couple of times. When a puzzled Alex Wright stared at Konnan, the former United States Champion simply grabbed his crotch and shouted “Orale!” Irate, Wright went for another grapple, which Konnan accepted. Wright quickly got a wristlock out of the tie-up, then dug his boot into the back of Konnan’s leg, causing him to drop to his knee. Wright wrapped his arm around K-Dogg’s, turning the hold into a sort of shoulder bar. Konnan winced in pain, but managed to flip Wright over and off with a drop toe hold. Both men got up, and Konnan caught Wright to the gut with a kick. He then hooked his arm under Wright’s and took the second generation wrestler over with a hiptoss. Before Wright could get back up, Konnan dropped a knee on him and made a cover. Charles Robinson reached two, but Alex Wright managed to kick out.

Konnan lifted Wright up by the arm, pulled him over to his corner, and tagged Billy Kidman. Kidman climbed up to the top turnbuckle and came off with a double axe handle to the forehead of Alex Wright. Wright hit the mat, at which point Kidman grabbed his legs and rolled over onto him in a cover. Once again, a two count was scored, but Wright managed to kick out. Kidman was thrown under the ropes by the power of Wright’s extrication, allowing “Das Wunderkind” to get to his feet. Kidman, meanwhile, stood up on the apron. Wright headed over to him, only to be met with a punch to the gut. Kidman grabbed Wright’s head and jumped back in the ring, attempting a bulldog, but getting none of it as Wright tossed him off to the mat. While Kidman lay clutching his back, Wright treated the viewers to some of his own dance moves.

Sensing his advantage, Alex Wright grabbed Kidman around the neck with a chinlock. Using his edge in strength, Wright literally began to sap away at the energy of Billy Kidman. However, Kidman had the crowd on his side, and it wasn’t long before he was back up to his feet. Just when he managed to escape from Wright’s grasp, though, Wright grabbed a handful of Kidman’s hair and tugged him down to the canvas. With a sneer on his face, Wright tagged DISQO back in. DISQO climbed to the second turnbuckle, and after a brief shimmy, dove off, driving the Village People’s Elbow right into the chest of Billy Kidman. DIQSO immediately hooked the leg and made the cover, but Kidman was able to kick out. Exasperated, DISQO lifted Kidman up and started throwing fists. He connected with the first two, but DISQO ducked the third, popped up, and hit a dropkick. With DISQO knocked for a loop, Kidman was able to tag Konnan back in.

Konnan charged in with a passion, clotheslining DISQO and backdropping Alex Wright when he chose to get involved. Wright got to his feet first, so Konnan unleashed on him, backing him into the corner and lacing into him with chops, strikes, and kicks. DISQO, meanwhile, had rolled back to his corner, where he was keeping his sometimes companion, sometimes weapon- the Disco Duck. DISQO grabbed the Duck, staggered to his feet, and caught his breath as Konnan demolished Wright and Kidman lay in his corner. Finally, the time seemed right, and DISQO approached Konnan. He spun him around by the shoulder and reared back with the Disco Duck, but K-Dogg managed to kick DISQO in the stomach before the damage could be done. Konnan followed up on his good fortune by grabbing DISQO’s head, hooking his leg, lifting him, and drilling him into the mat with the 187. With Wright incapacitated, Konnan had no trouble getting the pin on DISQO.

Winners: Konnan and Billy Kidman via pinfall

Time: 8:28

Crowd: 70.5%

Match: 68.0%

Overall: 70.8%

Tony Schiavone: Konnan and Kidman pick up the victory!

Mark Madden: And that stupid damned duck is the reason! I love it!

Scott Hudson: You’d better believe that Jindrak and O’Haire were watching that match, though! They’re scouting, now!

Mark Madden: I know! It’s a no-lose situation!

Showtime is Imminent

The camera cuts backstage to an empty corridor. Suddenly, a howl can be heard, and Sting turns the corner into the hall.

Sting: It’s… it’s… it’s… SHOWTIME, FOLKS!

Sting puts his hands to his mouth and howls again as he heads out of the range of the camera.

Overall: 89.8%

Tony Schiavone: Sting is ready to do business, that’s for sure!

Mark Madden: Business? Maybe. The job? Definitely!

Sting versus Jeff Jarrett

Jeff Jarrett stretched his muscles out on the corner ropes as the bell rang, taking a deliberate effort to wear on the patience of Sting. For his part, however, the Stinger seemed as calm and collected as ever. Finally, Jarrett headed out into the center of the ring, where Sting met him with a lockup. After a bit of a struggle, Sting shoved Jarrett to the mat. “The Chosen One” rolled backwards to his knees and stared at Sting in disbelieve. After smirking at Jarrett, Sting howled to the crowd. Jarrett charged Sting with another grapple, out of which Sting whipped Double J. Jarrett hit the ropes and came back with velocity, adding momentum to the powerslam with which Sting caught him. Shaken up, Jarrett rolled to the outside of the ring to regain his bearings.

While Sting stretched his legs and eyed Jeff Jarrett suspiciously, Jarrett began arguing with several angry ringside fans. Having seen enough, Sting slid out of the ring, grabbed Jarrett by the head, and after slamming his face against the apron, rolled him back into the ring. Sting followed suit, pulling Jarrett up by the head and lifting him up in the air in a suplex. After holding Jarrett upside down for several seconds, Sting dropped back, slamming his opponent against the canvas. Sting popped up to his feet, howled to the crowd once more, and grabbed Jarrett’s legs. Attempting to end the match early, Sting placed his right leg around Jarrett’s left, initiating the procedure for the Scorpion Deathlock. However, when Sting bent over to grab hold of Jarrett, “The Chosen One” countered with a roll up. Sting kicked out, but Jarrett had gained the upper hand momentarily.

Rolling up to his knees, Jarrett caught Sting in the gut with a quick right hand. With Sting doubled over, Jarrett got to his feet. He threw an uppercut thrust which found its mark on Sting’s throat. Jeff Jarrett then grabbed Sting by the hair, ran him to the corner, and slammed his head against the top turnbuckle. Sting staggered back, allowing Jarrett to catch him from behind and drive him into the mat with a belly to back suplex. Jarrett covered Sting, placing his own feet on the ropes for leverage. Nevertheless, Sting managed to kick out when referee Nick Patrick reached the two count. Jarrett lifted Sting up from behind, placed his head under the Stinger’s arm, and lifted him for another belly to back suplex. However, Sting turned around in midair, landing straight across Jarrett’s chest. Patrick was quick to register the cover, but once again, there was a kickout at two.

Sting got to his feet, and after a moment of consideration, decided to climb to the top turnbuckle. With Jarrett not yet beginning to stir, Sting headed onto the apron, then ascended to the top rope. He leapt off with a kneedrop, but Jarrett rolled out of the way, causing Sting to crash to the mat leg-first. Jarrett was slow to his feet, but time was on his side- Sting was still holding his leg in pain. When Jarrett managed to get up, he wasted little time in exploiting Sting’s state. Jarrett grabbed Sting’s leg and immediately began to kick away at, drawing screams from the Man They Call Sting. Jarrett moved on to elbow drops across the leg of Sting, then dragged him over to the side of the ring and laid his leg across the bottom rope. As Sting lay immobilized, Jarrett vaulted up in the air and slammed himself down across Sting’s leg. Satisfied with the effect that the maneuver had on his opponent, Jarrett repeated it.

With Sting’s leg greatly damaged, Jarrett saw his opportunity to move in for the kill. He grabbed Sting by the wounded leg and dragged him out to the center of the ring. With a “Whooo!” and a twirl of his finger, Jarrett slapped the Figure Four Leglock on Sting. Jarrett squeezed with all his might, the intense pain causing Sting to slam his fists against his own head. However, despite Nick Patrick’s repeated questioning, Sting refused to submit. When he finally could summon the energy and will, Sting lifted his arm in the air, attempting to shift his body weight and turn both himself and Jarrett over. Jarrett took notice of this, though, and nailed a few quick punches to the wounded leg of Sting. This put control of the hold firmly back in Jeff Jarrett’s hands. He continued to cinch down as powerfully as he could, but Sting still held on. The audience began to clap in rhythm, willing the Stinger to break the hold. He once again lifted an arm to turn himself and Jarrett over, and this time, he was successful. The pressure of the hold reversed, it was Jarrett’s turn to squeal out in pain. Luckily for him, “The Chosen One” managed to extricate himself from the lock rather quickly.

Both men utilized the ropes to pull themselves back up, though Sting had considerably more difficulty. After taking a few moments to get himself back in the game, Jarrett approached Sting, who was still holding on to the top rope. He reared back with his leg, and threw a kick with all of his might. It collided with Sting’s knee, hobbling him but not knocking him down. Jarrett threw another kick, which also hit its mark. Jarrett went for a third, but Sting, using the ropes for leverage, hopped up in the air, avoiding the kick. As Jarrett spun around, Sting grabbed him by the head and set him to the canvas with the Scorpion Deathdrop. Both men lay prone on the mat for several seconds, chests heaving, until Sting was able to roll over and make the cover. Nick Patrick slapped the mat once, twice, and finally, a third time, giving the victory to Sting.

Winner: Sting via pinfall

Time: 9:46

Crowd: 86.4%

Match: 71.6%

Overall: 76.6%

Tony Schiavone: What a win by the Stinger! He advances in the tournament!

Mark Madden: Damn it! What about Jeff Jarrett? What about his quest?

Scott Hudson: A screeching halt, I’d say!

Mark Madden: Oh, shut up, Hudson! Shut up!

Tony Schiavone: What a night! What a Nitro! Take care, fans! We’ll see you at Thunder!

Overall Rating: 68.6%

WCW Thunder Preview- October 4, 2000

On Monday’s Nitro, the foundation of WCW was shaken to its very core.  Thunder promises to keep the excitement rolling as the WCW Title tournament continues!

Booker T will wrestle Shane Douglas in what is sure to be an unpredictable encounter.  Though Booker is a two-time former WCW Champion, Douglas is one of the most evil and vindictive competitors in the entire sport.  There is no way to call this match until it happens; the only accurate statement that can be made is that both men are sure to have their hands full.

Also, Scott Steiner will battle General Rection in a first-round tournament match.  Both of these large men enjoy a good fight, and they are sure to get it.  Steiner will have a rather busy night, as he will also be the guest on Mike Awesome’s Lava Lamp Lounge.  Will Steiner explain his actions on Monday night?  Will the Lounge be able to control his temper?

Plus, it has been confirmed that Goldberg, Kevin Nash, and Lance Storm will all be at Thunder!  All of these men are sure to impact the broadcast!

Catch all of this action, and much more, on WCW Thunder, 9:00 PM/8:00 PM CDT, only on the TBS Superstation!

-www.wcw.com

Guest Prototype

Really good Nitro. You can tell you put alot of work into this. The matches are a little long for me, but maybe Im lazy. I didnt really like the commentating either. But this si still a really good start. I like the tournament and Im glad Jarrett wont be winning it.

• 2 months later...

Okay, so, this diary's been dead. But after reading a particularly epic piece of diary work, I've been moved to do my best. This, being a diary for which I truly had a long term plan, is my very best. So I hope you'll enjoy, and I hope we'll both be able to get re-immersed in it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WCW Thunder

October 4, 2000

Long Beach Arena- Long Beach, California

Tony Schiavone: Hello, fans, and welcome to WCW Thunder on TBS! I’m Tony Schiavone, beside my colleagues Stevie Ray and “The Best Looking Big Man on TV” Mark Madden! The WCW World Heavyweight Championship tournament continues tonight in Long Beach, California!

Mark Madden: And tonight, Booker T goes down to the Franchise!

Stevie Ray: Keep hoping, Madden! My brother’s beat everyone, and I heard you’re next on his list!

Mark Madden: Oh, I’m so scared! Tony… did Booker say anything about me?

Tony Schiavone: I stop listening when people start mentioning you, Madden.

Talking Time?

The music of the Natural Born Thrillers blasts over the arena’s public address system. Within moments, Mike Sanders, Chuck Palumbo, Shawn Stasiak, and Johnny the Bull head out onto the apron. All are smirking, except for Johnny the Bull, who wears a stoic look on his face.

Tony Schiavone: The Thrillers’ll have a lot to say tonight, I’ll bet!

Stevie Ray: Come on, Tony, it’s Mike Sanders! He didn’t cry when he was born, he just started yapping!

As the Thrillers assume their positions in the ring, Mike Sanders takes a microphone out of his pocket.

Mike Sanders: When I got off the plane on Sunday at San Francisco International Airport and I felt the smooth, warm breeze caress my cheek, I wanted nothing more than to have as much time off as possible. And sure enough, when I found out I wasn’t booked for Nitro, I was ready to take the boys here for a night out on the town. We headed out Sunday at about 8:00… and we were back in by 9:30, because despite what anybody says, there ain’t a damn thing to do in this state!

Mark Madden: He’s right, you know. I couldn’t get a single girl to let me buy her a drink at the hotel bar. Frigid as the north pole.

Stevie Ray: Yeah, right, that must be it.

Mike Sanders: You folks who live here are probably too brain damaged off the smog to realize it, but Carl’s Jr. tastes like crap, you seen two plastic hooters and you seen ‘em all, and there ain’t no bigger celebrity in this wang-shaped state than “Above Average” Mike Sanders!

Shawn Stasiak takes the microphone from Sanders.

Shawn Stasiak: And not only that, Mike, but Long Beach is even worse than San Fran! Note to self: cross SoCal off the Natural Born Thrillers world tour!

He hands the microphone back to Sanders.

Mike Sanders: Good point, “PerfectShawn.” Now, I didn’t come here to run down this sorry state… it’s just a bonus. The reason why Mike Sanders and the rest of the Thrillers- except for Jindrak and O’Haire, who’re hard at work with Coach Nash- are here is because of one man- Bill Goldberg!

Tony Schiavone: This, uh… to put it bluntly, this might not be the wisest course of action for Sanders to take!

Mark Madden: And why not, Tony? Sanders is the leader of the Natural Born Thrillers, he’s bulletproof!

Mike Sanders: On Monday night, the brackets for the WCW World Title tournament were revealed, and it just so happens that I drew Bill Goldberg in the first round. Now that would put some fear into a lesser man, but when I saw it, I said to myself, I said, “Self: this is the perfect opportunity to end all the hype, and show the world that Mike Sanders and the Natural Born Thrillers are the new power in WCW.” So that’s how it’s gonna be! Now listen up right here, Goldberg, this is the part you really need to hear. I don’t need an undefeated streak or a bad-ass shaved head to tell me that I’m the best in this company. And come Monday Nitro, when we do square off, your ass is-

Sanders is cut off by the familiar sound of Goldberg’s entrance music. Sure enough, “Da Man” makes his way out onto stage amidst a fanfare of sparklers and smoke.

Tony Schiavone: Uh oh!

Stevie Ray: Let’s see how quickly Sanders can apologize!

Without a word, Goldberg heads down the stage and into the ring. The Thrillers hug the ropes, intimidated by the presence of the former World Heavyweight Champion.

Mike Sanders: There’s talkin’ time and there’s fightin’ time, Goldberg, and this right here is talkin’ time!

Goldberg charges at Sanders, clotheslining him clear over the ropes. Palumbo and Stasiak meet Goldberg head on with a series of punches, but he soon pushes them back and takes them down with a kick and another clothesline, respectively. Johnny the Bull stares at Goldberg for a moment, then hops out of the ring. However, Big Vito comes through the crowd, hops over the guardrail, grabs Johnny, and rolls him back in.

Tony Schiavone: Out of nowhere, Big Vito sends Johnny the Bull to the lions!

Mark Madden: This isn’t his fight, dammit! It’s talking time, remember?

Stevie Ray: Not anymore!

