AP Newsbreak: Cavaliers fire head coach

sahyder1

AP Newsbreak: Cavaliers fire head coach

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer

March 21, 2005

AP - Mar 21, 11:05 am EST

More Photos

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Paul Silas was fired as coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers on Monday with his team fighting for a playoff spot after being in first place earlier in the year.

Silas told The Associated Press he was called in Monday morning for a brief meeting with general manager Jim Paxson and new owner Dan Gilbert.

``They released me,'' Silas said. ``They didn't think the team was performing as well as it should be and they wanted to make a change.''

Despite having league superstar LeBron James, the Cavaliers have struggled since the All-Star break, losing nine of 12 and nine straight road games, including Sunday's 105-98 loss to Toronto when James scored a franchise-record 56.

Silas said he was not given a detailed explanation of why he was fired, but there have been issues over the last few weeks that have resulted in the Cavaliers' slide after they went into the All-Star break 30-21.

It all may have culminated Sunday when Silas benched starting guard Jeff McInnis and replaced him with Eric Snow. Snow did not score in Cleveland's loss at Toronto and McInnis, despite dressed and available, didn't play.

Earlier this season, Silas threw Snow off the bench after the two exchanged words during the first quarter of a game at Detroit.

Last week, Silas was fined $10,000 by the team for a derogatory comment he made about Utah forward Carlos Boozer.

Silas made the remark to reporters a day before Boozer was to return to Cleveland after leaving the Cavaliers as a free agent last summer. Boozer didn't travel with the Jazz because of a foot injury. Silas later apologized for the remark.

Silas joined Cleveland in June 2003 after being fired by the New Orleans Hornets.

The Cavaliers have called an afternoon news conference at Gund Arena.

Updated on Monday, Mar 21, 2005 11:23 am

Guest Bluesman

Yea, Phil is like one of those online homers who only use the teams with the very best talent...so I doubt he'll go there. Of course also there is the fact it's a smaller market.

This seems questionable, but I haven't been a close follower of the Cavs so there may be more there than I'm aware of.

There's speculation that the Cavs may go after Cleveland native Flip Saunders. I honestly don't care who coaches the Lebrons because it'll always be his fault when the team stinks instead of the players. Not that this is entirely relevant, but I'm sick of the verbal fellatio towards Lebron's big stats. What fucking difference does it make if he drops 56 if the team loses to TORONTO in the middle of a playoff race? I hate Lebron, and I hope he never wins a championship just so I can hear him get ripped the same way Ewing, Barkey, 'Nique, Malone & Stockton are.

There's speculation that the Cavs may go after Cleveland native Flip Saunders. I honestly don't care who coaches the Lebrons because it'll always be his fault when the team stinks instead of the players. Not that this is entirely relevant, but I'm sick of the verbal fellatio towards Lebron's big stats. What fucking difference does it make if he drops 56 if the team loses to TORONTO in the middle of a playoff race? I hate Lebron, and I hope he never wins a championship just so I can hear him get ripped the same way Ewing, Barkey, 'Nique, Malone & Stockton are.

And it pisses me off to no end to hear people rip all six of those guys just because they didn't win a Championship. Even when you are a true MVP candidate (read: someone who can make their team beter), it requires the entire team to play at a high level during the season and at a superhuman level in the playoffs for a Championship to be earned.

That, however, isn't about Silas. So I'll get to the point.

Coaches are shipped out now simply because of logistics. Since free agency has inflated salaries and lowered the concept of loyalty, it's near impossible to get rid of those who aren't performing and bring in a palatable replacement. So instead of working on twelve-to-fifteen players, they can just can one coach and save at least a little hassle.

Cant say I am surprised rumors in the local papers have been flying around for days that his days were numbered they also said GM Paxson is on his way out too. I have heard many names thrown around in recent days about the coach that will replace him. Any idea who the interm coach is? Why does Lebron get all the blame he puts up the numbers every night look at the last 4 games 34, 36, 35, 56, how is it his fault that his teammates arent playing better. He can only pass the ball to them he cant take there shots. The only reason the Cavs are where they are this season is mostly because of Lebron. Like other have said he deserves some consideration for Most Improved player since his points are up 5 his rebounds up a couple and his Shooting % is almost up to 50 from 40 last year and of course DWade deserves consideration too.

LeBron gets the blame because he doesn't elevate the players around him, just like Kobe, and unlike Shaq. When everyone in the media was praising him as an MVP candidate at the All-Star break, you'd have thought he was playing for a team vying for the 1 seed, and now they're struggling to just stay in the playoffs. 'King James' deserves the blame because his team isn't winning in spite of him putting up such gaudy numbers. It's the same scenario as people who were saying T-Mac deserved the MVP award last year because he put up the best stats, even though he did it on the worst team.

Guest Bluesman

At the same time you can't hold him responsible for the entire team. Are you going to hold KG responsible for Cassell and Spree being dicks and their play falling off? How about Hassell, who has struggled at times with the new rules on defense?

Awhile back I played a game against 2 people, one of whom was being recruited to play at the college (so he says). Well, despite us having twice as many people, we lost every game. My teammates refused to play defense and rebound, and settled for perimeter jumpers despite the fact we had twice as many people. I set up defenses, told them simply to get in the guy's way and I'd rebound, etc. It got to the point where I was guarding the guy who claimed he was being recruited, literraly took him out of the game (he just stood around on the perimeter), and yet his teammate was able to get to the hoop and score with ease against THREE people. I couldn't switch off, because the recruit would drain 3's if you didn't put a hand in his face, and I was the only one would challenge his shot. So, is it going to be my fault that despite my personal play, my personal direction, we ended up losing?

When there are 5 guys out there on the court, you can only blame 1 guy for so much.

Guest Bluesman

Alright, that makes a lot more sense than the generalized "If a stars team sucks he sucks" that I was drawing from your posts. I had completely forgotten about his toilent comments.