Foreign Premiership referess?

G-O-D

Italian referee Pierluigi Colllina could soon be seen taking charge of Premiership matches after the FA unveiled plans to bring in foreign officials.

FA, and Arsenal, vice-chairman David Dein insists English football's governing body is considering the idea of introducing a number of foreign officials in a bid to stamp out over-familiarity between English referees and players that he feels breeds prejudice.

1168318.jpg

Dein revealed that English referees would continue to take charge of the vast majority of top-flight games, but feels the introduction of overseas whistle-blowers could help in the big clashes.

At 45 years of age, Collina - widely regarded as the world's top official - must retire in Italy at the end of this term but is still eligible to referee in the Premiership for a further three years, and could be seen in England as early as next season.

"He's (Collina) one of several officials the FA is looking at introducing," declared Dein.

"Collina is 45 so would qualify for the Premiership for the next three years.

"I am in favour of introducing foreign referees into the Premier League - not for every game but maybe three or four times a season.

"I'd like to see them because I think certain players do get targeted because of familiarity.

"And you look at the difference in the way foreign referees are treated by the players.

"They are definitely respected more. You don't see players swearing at them and when a foreign referee says 'that's it', players back off.

"I'm always in favour of experimenting if it is trying to take the game forward - to try things out for three of four seasons and see if they work."

I'm all for it if this move can ensure refereeing becomes fairer in the Premiership.

I can't see what difference foreign referees would make to the game. Some would argue they give free-kicks more than letting the game flow, but a lot of that is to with the kind of players and play in foreign countries too.

It wouldn't take long for him to adapt if any time at all, I think it's a good move.

Guest _sTe_

The whole "Compulsory Retirement" thing with referees seems stupid to me. The older referees are generally the best, and if they think they can carry on, why shouldn't they?

The whole "Compulsory Retirement" thing with referees seems stupid to me.  The older referees are generally the best, and if they think they can carry on, why shouldn't they?

That's something I've always thought. If they can pass their medical/fitness test, and are still competent at making decisions, why should they have to retire?