Johnny the Bull pulls himself to his feet just in time to take a spear. Without hesitation, Goldberg lifts Johnny up for the Jackhammer, and slams him back down to the mat. Having left a path of destruction behind him, “Da Man” heads to the back.

Stevie Ray: Even Sanders had to take a lesson about keeping his mouth shut away from that!

Overall: 63.5%

Tony Schiavone: From that, we head to our first match of the night, fans. The feud between the Misfits in Action and Team Canada progressed even further last week when Lance Storm defeated Lieutenant Loco in an opening round tournament match. In this next tag match, Loco will have a chance for some revenge.

Lance Storm and Jim Duggan versus Lieutenant Loco and Corporal Cajun

Jim Duggan and Corporal Cajun started the match out with a lockup, but Cajun extricated himself, raised his thumb in the air, marched around the ring and shouted “HOOOOO!” Infuriated, Duggan charged at Cajun, but Cajun took him down with a drop toe hold and grabbed a side headlock on the mat. The stronger Duggan had little trouble getting back to a standing base, at which point he lifted Corporal Cajun up into the air. However, Cajun managed to wriggle back to the mat, and he brought Duggan to the canvas with a headlock takeover. Cajun took advantage of the situation, immediately placing Duggan in a chinlock. Before long, Duggan got to his feet and threw Cajun off. He attempted another grapple, but Cajun slipped between his legs, popped up behind him, and caught him in the back of the knee with a dropkick. As Duggan went down to a knee, Cajun tagged Loco in. Cajun ran to the opposite set of ropes and nailed Hacksaw in the chest with a dropkick. Simultaneously, Loco sprung from the apron off of the ropes and caught Duggan in the back with a dropkick of his own. The move having taken its toll, Duggan collapsed to the canvas. Lieutenant Loco covered him as Cajun headed to the apron. However, Lance Storm ran into the ring and broke the count after two.

Duggan got back to his feet as Lieutenant Loco ran to the ropes. Loco bounced back with a running forearm, but Duggan countered with a boot to his gut. As Loco fell to the mat, Hacksaw Jim Duggan slapped Lance Storm’s hand, making him the legal man. Storm entered the ring, grabbed Loco by the head, and lifted him to his feet. However, Loco sprang back to action, nailing several fists to the abdomen of Storm and backing him into the corner. Loco grabbed onto the middle rope and nailed a few kicks to Storm’s midsection, but was cut off when Storm grabbed him by the face and pushed him to the canvas. Lieutenant Loco rolled back up to his feet and charged, but Storm sidestepped him and Loco crashed into the turnbuckle. Storm hooked his head under Loco’s arm, lifted him up, and slammed him down to the mat with a belly to back suplex. Storm got back up to a standing position, grabbed Loco by the foot, and kicked him in the knee with force. He repeated the move again, then dragged Loco over to the side of the ring and positioned his leg across the bottom rope. Storm jumped up in the air, attempting to slam himself down on Lieutenant Loco’s knee, but Loco pulled his leg out of the way, causing Storm to land on the canvas. Loco crawled over to his own corner and tagged Corporal Cajun, who immediately grabbed Storm’s arm and rolled him up with a Magistral Cradle. Storm managed to kick out, but the experience left him disoriented.

As Storm got back to his feet, Cajun grabbed him by the arm and whipped him to the ropes. Storm came back with a clothesline, but Cajun ducked. Storm rebounded off of the opposite set of ropes, and when he came back, Corporal Cajun took him over with a backdrop. Energized by the support of the crowd, Cajun lifted Storm to his feet and bodyslammed him back down to the mat. He then pointed to the top turnbuckle, and the crowd responded even louder. Cajun headed to the apron and climbed to the top as Storm staggered to his feet, then jumped off with a high crossbody. However, Storm managed to catch Cajun in mid-air, and, using his own momentum, drove him down with a hard powerslam. Storm held on for the cover, and the pinfall was only avoided when Lieutenant Loco entered the ring and attacked him.

With Cajun severely stunned, Storm tagged Hacksaw Jim Duggan back in. Duggan entered the ring and mockingly marched around a bit with his thumb held down. He was booed soundly for his insulting gesture, at which point he dropped a knee across the chest of Corporal Cajun. With the Corporal easy pickings, Duggan pulled him up by the hair, whipped him to the ropes, and caught him with a shoulder as he rebounded. Cajun crumbled to the mat, at which point Duggan applied a rear chinlock. With Duggan’s size and power advantage, he had little trouble subduing Cajun with the hold. Corporal Cajun sunk into a state of semi-consciousness, at which point referee Charles Robinson checked his hand to see if he was alert enough to continue. Cajun’s hand dropped once, at which point Robinson lifted it again. It fell a second time, but when Robinson lifted it once more, Cajun kept his arm up. He got up to his feet and started pounding elbow after elbow into the gut of Duggan into an attempt to extricate himself. Corporal Cajun managed to crack the hold, but Duggan kept hold of a handful of Cajun’s hair and yanked him down to the mat. Jim Duggan followed up with a splash, but Cajun rolled out of the way and Duggan knocked himself silly on the mat. He scampered over to his own corner and made the tag to Lieutenant Loco, who entered with a fiery intensity.

Loco charged in with an elbow drop on Duggan, then caught an entering Lance Storm with a hiptoss. Both members of Team Canada got back to their feet, which led to Duggan throwing a clothesline. Loco ducked, and Storm ended up getting leveled. A surprised Hacksaw was easy pickings for a DDT from Lieutenant Loco. Loco followed up with the cover, but Storm broke it, lifted Loco up, and suplexed him. Storm then dragged Duggan over to their corner, went out to the apron, and made the tag. Now officially legal, Storm headed into the ring, grabbed Loco by the head, and attempted to lift him to his feet. However, Loco countered by rolling Storm up. Storm kicked out at the two count, but Loco nailed him in the chin with a dropkick. With Storm flat on the canvas, Cajun begged for a tag. Loco obliged, and Corporal Cajun headed up to the top turnbuckle. He sailed off with a Guillotine Legdrop, but Storm rolled out of the way, causing Cajun to crash to the mat, his goal unrealized. Storm immediately popped to his feet, grabbed Cajun by the leg, and applied the Canadian Maple Leaf. Before Lieutenant Loco could break the hold, Cajun had tapped out, giving Lance Storm and Jim Duggan the victory.

Winners: Lance Storm and Jim Duggan via submission

Time: 11:14

Crowd: 68.2%

Match: 70.7%

Overall: 59.6%

Mark Madden: Storm wins again, Tony! Like him or not, you better respect him! And you better like him, too!

The Finer Points of Negotiation

The camera cuts to the office of WCW Commissioner Ernest “The Cat” Miller. He is seated behind his desk, going over some paperwork. A knock sounds at the door.

The Cat: Go away!

The knock repeats, this time louder. The Cat stands up from his chair.

The Cat: What the hell? I said get your ass-

The Cat is startled as the door breaks open. Goldberg enters the office, still angered from his earlier confrontation.

Bill Goldberg: My match with Sanders on Nitro… I want it to be no DQ. At all.

The Cat: You- you got it. Now get the hell out of my office, man! I’ve got work to do!

Placated, Goldberg leaves The Cat’s office.

Overall: 87.4

Tony Schiavone: I wouldn’t want to be Sanders on Monday, that’s for sure!

Stevie Ray: I wouldn’t want to be Sanders any day!

Mark Madden: How dense are you guys? This means everyone can get involved in the match! The Thrillers, Nash, everybody Goldberg’s ever held back in his career… I wouldn’t be surprised to see a hundred guys run in on Mike Sanders’s behalf!

Tony Schiavone: Well, there’s no denying that the Thrillers will be involved… we’ll have to see how this one plays out.

Distress Rehearsal

The camera cuts backstage once again, this time, to the locker room of Three Count. Evan Karagias, Shannon Moore, and Shane Helms appear to be busy practicing some dance moves.

Shane Helms: Evan, I’m a little confused here, man. Why are we pivoting so soon after we pivoted twice? Is it gonna make sense?

Evan Karagias: It looks great that way, Shane, and you look great doing it. Besides, you’re not the one making all the mistakes.

Karagias glares at Shannon Moore.

Shannon Moore: Hey, Ev, I’m the one with a match tonight! I gotta focus on Yang!

Evan places his hands on either side of Shannon’s head, then looks him straight in the eye.

Evan Karagias: That’s not Three Count talk, man. We’ve come too far for that sort of crap. We’ve got ‘N Sync in tears, and we’ve got 98 degrees runnin’ a fever! Look at me, look at me, Shannon. The Jung Dragons are nothing. We’re the ones hitting it big. They can’t perform, they can’t wrestle, they don’t have the gold record, man. You hear what I’m telling you?

Shannon Moore: Yeah.

Evan Karagias: What?

Shannon Moore: Yeah!

Karagias takes his hands off of Moore’s head and slaps him on the shoulder.

Evan Karagias: Good man. Now let’s take it from the top.

Overall: 62.4

Stevie Ray: That was a little… weird.

Mark Madden: Hey, that’s how gold records get made, Stevie! Not that you’d know. You spent your career taking hits!

Stevie Ray: My career ain’t over yet, Madden, if you’d care to get in the ring!

Tony Schiavone: Not now you don’t, the tournament is about to continue! Booker T is going to take on Shane Douglas!

Stevie Ray: I’ve been looking forward to this one! Come on, let’s show the people at home the brackets! Suckas needs to know!

user posted image

Tony Schiavone: There you have it, fans. So far, Lance Storm and Sting have advanced in the tournament.

Booker T versus Shane Douglas

Booker T and Shane Douglas circled each other to start, both completely focused on the task at hand. They started out with a lockup, with Douglas grabbing a wristlock. He wrenched in on it, drawing a grimace from Booker T. However, the two-time former WCW Champion managed to grab “The Franchise’s” hand and reverse the wristlock into one of his own. It was Booker’s turn to inflict pain, which he did doubly by chopping Douglas across the chest with his spare hand. It wasn’t until Douglas dropped to his knees, hooked his free hand around Booker’s leg, and took him over with a Fireman’s Carry that the lock was broken. Both men got back to their feet and locked up once again. This time, Douglas broke it by nailing Booker with a low blow. As he crumbled to the mat, Torrie Wilson clapped for her charge. Douglas pulled Booker back to his feet and drilled him with a forearm. Booker was staggered, allowing “The Franchise” to grab his arm and whip him across the ring. Booker hit the ropes, bounced back, and was caught by Douglas, who drove him into the mat with his signature Belly to Belly Suplex. Douglas hooked the leg and made the cover, but Booker was able to kick out after two.

Douglas still had more tricks up his sleeve, however. He got to his feet and began putting the boots to Booker, stomping and kicking his back and head. Douglas took a step back to let Booker get to his feet, then grabbed him around the chest in order to deliver the Franchiser. Booker broke the hold with a knee to Douglas’s gut, then tried to assert himself in the match via a barrage of chops and punches. He backed Douglas into the corner, where Booker nailed him with a crescent kick to the chin. Douglas staggered out into a jumping side kick, which Booker followed up with a cover for two. Booker T lifted Douglas back up to his feet and whipped him to the ropes. Booker threw another jumping side kick as Douglas bounded back, but “The Franchise” ducked underneath. He hit the opposite set of ropes, sprung back, and leveled Booker with a clothesline. He followed up with a kneedrop across Booker’s face, then covered with a lateral press for two. Trying to slow down the pace of the match, Douglas lifted Booker to a sitting position, drove his knee into the former champion’s back, and applied a surfboard hold. Douglas kept the hold locked in as Booker T struggled, but Booker soon managed to get back to a standing base. Douglas retained his grasp on Booker’s arms until the former Harlem Heat member caught “The Franchise” in the gut with a back kick. Booker spun around to face Douglas, and the two men glared at each other.

Douglas went for a grapple, but Booker T ducked and grabbed him in a waistlock. Shane Douglas tried to struggle out of it, but Booker lifted him up and slammed him down on the mat. Booker immediately hooked Douglas’s leg and covered him, but he kicked out at two. Booker got to his feet, lifted Douglas up, and attempted to whip him. However, “The Franchise” reversed the whip and flung Booker over the ropes by his arm. Booker fell to the arena floor, smacking the small of his back on the ring apron as he went down. Shane Douglas followed him out, lifted Booker up to his feet, grabbed him around the waist, and rammed him, back-first, into the apron. Douglas lifted Booker up yet again and gave him a devastating backbreaker. Douglas rolled back into the ring as referee Randy Anderson began to administer the ten count. Using the apron for support, Booker T managed to pull himself to his feet. At the eight count, he rolled back into the ring.

Douglas was quick to lift Booker up, and give him another backbreaker inside the ring. Rather than go for the cover, though, Douglas grabbed Booker by his hair and pulled him to his feet. He then grabbed Booker around the waist, hoisted him up, and rammed his lower back into the top turnbuckle. Douglas dropped Booker T to the mat, then wiped his own forehead and flicked the sweat onto his opponent. Douglas cackled cockily, then pulled Booker up by the arm. He grabbed Booker T’s head and leg, looking to end things with the Pittsburgh Plunge. However, Booker broke Douglas’s grip with a few quick jabs to the side of his gut. Having knocked Douglas back half a step, Booker fired of a desperation leaping clothesline. Both men fell to the canvas and remained there until approximately halfway through Anderson’s standing ten count. When they reached their feet, they began to trade punches. Douglas hit two in a row, then drove a knee into Booker’s gut, doubling him over. “The Franchise” set Booker T up for a Piledriver, but Booker reversed it with a backdrop. However, that took even more out of Booker’s already-damaged back, and he collapsed to his knees.

This time, Booker was up before Douglas. He waited for Shane to get to his feet, then grabbed his head and tried to lift him for a suplex. However, with his lower back in bad shape, Booker was unable to hoist Douglas up. “The Franchise” tried to reverse into a suplex of his own, but Booker slid out, fell behind, spun Douglas around, kicked him in the gut, and nailed him with the Axe Kick! Booker T wowed the crowd with a Spin-A-Roonie that he used to get back to his feet, then patiently stalked Shane Douglas. When Douglas got to his feet, Booker grabbed him around the shoulder, lifted him up, and plowed him to the mat with the Bookend! Booker hooked Douglas’s leg, and Anderson registered the three count.

Winner: Booker T via pinfall

Time: 9:47

Crowd: 80.8%

Match: 68.9%

Overall: 81.0%

Stevie Ray: Yes! There you go, Booker!

Mark Madden: Damn him! Damn Booker! Oh, the humanity!

A Word of Caution

Booker T grabs a microphone from one of the ringside tables, then heads back into the ring.

Booker T: You know something, I never got to speak my mind about what happened with me, Vince Russo, and the WCW World Title in the cage last week. I know Russo apologized, and I know Scott Steiner whipped his ass into next year, but I will say this: I don’t trust that sucka. But I ain’t about to complain about what’s done. What I wanna do is give a tip to every other wrestler on the WCW roster: stay the hell outta my way! Last Monday, it was Goldberg who sent Russo through the cage and cost me the belt. I ain’t holding a grudge over an accident, but listen up. This tournament is mine for the taking. Anybody gets in my face- in my eyesight, they ain’t no different than the sucka opposite me in the ring. So y’all better back off, cause I ain’t afraid to get some, and I’m damn sure gonna bring some!

Overall: 84.8%

Tony Schiavone: Booker T makes it clear in no uncertain terms! He won’t stand for another mishap like the one in the cage last week!

Stevie Ray: My brother is angry, Tony- even if he didn’t say anything, it’s best to stay outta his way!

Tony Schiavone: Point taken. And here are those updated tournament brackets!

Mark Madden: Stop rubbing salt in the wounds, Tony!

user posted image

Combustible Elements and Cooler Heads

The stage has been set up with the couch and decorations typical of Mike Awesome’s “Lava Lamp Lounge” interview segment. Awesome’s disco-esque music hits the loudspeaker, and it isn’t long before “That 70s Guy” is seated on his sofa with a microphone in his hand.

