MONKEY ISLAND! :-D

The Chief

ok lol, i was browsing some retro sites, and i just remembered monkey island 1 & 2 and how great they were, altho ive played them i never completed them.

So i want them! bad!, im too lazy to go through my 2 attics to look for an amiga and 4 and 12 disks of them which are probably gone now.

I was wondering is there a legal way of downloading them? i know theres a legal amiga emulator which im prepared to buy if i can get those two games to run on it.

I'd buy a pc version if there is one anywhere as well?

anyone?

They're still available to buy...I got the Ultimate Monkey Island Collection (or some name like that), which included the first 3 MIs on CD ROM. Cost about £15 as far as I remember.

MI 1 = Funniest

MI 2 = Best Puzzles/Storyline

MI 3 = Best All-Rounded Game

MI 4 = ...A step backwards (bloody obsession with making things 3D when it only makes them worse)

...As far as I know MI5 (yeah...MI5...hoho) is one of those things that Lucasarts continuously joke about "one day getting round to"...but never actually make any real effort in that direction.

Typical really.

Edit: See this is what I bought...but then, I bought it so long ago that GAME was still 'Electronic Boutique'...they don't seem to be producing it any more, and the Marketplace sellers are charging ludicrous prices like £55 for it.

(A search on Amazon.com as opposed to .co.uk is no more fruitful - their version, named something different, is also out of production, and the Marketplace sellers charge $150 there...)

Bastards.

Edit Edit:

Quote from Lucasarts.com store:

"The first two Monkey Island games, The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, are no longer available."

Double Bastards.

Edited by stokeriño

mother fuckers :(

a search on ebay brought it down to 37.00 , but its still a lot of money for an old game

EDIT> ebay have loads of them, their pretty decent 16.00, but have 1-3 days to go,

EDIT> im giving up, the bounty pack wont run on XP since its a gayed up DOS game :angry:

Edited by The Chief

*The 'gayed up DOS games' run perfectly well on Windows XP for me*

Smirk: "I say 'You fight like a dairy farmer'. You respond:"

Guybrush: "You must be thinking of someone else I am not a farmer."

Smirk: "...I can see we've got a lot of work to do here. "

And it only gets better. :P

Edited by stokeriño

*The 'gayed up DOS games run perfectly well on Windows XP for me*

Smirk: "I say 'You fight like a dairy farmer'. You resopnd:"

Guybrush: "You must be thinking of someone else I am not a farmer."

Smirk: "...I can see we've got a lot of work to do here. "

Classic. :P

This is the END for you, you gutter-crawling cur! :shifty:

And I've got a little TIP for you, get the POINT?

I'm not going to take your insolence sitting down!

(man...if this doesn't have the potential for post whoring, I don;t know what does :shifty: )

And I've got a little TIP for you, get the POINT?

I'm not going to take your insolence sitting down!

(man...if this doesn't have the potential for post whoring, I don;t know what does :shifty: )

Your hemorrhoids are flaring up again, eh?

:shifty: I beat the sword master the first time bitch.

Well...at least random quotage won't be quite as post-whoriffic...:

Guybrush: "It just occurred to me that mixing medicine and alcohol is a really stupid and possibly lethal thing to do. If I were a real person instead of a lovable, inept cartoon character with the potential for a few more sequels... I wouldn't even consider it. Skoal!"

Guybrush: "Nice cologne you're wearing. Did you actually roll around in dung or just dab a little behind each ear?"

Lemonhead: "You fool! You've given cheese to a lactose intolerant volcano god! Do you know what that means? You've brought about the Coming of the Divine Dysentry! Run for your lives!"

Guybrush: "Is this going to be scary? Because I warn you, I'm easily startled and will scream like a baby."

Murray: "You may call me Murray! I am a powerful demonic force! I am the harvenger of your doom, and the forces of evil will applaud me as I stride through the Gates of Hell, carrying your head on a pike!"

Guybrush: "...'Stride'?"

Murray: "Alright then, roll! Roll through the Gates of Hell!! ...Must you take the fun out of everything?"

Never shall anyone doubt the awesomeness that is MI3: The Curse of Monkey Island. :shifty:

Edited by stokeriño

When Guybrush was asked if he had any special skills to become a pirate:

Guybrush: I can hold my breath for TEN MINUTES.

I like it because later in the game when you're dumped underwater, you can only die after ten minutes. The puzzle there is ingenious too.

:shifty:

Edited by Apple Shampoo

Seven minutes? It's TEN MINUTES FOOL - give Guybrush the credit he deserves! *slap*

Related to the dying underwater point, I like how in MI3 on Blood Island, if you "Drink water" from the sea something like 20 times, he looks underwater to see that scene from MI1...with the original Guybrush still tied to the idol and now throughly decomposing. And yeah, that puzzle is ingenious (the simplicity of the solution makes you want to laugh when you manage it...).

For me the only good thing that came out of MI4 was Monkey Kombat...and even that got a little old after a while.

Maybe because I hated Lucre island (where Guybrush is framed) so very, very much. It is the most annoying island in the game, with no particularly interesting gimmicks (...Prosthetic Shop? The hell? And those Marshes of Time or whatever they were...please). Jambalaya Island did make up for it a lot, but half the time I can't stand going through all the trouble to reach that Chapter in the first place.

If I had to pick my favourite island in the series...hmm...I do have a weak spot for Plunder Island (the first one in MI3) - I mean, you've got the barbers, the Cabana beach, duelling banjos, the pirate ship full of monkeys (LaChimp!), El Pollo Diablo, "Snake crossing...?" - just loads of hilarious stuff. Although I do also like Bounty Island from MI2...that was good stuff.

Edited by stokeriño