Just got a PS2

MDK

Alright, I just got a PS2. My mate got it for me as a late xmas prezzie, so I am well stoked about it. What do I need to know about it? I heard some stuff about disk read errors and overheating things bla bla bla. All you good people that have a PS2, will you help me out? I wub you all very much ^_^

if I was you I wouldn't play dvds on it and do not have it standing up vertical other than that try to keep it as dust free as possible. I usually vaccum the system once a week

You know I have a DVD that won't play on anything (normal DVD player, laptop, etc.) *except* for my PS2?

Then of course I got the Directors Cut edition, so it hardly matters anymore. :P Still, it's an oddity.

I might be paranoid ;) but playing dvd's is what screwed my first ps2 up , my friend had the same problem , kept his games and system in top form . started playing dvds on them and it quit. So he bought a new slimline ps2 had it for a few weeks used it as he did the other one played dvds kept clean and etc. Now its quit on him . So now he's going to buy another ps2.. He contacted Sony but they refused to fix it since he used it to play DVD's . The person he talked to said that the system is capable of playing the dvds but he wouldn't advise it becasue it wears down the laser

I have had a PS2 for 2 1/2 years with absolutly no problems and I use it to watch DVD's sometimes too...

Basically just keep your PS2 in good condition and you should have no problems and if you do get DREs, phone Sony and they will fix it for free normally(as long as it's not modded of course)

Basically just keep your PS2 in good condition and you should have no problems and if you do get DREs, phone Sony and they will fix it for free normally(as long as it's not modded of course)

Guest Mr McFarlane

Why shouldn't you play DVD's on it?

No reason, Doc's paranoid/has an old or faulty out PS2. Neither myself or anyone I know has had trouble playing DVDs on a PS2, and I have mine standing vertically (no space on my desk). So long as you're careful with it and keep it clean, shouldn't have any trouble. And make sure you keep enough space around the PS2 for air circulation, don't want it overheating.

The disk maybe slightly damaged. I tend to get scratching noises with some of my old disks, guess the PS2 is trying hard to read the disk.

For some reason my PS2 won't play the last two scenes of The Football Factory DVD, yet my DVD player and PC play the two scenes but the PS2 don't wanna know.

that sound usually means the laser is trying to read the disk but it can't so it gets closer to the disk in which makes the noise. Make sure the game is clean and scratch proof and make sure it doesn't have sticckers on the top side cause they can cause the disk to be unbalanced