Mike Awesome: Hey, cool cats and fine foxes, and welcome back to Mike Awesome’s “Lava Lamp Lounge.” I’m “That 70s Guy,” your host for a trip down memory lane. We’ve got a very special guest tonight, fans. He’s a bit of a wild child, but trust me, this man gets more babes than K.C. and the Captain combined! Please welcome “Big Poppa Pump” Scott Steiner!

Scott Steiner’s music begins to play, and before long, Steiner makes his way out onto the stage. He approaches Awesome, but does not sit down on the couch.

Mike Awesome: Scotty, man, great to have you here. I gotta ask you the one question on everybody’s mind. Why did you lay it to poor Vinnie like that?

Steiner angrily grabs the microphone from Awesome.

Scott Steiner: You shut the hell up and listen to me! The only I reason I agreed to be on this stupid-ass show was to set a few things straight! Vince Russo, he ain’t the good guy! He screwed me over! I put that bitch in the hospital, and I’ll do it to anybody else who screws around with the Big Bad Booty Daddy! That title is mine, it’s mine!

Awesome takes another microphone out of his pocket.

Mike Awesome: Heh, I think a few folks, including yours truly, might have a few things to say about-

Steiner slaps the microphone out of Awesome’s hand.

Scott Steiner: Say what? Say what about what, you piece of crap? You’re gonna stop me? Goldberg’s gonna stop me? Booker T is gonna stop me? Let me tell you something, brother. When I destroyed Russo on Monday, I wasn’t mad, I was getting revenge. Now, I’m starting to get mad.

Mike Awesome: Listen, cat, the Lounge ain’t a place to-

Steiner slaps Awesome across the face. Awesome immediately stands up and gets chest to chest with “Big Poppa Pump.”

Scott Steiner: What the hell you gonna do about that, you piece of polyester crap?

Awesome fumes, but regains control of himself.

Mike Awesome: I’m not gonna do anything, Scott. You got General Rection in a tournament match tonight, and I don’t want you making any excuses when he kicks your ass across this building! Now by my count, you got about half an hour before your match, so you better head backstage and get ready!

Steiner looks as if he is going to strike Awesome, but does not. Instead, he heads backstage.

Overall: 77.2%

Tony Schiavone: Thank goodness Mike Awesome kept things under control!

Mark Madden: Thank goodness for Awesome, anyway.

Stevie Ray: Steiner’s a bully, Madden! Bullies get what’s coming to ‘em eventually!

Mark Madden: Gimme a break, Stevie. This is WCW, not the fourth grade!

Shannon Moore versus Yun-Yang

Yang and Moore circled each other as the bell rang, with the agile Yang hopping from one foot to the other. They locked up, with Moore quickly grabbing Yang’s arm and applying a hammerlock. Moore yanked down on the hold, pulling Yang to the mat. With his opponent on the canvas, Moore- still holding Yang’s arm behind his back- grabbed a front facelock. Yang seemed to be immobilized, but he broke the hold by planting his feet on the mat and flipping himself over. Both men got back to their feet, at which point Yang quickly took Moore over with a Japanese Armdrag. Almost as soon as Moore hit the mat, Yang was on him, grabbing him by the wrist and applying a Fujiwara Armbar. Moore struggled in the hold while Yang, maintaining his composure, kept it locked on. However, Moore still had enough energy left to reach the ropes relatively easily, and thus, the hold was broken.

Both men sprang to their feet. Moore went for another grapple, but Yang slid between his legs, grabbed him by the ankles, and tripped him to the mat. He immediately popped to his feet, walked across Moore’s back, then dropped a leg across his head. Yang followed up with a barrage of stomps, only stopping when Shannon Moore managed to grab the bottom rope. Referee Mickey Jay backed Yang away until Moore was able to get to his feet, at which point the Jung Dragon fired off a spinning kick. However, Moore ducked, and Yang snagged his leg on the top rope. Quickly taking advantage of the situation, Moore dropkicked Yang’s raised leg, driving his boots into his opponent’s knee. Yun-Yang tumbled back to the canvas, allowing Moore to bounce onto the middle rope, spring off, and land a legdrop across Yang’s chest. Moore immediately hooked the leg and made the cover, but Yang kicked out at two.

Moore got to his feet, grabbed Yang by the hair, and pulled him up. He nailed a well-placed kick to Yang’s gut, then draped a leg over his head. However, before he could nail him with the Bottoms Up, Yang pulled his head out from under Moore’s leg and leveled him with a desperation clothesline. Mickey Jay invoked the standing ten count, but Yang got up at five and Moore followed him at seven. Yang threw a punch, but Moore ducked. As Yang spun around, Moore hooked his arms from behind and took him down to the mat with a backslide. Yang kicked out at two, then rolled to his feet in time to be met with a front dropkick to the chest by Shannon Moore. Sensing that the match was his for the taking, Moore climbed up to the top rope and shouted to the fans, where he was met with a respectable reaction. Moore leapt off of the top rope with a corkscrew and landed with another legdrop, this one across the face of Yang. Moore covered Yang with a lateral press, but once again, the Jung Dragon member kicked out after the two count.

Moore got up to his feet and waited for Yang to do the same. However, when Yang reached his knees, he nailed Moore with a low blow. Moore fell to the mat, whereupon Yang grabbed him by the hair and dragged him over to the ropes. He draped Moore’s chest and neck over the second rope, then drove his knee into Moore’s back, choking him against the rope. With Shannon Moore sufficiently stunned, Yang ran to the opposite set of ropes and returned with a leaping knee smash. It connected, and Moore fell to the canvas. Yang covered Moore with his own feet on the bottom rope for leverage, but Moore still managed to kick out. Yang bore down on him, stomping away before lifting him up by the hair and whipping him into the corner with excessive force. Moore hit the turnbuckle then collapsed to the mat, but Yang immediately pulled him up by the hair and whipped him to the opposite corner. Yang charged right behind Shannon Moore, and when Moore landed against the ringpost, Yang hit him with the Somersault Kick. Moore staggered out into a backdrop, which Yang followed up with a cover. Once again, though, he only managed to score a two count.

Desperate, Yang pulled Moore up by his arm and backed him into the corner with a series of punches and forearms. Moore shoved Yang back, then charged at him. Yang tried to counter with a backdrop, but Moore held onto his waist and rolled over into a Sunset Flip. Yang kicked out at two, and rolled to his feet as Moore stood up. This time, Yang rushed at Shannon Moore, but Moore hiptossed him, causing him to collide, upside-down, with the turnbuckle. Yang fell to the canvas on his shoulders, and as Moore stalked him, he slowly got to his feet. When he reached a standing base, Moore kicked him in the gut, hooked his leg over Yang’s head, and nailed him with the Bottoms Up. Moore followed up with the cover, and finally, the three count was made.

Winner: Shannon Moore via pinfall

Time: 8:30

Crowd: 49.9%

Match: 67.2%

Overall: 37.1%

Mark Madden: Moore got his head back in the game just in time for a big win! That Evan Karagias is as good a motivator as he is an entertainer!

Tony Schiavone: No, he motivated Moore pretty well, actually.

Mark Madden: Oh, you’re hilarious, Tony!

Tony Schiavone: Thank you! I’m being told that our broadcast colleague “Mean” Gene Okerlund is backstage with the Misfits in Action. Let’s go to Gene.

Action is Taken

Gene Okerlund is backstage with General Rection, Lieutenant Loco, Corporal Cajun, Sergeant A-Wall, and Major Gunns. Loco and Cajun are still exhibiting signs of pain and fatigue from their match earlier in the night.

Gene Okerlund: General Rection, tonight you will face Scott Steiner in an opening round tournament match, plus you have ever-persisting problems with Lance Storm and Team Canada. What is going through your mind?

General Rection: Scott Steiner! You are big! You are bad! But you make the mistake of underestimating your opponents! That’s what we Misfits thrive on! We strike best when we’re underestimated! You don’t give us a chance, and we take two! Tonight, you may just wind up surprised! And as for you, Lance Storm- we will meet again! The Misfits and Team Canada will battle until one or both are destroyed, rest assured of that! And you and I will meet once more on the battlefield… and I… can’t… wait!

Cajun pulls the microphone in front of his face.

Corporal Cajun: Lance Storm, you and your Canadian crew are dealing with the realest of the real Americans! We’ll fight till we’ve given everything we have! We may all be different, but mon ami, we’re all together to kick your ass!

Loco takes the microphone from Mean Gene.

Lieutenant Loco: And we haven’t forgotten about you, Duggan, you turncoat! We’ll beat the betrayal right out of you! We’ll rip that Maple Leaf clean off your back! We’ll tear you apart! We’ll… we’ll… we’ll do it! We’ll do something, Duggan! Grrrr!

Major Gunns: Ahem, guys?

Everyone turns to face Major Gunns. She rips open her shirt to reveal a much tighter shirt bearing the colors and pattern of the American flag.

Major Gunns: God bless America!

The Misfits in Action all salute, then march off camera single file.

Overall: 61.6%

Mark Madden: Tony, Stevie… morale ain’t all she’s boosting! Huh? Huh?

Tony Schiavone: That’s… wait, what’s going on?

A Dish to be Served

Without warning, Buff Bagwell’s music hits the loudspeakers.

Stevie Ray: Buff Bagwell? How is he here?

Tony Schiavone: This isn’t on my schedule. It’s gotta be some sort of a mistake!

After several moments, Bagwell makes his way out onto the stage. He is bruised and bandaged, and he is walking with crutches.

Tony Schiavone: Sheesh, that number David Flair did on his was just as bad as it looked!

Mark Madden: Ain’t Junior’s fault, guys! Bagwell should’ve thought twice before he stuck his hand in the cookie jar!

Stevie Ray: You don’t really believe Buff is the father?

Mark Madden: Hey, I like Buff, Stevie! But so do the ladies!

With much difficulty, Bagwell makes his way down to the ring. He takes out a microphone and begins to speak from ringside.

Buff Bagwell: You all saw what happened to me last week. You saw the video on Nitro. I’m keeping this short and sweet. David Flair, you cost me my health. You cost me my livelihood. You may have even cost me the World Heavyweight Title, because I’ve gotta go into my tournament match next week on Thunder like this or forfeit my spot. But you didn’t cost me my dignity. Because when I get through this, I am gonna get you, you crazy son of a bitch! I don’t care what kind of state you’re in- this time, I’m gonna see you coming, and I am gonna make you look ten times worse than I look now! Maybe it won’t be this month, maybe it won’t be next month… but the clock is ticking down for you, David Flair!

With that, Bagwell begins to make the trek back up the ramp. Road agents come out to offer him help, but he refuses it.

Mark Madden: Somebody didn’t deny being the daddy!

Tony Schiavone: Please, Madden! This man is in big pain, mentally and physically! This won’t end well for him or for David Flair!

Mark Madden: But it’ll be entertaining as hell for me!

Overall: 58.8%

Tony Schiavone: Well, fans, up next, the lessons for Jindrak and O’Haire continue. Kevin Nash is in action, and you can be sure that the World Tag Team Champions are taking notes!

Kevin Nash versus Crowbar

As the bell rang, Nash held his hands up to Crowbar, signaling that he was not yet ready to compete. He then cracked his knuckles, ran his hands through his hair, and lifted his arms to the crowd. Feeling satisfied, he signaled to Crowbar that it was time to lock up. Crowbar charged in and slunk under Nash’s arm, then grabbed him from behind in a waistlock. Crowbar tried to lift Nash, but found himself unable. “Big Sexy” put an end to the attempts by launching an elbow into Crowbar’s right temple. As Crowbar fell to a knee, Nash turned around and clobbered him across the back with a forearm shot. Almost as soon as Crowbar fell to the mat, Kevin Nash grabbed him by the hair and lifted him to his feet. Nash whipped Crowbar to the ropes and lifted a big boot, but as Crowbar came back he rolled underneath Nash’s foot. Crowbar popped up beside Nash and caught him in the face with a few hard punches. Temporarily in charge, Crowbar scampered up to the top rope and dove off with a high crossbody. However, he had not worn Nash down enough; the big man caught Crowbar, flipped him onto his shoulder, and slammed him into the corner with the Snake Eyes.

Nash was quick to capitalize on his momentum. He lifted Crowbar up once again and shoved him into the corner. Nash choked him with a raised boot, then drove his elbow into Crowbar’s face several times. After framing Crowbar with his hands, Nash caught him with one final elbow. Crowbar collapsed to the mat as Nash, amused with his own success, sat on the top turnbuckle and posed as Rodin’s “The Thinker.” He then lifted his finger in the air and smiled, indicated that he had an idea. He hopped down from the top, waited for Crowbar to get to his feet, grabbed him around the waist, and took him to the mat hard with a Side Suplex. After brushing his hands off, Nash hooked Crowbar’s leg and covered him. However, much to “Big Sexy’s” surprise, Crowbar managed to kick out. Nash got to his feet and stomped on Crowbar, which he eventually gave up in favor of stepping on his head. Referee Mark Johnson forced Nash to stop, allowing Crowbar the time to pull himself to his feet via the ropes. However, Nash showed no mercy, as he drove his knee into Crowbar’s gut and set him up between his legs. With little trouble, Nash lifted Crowbar for the Jackknife Powerbomb, then delivered the move. He made the cover, and this time, the three count was unavoidable.

Winner: Kevin Nash via pinfall

Time: 4:21

Crowd: 73.1%

Match: 72.6%

Overall: 69.0%

Mark Madden: Easy pickings for Kevin Nash! Crowbar put up a fight, but he was no match for the Coach! And really, who is?

A Most Desperate Plea

The camera cuts to the recesses of the arena. Buff Bagwell is backstage, making his way towards the parking garage. As he struggles down the corridor, Stacy Keibler’s voice can be heard from off camera.

Stacy Keibler: Buff! Buff!

Bagwell stops, but doesn’t turn around. Stacy runs up from behind him.

Stacy Keibler: Buff-

Buff remains silent. Stacy runs around him, stopping in front of his face.

Stacy Keibler: I can only imagine how mad you must be. But please, you’ve got to listen to me. David didn’t do all this on purpose. He’s not well, Buff. He’s lost inside himself. I- I don’t expect you to forgive or forget. Just… please let him be.

Buff Bagwell looks into Stacy Keibler’s eyes with an unchanging expression.

Stacy Keibler: I’m begging you…

Buff breaks his eye contact, and continues limping down the hall. A defeated Stacy begins to cry.

Overall: 73.0%

Mark Madden: That’s the first time Buff ever refused to say “yes” to a woman, guys.

Stevie Ray: He’s cold as ice! I don’t think David Flair deserves the kind of beating Buff wants to give him.

Tony Schiavone: Me neither! He’s not even all there!

Mark Madden: Maybe not, but either way, I’ll be watching!

Who’d Better Return Soon?

A silent video plays, in slow motion, showing Chris Kanyon delivering a “Kanyon Cutter” to Diamond Dallas Page on the stage at the Great American Bash Pay-Per-View. When this clip finishes, a silent, slow motion clip of Kanyon brawling with Chris Benoit at Bash at the Beach 1999 plays. The screen then cuts to a video of Chris “Champagne” Kanyon heading to the ring, surrounded by a bevy of women. Finally, a clip of Kanyon Moonsaulting off of the top rope at Road Wild 1999 is played. The screen goes black as the words “Who’s Better Than Kanyon?” appear in blue. Simultaneous, a sound bite of Chris Kanyon shouting the quote can be heard. Kanyon’s music then begins to play as the clips roll again, this time at regular speed. When the clips finish, the screen goes black again. This time, the words “Returning Soon” appear in blue lettering.

Overall: 50.6%

Mark Madden: Kanyon’s coming back!

Stevie Ray: He’s another guy who needs an attitude adjustment, as good as he is!

