2005 Triple Crown Thread

Guest Wrestling_Man

Guest Wrestling_Man

Well, it's that time of year again. The first Saturday in May is coming which can only mean one thing, the Triple Crown. No horse has won it since Affirmed in 1978, although last year we almost had it as Smarty Jones, who captured America's heart lost by a length. Will we have another Smarty Jones? Will we finally see a Triple Crown winner? We'll find out. Here are as of the time that all the posts were drawn for the Kentucky Derby the odds.

1. Sort It Out (Brice Blanc, 50-1)

2. Andromeda's Hero (Rafael Bejarano, 50-1)

3. Sun King (Edgar Prado, 15-1)

4. Noble Causeway (Gary Stevens, 12-1)

5. Coin Silver (Patrick Valenzuela, 20-1)

6. High Limit (Ramon Dominguez, 12-1)

7. Flower Alley (Jorge Chavez, 20-1)

8. Greater Good (John McKee, 20-1)

9. Greeley's Galaxy (Kent Desormeaux, 15-1)

10. Giacomo (Mike Smith, 50-1)

11. High Fly (Jerry Bailey, 8-1)

12. Afleet Alex (Jeremy Rose, 9-2)

13. Spanish Chestnut (Joe Bravo, 50-1)

14. Wilko (Corey Nakatani, 20-1)

15. Bandini (John Velazquez, 6-1)

16. Bellamy Road (Javier Castellano, 5-2)

17. Don't Get Mad (Tyler Baze, 30-1)

18. Closing Argument (Cornelio Velasquez, 30-1)

19. Going Wild (Jose Valdivia, Jr., 50-1)

20. Buzzards Bay (Mark Guidry, 20-1)

No doubt the favorite is Bellamy Road, but there are some horses that could beat him like Bandini, I'm surprised that Afleet Alex is at 9-2, making him the second choice, but hey, Smarty Jones was the second choice up until race time, so lightning could strike twice.

Guest Wrestling_Man

If you saw the race today, wow, we had a major upset at the Derby. Giacomo who wasn't even a favorite, wins the Kentucky Derby beating out another underdog, Closing Argument, with Alfeet Alex finishing third. I'll post the results up later, but now, do you guys as of right now Buy or Sell Giacomo winning the Triple Crown.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wrestling_Man

This Saturday is the 130th running of the Preakness Stakes and is the second jewel of the Triple Crown. 14 horses are in it, including the top three horses in the Kentucky Derby, winner Giacomo, Closing Argument and Afleet Alex. 10 horses from the Derby are in it, and 4 new horses included. Yesterday they selected there posts by a new method which we'll see if it worked or if it sucked. Here are the posts and odds as of this morning.

1. Malibu Moonshine 20-1

2. High Fly 9-2

3. Noble Causeway 10-1

4. Greeley's Galaxy 15-1

5. Scrappy T 20-1

6. Hal's Image 50-1

7. Closing Argument 5-1

8. Galloping Grocer 30-1

9. Wilko 10-1

10. Sun King 15-1

11. High Limit 12-1

12. Afleet Alex 5-2

13. Giacomo 6-1

14. Going Wild 30-1

There they are. Not surprised that Afleet Alex is the favorite, but to have High Fly as the second choice is surprising. But since I live in Maryland it's the biggest day of the year for horse racing in Maryland, it's just fun to watch. I don't like Giacomo's chances of winning the race, no horse who was in gate 13 or 14 has ever won the Preakness, and it'll continue this Saturday. My pick to win it is Closing Argument, he looked good at the Derby and if that race was about another quarter or half mile, he would've won it.

This Saturday is the 130th running of the Preakness Stakes and is the second jewel of the Triple Crown.  14 horses are in it, including the top three horses in the Kentucky Derby, winner Giacomo, Closing Argument and Afleet Alex.  10 horses from the Derby are in it, and 4 new horses included.  Yesterday they selected there posts by a new method which we'll see if it worked or if it sucked.  Here are the posts and odds as of this morning.

