ESPN Football...

Guest Bluesman

Guest Bluesman

I started playing this again on the PS2 (tried Madden on the X-Box and it's absolute shit). Anyways, I'm having a horrible time throwing interceptions. I use custom sliders, and I'll have the CPU's coverage at ZERO and I still throw INT's and get 60% completions...with catching and QB sliders almost maxed out. I've got interceptions at zero (all the way to the left) and it still doesn't seem to do much. I've got Culpepper at QB.

I don't throw off my back foot or anything, and am careful not to pass into coverage. It seems like any pass of mine that the defense gets it's hands on (partly through tips) it gets for an INT. Any suggestions?

I've run into the same problem myself with this game. I've found that hitting the WR on slants and screens (hit them in stride before the DB has a chance to make a play on the ball) after taking a three step drop can help. You also have to sometimes throw the ball where only the WR can catch it. I know it sounds strange in a video game, but try and anticipate where the WR and ball will meet when you make the throw.

Also if you notice that the WR's are covered like blankets, try dumping the ball off to your RB or FB in the flat. Alot of times you can pick up alot of yards after the catch if you have some daylight ahead. I'd also recommend that you run alot if the passing game isn't working. If you can establish a run game, it should open up the passing game for you.

Slants always worked well for me in that game, but it's always hard to complete passes. Any play where they run straight out is tough. Also, curls are pretty good too, just make sure there isn't a Corner standing in front of the receiver when you're throwing.

I usually play all the games in my season, and I usually complete 50% of my passes and it never looks accurate when you see the end of season stats.

Guest Bluesman

Yea, on the curls I've found you have to hit them after they curl or the DB will work around him and pick off the pass. The slants work quite well, especially when you see a LB showing blitz. This seems to help with paying attention to the LB'ers to make sure one isn't sitting underneath (I've missed them a couple of times and got picked). The rolling out works very well, as you can usually get a guy or two wide open, especially if they are crossing the same way. You can just lob it up and they'll haul it in.

I just played a game without any INT's. Of course I was a little bitch and would only throw if there was no one near the receivers. I also didn't do any deep passes.