Mark Madden: Anybody who sticks it to DDMe like he does needs no adjustment whatsoever!

Tony Schiavone: He may be returning soon, but even sooner, we’ve got tonight’s main event: next!

Mark Madden: Real smooth, Tony.

Scott Steiner versus General Rection

Steiner and Rection, two of WCW’s most hard-hitting heavyweights, got nose to nose as the opening bell rang. They traded some trash-talk until Steiner planted his hand on Rection’s face and shoved him back. Rection cracked a smirk, then tackled Steiner and laced into him with right hands. Rection popped back to his feet, lifted his arm to the crowd, and shouted as Steiner got to his feet. Rection grabbed Steiner by the arm, then whipped him into the corner. He followed up with a charging clothesline, squashing Steiner against the turnbuckle. With “Big Poppa Pump” down and out against the ropes, Rection mounted the second turnbuckle and began firing punches into his opponent’s face. After nine, though, Steiner grabbed Rection by the legs, turned around, and dumped him over the top rope to the outside. Rection hit the floor hard, completely ending his offensive flurry. Steiner, meanwhile, flexed a bit, then leaned against the ropes, waiting for Rection to re-enter the ring.

Rection got to his feet, rubbed his lower back a bit, and leapt up onto the ring apron, ready to re-enter the match. Steiner approached him with ill intent, but Rection caught him in the temple with a forearm. General Rection came back in between the ropes, grabbed Steiner by the head, and caught him with another forearm. He whipped Steiner to the ropes, then lowered his head as “Big Poppa Pump” returned. However, Scott Steiner stopped short in his tracks and kicked Rection in the face, sending him reeling backwards. Steiner charged in with a powerful clothesline, his huge bicep catching Rection just underneath the throat. Steiner jumped down next to Rection, did four pushups, and covered him for two. Angered by Rection’s kicking out, Steiner pulled him to a sitting position by his hair and clobbered him with two crossface punches. He then flipped Rection onto his stomach and began to apply the Steiner Recliner. However, Rection managed to slide out from between Steiner’s legs and grab on to the to bottom rope.

At referee Nick Patrick’s behest, Steiner backed off and waited for Rection to reach his feet. When the leader of the Misfits in Action achieved a standing base, Steiner grabbed him by the throat and threw him into the corner. “Big Poppa Pump” caught him in the knee with a stomach, then grabbed him around the chest. Steiner jumped out of the corner, clearly attempting his patented Spinning Belly to Belly Suplex. However, Rection poked Steiner in the eye with his free hand, breaking the hold. Steiner threw a wild punch, which Rection ducked. The General grabbed Steiner’s other arm, whipped him to the ropes, and took him over with a huge hiptoss as the former multi-time World Tag Team Champion bounced back. General Rection pointed to the top turnbuckle, and climbed up the ropes as Steiner got to his feet. Rection jumped off with a double axe handle, but Steiner had the presence of mind and sheer toughness to catch his opponent in an inverted atomic drop. Rection was jolted back to the canvas, where Steiner covered him with a lateral press. Despite the fact that “Big Poppa Pump” had his forearm jammed into Rection’s neck, he was still only able to score a two count.

Undaunted, Scott Steiner got to his feet. He grabbed Rection by the hair, dragged him over to the bottom rope, and laid his throat across it. Steiner then grabbed the top rope and stood between General Rection’s shoulderblades, thereby choking him. Patrick tried to dissuade Steiner, but as per WCW’s lenient disqualification rules, there was little he could do to stop the assault. It wasn’t until Scott Steiner felt he had done enough damage that he leapt off of Rection’s back. The General pulled himself up to his feet using the ropes for leverage, but without a moment’s hesitation, Steiner grabbed him for a Belly to Back Suplex. Steiner hoisted him up into the air, but Rection managed to shift his body weight as he felt, thereby landing across Steiner’s chest in a pinning position. “Big Poppa Pump” kicked out at two, but he was visibly surprised by Rection’s counter.

Both men got back to their feet. Steiner tried to take the offense with a wide right hook, but Rection blocked in and hit two quick jabs to Steiner’s chest. Working on all cylinders, Rection continued the assault until he had Scott Steiner backed into the corner. With a shout to the audience, Rection hooked his hand under Steiner’s arm and sent him into the center of the ring with a massive beal. Without wasting any time, Rection climbed back up to the top turnbuckle. He leapt off, driving the point of his elbow directly into “Big Poppa Pump’s” sternum. After the initial shock of the landing wore off, Rection draped a hand across Steiner's chest. However, he was unable to keep the “Genetic Freak” down for the three count. Still, Steiner was down on the mat, so General Rection decided that it was time to end the contest. He climbed up to the top once more, this time, with his face to the crowd. Upon reaching the top turnbuckle, he flipped off with a breathtaking Moonsault. However, Scott Steiner raised his knees, causing General Rection to drive his own ribs directly into them. Rection weakly rolled onto his back, devastated by the impact of the collision.

With some difficulty, Scott Steiner got back up to his feet. After taking a second to recuperate, Steiner grabbed Rection by the hair and pulled him to his feet. “Big Poppa Pump” wrapped his arms around Rection’s chest and, this time, successfully nailed him with the Spinning Belly to Belly Suplex. A smile spread across Steiner’s face as he made the “It’s Over!” signal with his hands, then flipped Rection onto his stomach. Scott Steiner then lifted Rection’s arms onto his knees, clasped his hands under the General’s chin, and cinched in the Steiner Recliner. With no escape, Rection tapped out, allowing Scott Steiner to advance in the tournament.

Winner: Scott Steiner via submission

Time: 10:06

Crowd: 82.0%

Match: 70.6%

Overall: 69.0%

Mark Madden: Yes! Yes! Steiner wins! He’ll go straight to that belt! No doubt about it!

Stevie Ray: I hate the guy... but he could do it!

Tony Schiavone: He sure could! Join us on Nitro, fans, when we see two more matches in the WCW World Heavyweight Championship tournament! Goodnight!

Overall Rating: 67.9%

Edited by Boulder

Guest Ricc

I'll be reading, just caught up, tis looking good...and Contrary to previous opinion, I quite like the commentary....Ima bit too lazy to read the matches though! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

WCW Worldwide

October 8, 2000

Mike Tenay: Hello, WCW fans, and welcome to Worldwide. I’m “The Professor” Mike Tenay, alongside Scott Hudson, and today, we’ll take a look back at a very tumultuous week, to say the least.

Scott Hudson: Undoubtedly, Mike. And at the center of all the chaos were Vince Russo and the WCW Title.

Mike Tenay: Russo must’ve been expecting things to get hectic when he vacated the championship, but not even he could’ve foreseen what would happen. Let’s take a look at Nitro.

Sure enough, the powerful guitar chords of the World Champion’s faux-“Iron Man” theme begin to blare over the public address system.  Within seconds, Vince Russo is out from backstage, boos from the crowd enveloping him.  However, this is not the Russo of the past several months; this Russo wears a morose expression on his face and carries the WCW World Championship in front of him, holding it out in both of his hands.  He walks somberly to the ring, and once there, lays the belt on the mat.

Mark Madden: Awww, no!  I don’t like the looks of this one bit!

Russo pulls a microphone out of the pocket of his jeans and begins to speak.

Vince Russo: If you could all bear with me for a bit, I’d really appreciate it.

The crowd boos even louder.

Mark Madden: Let him speak!

Vince Russo: When I got into this business nearly a decade ago, I was hosting a radio show out of New York.  It was nothing fancy.  We didn’t get interviews, we didn’t get backstage passes- we got tickets to a show, it was a good day.  We kept on.  We went on each and every week, and I talked about wrestling each and every week… because I loved it.  And half a dozen times a year, I’d send my resume to Vince McMahon, along with all the cassettes I could fit in the box.  And when I finally got a response telling me that there was a slot for me on WWF Magazine, I shook my partner’s hand and left the show.  I had a tear in my eye, but I had a smile in my heart… because I loved wrestling.

I worked at the magazine for a while- I didn’t care if they were calling me Vince Russo or Vic Venom- it was all I ever wanted.  But when Vince McMahon told me that he wanted me on the writing team, my dreams jumped to a new level.  Now, I was creating for the business I loved.  But somewhere- somewhere across the line- I started to think I was bigger than the business.  I fell in love with myself.  I jumped to WCW in love with myself, and I’ve raped this company because I was in love with myself.

I don’t know what I can do.  I don’t know if it’s too little, too late, or what.  But I do know that I’m sure as hell gonna start trying.  I sat down with The Cat today, and we put together a sixteen man tournament with some of the best talent in WCW.  The winner is gonna be the new World Heavyweight-

Russo is interrupted mid-sentence by a wailing siren.  Scott Steiner makes his way to the ring amidst music and flashing lights.

Scott Hudson: What’s this all about?

Tony Schiavone: Can’t the man speak?  For once, Russo was actually making sense!

Steiner enters the ring with a microphone of his own in hand.

Scott Steiner: This ain’t gonna take but a second, but in case your ass forgot, you and me made a deal a couple weeks back.  I watched your ass, I kept things right for you, and when you screwed your way to that belt, you gave it to me!

Russo simply hangs his head.

Vince Russo: I know, Scotty.  And the way I feel right now, the last thing I want to do is go back on my word.  But… I have to.  This is the only way I can ever try to make things right.  Ya gotta understand me, Scotty.  But, for what it’s worth, you’re in the tournament.  Good luck, bro.

Russo heads to the edge of the ring.  Before he can leave, Steiner starts to speak again.

Scott Steiner: You just hold your ass there a minute, Russo!  You wanna piss and cry, you can do it until you rot dead in ground, you son of a bitch!  But before you take one more damn step, you’re gonna strap that WCW Title around my waist!

Russo looks back at Steiner, then steps through the ropes and heads out onto the apron.  Steiner pulls off his chainmail headgear and his sunglasses, runs to the side of the ring, grabs Russo by the hair, and flings him over the top rope back into the ring.

Scott Hudson: No!

Mark Madden: Hey, I like Russo, but if he’s going soft- and I hate to say it, but he is- Steiner’s gonna have to put the Pump on him!

Steiner lifts Russo up to his feet, grabs him around the chest, and delivers his patented Spinning Belly to Belly Suplex.  With Russo flat on the mat, Steiner makes the “It’s Over” signal with his arms.  He flips Russo over, then applies the Steiner Recliner!

Tony Schiavone: This is unbelievable!  “Big Poppa Pump” is mutilating a man just for doing the right thing!  Russo shows a soul for the first time in… I don’t know how long, and Steiner won’t let him live it down!

Blood starts to drip out of Vince Russo’s mouth as Steiner pulls back on the hold.  Finally, the damage done, Steiner drops Russo on the canvas.  He flexes, spits on Russo, then leaves the ring.

Tony Schiavone: The man could have serious internal injuries!

Mark Madden: No, Steiner looks okay to me.

Scott Hudson: We do know that Vince Russo was released from the hospital over the weekend, however, he has gone on record as saying that he has no plans to return to WCW anytime soon.

Mike Tenay: Without getting too unprofessional, Russo seemed to have turned a corner. Steiner’s brutal attack could really harm this company in the long run. Not to change the subject abruptly, but after Thunder this week, I was granted an exclusive interview with Kevin Nash. He had some very interesting comments to make regarding Russo, the Thrillers, and the tournament.

The Mike Tenay Interview- Kevin Nash (Part One)

Mike Tenay and Kevin Nash are sitting in opposite chairs in a well-furnished WCW studio. Both are looking at the camera.

Mike Tenay: Ladies and gentlemen, it is my privilege to introduce to you the subject of tonight’s interview, six-time former World Champion Kevin Nash. Thank you for joining us, Kevin.

Kevin Nash: Not a problem in the least, Mikey. You know where to find me.

Mike Tenay: I’ll dive into the subject that’s on everybody’s minds. On Nitro, your former running buddy, Scott Steiner, absolutely brutalized Vince Russo, when all Russo was trying to do was rebuild this company. What went through your head as you saw the beating?

Kevin Nash: I was… I did a double-take back there, Mike. You see, Russo used to hang with Steiner, too, and I had a really tough time figuring out how he could expect to get away with reneging on a promise to Scotty. I mean, he knows the guy.

Mike Tenay: Are you commending Steiner’s actions?

Kevin Nash: Not commending or condemning. Just surprised Russo wasn’t smarter about the whole thing. Especially considering there aren’t too many guys in this company who’d run out there to save him if things got ugly.

Mike Tenay: That’s a good point. He’s made enemies every day he’s been here. To change the subject around, how have Mark Jindrak and Sean O’Haire, the WCW World Tag Team Champions, been progressing under your tutelage?

Kevin Nash: Hold up there, Mike. I only let the wenches actually get under my tutelage.

Mike Tenay: Let me rephrase that- have they-

Kevin Nash: No, no, I got it, Tenay. Jindrak and O’Haire are young and inexperienced. But you know something? They’ve been in WCW for four months. You can’t- hell, even I can’t- fathom how good these guys are going to be in time. And with “Big Sexy” winding the watch, that’s going to speed things up quite a bit. Bottom line: by the time I’m done with them, WCW’ll have a team that maybe not even The Outsiders could beat.

Mike Tenay: Wow. That is, indeed, high praise.

----------

Scott Hudson: Do you believe that, Mike? A team that not even The Outsiders could beat?

Mike Tenay: Nash certainly has high aspirations for Jindrak and O’Haire. We’ll see the second part of my exclusive interview with “Big Sexy” later in the hour.

Konnan Presents: WCW Trivia- The Question

The camera cuts to a pre-recorded segment featuring Konnan. K-Dogg is standing in front of a brick wall, ready to speak.

Konnan: Orale, this is Konnan, leader of the Filthy Animalz, the baddest of the bad here in WCW, bringing you WCW trivia for this week. Now everybody knows that K-Dogg is a Mexican legend, a TV star, a rap star, and a former WCW United States Champion. But not everybody knows who I defeated for the belt. So the question for this week is, who did I, Konnan, defeat to become the campeón, to win the U.S. Title? I’ll be back with the answer right after the next match.

----------

Scott Hudson: Do you know, Mike?

Mike Tenay: Well, I-

Scott Hudson: You don’t have to answer, Mike. We know you know.

Mike Tenay: They do call me “The Professor.”

Lieutenant Loco versus Kid Romeo

Lieutenant Loco and Kid Romeo locked up to begin the match, but Romeo quickly pushed Loco away and flexed for the benefit of the audience. They booed, and an irritated Loco locked back up with Romeo. Lieutenant Loco grabbed a wristlock out of the grapple, cinching it in tightly. However, Romeo grabbed Loco’s wrist with his other hand and reversed the lock into one of his own. Loco managed to roll out of the hold, then, still holding Romeo by the wrist, Loco flipped him down to the canvas. Retaining the hold on Kid Romeo, Loco applied an armbar, wrapping his legs around his opponent for leverage. However, Romeo was close enough to the edge of the ring to reach the bottom rope, and as such, Loco was forced to break the hold.

Both men got back to their feet. Romeo went for another lockup, but Loco darted behind him and grabbed a waistlock. Lieutenant Loco wrestled Kid Romeo down to the mat, then spun around and locked him in a front facelock. Romeo pushed himself up to his feet, then rammed Loco into the corner, causing him to break the hold. With his opponent backed against the turnbuckle, Romeo threw a jumping roundhouse kick. However, Loco had the presence of mind to duck, and Romeo caught his foot on the top rope. He fell flat against the canvas, allowing Loco to drop a quick elbow across his chest. The ensuing cover only scored two, but Loco was firmly in control.

