Coach Gretzky

sahyder1

Report: Wayne Gretzky poised to take over as Coyotes head coach

May 10, 2005

PHOENIX (CP) - Wayne Gretzky is poised to take over as head coach of the Phoenix Coyotes, according to a report in Arizona's East Valley Tribune newspaper.

Citing "well-placed NHL sources," the Tribune says Gretzky and the Coyotes have all but agreed in principle on a new three-year contract extension. Gretzky is part-owner of the NHL club. The formal announcement is expected this week, the Tribune said.

The report also says Rick Bowness, interim head coach at the end of the 2003-04 season, will resume his former role as an assistant coach. The second assistant spot is expected to filled by former Coyote Rick Tocchet but likely won't be filled until a new collective bargaining agreement is reached, the Tribune said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bowness stepped in as the interim coach when the Coyotes fired Bob Francis on Feb. 24, 2004.

Gretzky said last month he would be reluctant to take over as head coach if the NHL decides to open next season with replacement players.

Updated on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 12:18 pm EDT

Email to a Friend | View Popular

Guest ryan_the_canuck

Only one thing to say to this...

Walter Gretzky had a son

He grew up to be The Great One

He came from Brantford, Ontario

He liked Gordie Howe, you know

Americans don't understand

The national sport of the north land

The world's fastest game they're always dissin'

But they don't know what they are missin'

But if they saw Wayne Gretzky play

Then they'd watch hockey every day

Actually, I like the Hawks

But, boy oh boy, Wayne Gretzky rocks

When I lived in Edmonton

He made it a city of champions

With Jari and Semenko by his side

He filled a frigid city with pride

Then it was off to LA

To help bring hockey to the USA

Everyone hated Peter and Janet

For trading the best player on the planet

They traded him and sure enough

He took the Kings to the Stanley Cup

But, boy oh boy, Wayne Gretzky rocks.

Came from Brantford, Ontario

His rival's name is Mario

But, boy oh boy, Wayne Gretzky

Boy oh boy, Wayne Gretzky rocks

Guest ryan_the_canuck

I don't know. My file says it was the Arrogant Worms, but I'm pretty sure it's one of those songs that people attribute to them even though it's not theirs.

Hopefully Wayne sees that Mike Comrie has potential coming out the wazoo. And in my opinion Ladislav Nagy was on the verge of possibily being considered a future franchise player before his injury last season.... 52 points in 55 games ain't too shabby, would have been nice to see what he could have done in the last month and a half of that season.

Phoenix desperately needs some good direction, aswell as their defense injected with some serious beef. If Wayne can coach half as good as he could play, this could be the sleeper team to watch out for in the West next season. They have some great, solid, talented players on their team. In addition to Comrie and Nagy, they have an amazing all star forward and a Canadian National team member in Shane Doan, Petr Nedved, who is experienced as well as very talented (he's good for AT LEAST a 40 point season)... Oh yeah, and Brett Hull... whatever, I guess he could be ok for one last season. Blah, as talented as he is/was, I can't stand Hull... but that's another story. However, I will openly admit even at his age there are few as dangerous as Brett is at the opposing teams hash marks. The defense is a double edged sword for Phoenix... they have some good offensive defensemen who have no problem with producing assists, but they aren't as productive in their own zone, save for Sean O'Donnell who can't hold down the fort all by his lonesome. Oh, and something has to be done about the goaltending situation. TWO American goalies?!?!?... Good luck with that.... I kid, I kid. Seiously, though Boucher is a pretty good goalie, IMO, he lacks that certain "it" to be a solid stand out starter. With some defensive help you probably wouldn't notice his weaknesses as much, but as I stated, Coyotes aren't doing too well in that department.

Coaching and some good defensive defensemen are the keys to end Phoenix's woes. Maybe with The Great One at the helm they have one of those covered... or not. Time will tell.

Assuming all this on a hope and prayer that the NHL gets underway next season without any problems, sans replacement players, etc (knock on wood ten thousand times over or I'll cry... which I'm getting ready to do)

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

GM denies report Wayne Gretzky poised to take over as Coyotes head coach

May 11, 2005

CP - May 10, 12:51 pm EDT

More Photos

PHOENIX (CP) - Phoenix Coyotes general manager Mike Barnett denied a report Tuesday that Wayne Gretzky is poised to take over as head coach of the team.

In an interview with FAN 590 sports radio in Toronto, Barnett said nothing was imminent despite a report in Arizona's East Valley Tribune newspaper suggesting Gretzky and the team had reached an agreement on a three-year contract extension.

"There is not an announcement pending, I can tell you that from within our organization," said Barnett. "When an announcement is made, it'll be because Wayne and his partner (chairman and governor) Steve Ellman have something to announce.

"At this point, I think whatever appears to have got a life as a story is a little bit erroneous."

The Tribune, citing "well-placed NHL sources," says Gretzky, who is part-owner of the NHL club, will officially be introduced as head coach later this week.

Barnett told the FAN Gretzky hasn't ruled out the possibility of taking over coaching duties when the NHL resumes.

"I think it's intrigued him to the point that to this stage, he has again not yet said that it's out of the question as a no," Barnett said.

Gretzky said last month he would be reluctant to take over as head coach if the NHL decides to open next season with replacement players.