Hornets hire Byron Scott

Guest bukkake bandit

Guest bukkake bandit

Friday, May 28, 2004

Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS -- The New Orleans Hornets introduced Byron Scott as the team's new head coach Friday, with team owner George Shinn saying he fulfilled his goal to hire a "proven winner."

Scott, who was fired by the New Jersey Nets in January, said that he was ready to take the New Orleans job as soon as it was offered. He vowed to build his offense around Baron Davis, whom he called "the best young point guard in the league."

"We have to surround (Davis) with players who can get up and down the floor," Scott said.

Scott replaces Tim Floyd, who was fired May 7 after one season, even though the team went to the playoffs. Scott becomes the Hornets' third head coach in three seasons.

Next season the team moves from the Eastern Conference into the tougher Western Conference.

However, Scott said he thinks he can win with the Hornets and wasn't concerned about the standard to which he'll be held by the team's management.

"I was fired after going to two championship series, but I'll tell you this: Mr. Shinn and I talked & he told me how much he was committed to me," Scott said.

Scott, 44, coached the Nets to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003, losing to the Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio Spurs. He had a 149-139 record in 3½ seasons with the Nets.

They'll make it to the 8th seed if they're lucky. I'll miss him in NJ.