Lieutenant Loco lifted Kid Romeo back to his feet, grabbed him by the arm, and whipped him hard across the ring. Romeo hit the opposite set of ropes and bounded back, right into a back body drop by Loco. Once again, Loco lifted Romeo up, this time so that he could drill him into the mat with a crisp Belly to Belly Suplex. Loco covered, but could only put Romeo down for two. For the third time, Loco lifted Romeo up. However, this time, Romeo caught the Misfit with a double-eye poke. As quickly as he could, Romeo scaled the ropes and came off with a Missile Dropkick. It found its mark, catching Loco right in the solar plexus. Romeo was quick to cover, but Loco, who had been knocked almost across the ring, managed to get his leg on the bottom rope before the three.

Frustrated, Romeo started putting the boots to Lieutenant Loco. However, when referee Mark Johnson administered a warning, Loco was free to pull himself to his feet. Romeo rushed in and began throwing punches at Loco, most of which were answered in kind. Loco then staggered Romeo with a hard European uppercut, shaking him to the point where he threw a wild haymaker. Loco easily dodged the punch, then backdropped Romeo over the ropes. Kid Romeo landed on the apron, then grabbed Loco by the head and attempted to suplex him out to the floor. However, Loco blocked the suplex, lifted Romeo over the ropes, and dropped him on the canvas with a Brainbuster. Lieutenant Loco covered Kid Romeo and scored the three count.

Winner: Lieutenant Loco via pinfall

Time: 5:05

Crowd: 65.0%

Match: 72.4%

Overall: 76.4%

Mike Tenay: Lieutenant Loco scores a victory over Kid Romeo, an important morale boost after the two losses he suffered earlier in the week.

Scott Hudson: Indeed, and hopefully, a boost to all of the Misfits in Action. Let’s go back to Konnan, and hear the answer to his trivia question.

Konnan Presents: WCW Trivia- The Answer

Once again, the camera focuses on Konnan.

Konnan: Yo, yo, yo, y’all had some time to think about the question, now it’s time for the answer. Wait, you need a little bit longer. Okay, take a few more seconds… THAT’S ENOUGH! Who did Konnan defeat for the WCW U.S. Title? The correct answer is the One Man Gang. If you knew it, muy bien. If not, keep studying. Arriba la raza!

----------

Scott Hudson: Did you know it, Mike?

Mike Tenay: On a more… relevant note, fans, earlier we replayed Vince Russo’s speech on Nitro, in which the tournament for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship was announced. During the week, we saw four first-round matches in the tournament take place. Let’s look at who advanced in those matches.

A video begins to play, showing the endings from the four tournament matches that have taken place. Before each clip, a graphic showing the participants is displayed.

LANCE STORM versus LIEUTENANT LOCO

Storm headed out to the ring apron, where he waited patiently until Loco got back to his feet.  At exactly the right moment, Storm jumped onto the top rope and sprung off, nailing Loco in the face with a Missile Dropkick.  Storm once again waited for Loco to arise, which he did by pulling himself up in the corner.  As soon as he had reached a standing base, Storm charged in with an Avalanche, crushing his smaller opponent against the ringpost.  Before Loco could fall to the mat, Storm grabbed him around the head, hooked his tights, and suplexed him into the center of the ring.  With a look of disgusted pleasure on his face, Storm grabbed Loco’s leg and turned him over, administering the Canadian Maple Leaf.  Within a few moments, Lieutenant Loco had tapped out, advancing Lance Storm to the quarterfinals of the tournament.

STING versus JEFF JARRETT

Both men utilized the ropes to pull themselves back up, though Sting had considerably more difficulty.  After taking a few moments to get himself back in the game, Jarrett approached Sting, who was still holding on to the top rope.  He reared back with his leg, and threw a kick with all of his might.  It collided with Sting’s knee, hobbling him but not knocking him down.  Jarrett threw another kick, which also hit its mark.   Jarrett went for a third, but Sting, using the ropes for leverage, hopped up in the air, avoiding the kick.  As Jarrett spun around, Sting grabbed him by the head and set him to the canvas with the Scorpion Deathdrop.  Both men lay prone on the mat for several seconds, chests heaving, until Sting was able to roll over and make the cover.  Nick Patrick slapped the mat once, twice, and finally, a third time, giving the victory to Sting.

BOOKER T versus SHANE DOUGLAS

This time, Booker was up before Douglas.  He waited for Shane to get to his feet, then grabbed his head and tried to lift him for a suplex.  However, with his lower back in bad shape, Booker was unable to hoist Douglas up.  “The Franchise” tried to reverse into a suplex of his own, but Booker slid out, fell behind, spun Douglas around, kicked him in the gut, and nailed him with the Axe Kick!  Booker T wowed the crowd with a Spin-A-Roonie that he used to get back to his feet, then patiently stalked Shane Douglas.  When Douglas got to his feet, Booker grabbed him around the shoulder, lifted him up, and plowed him to the mat with the Bookend!  Booker hooked Douglas’s leg, and Anderson registered the three count.

SCOTT STEINER versus GENERAL RECTION

With some difficulty, Scott Steiner got back up to his feet.  After taking a second to recuperate, Steiner grabbed Rection by the hair and pulled him to his feet.  “Big Poppa Pump” wrapped his arms around Rection’s chest and, this time, successfully nailed him with the Spinning Belly to Belly Suplex.  A smile spread across Steiner’s face as he made the “It’s Over!” signal with his hands, then flipped Rection onto his stomach.  Scott Steiner then lifted Rection’s arms onto his knees, clasped his hands under the General’s chin, and cinched in the Steiner Recliner.  With no escape, Rection tapped out, allowing Scott Steiner to advance in the tournament.

Scott Hudson: So Lance Storm, Sting, Booker T, and Scott Steiner have all advanced to the next round of the tournament, and we still have four more matches to go!

Mike Tenay: That’s right, fans, and not only do we know that Goldberg versus Mike Sanders will take place on Monday’s Nitro- and that it will be a no disqualification match- but we have also learned that Shawn Stasiak and Mike Awesome will do battle in their tournament match on Nitro, as well.

Scott Hudson: It should be quite a night, truly a “can’t-miss” event!

Mike Tenay: And speaking of “can’t-miss,” here’s part two of my exclusive interview with Kevin Nash.

The Mike Tenay Interview- Kevin Nash (Part Two)

Once again, the camera cuts to Mike Tenay and Kevin Nash in the WCW studio.

Mike Tenay: So, you certainly have lofty aspirations in terms of the World Tag Team Champions. What are your thoughts about the rest of the Thrillers? Who among them stands out?

Kevin Nash: Well, the great thing about these guys is that they’ve all got their strengths. Johnny, he’s a top specimen. He can brawl, he’s strong, and he’s also agile. Stasiak and Palumbo have different styles in the ring, but they’ve both got this sort of movie star quality that makes them the center of attention. And my man Mike- “Little Sexy” himself- he’s the next Nash.

Mike Tenay: What do you mean by that?

Kevin Nash: He’s a guy who’s got my mind for the business. He can play everyone, man. The wrestlers, the fans, the big-wigs. Sanders has got the stuff to go far in WCW.

Mike Tenay: By “playing” people?

Kevin Nash: Take it how you can get it, Mike.

Mike Tenay: Well, let’s change the subject. You were conspicuous by your absence in the brackets of the WCW World Heavyweight Title tournament. Was there a reason for that of which you know?

Kevin Nash: You don’t think they offered me a spot? Mike, man, I’m Coach Kev now. I gotta put my Thrillers in contention for the big spots. So, I sat down with the WCW Executive Committee, negotiated a little here and there, pulled some strings, and guess what? I got three of my boys slots in the tourney.

Mike Tenay: Ah, so that was your doing.

Kevin Nash: More or less. And you’ll see them make good, starting with Goldberg’s annihilation on Monday.

Mike Tenay: Well, we’ll see. That’s all the time we have, I’m afraid. Kevin, thanks very much. It’s been enlightening.

Kevin Nash: You’re perfectly welcome, Mike. I’m sure it’s been real.

----------

Mike Tenay: How about that? A very interesting discussion to say the least.

Scott Hudson: Well, the Thrillers certainly do seem to be his top priority, for better or for worse.

Mike Tenay: How that plays out could be of the utmost importance to WCW. Now, though, it’s time for our main event. Let’s go to the ring as DISQO takes on Kwee-Wee.

DISQO versus Kwee-Wee

Notably, DISQO came down to the ring dressed in his classic “Disco Inferno” attire, rather than his more contemporary outfit. DISQO faked a grapple to start, but when Kwee-Wee came in with his arms outstretched, DISQO caught him in the gut with a hard right hand. Kwee-Wee flipped over and hit the mat, but immediately, DISQO grabbed him in a rear chinlock. DISQO held the hold tightly, all the while brutally jerking Kwee-Wee by the head from side to side. Kwee-Wee managed to plant his feet on the mat and push himself up to a standing base, but DISQO, having kept the chinlock applied, floored him simply by pushing him head-first to the mat. With Kwee-Wee grounded, DISQO took the opportunity to dance for the jeering crowd. He followed up with a cover, but Kwee-Wee managed to kick out shortly after the two count.

DISQO grabbed Kwee-Wee by the hair and lifted him back up to his feet. He launched two hard fists into Kwee-Wee’s chest, drawing an admonishment from referee Mickey Jay. While DISQO argued with the referee, Kwee-Wee took him down with a schoolboy roll-up. He only scored two, but managed to turn the tide of the match to his advantage. Kwee-Wee caught DISQO in the chin with a dropkick, knocking him back against the turnbuckle. Kwee-Wee then ascended to the second rope and began hammering away on DISQO. Despite Kwee-Wee’s antagonistic nature, the audience counted along with his punches. However, after the ninth, DISQO grabbed Kwee-Wee around the legs, ran out to the center of the ring, and slammed him down with a powerful Spinebuster. DISQO then climbed up to the second turnbuckle of an adjacent corner of the ring, boogied a bit, and dropped the Village People’s Elbow across the throat of Kwee-Wee. DISQO covered, but again, was only able to keep his opponent down for two.

Angered, DISQO got to his feet and began stomping away on Kwee-Wee ferociously. He then hoisted his opponent up once more, grabbed him by the arm, and whipped him into a ringpost with excessive force. Kwee-Wee hit the buckle and ricocheted back, giving DISQO the opportunity to strike him in the back of the head with a charging forearm. Kwee-Wee slumped back into the corner, but DISQO was quick to grab him by the hair, drag him to the center of the ring, and drive a knee into the bridge of his nose. With Kwee-Wee on the mat, DISQO ran to the ropes, bounced back, and landed a kneedrop. He covered yet again, pressing his forearm against Kwee-Wee’s face for an additional bit of leverage. However, DISQO could not keep him down for the three count. He followed with a quick elbow drop, then attempted another, but Kwee-Wee dodged the second. He scampered to his feet as DISQO did the same.

Kwee-Wee started mounting another comeback, this time with a series of chops. He backed DISQO against the ropes, then whipped him to the opposite set. As DISQO came back, Kwee-Wee charged and nailed him in the face with a flying forearm. Kwee-Wee climbed up to the top rope as DISQO reached his feet, then leapt off with a high crossbody. He connected with the move, but as the two competitors hit the mat, DISQO rolled over into a cover of his own. He only scored two, but had regained the mental advantage. As both men got back to their feet, DISQO leveled Kwee-Wee with a massive clothesline. DISQO did the hustle, then followed up with a bit of booty shaking. Before Kwee-Wee could regain his bearings, DISQO lifted him to a vertical base, then drove a shoulder into his stomach. With Kwee-Wee doubled over, DISQO set him up between his legs. He hoisted Kwee-Wee up, then drove him to the mat with a Piledriver. However, DISQO was far from through. He lifted Kwee-Wee up again, then crushed him with another Piledriver. After a bit of a hip swivel, DISQO smiled to the crowd, pulled Kwee-Wee to his feet once more, then administered a third Piledriver. Satisfied with the damage he had done, DISQO brushed his hands off, then made the cover. This time, Kwee-Wee was unable to avoid the pinfall.

Winner: DISQO via pinfall

Time: 6:49

Crowd: 52.0%

Match: 67.2%

Overall: 55.9%

Scott Hudson: I don’t believe I’ve ever seen brutality like that from DISQO… but, it was effective, to be sure.

Mike Tenay: Very, very aggressive. I’m… surprised. In any event, fans, that’s all the time we have for tonight. Make sure you join us on Monday as the WCW World Heavyweight Title tournament continues in Brisbane, Australia! For Scott Hudson, I’m Mike Tenay. See you down under!

Overall Rating: 50.6%

Edited by Boulder

Guest Booker T & The MG's

This is the first diary I've read, and has kept my attention in a while. It's got the feel of WCW at that time (plus better booking), you have the commentators spot on, you have made the most of Worldwide when a lot of people (including me) would have taken a shortcut there.

Overall a great read Boulder, keep it up and I will probably read more in the future.

I caught up on this diary this morning and I must say it's very good. At first glance I thought the matches were too long and that could be boring, but I gave the first match (Juvi versus Rey) a read and it had me hooked. The matches are great as is the commentary. I'm enjoying this (Y)

“Dirty” Doug Dirtsheet’s Dirty Dirtsheet

October 8, 2000

That’s right, buddies.  This is the one, the only, “Dirty” Doug Dirtsheet, answering YOUR questions about the goings-on in World Championship Wrestling.  If you didn’t hear it here, it didn’t happen, and if you don’t ask, you won’t hear it… so let’s get to the questions!

Doug-

What’s the story with the new booker?  He just sprung up out of nowhere.  How is he taking to the job, and vice versa?

Manny F.

That’s the million-dollar question this week, Manny, my man.  My sources tell me that Fried has been a contributing writer since 1994, and he got the promotion out of nowhere.  Ah, the freedom that tanking companies have.  Anyway, he’s been given carte blanche, more or less, so everything you’ve seen on this week’s programming has been his idea.  For what it’s worth, which is probably a lot, management has been pleased with the way the shows went down- they felt Fried established a basis for future change without doing too much right off the bat.

Hey, Doug, long time reader, first time writer, blah, blah, blah.  I was watching a tape of Spring Breakout from this year (don’t ask why), and WCW was really pushing The Wall.  Fast-forward to Nitro this week, and he jobs to Reno in a match for the vacant Hardcore Title.  What’s the deal?  Wouldn’t that title have been tailor-made for a big-guy brawler like him?

Pat V.

You, me, and common logic would dictate just that.  The actual story is kind of interesting, though.  The Wall (I refuse to call him A-WALL, dammit!) was actually booked to win the match and get the belt, on line to a bit of a push.  But- and here’s the kicker- he told management that he had no interest in working in the hardcore division, due to reasons of safety.  Yeah, I’m shocked, too.  The only person who buys the division as dangerous is the guy who was pencilled in as champ?  Obviously, if WCW still wants to push The Wall, they’ll have to find a different way.  Expectations for Reno are not high, but word has it that WCW is willing to adopt a “wait and see” policy regarding his title reign.

Dig-Doug, is it true that WCW made an offer to Shawn Michaels?  If they did, that’s the kind of boost that could really give the company a shot in the arm!

Anonymous

What, a lethal injection?  Kidding, kidding.  Michaels in WCW would be an interesting prospect, but I don’t see it happening.  Not only because he knows the big money is in a WWF comeback, but because (and listen closely), WCW has not made an offer to him.  Yes, his contract with the WWF is coming to an end, but WCW has made absolutely no overtures towards him.  They have, however, reported sent out feelers to former Intercontinental Champion D’Lo Brown.  Brown’s case is interesting, as even though WCW is the “sinking ship,” D’Lo ain’t getting much done in the WWF.  More on the story as you ask for it!

Is it true that Kidman suffered a neck injury on last week’s Nitro?  I heard it on a couple of sites, but he finished the match no prob.  What’s the story?

Tony H.

