WHA Returns

KJE

WHA originally came back with the plan that they'd be operating this season, but that owner sucked shit. A new owner is in, and they plan on starting in the 2005/06 season. Before that, they have Phil Esposito (sp?) running a tournament similar to the World Cup. Each player will receive $20,000 with the winning team splitting $2-million.

Only problem IMO is that games will be held in two cities, so there will be no "home" team. Old WHA jerseys will be worn. Rule changes galore, including an all new point system, which could mean 60 minutes of hockey.

http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net/news/20050304000.php

http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net/news/20050306000.php

From wat I've read/seen, it was basically just a gimmicky, attention seeking league in the 70s, and it will be now. Assuming it gets off the ground. the May tourney I'm interested in as it'll fill the gap, but I really don't want it returning fulltime in a head to head with the NHL season. There's little enough attetnion paid to hockey as it is at the moment, and comepetition for that attention willl be pointless.

Guest Brady_3for3

I like the tournament idea. Just have tours of little mini-tournaments, don't try to run a league that will lose all its stars when the NHL comes back and fail like the IHL did.