1. Malibu Moonshine 20-1

2. High Fly 9-2

3. Noble Causeway 10-1

4. Greeley's Galaxy 15-1

5. Scrappy T 20-1

6. Hal's Image 50-1

7. Closing Argument 5-1

8. Galloping Grocer 30-1

9. Wilko 10-1

10. Sun King 15-1

11. High Limit 12-1

12. Afleet Alex 5-2

13. Giacomo 6-1

14. Going Wild 30-1

There they are.  Not surprised that Afleet Alex is the favorite, but to have High Fly as the second choice is surprising.  But since I live in Maryland it's the biggest day of the year for horse racing in Maryland, it's just fun to watch.  I don't like Giacomo's chances of winning the race, no horse who was in gate 13 or 14 has ever won the Preakness, and it'll continue this Saturday.  My pick to win it is Closing Argument, he looked good at the Derby and if that race was about another quarter or half mile, he would've won it.

Guest Wrestling_Man

This Saturday is the 130th running of the Preakness Stakes and is the second jewel of the Triple Crown.  14 horses are in it, including the top three horses in the Kentucky Derby, winner Giacomo, Closing Argument and Afleet Alex.  10 horses from the Derby are in it, and 4 new horses included.  Yesterday they selected there posts by a new method which we'll see if it worked or if it sucked.  Here are the posts and odds as of this morning.

1. Malibu Moonshine 20-1

2. High Fly 9-2

3. Noble Causeway 10-1

4. Greeley's Galaxy 15-1

5. Scrappy T 20-1

6. Hal's Image 50-1

7. Closing Argument 5-1

8. Galloping Grocer 30-1

9. Wilko 10-1

10. Sun King 15-1

11. High Limit 12-1

12. Afleet Alex 5-2

13. Giacomo 6-1

14. Going Wild 30-1

There they are.  Not surprised that Afleet Alex is the favorite, but to have High Fly as the second choice is surprising.  But since I live in Maryland it's the biggest day of the year for horse racing in Maryland, it's just fun to watch.  I don't like Giacomo's chances of winning the race, no horse who was in gate 13 or 14 has ever won the Preakness, and it'll continue this Saturday.  My pick to win it is Closing Argument, he looked good at the Derby and if that race was about another quarter or half mile, he would've won it.

How do you figure that Closing Argument would have won? Closing Argument had the lead and Giacomo came out of anywhere, if the race had been a quarter mile Giacomo would have likely stretched his lead out because it didn't look like he was showing any signs of slowing.

Guest Wrestling_Man

Well, we can forget about Giacomo winning the Triple Crown this year as he finished 3rd in a race that almost had a disaster with Afleet Alex, but he pulled himself back up and won the race beating Scrappy T, who the jockey caused the almost tragedy and spoiled any hopes of a Triple Crown. I think Scrappy T should be DQ'd for the jockey moving him like that, but it might not happen, but we'll talk at the Belmont, if anybody cares like me.

Well, we can forget about Giacomo winning the Triple Crown this year as he finished 3rd in a race that almost had a disaster with Afleet Alex, but he pulled himself back up and won the race beating Scrappy T, who the jockey caused the almost tragedy and spoiled any hopes of a Triple Crown.  I think Scrappy T should be DQ'd for the jockey moving him like that, but it might not happen, but we'll talk at the Belmont, if anybody cares like me.

Guest Wrestling_Man

WWJD, I don't think we'll ever agree. LOL. But yeah, if Mike Smith hadn't held Giacomo at that point in the race when Afleet Alex was making his move, maybe he would've won the race.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Wrestling_Man

Well, this Saturday is the Belmont Stakes and even though there will be nobody going for the Triple Crown, you should still watch it for the final battle in this series between Giacomo, the Kentucky Derby winner, and Afleet Alex, the Preakness Stakes winner. And now with the news that Scrappy T has pulled out of the Belmont, the rubber match now seems a little bit more interesting.

I think that people care alot less about horse racing when there is no Triple Crown on the line after the first 2 races, including myself. Anyways I really dont think that Giamico is going to win this at all, Derby was a fluke and I think Alex will probaly win this one.

Guest Wrestling_Man

OK, here are the odds for the Belmont, aka, the Rubber Match.

1. NOLAN'S CAT: 50-1

2. PINPOINT: 20-1

3. A. P. ARROW: 20-1

4. SOUTHERN AFRICA: 12-1

5. GIACOMO: 4-1

6. WATCHMON: 50-1

7. ANDROMEDA'S HERO: 15-1

8. REVERBERATE: 6-1

9. AFLEET ALEX: 6-5

10. INDY STORM: 20-1

11. CHEKHOV: 12-1

Could be interesting with this race.