Yes, the rumors are true, in this case.  Unfortunately, Kidman did suffer a neck injury from a bad bump during the tag match on Nitro, and while it wasn’t noticeable during the context of match, it looks to be serious in regards to his career.  I’m not exactly sure what his schedule for surgery is, but it looks like he’ll be having the same sort of operation from which Steve Austin has just recovered.  Of course, that means it’ll be a very long time before we see him in the ring again.  But, on the plus side for him, at least Eric Bischoff doesn’t run the company anymore, huh?

Why was Jeff Jarrett eliminated from the WCW Title tournament so early?  He’s been a cornerstone of the promotion this year and while I didn’t expect him to win, I figured he’d go a bit farther than he did.  Did he piss somebody off?

Walter P.

Vince McMahon, but that not the issue here.  No big story behind his elimination, really.  WCW wanted to start the tournament off with a bang, and that meant two big names in the main event of Nitro.  One had to go, and it was Jarrett.  Supposedly, his defeat by Sting (and subsequent premature elimination) is going to be the impetus for a feud between the two.  If that’s the case, then tossing Jarrett out now is good booking.

Well, that’s all I’ll say this week, fans.  If you still have something on your minds, you know where to reach me.  Until next week, enjoy Nitro, Thunder, and, if you have no life, Worldwide!

-www.dougdirtsheet.com

Edited by Boulder

WCW Monday Nitro Preview- October 9, 2000

For the first time ever, WCW Monday Nitro comes from the land down under- more specifically, Brisbane, Australia!  The Australian fans are some of the best in the world, and there is no doubt that they will be met with an unbelievably wild ride.

The WCW World Heavyweight Championship tournament is in full swing, and the opening round will continue on Nitro.  Not only will Mike Awesome take on Shawn Stasiak, but as we learned on Thunder, Bill Goldberg will wrestle Mike Sanders in a No Disqualification match!  Does that mean that the Natural Born Thrillers will see to an upset?  Or will it make “Da Man’s” demolition all the more damaging?

The main event for the evening has also been announced, and it will be huge- Booker T and Sting are set to wrestle Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner in a tag match between four of the top competitors in the company.  There’s not a man in the group who isn’t prone to volatility, and as such, the main event will guarantee non-stop excitement!

In addition, Kevin Nash, Kronik, and Team Canada will all be in attendance on Nitro.  This will not be a show to miss!  Catch all of this action, and much more, on WCW Monday Nitro, 8:00 PM/7:00 PM CDT, only on TNT!

-www.wcw.com

• 2 weeks later...

WCW Monday Nitro

October 9, 2000

Brisbane Entertainment Centre- Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Tony Schiavone: Here we are in the land down under, fans! WCW Monday Nitro comes to you from Brisbane, Australia, in front of a packed house! I’m Tony Schiavone, this is Scott Hudson, and down on the end there, of course, “The Best Looking Big Man on TV” Mark Madden.

Mark Madden: Thank you, Tony. I’m happy to report that even in an upside-down place like Australia, the locals know greatness when they see it!

Scott Hudson: And I was interested to learn that down here, when I call you a dingo, Madden, it means something else!

Mark Madden: Ha, ha, Scott. Did Qantas lose your sense of humor?

Tony Schiavone: Pettiness aside, we’ve got a lot of great action tonight, including a main event tag match pitting Booker T and Sting against Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner, and two more tournament matches. Let’s go to the ring, as Mike Awesome takes on Shawn Stasiak in the first of those two matches.

Mike Awesome versus Shawn Stasiak

“That 70s Guy” was all business (not just in the front) as he grapple with Shawn Stasiak. However, “Perfectshawn” broke the tie-up by shoving Awesome aside, just so he could flex for thousands of booing fans. Awesome chuckled incredulously, then immediately leveled Stasiak with a clothesline, drawing a rousing ovation. Awesome grabbed Stasiak by the head and lifted him to a doubled-over position. Stasiak attempted to break Awesome’s grip with a couple of shots to the abdomen, but the former “Career Killer” was unfazed. Using his considerable might, Awesome whipped Stasiak across the ring, sending the Thriller crashing into a ringpost. Stasiak fell to the canvas after hitting the buckle, at which point Awesome grabbed his head and attempted to lift him once more. This time, however, Stasiak’s counterattack worked; with a quick eye rake, the former World Tag Team Champion had the advantage.

Stasiak nailed Awesome between the shoulderblades with a dropkick, staggering him against the ropes. Stasiak then grabbed Awesome’s head and launched himself over the top rope, driving his throat into the rope as he landed on the arena floor. Stasiak climbed back up to the apron and ascended to the top rope. As Awesome lay on the canvas clutching his throat, Stasiak dove off with an elbow drop. It found its mark, right in the sternum of Awesome. Stasiak covered, but Awesome kicked out at two. A surprised Stasiak got to his feet and began stomping away, but Awesome shrugged off the blows and grabbed Stasiak by the throat. He flung Stasiak into the corner, then charged in, ramming his shoulder into “Perfectshawn’s” gut. As Stasiak stumbled out of the corner, Awesome grabbed him and gave him a belly to belly toss back to the center of the ring. Awesome then landed a standing splash, bringing near 300 pounds down on Shawn Stasiak. However, Stasiak kicked out of the ensuing cover.

Awesome dropped a leg across Stasiak’s throat and covered again, still only getting two. He then set Stasiak up between his legs, attempting to lift him for an Awesomebomb. However, Stasiak escaped and nailed Awesome with a low blow, sending the larger man down to his knees. Stasiak got up and kicked Awesome in the chest, then pulled him up by the hair. With a bit of effort, Stasiak lifted Awesome with a vertical suplex, then held him upside down in the air. After a few seconds, Stasiak snapped backwards, sending Awesome to the canvas back-first. Stasiak grabbed Awesome’s hair yet again, lifted him to a sitting position, and applied a rear chinlock. With the hold locked in, Stasiak pulled Awesome back down to the mat, then wrapped his legs around Awesome’s body to exert further force. Stasiak jerked his body and wrenched the hold, trying to squeeze the life out of his opponent. Awesome’s eyes began to take on a glassy quality, as it became apparent that Stasiak was succeeding in his goal. Referee Mickey Jay lifted Awesome’s hand for the first of three times in order to see if he could continue to compete, but it fell down to the mat. Jay lifted Awesome’s hand a second time, but again, it fell back to the canvas. When he raised it a third time, however, Awesome was able to keep it in the air. Stasiak tried to squeeze even harder, but Awesome managed to flip onto his stomach and push himself up to his knees. As Shawn Stasiak panicked and tried to all but strangle his opponent, Awesome got to his feet, ran backwards, and slammed Stasiak into the turnbuckle. “Perfectshawn” retained the hold, but when Awesome repeated the action, it was broken. Stasiak fell into the corner while Mike Awesome held onto the ropes, trying to regain his bearings.

Stasiak charged out of the corner at Awesome with a double axe handle, but Awesome caught him in the chest with a back elbow. Awesome then followed up with a kick, knocking Stasiak back into the corner. With no hesitation, Awesome hoisted Stasiak up and sat him on the top turnbuckle. Mike Awesome climbed up the ropes and hooked Stasiak for a superplex, but Shawn Stasiak managed to shove him off. Awesome landed back on the mat on his feet as Stasiak leapt off the second turnbuckle with a flying crossbody. However, Awesome managed to catch Stasiak, and so he slammed him to the canvas with a devastating powerslam. Awesome then headed out to the apron, grabbed the top rope, and launched himself back into the ring. He landed directly on Stasiak, straight into a cover. Stasiak kicked out at two, but Awesome was not deterred.

Mike Awesome lifted Shawn Stasiak to his feet and whipped him to the ropes. As Stasiak bounced back, Awesome threw a clothesline. Stasiak ducked, though, and put the brakes on directly behind Awesome. He then grabbed Awesome’s head and took him down with a neckbreaker. Both men struggled to reach their feet, then traded punches once they did. Awesome gained the upper hand, sending Stasiak reeling with a hard shot to the jaw. He then kicked Stasiak in the gut, set him up between his legs, and lifted him for an Awesomebomb. Much to Awesome’s surprise, though, Stasiak managed to slide out. As Mike Awesome turned around, Stasiak grabbed him and hoisted him up onto his shoulders, setting him up for the Perfect Plant. However, Awesome grabbed the top rope, preventing Stasiak from delivering the move. Awesome slid off of Stasiak’s shoulders, then immediately leveled him with a hard clothesline. Sensing victory was in his grasp, Awesome lifted Stasiak up for the Awesomebomb once more. This time, he was able to hit the move, brutally driving Shawn Stasiak into the canvas. Awesome covered to score the pin and the spot in the tournament’s quarterfinals.

Winner: Mike Awesome via pinfall

Time: 9:39

Crowd: 71.3%

Match: 62.2%

Overall: 67.9%

Tony Schiavone: A big win by Mike Awesome! Let’s check out the updated tournament brackets.

user posted image

Mark Madden: You know when to whip out the brackets, don’t you, Tony?

Tony Schiavone: Don’t make me take them out again, lame-wad!

Ambush Down Under

The screen cuts to a shot of Brisbane’s urban center. Lieutenant Loco is shown walking around the streets of the city, taking in the ambiance and the scenery.

Lieutenant Loco: Nice place! Let me tell you something, if it’s T-shirt weather in October, then this place gets a thumbs up from Lieutenant Loco! Lots of great food, great fun… I’ll tell you something- this week, M.I.A. also stands for-

Loco is cut off as Elix Skipper catches him from behind with a running knee.

Elix Skipper: Stands for what, huh? “Massacre in Australia?” “Mutilated in Australia?”

Loco falls to the ground, where Skipper and an emerging Jim Duggan stomp away at him.

Elix Skipper: You’ve been giving us too much trouble, Loco! And now, I hear you’re snooping around for a shot at my title? I don’t think so! I built this house! In Canada, in America, or in Australia, this is “Prime Time’s” house! You ain’t even in the basement! You ain’t on the property! And you want a shot at the 100 Kilos Title? Let me show you what you’re getting into!

Skipper lifts Loco by the hair and holds him up by pinning his arms behind him. Duggan takes a few steps back and gets into a three-point stance.

Elix Skipper: Get him!

Jim Duggan: Hooooooooo!

Jim Duggan charges at Elix Skipper and Lieutenant Loco with all his might. Right before Duggan can connect, Skipper releases Loco and jumps off to the side. Duggan’s shoulder then catches Loco in the gut and knocks him directly to the concrete ground.

Elix Skipper: Take that! And tell your friends!

Overall: 70.5%

Scott Hudson: What an ambush! That’s not right!

Tony Schiavone: I knew it wasn’t safe in the arena, but you’ve got Team Canada raising the crime rate out on the streets of Brisbane!

Mark Madden: Revenge doesn’t take a holiday, Tony! And it’s got frequent flyer miles, too!

Kidman’s Injury

Tony Schiavone: On another note, fans, we unfortunately must report that during a match on last week’s edition of Monday Nitro, Billy Kidman suffered a potentially serious neck injury. While it was barely noticeable in the context of the match, Kidman was in pain afterwards, and tests showed that he had damaged a couple of discs. Let’s show what happened.

The camera cuts to a clip of last week’s tag match on Nitro, pitting Kidman and Konnan against DISQO and Alex Wright.

Kidman climbed up to the top turnbuckle and came off with a double axe handle to the forehead of Alex Wright.  Wright hit the mat, at which point Kidman grabbed his legs and rolled over onto him in a cover.  Once again, a two count was scored, but Wright managed to kick out.  Kidman was thrown under the ropes by the power of Wright’s extrication, allowing “Das Wunderkind” to get to his feet.

Tony Schiavone: When Kidman was thrown under the ropes, fans, his head hit into the bottom rope, putting undue pressure on his neck and causing the damage to his discs. Kidman will undergo surgery this week, and although it will be a while before he is 100%, we at WCW all hope that he’ll be experiencing his life and his career as normal before too long.

Scott Hudson: Absolutely, Tony. I know Billy Kidman, and as much as he loves being in this ring, and as much of a disappointment as this is to him, he’ll be back. The Kidman we see on TV- fun-loving, charming- that’s only part of who Billy Kidman is. He’s also determined young man who’ll do anything to get through this.

Mark Madden: Injury or no injury, Kidman’s one of the guys who’ll be the future of this company. It may take a little longer, but mark my words, folks.

----------

Tony Schiavone: Up next, we’ve got what’s likely to be an interesting contest: DISQO versus M.I. Smooth, WCW’s toughest limo driver!

DISQO versus M.I. Smooth

DISQO was all business upon the ringing of the bell, as he cautiously circled his much larger opponent. Finally, the two men locked up. Smooth easily shoved DISQO back, angering the former Television Champion. DISQO charged in with another grapple, which Smooth gladly accepted. Smooth quickly grabbed DISQO by the head and clubbed him across the back, sending him down to the canvas. DISQO scampered to the ropes and pulled himself to his feet, a deep look of frustration spreading across his face. He charged at Smooth again, slid between his legs, popped up behind him, and caught him with a closed fist between the shoulderblades. Smooth winced, but spun around to meet his opponent head on. DISQO, however, continued the assault, peppering Smooth about the face and chest with a barrage of rights and lefts. Smooth shoved DISQO with all his might, sending him back into the ropes. However, DISQO bounced back and dove shoulder-first at Smooth’s right leg, sending the big man down to the mat.

With Smooth grounded, DISQO took the opportunity to strike. He flipped Smooth onto his stomach, then nonchalantly dropped a knee across the back of his neck. DISQO repeated the move, only this time, he kept his knee pressed into Smooth’s neck. DISQO then grabbed Smooth’s head and pulled back, applying a sort of modified Camel Clutch. Smooth struggled in the hold for several seconds, until DISQO broke it in favor of a few more kneedrops. He then applied a side headlock, but Smooth was able to push himself up to a standing base. Smooth elbowed out, then leveled DISQO with a jumping clothesline. He pounced on DISQO and began lacing into him with hard right hands, but DISQO stuck his hand out and grabbed the bottom rope, forcing Smooth to back off. Once again, DISQO pulled himself to his feet using the ropes. He then charged at Smooth with a clothesline, but it was shrugged off. DISQO realized that he could not hope to overpower Smooth, so he raked at his face, then caught him in the temple with the point of his elbow. Smooth doubled over, allowing DISQO to run to the ropes and come back with a charging knee. He made contact with the side of Smooth’s head once more, and the big man collapsed to the mat. Without hesitating, DISQO climbed up to the second turnbuckle, shook his booty liberally, and leapt off, dropping the Village People’s Elbow across the face of M.I. Smooth.

DISQO covered Smooth, pushing his forearm into the limo driver’s face for added force. However, the big man still managed to kick out with authority. DISQO hopped back up to his feet, grabbed Smooth by the head, and pulled him up to a standing position. He then took Smooth by the arm and attempted an Irish Whip. Smooth reversed, though, and caught DISQO with a clothesline as he bounded back. Smooth followed up with an elbow drop, but only got two off the ensuing cover. He drove a knee into DISQO’s chest, then got to his feet and tried for a jumping double knee drop. However, DISQO rolled out of the way, resulting in Smooth’s knees colliding with the mat. In one fluid motion, DISQO hopped to his feet, jumped, and caught a still-kneeling Smooth in the side of the head with a vicious dropkick. Smooth collapsed to the mat, allowing DISQO the opportunity for further violence. He bounded back up to the second rope and came off with a modified slingshot splash- rather than landing on his stomach, he landed on his knees, which came crashing down onto Smooth’s chest.

Sensing that the end of the match was near, DISQO got to his feet, extended his index finger, and showed the crowd a few more of his finer dance moves. Smooth, meanwhile, struggled up to a standing position. He threw a punch, but DISQO ducked it, then retaliated with a kick to the gut. With Smooth doubled out, DISQO set him up between his legs and, using all of his strength, hoisted him up for a Piledriver. He dropped down, slamming Smooth into the canvas headfirst. DISQO then smiled to the crowd, got to his feet, lifted Smooth up, and hit him with the Piledriver yet again. No sooner had DISQO landed than he got to his feet and lifted Smooth to a standing base. Using all of his energy to hoist over 300 pounds of dead weight, DISQO obliterated Smooth with a third Piledriver. The three count afterwards was simply ceremonial.

