Getting a guitar

VerbalPuke

At the moment I've got a Hyper Fuzz, ProCo Rat and a Big Muff, I'd eventually like to pick up an original Super-Fuzz and maybe an Earthbound Supercollider, they are crushingly good. I'm running through an Sunn Studio Lead at the moment, eventually want to get hold of a Model-T but with my travelling it's not adequate to be lugging around. Plus this combo is pretty awesome as it is.

I do love the big muff sound, though the size of that bad boy is crazy. They do have other smaller muffs though. Also have heard good things about the pro co rat, its been around for awhile.

I wish I had thought the distortion pedal purchase out more. The metal muff is maybe too much heavy for me, its a bit shrill.

• Like 1

I do love the big muff sound, though the size of that bad boy is crazy. They do have other smaller muffs though. Also have heard good things about the pro co rat, its been around for awhile.

I wish I had thought the distortion pedal purchase out more. The metal muff is maybe too much heavy for me, its a bit shrill.

Yeh, the shrillest I will go metal wise is the Boss HM-2, that's mainly because I love Entombed and the chainsaw guitar tone.

What kind of strings do you guys like? I'm not sure I like the ernie ball cobalts much. Thinking elixir, pyramid, or d'addario next. My dad uses Dr Blues which i liked but he has had trouble with buzz when changing them. I also broke a D string just playing a power chord whuch he couldn't believe.

Should probably note that almost every guitar has light gauge strings on them when they leave the factory. If you go from a light to a heavy gauge, expect to adjust the neck/saddle/etc.

Alas, ze strings:

1. My fretted jazz bass has DR Neons in white, light gauge. I dig those for a fretted bass because it adds more growl to heavier passages, but still sounds clean if I'm doing more Claypool-y stuff.

2. My fretless bass has Fender flatwound strings in their lightest gauge. Flatwounds are great if you want to have a warmer, bass-heavy tone. I could see some damn fine sludge being made with those. They also work well with sliding from note to note, though I don't particularly like using a slide with them.

3. My acoustic has Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze strings, Custom Light. Don't know the difference between Nano & Poly, don't care. Phosphor Bronze vs. 80/20 Bronze is the real meat of the discussion. PB gives more of a brighter, treble-heavy tone, whereas 80/20 gives more low end.

D'addario makes some damn fine strings if you don't want to shell out for Elixirs. Stay away from D'addario's EXPs, though. At that price point, just get the Elixirs. The EJ16s are good acoustic strings, while the EXL110s are generally what come standard on a lot of non-Fender guitars.

DRs are good if you want to try an odd gauge or want something more colorful. Their DDT line is fantastic for anyone wanting to tune down below drop-D.

Ernie Ball's Cobalts feel more coarse because of the coating they have. It's supposed to add more sustain, but I don't buy it. If you go with Ernies, just go with their normal Slinky line. Their Earthwood acoustic strings are pretty solid and usually cheaper than D'addarios, too.

Martin's acoustic strings are average. D'arcos are their cheap strings and do fine as backups.

GHS does the strings for First Acts. Enough said.

Thanks man, if I typed that question hastily on my phone, so if it seems rush, it was.

I asked a buddy of man before posting here and he said he uses the elixirs, he has a Les Paul and I've always enjoyed his tone. I read pretty good things about them and their durability so I'm probably leaning there.

The DR Blues I have experience with my dad, and I liked those, his guitars played really nice. In fact, I wondered why I seemed to be able to play so much better on his guitars than my own, and maybe it was strings, maybe not. The only thing with the Dr Blues if people complain about the intonation on them, and that they buzz when changed. My old man seemed to have this problem, and like I said, I popped his D string played a power chord which he didn't think should have happened.

Either way, the information is good. It's probably going to be early December before I get the Lester set up anyway, and that's probably when I'll do the string swap because I might consider going up a gauge. I still like to have information ahead of time.

I do like the DRs, it's just my preferences on electrics are nowhere near as stringent as my acoustic wants.

The buzz may be coming from elsewhere. Clean the fretboard, check for any sharp spots on the guitar nut/saddles and also see if the neck is straight. All are easy fixes, it's just something you have to keep an eye on.

Well, I'll let my dad know that since I don't have that same problem, haha.

I found out my Les Paul came with D'Addario's. I realized the bottom of the strings were color coded as follows:

e - silver
B - purple
G - green
D - Black
A - Red
E - Brass

Bit of research found that they are D'Addario. I like them actually, much better than the Ernie Ball's I have on my Marauder, but I am thinking I'm going to do different strings next time around since I'm new at this. I'm curious of the tone changes and playability I'll get with a different set, at the same time there is that fear of hating the new ones and wishing I had gone with the Dr or the D'addarios again. Oh well, Link Wray didn't get awesome tone by not sticking a screw driver through his amp right?

Edit - Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm pretty heavy handed with my strumming.

Edited by VerbalPuke
  • Like 1

Well so far on the Sunn build I've managed to snag a Seymour Duncan SH-6 for the bridge at 30GBP and a SJBJ-1N for 40GBP. Not bad considering they're about 70-80 each in the UK. Just need to find anothe SJBJ-1N and I'm away.

Also picking up an Orange Micro Terror so I can get some playing done whilst travelling. It's just not viable shipping a Sunn amp to Mongolia.

Edited by fourstarfizzle
  • Like 1

Nice!

I've been researching a good set up for travelling and recording, came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9BjcmV7QWY, whilst it's not really what I'm looking for, it's a nice little set up with Redcabinet 3 and can be adjusted, plus I've just picked up a Tube Screamer copy and I've already got an Audiobox usb on the way from my bassist.