Winner: DISQO via pinfall

Time: 7:32

Crowd: 55.6%

Match: 59.0%

Overall: 59.3%

Tony Schiavone: Wow! That mean streak DISQO showed on Worldwide wasn’t a one time thing! He’s got a whole new approach!

Mark Madden: You ain’t kidding, wow! I’m not used to being wrong, but I may have to reexamine my philosophy on DISQO!

Scott Hudson: And what’s with the getup? He’s dressing like he used to back in the Disco Inferno days!

Mark Madden: I’m not gonna get close enough to him to ask, Hudson!

Pressure Rising

The camera cuts to the locker room of the Filthy Animalz. Konnan is seated on a bench while Rey Mysterio, Jr. and Juventud Guerrera pace around nervously. Finally, Rey breaks the silence.

Rey Mysterio, Jr.: Man, I don’t get this! Juvi, we got a match against the Jung Dragons in a few minutes. We gotta talk strategy! We gotta set up some kinda plan for tonight!

Juventud Guerrera: A plan? “The Juicy One” can trust himself and his own skills. What plan, Rey?

Rey Mysterio, Jr.: Damn it, man, I told you to forget about Wednesday! Forget about the best of five, forget about all of it! We gotta put that aside and just worry about tonight!

Juventud Guerrera: The Juice doesn’t worry.

Rey Mysterio, Jr.: What the hell are you trying to-

Konnan: Silencio!

Konnan gets to his feet and walks over to Juvi and Rey, both of whom are staring at him.

Konnan: You guys are familia, and don’t forget that. This crap is ridiculous! You could get along just fine until the title comes into play? No cuido- I don’t care who wins your tournament match on Thunder. We’re still the Filthy Animalz, the vatos locos of WCW. We lost Kidman, we don’t need this kind of bull! Just T.C.B. like always, amigos.

Rey and Juvi eye each other for a second, then hug. Rey slaps Juvi on the back, and the two leave the locker room.

Overall: 62.7%

Tony Schiavone: One can only imagine what the Filthy Animalz must be going through right now. Even guys like these, complete veterans and professionals inside and out of the ring, have breaking points!

Mark Madden: And I’m betting that Scott Steiner finds that breaking point and breaks it, like he will with everyone else in the tournament!

The Psychological Edge

The music of Kronik hits the arena as former World Tag Team Champions Brian Adams and Bryan Clark make their way to the ring. Not only are both wearing their signature fierce expressions, but Adams is holding a microphone.

Tony Schiavone: Well, earlier today we were notified that Kronik wished to address the WCW World Tag Team Champions, Mark Jindrak and Sean O’Haire. Let’s see what they’ve got in mind.

Mark Madden: They don’t have minds, if they’re gonna start trouble with Jindrak and O’Haire!

Brian Adams: You know somethin’, it’s been a long time since me and Bryan got a shot at the WCW Tag Titles. Never mind that we’re the most dominant team the company’s seen in years, never mind that we beat the old champs in a non-title match a few weeks ago. We’ve been sittin’ on the sidelines ‘cause of politics for months, but it ends tonight! We’re out here right now to demand a shot at those belts at Halloween Havoc!

Mark Madden: They got eliminated in the battle royal two weeks ago, won’t they ever learn?

Scott Hudson: Gimme a break, Madden- you know Kronik plays underdog to nobody in a straight-up tag match!

The theme of the Natural Born Thillers plays over the public address system, heralding the entrance of Mark Jindrak and Sean O’Haire. The two head out onto the stage with microphones and their championship belts.

Sean O’Haire: You boys got a lotta nerve, you know that? The most dominant team in years? You ain’t the most dominant in the past five minutes. We were tough when we came up from the Power Plant. We were tougher when we joined the Thrillers. And now that we’ve got Coach Nash behind us, we’re unbeatable!

Brian Adams: Yes or no, boys? We want an answer!

Mark Jindrak: The answer is… we’ll let ya know!

Jindrak and O’Haire start chuckling, then high-five one another.

Brian Adams: Real cute, guys. Real funny. See, we weren’t born yesterday. We know you’re trying to get under our skin. Well, it ain’t gonna work. We’ll see you two bitches in the ring at Halloween Havoc, come hell or high water!

Taken aback by the failure of their plan, O’Haire and Jindrak lose their good humor.

Sean O’Haire: Then why the hell wait until Havoc? Let’s do it right now!

O’Haire and Jindrak take a few steps forward, as if to charge the ring. However, they immediately spin around and head backstage, laughing all the while. Adams and Clark fume inside the ring.

Brian Adams: We’re as patient as we need to be, boys! We’ll see you at Halloween Havoc!

Overall: 52.3%

Tony Schiavone: I suppose that match is official for Halloween Havoc, now!

Mark Madden: Seriously, does anybody give Kronik a chance against not only the most dominant, but the smarter tag team in WCW? Anybody?

Scott Hudson: I do.

Tony Schiavone: Me too.

Mark Madden: Does anybody important give them a chance? Didn’t think so!

Tony Schiavone: Then I guess you’re the one who’ll be surprised if Kronik wins, Madden! Well, fans, from two tags teams to two more- Rey Mysterio, Jr. and Juventud Guerrera take on Yun-Yang and Jamie-San of the Jung Dragons!

Rey Mysterio, Jr. and Juventud Guerrera versus Yun-Yang and Jamie-San

Rey Mysterio, Jr. and Jamie-San, the two smaller men on each team, started the match off. Jamie-San raised his right hand to Mysterio, indicated that he wished to begin with a test of strength. Mysterio complied, locking his left hand with Jamie-San’s right, then vice versa. The two men rammed chests, each pushing with all of his might. Jamie-San hooked his left foot behind Mysterio’s right foot and shoved, taking the former multi-time Cruiserweight Champion off of his feet. However, Rey kept his hands locked with Jamie’s, and as soon as Rey hit the ground, he kipped up and caught Jamie-San in the chest with a front dropkick. Both men were quick to their feet and, their hands separated, they began to circle one another. Jamie-San lunged in with a grapple attempt, but Mysterio sidestepped in and grabbed Jamie in a waistlock. He lifted Jamie-San up, but surprisingly, Jamie grabbed Rey by the head and brought him down to the mat with a standing bulldog. The force knocked one of Rey’s devil horns off of his head, and before Mysterio could regain his bearings, Jamie-San had tagged out to Yun-Yang.

Yang wasted no time in continuing the offensive on Mysterio. From the apron, he jumped onto the top rope, then springboarded off with a legdrop. Yang’s leg came down across the back of Mysterio’s leg, jolting the Filthy Animal. Yang flipped Rey over onto his back and covered him, but it was too early in the match to put Mysterio away. Yun-Yang was quick to hop up to his feet, and in order to retain the advantage, he began stomping away on Mysterio. A satisfactory amount of damage done via stomping, Yang lifted Rey up to his feet, grabbed him by the arm, and whipped him to the ropes. Rey bounded back, ducked under a high roundhouse kick by Yang, and jumped onto the opposite set of ropes. He quickly sprang off and nailed Yun-Yang in the face with a flying forearm. Sensing that the tide of the match was turning, Rey lifted Yang to his feet and launched him with a whip of his own. As Yang came running back, Rey nailed him with as fluid a Hurricanrana as exists in the sport. Yang was sent under the bottom rope and out of the ring. Noticing his opponent’s position, Rey Mysterio geared up for some high-risk offense.

Rey grabbed the top rope with the intentions of flinging himself over, but he was cut off by Jamie-San, who chopped him across the chest from the apron. Rey responded by grabbing Jamie’s head and dropping down, guillotining him across the top rope. Jamie-San fell to the apron, and subsequently crashed to the arena floor. With both opponents out of the ring, Rey called Juventud Guerrera in from the apron. The Filthy Animals high-fived, and waited for Yang and Jamie-San to get to their feet. When the Jung Dragons had each reached a standing base, Juvi and Rey both ran to the opposite set of ropes, bounced back, ran across the ring, and jumped out, hitting stereo somersault planchas on their opponents. As the crowd cheered, referee Charles Robinson began the standard ten count. At five, Rey and Juvi staggered to their feet and got back into the ring, Juvi heading to the apron. At eight, Jamie-San got up, realized the possibility of impending defeat, and tossed Yun-Yang back into the ring. Mysterio immediately covered him, but Yang managed to extend his foot under the bottom rope.

Mysterio got to his feet and tagged out to Guerrera, who was ready to enter the match. Yang got to his feet in time to take a few forearm shots from “The Juice.” Juvi backed Yang into the corner, took a step back, and caught him in the chin with a dropkick. With Yun-Yang stunned in the corner, Juvi pounced on him, then flung him out with a monkey flip. However, Yang managed to land on his feet. He used his remaining energy to dart to his corner, where he tagged Jamie-San back in. Jamie entered the ring and locked up with Guerrera. Juvi grabbed a headlock, but Jamie shot him off into the ropes. Juvi leapfrogged Jamie-San as he came back, but Jamie dropped to his back on the mat, which enabled him to flip Juvi over using his feet as “The Juice” ran back a second time. Juvi was sent flying into the ropes, bouncing off and landing flat in the center of the ring. Jamie-San immediately brought a razor-sharp legdrop down across Juvi’s throat, then followed up with a Magistral cradle. Juvi kicked out at two, but Jamie-San was quick to slap a neck vise on his opponent. As Jamie-San squeezed the hold, he pulled Juvi closer to the corner. When Jamie-San could reach, he made the tag to Yun-Yang, who entered the ring via a slingshot legdrop across Guerrera’s chest.

Yang kicked away at Juventud’s back and neck briefly, then lifted him to his feet and whipped him to the turnbuckle. Only a fraction of a second after Juvi’s back slammed against the turnbuckle, Yang connected with his Tiger Mask-like backflip kick. Guerrera staggered out of the corner, only to catch a spinning side kick to the chest. Yang then tagged Jamie-San once more, who landed another legdrop on Juventud. Jamie got to his feet, grabbed Guerrera by the head, and lifted him up. He then hooked Guerrera’s head under his arm and took him over with a crisp snap suplex. Sensing that Juventud Guerrera was particularly vulnerable, Jamie-San decided to move in for the kill. He lifted Juvi to his feet once again, but this time, Jamie grabbed him between the legs and turned him over, setting him up for the Tombstone Piledriver. However, before he could execute the move, Juvi began to wriggle out of it. Jamie-San tried to maintain his hold, but Guerrera slipped out behind him, then took him down with an enziguri kick. Both men lay motionless on the canvas until Juventud started pulling himself to his own corner. As the fever pitch built up in the crowd, Guerrera made the tag to Rey Mysterio, Jr.

Rey hopped in over the top rope and immediately nailed Jamie-San with a textbook quebrada. Rey covered, but Yang broke the count at two. Mysterio got to his feet as Yang charged him, but Rey-Rey managed to flip the Jung Dragon out of the ring with a back body drop. As Yang went over, though, Jamie-San grabbed Mysterio from behind and put him down with a neckbreaker. Jamie climbed to the top rope and dove off gracefully with a Guillotine Legdrop- however, Rey moved, and Jamie-San crashed to the ring. Rey scampered up to the top rope, and as Jamie-San got to his feet, Rey leapt off. He wrapped his legs around Jamie’s neck in midair, then twisted backwards and flipped him over- a beautiful top rope Hurricanrana. Rey made the cover, and Jamie-San was down for three.

As Mysterio and Guerrera left the ring to the cheers of the crowd, Yang rolled back in to tend to his fallen partner. While he helped Jamie-San to his feet, Shannon Moore and Shane Helms of Three Count charged the ring and attacked. While Yang and Jamie fought valiantly, they were little match for their much fresher enemies. It wasn’t until Kaz Hayashi ran down to the ring with a chair that Helms and Moore darted out of the ring. As Kaz stood with the weapon and Yang and Jamie-San staggered to a standing base, the crowd treated them to a surprising ovation.

Winners: Rey Mysterio, Jr. and Juventud Guerrera via pinfall

Time: 11:21

Crowd: 65.1%

Match: 79.1%

Overall: 75.7%

Tony Schiavone: A big win by the Filthy Animalz, but an impressive showing by the Jung Dragons during and after the match!

Mark Madden: Hey, put the Jung Dragons on one side of the ring, Three Count on the other, gimme a bowl of popcorn and I’m in heaven!

Scott Hudson: Forget the match, in fact!

Mark Madden: One more and I bust out the bald jokes, Scott! I swear!

Locker Room Lockdown

The camera cuts to a backstage area where Big Vito is doing his best to pilot a forklift.

Big Vito: So lemme get this straight, you wanna run interference in Goldberg’s match, Johnny? You wanna stick your nose where it don’t belong? Well, that ain’t gonna happen tonight!

Big Vito drives up to a locker room. The door reads “NATURAL BORN THRILLERS.”

Big Vito: I coulda got here a little earlier and boxed all of yas in, but I wouldn’t rob Goldberg of all the pleasure, capisce? Enjoy the night, Johnny, ya big bakala!

Vito parks the forklift in front of the doors, preventing any exit. As he gets down, a banging can be heard at the door.

Big Vito: Johnny! Johnny, my man, it’s Vito! Come on out here, lemme give ya a big paisan hug!

Big Vito smiles and walks away. Johnny the Bull can be heard from within.

Johnny the Bull: Hey! Hey! Vito! Get your ass back here and lemme out! You son of a bitch!

Overall: 60.4%

Mark Madden: How dare he! That’s not fair! It’s a no disqualification match, Johnny the Bull has every right to get involved.

Tony Schiavone: Every right, but no possibility!

Scott Hudson: That’s one Thriller Sanders will have to do without!

Tony Schiavone: Absolutely, but the man still has quite a bit of muscle on his side. Fans, I’m being told that “Mean” Gene Okerlund is backstage with Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner, one half of our main event. Let’s see what that team has to say.

Agitation

A visibly nervous Gene Okerlund is standing in the backstage interview area with Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett. Both Steiner and Jarrett seem to be even more on-edge than usual.

Gene Okerlund: Gentlemen, tonight you-

Scott Steiner: Shut up! Tonight ain’t a match, it’s a massacre! It’s about the man with largest arms in the world, the next WCW Champion, Scott Steiner, and the greatest WCW Champion of all time, Jeff Jarrett, gettin’ together to beat, batter, and brutalize those two candy-asses, Sting and Booker T! When Double J and “Big Poppa Pump” get through with them, you won’t have enough left to wipe an ass with!

Jeff Jarrett: Gene, I’d like to play you a little song I call “Slapnut Blues,” if I may.

Gene Okerlund: Um… o-okay.

Jeff Jarrett: Thank you.

Jarrett takes his guitar, plays an A minor chord once, then grabs it by the neck and shatters it over “Mean Gene’s” head. Gene crumbles to the floor. Steiner chuckles.

Jeff Jarrett: Sting! Tonight it begins for you! I ain’t playin’ around no more! This is a Jeff Jarrett that no one’s ever seen! You’re gonna look back to Nitro last week and wish you laid down for me! I was supposed to become the WCW World Heavyweight Champion! You messed with fate, Sting! And when you mess with fate, you get a thunderbolt shoved up your ass! And I ain’t forgotten about you, Booker- I still got a dish of revenge with your name on the placemat! Me and Scotty’ll meet you tonight! And remember, as long as y’all boys got heads, “The Chosen One’s” got guitars!

Overall: 78.5%

Scott Hudson: My goodness!

Tony Schiavone: I can’t believe it!

Mark Madden: Me neither! How has Jarrett not been picked up by a major label yet?

Bill Goldberg versus Mike Sanders

As soon as the bell rang, Sanders dove out of the ring. He ran to the area near the announcers’ table, grabbed a steel chair, and reentered as Goldberg stared on, his focus unwavering. Sanders charged at Goldberg with the chair and swung, but “Da Man” fired off a lightning-quick side hook kick, his boot colliding with (and demolishing) the weapon. Though Sanders was unharmed, a look of terror spread across his face as he realized the extent to which the chair was gnarled. As the chair slipped from Mike Sanders’s fingers, Goldberg roared and grabbed him by the throat. He spun around, hoisted Sanders in the air, and tossed him into the corner. As Sanders stumbled out, Goldberg hooked him under the arm and flipped him over with a hiptoss-style takedown. It was at this juncture that Shawn Stasiak and Chuck Palumbo, The Perfect Event, ran down from the entranceway in order to help out their leader.

Goldberg headed over to the corner and squatted down, stalking Mike Sanders as he reached his feet. Goldberg yelled again, but before he could charge in with the Spear, Palumbo and Stasiak grabbed him by the ankles. With each man handling one leg, they had little trouble pulling him under the ropes and out of the ring. Palumbo grabbed Goldberg from the rear, hooking his arms behind his back. Stasiak, still ailing from his earlier match with Mike Awesome, slapped Goldberg’s face twice, then caught him under the chin with a hard European uppercut. As Stasiak closed in for another attack, Goldberg caught him in the gut with a hard front kick. He then broke free of Palumbo’s grip, grabbed him by the arm, and whipped him into Shawn Stasiak. The Perfect Event collided, and both fell to the mat. Goldberg climbed up onto the apron, but no sooner had he reached his feet than Mike Sanders clocked him over the head with a second chair. Goldberg collapsed to the apron, allowing Sanders to grab him and pull him back into the ring. He made the cover, but Goldberg managed to kick out at two.

Mike Sanders desperately hammered Goldberg with lefts and rights, then got up and began to stomp at him. Without warning, though, Goldberg grabbed Sanders’s foot, then twisted sharply, flipping the leader of the Natural Born Thrillers to the mat. Goldberg got to his feet, pulled Sanders up, and whipped him to the ropes. As Sanders came running back, Goldberg caught him, pressed him above his head, dropped him onto his shoulder, and slammed him to the mat. As soon as Goldberg got back up, though, he was met with a kick from Chuck Palumbo. Palumbo and Stasiak both grabbed him around the head, then took him over with a double suplex. Goldberg immediately shot back to his feet and charged at The Perfect Event. They each threw a clothesline, but Goldberg ducked, ran off the opposite set of ropes, and came back with a Spear to both men. Goldberg roared to the crowd, then turned his attention to Mike Sanders, who was getting back to his feet. “Da Man” charged furiously, then caught Sanders with an earth-shattering Spear. Goldberg pointed towards the sky and shouted once more, sending the Australian crowd into even more rabid a frenzy. Goldberg pulled Sanders up by the head, set him up in suplex position, then hoisted him in the air. After a few dramatic seconds, Goldberg twisted and slammed Sanders to the canvas. The ensuing cover ensured that the Jackhammer scored yet another victory for Bill Goldberg.

Winner: Goldberg via pinfall.

Time: 5:41

Crowd: 90.4%

Match: 70.9%

Overall: 80.5%

Mark Madden: No! No! Who’s out to get the Thrillers? Damn it, who’s out to get them? The Cat? Russo? Bill Busch? Oh, ye wrestling gods!

Tony Schiavone: Well… bringing things back to Earth, that’s a spot in the quarterfinals for Goldberg. Let’s see those brackets once again, just for good measure.

Mark Madden: Are you enjoying this? You are!

user posted image

Scott Hudson: The semifinals and the finals will take place at Halloween Havoc, folks, so the only way to see this exciting tournament end is to order the event on Pay-Per-View!

Excessive Action

The camera cuts to the arena’s parking area. M.I. Smooth, still aching from his contest with DISQO, is leaning against his limousine. Frustrated, he slaps the hood of the car.

M.I. Smooth: Damn!

Smooth opens the driver’s side door of the limo, then hesitates briefly. He slumps over, obviously unhappy with the events of earlier in the night. Suddenly, DISQO runs into the scene, catching Smooth in the small of the back with a running knee. Without a word, DISQO grabs Smooth by the temples and slams his head into the side of the car. DISQO pulls Smooth up once again, walks him around to the front of the limo, and slams his head into the windshield, shattering the glass. In almost a compulsive fashion, DISQO pulls Smooth off of the hood and throws him into the driver’s doorway. He then slams the door, crushing the side of M.I. Smooth. As Smooth groans in pain, DISQO slams the door over and over. After about fifteen repetitions, DISQO calmly leaves the scene. Smooth collapses to the ground, bloody and seemingly unconscious.

Overall: 58.0%

Tony Schiavone: What a monster! I never thought I’d be saying this, but DISQO is a maniac!

Scott Hudson: Everything is upside down tonight! Nobody’s safe!

Mark Madden: Now you guys know why I take such a detached, sarcastic position towards everything here- it’s my defense mechanism, I’m terrified!

Tony Schiavone: That’s the first smart thing you’ve- wait, I’m getting a message, fans- something is going on with the Natural Born Thrillers backstage. Let’s go see!

Big Game Plan

Mike Sanders is in a main hallway backstage, screaming at Shawn Stasiak and Chuck Palumbo. Stasiak and Palumbo are being restrained by Sean O’Haire and Mark Jindrak, while Kevin Nash is preventing Sanders from advancing.

Mike Sanders: Can’t you do anything right? It was supposed to be our night! You screwed it up, the two of you screwed-

Kevin Nash: Hey! HEY! Everybody shut the hell up! Calm down! It was Goldberg, damn it! You got your ass whipped, Mike. Suck it up and go get an ice pack. I want you all to go to separate locker rooms and cool the hell down!

The Thrillers, obeying their coach, all turn to leave. Nash grabs Chuck Palumbo by the shoulder, holding him back as the others head down the hall.

Kevin Nash: Guess what, Chuckie?

Chuck Palumbo: What?

Kevin Nash: You are currently the only Thriller still in the title tournament, and you’ve got a match on Thunder.

Chuck Palumbo: Yeah, with Buff Bagwell. So? He’s one big bruise after psycho boy took it to him. And even healthy, he ain’t crap.

Kevin Nash: I like what I’m hearing, but it’s not enough. I want you on Bagwell like [dialogue deleted]! Don’t give him a second to breathe. Take any opportunity you can, no matter how much Buffy whines and cries. You got me? We need a Thriller in this, and there’s none better than you!

Chuck Palumbo: I got it, Coach.

Kevin Nash: What?

Chuck Palumbo: I got it, Coach!

Kevin Nash: WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST SAY?

Chuck Palumbo: I GOT IT, COACH!

Kevin Nash: Good. Now go get showered, then get the guys. We need to get out of this pit.

Overall: 62.2%

Tony Schiavone: Well, strong, and… colorful words from Kevin Nash to say the least.

Mark Madden: Even in their darkest hour, the Natural Born Thrillers can take comfort in the fact that they’ve got a coach like Kevin Nash!

Tony Schiavone: Well, speaking of hour, we’re fast approaching the end of one! It’s time for our main event!

Scott Hudson: Do you spend the day locked up in a little room thinking of these, Tony?

Tony Schiavone: What can I say? It’s a gift!

Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner versus Booker T and Sting

After the entrances were finished and the fanfare died down, it was determined that Booker T and Scott Steiner would start the match. The ever-intense Steiner charged in with a clothesline to begin, but Booker ducked it and caught him with a series of chops across the chest. He backed Steiner into the corner, raised his hand to the crowd, and caught “Big Poppa Pump” with an overhand strike. Steiner grabbed Booker by the neck, spun out of the corner, and tossed the former WCW World Heavyweight Champion against the turnbuckle. He nailed Booker in the chin with a massive forearm, then took a few steps back and rushed in with a clothesline. Steiner connected, squashing Booker against the ringpost. He then grabbed Booker T by the arm and whipped him across the ring, all the way to the opposite corner. Steiner charged in after his opponent, but Booker jumped out of the way of a second clothesline. As such, Steiner collided with the turnbuckle. As he staggered out of the corner, Booker caught him across the face with a jumping side kick. Steiner went down to the canvas, allowing Booker T to follow up with a kneedrop.

Booker lifted Steiner to his feet and tore into him with another chop. However, Booker was close enough to the ropes that Jeff Jarrett was able to grab him from behind. Jarrett pinned Booker’s arms behind him, allowing Steiner to work the most recent World Champion over with a series of punches to the gut. Jarrett finally released his grip, only so Steiner could catch Booker with an overhead belly to belly suplex. Steiner did four pushups in the center of the ring, then tagged Jeff Jarrett. “The Chosen One” hopped into the ring between the second and third ropes, and immediately made a beeline for Booker T. Jarrett applied a sleeperhold, but Booker countered with a jawjacker. He then crawled to his own corner and made the tag to Sting.

Sting gingerly stepped into the ring, still nursing the leg that Jeff Jarrett had singled out during their match the previous week. However, this did not stop him from lifted Jarrett to his feet and whipping him to the ropes. As Jarrett bounded back, Sting flipped him over with a near-effortless backdrop. Sting dropped one of his distinctive jumping elbows on Jarrett, then covered for two. Energized by his early advantage, Sting howled to the crowd. Once Jarrett got to his feet, Sting threw a dropkick. However, not only did Jarrett dodge the move, but he grabbed Sting’s injured right leg in midair and dove with it, slamming the extremity into the mat with great force. Sting grimaced in pain as his tournament match with Jarrett from last week’s Nitro appeared to be repeating itself. Jarrett, realizing that further work on Sting’s leg could only prove advantageous, followed through with that as a game plan. Jeff Jarrett hooked the leg between his shins, then jumped down, squashing it among bone and canvas. Jarrett pulled Sting into the center of the ring by his leg, then immediately applied a grapevine. Sting struggled and screamed, but Jarrett continued to yank at the leg. It wasn’t until Booker T ran in and kicked Jarrett in the chest that the hold was broken.

Jeff Jarrett got to his feet and smiled, then turned to Booker and shouted, “I’ll cripple this piece of garbage!” He lifted Sting’s leg and kicked it several times, then tossed it back to the mat and brutalized it with an elbow drop. Jarrett then made the tag to Scott Steiner, who was more than willing to continue the punishment. Steiner grabbed Sting by the leg and pulled him to the edge of the ring, then threaded the leg between the second and third ropes. From a standing position, Steiner merely pulled Sting’s leg against the top rope, sending pain shooting through the body of the Stinger. Referee Nick Patrick began his five count while trying in vain to pull Steiner off of Sting. “Big Poppa Pump” broke the hold at four, then turned his attention to Patrick. As Steiner peppered the referee with a few choice words, Sting tried to pull himself over to Booker T. Scott Steiner turned around before the tag could be made, though. He grabbed Sting by the leg once more and pulled him over to the heel corner. While holding Sting’s leg, Steiner tagged in Jeff Jarrett, who climbed up to the top rope. Jarrett dove off with a diving elbow, which connected with the elevated knee of Sting. Jarrett immediately made the cover, wisely hooking Sting’s healthy left leg. However, Sting still had enough power in his right leg to kick out of the pinfall attempt.

Jarrett lifted Sting to his feet, then immediately snatched up the bad leg. After a bit of taunting, Jarrett threw Sting over with a Dragon Screw Legwhip. Sting slid across the ring, groaning in pain the entire time. Jarrett lifted Sting up once more, and once again, grabbed the right leg. This time, he flipped the bird to Sting before taking him over with another Dragon Screw. As Booker watched helplessly, Jarrett lifted Sting to his feet a third time, and, as he did previously, snatched up Sting’s leg. As he held the right leg of the Man They Call Sting, Jarrett let loose with a string of mild expletives. He was cut off, though, by a desperation enziguri from Sting. Jarrett tumbled backwards to the mat as Sting once again tried to crawl over to Booker T. Jeff Jarrett regained his bearings and grabbed the Stinger by the bad leg, but Sting managed to jump up and slap the outstretched hand of Booker T. Booker charged into the ring in a furious frenzy, clotheslining Jarrett down, then backdropping Scott Steiner as Steiner entered. Jarrett popped up to his feet, but Booker immediately grabbed him by the arm and nailed him with a Harlem Side Kick. Steiner got to his feet against the ropes, only to have Booker clothesline him out of the ring. Booker then climbed to the top rope and waited for Jarrett to get to his feet. When he finally managed to reach a standing base, Booker leapt off. He nailed Double J in the chest with a Missile Dropkick, then made the cover. Though Jarrett kicked out after a long two count, it was clear that the faces had claimed the advantage.

Booker lifted Jarrett to his feet, hooked his head, and took him over with a suplex. Jarrett crashed to the canvas as Sting, sitting on the apron, rubbed his battered leg. Jarrett got back to his feet, only to have Booker grab him by the arm. Booker attempted a whip, but Jarrett reversed, sending Booker to the ropes. Booker bounced back with a flying forearm, taking Jarrett down once more. Booker raised his hands to the crowd, then waited for Jarrett to rise. “The Chosen One” staggered up, but as he was still recovering, he remained doubled over. Booker seized the opportunity, clobbering Jeff Jarrett with the Scissor Kick, then using the ever-popular Spin-A-Roonie to get back up to his feet. Booker made the cover, but it was broken at two by Scott Steiner, who had reentered the ring. Booker got up, but Steiner immediately grabbed him by the waist and slammed him to the canvas with a spinning belly to belly suplex. Steiner then dragged Jarrett back over to the heel corner and headed out onto the apron. As he was now only a couple of feet away from “Big Poppa Pump,” Jarrett had no trouble making the tag.

Scott Steiner immediately charged Booker T, who was getting to his feet, and took him back down with a knee lift. Steiner lifted Booker up to his feet, hooked his head, and lifted him up into suplex position. However, rather than fall back, Steiner dove forward, slamming Booker with a front suplex. By this time, Sting was back to a standing position (resting his right leg on the bottom rope), and he led a “Booker” chant. Steiner attempted to lift Booker once more, but Booker caught him with a last-ditch low blow. Steiner crumbled to his knees, allowing Booker to tag Sting once more. Sting hopped into the ring as fast as he could and unleashed on Steiner, mauling him with fists and chops. He backed Steiner into the corner and continued the assault. As a commotion arose throughout the crowd, Sting whipped Steiner into the opposite corner and charged in with a Stinger Splash. However, Steiner dodged the move and tagged Jarrett once more. As Sting ducked a Jarrett clothesline and laid fist after fist to “The Chosen One,” the reason for the disruption became clear; Lance Storm had run out from backstage and had climbed to the top turnbuckle. As Sting dominated Jarrett, Storm jumped off and caught Sting in the right knee with a crisp Missile Dropkick. Sting howled in pain and collapsed, and with Booker T ailing on the apron, nothing stopped Jarrett from making the cover. He once again hooked Sting’s good leg, and this time, the Stinger was unable to kick out.

Winners: Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett via pinfall

Time: 15:10

Crowd: 84.3%

Match: 68.5%

Overall: 81.4%

Tony Schiavone: No! Steiner and Jarrett win with help from Lance Storm!

Scott Hudson: Why would Storm get involved? What’s it any business of his?

Mark Madden: Who’s Storm facing in the next round of the tournament, boys?

Scott Hudson: Oh, man!

Tony Schiavone: That’s right, he’s got Sting next week!

Mark Madden: You bet he’s got Sting!

Tony Schiavone: This is… what a chaotic night! That’s all the time we have, fans, but make sure to catch Thunder on Wednesday. Hopefully we can get some order restored around here!

Overall Rating: 66.4%

Edited by Boulder