GAWA (Inspired and ripoff of Golden Boy)

Guest KnightsHFU

Guest KnightsHFU

BACKSTORY

Tony Shultz, a good friend with a wealthy father called me up and said he had won the lottery, obtained $500,000, and wanted to use it to start up a wrestling company. Shultz was an all-star athlete with amazing charisma and had attended wrestling school, but never wanted to work for anyone else. He hired me to handle the business. So I accepted.

We purchased a ring from Llama Ring Mfc, and took off from there, putting on shows in an empty lot on a strip mall that Tony's father owns.

Next we had to come up with a promotion name. We finally came up with Great American Wrestling Alliance. Born on July 1st, 2005.

BUSINESS AFFAIRS

Shultz and I wanted to get a show going as fast as possible. We set up his basement as our official office and put flyers up around town for a secretary and a referee. Sophie, the girl next door, was recruited as secretary, and around the week I had made our first hire...

Referee Bruno Leclerk - Bruno was no ordinary ref. Bruno was a ref who was a homeless man looking for a job. I accepted, of course, after he showed us he could count to three.

Now all I needed was wrestlers. I put up flyers around town again, but this time looking for people who could wrestle. I only planned on hiring three right off. I narrowed the candidates down to these marvels...

Christian Jiminez - We discovered that 18 year old Christian had amazing speed and was a high school wrestler who had built up fantastic mat skills. He is a tad bit lazy, but come on, can you get better than this guy for an upstart promotion?

Jason Norcross - Very similar in size to Christian Jiminez, 24 year old Jason doesn't have great mat skills, but he made up for that with charisma.

Simon LaVey - The only other person who came out who wasn't out of shape and could actually move. He has pretty good speed, but lacks pretty much everything else. Didn't have much of a choice but to hire this 26 year old former football star.

We were set to put on our very first show, and would let people in free just to get a taste of the action. We set up our little arena on the strip mall, and we were ready to go. The first show, Breakdown, is set for July 8th, 2005.

Edited by KnightsHFU

1) Your backstory should have been your first post. The first post was a load of crap and a waste of time.

2) Your backstory is way too short. Not everyone needs a long backstory, but you need it to be a paragraph.

3) Original diaries are good, and so are rip-offs. But coming out and blatantly saying you’re ripping a guy off, and to do it in one sentence is just stupid.

Reassess, reload and restart.

Guest KnightsHFU

Event Day

Tony and I were hanging out at the GAWA Arena awaiting the arrival of the three wrestlers we had hired, and of course, the homeless referee, Bruno. Christian, Simon, Jason, and Bruno arrived one man at a time. When everyone was there I called together a short meeting to discuss the matches for tonight.

Me: OK guys, everyone here is going to wrestle twice tonight. Who do you guys want to face off with? Well to find out who gets to pick the four wrestlers are going to draw straws.

I prepared the straws and Jason drew the longest straw, followed by Tony, then Simon, then Christian. The only rule was that no wrestler could wrestle more than once.

Jason: I want to square off against Christian and Simon.

Me: Well, Jason is off limits. Tony?

Tony: Umm...looks like I have no choice but to face...Christian and Simon!

Me: Damn it, this didn't work out at all, everyone is booked. OK, Tony, you face Jason and Christian and Simon face each other, too, ok? Now we decide the order and winners.

Simon: Let's play paper-rock-scissors.

Me: Haha, ok, why not? Whoever picked first goes first, third, and fifth. Jason, play your first opponent and we'll play backstage before every match.

Jason: OK, come here Christian

Jason wins scissors to paper.

Christian: Damn

Me: OK, Jason, you win that match, which will be the first of the evening. OK boys, just remember, don't kill each other.

GAWA BREAKDOWN

July 8th, 2005

Christian Jiminez and Jason Norcross make their way to the ring for the first match after I introduce the show.

In a match dominated by Christian Jiminez, Jason Norcross finally comes out victorious using the Inverted 720 Splash.

46% (16,77)

The two go to the back where I greet them.

Me: Hey guys, good match, bravo, bravo.  Hope you boys are still ready for your other two matches tonight.  Where's Tony and Simon?

Tony: Here we are!  Time for P-R-S, right?

Simon: Let's go, dude.

Tony defeats Simon after a tie, rock to scissors.

Simon: Damn it.

Me: Simon, go ahead and face Jason because that match will be immediately after.

Simon: I'm gonna be dead by the time this night is over.

Jason defeats Simon, paper to rock.

Me: Well get your asses out there.  Jason, Simon...I want Jason to win with his feet on the ropes to fix it up a little bit.

Simon and Tony make their way down to the ring.

Simon LaVey has a few bright spots, but the match is dominated by Tony Shultz who gets the pin using the Jackknife Powerbomb.

43% (17,69)

After the match Tony celebrates with one of the only fans in the house. Jason Norcross comes out and the next match begins promptly.

Simon LaVey seems to have recovered, and has an incredible match with Jason.  Even though it was close and could have gone on longer, Jason Norcross wins the match using the ropes as leverage to get the pin.

47% (18,77)

After the match Jason Norcross gets out of the ring and runs from the building.  After a minute of arguing with the ref, Simon makes his way to the back, where I talk to him.

Simon: Where the hell did Jason go?

Me: I told him to leave the building and I'd call him because he is in the last match.  He was supposed to be running from you, Simon.

Simon: That's cool, do I have to lose anymore tonight?

Me: Yep.  Now could you go tell Christian its time for his match.

Tony Shultz is in the ring, and out from the back comes Christian Jiminez, and the match begins

Christian Jiminez was on the offensive for most of the match.  When he had no other choice, Tony Shultz reached the pull something from his tights.  The ref catches him with brass knuckles and disqualifies him, making Christian Jiminez the winner!

45% (20,71)

After the match, Tony Shultz has a breakdown and starts going nuts, running to the back, pulling his hair out while on the way.  Christian remains in the ring, and from the back again comes Simon LaVey, and he attacks Christian to prompt the beginning of the next match.

In a quick match with little offense from Simon, Christian Jiminez defeats him using the Frog Splash.

42% (15,70)

After the match Christian offers to shake Simon's hand, and he accepts it!  They then make their way to the back, and I make my way out to address the crowd.

Me: Well, I hope everyone here tonight enjoyed the show that these four guys have put on for you, but we have one more match.  Tony Shultz, come on down!

Tony Shultz makes his way from the back and gets on the mic

Tony: Russ, I have no better honor than to be here today competing for the GAWA!  This is my promotion, I'm the franchise, there are no Norcross', LaVey's, or Jiminez' that can even touch me.  I am the fastest, I am the strongest...

Jason Norcross walks in, and has a mic.

Jason: We'll just have to see about that, Tony.  The only thing "strong" about you is that horrible smell that is emitting from your body.

Jason rushes in the ring and attacks, and I tell the ref to start the match.

The match goes on back and forth for about 20 minutes with mixed offense.  Jason hits a superkick and Tony is down, and then Simon LaVey comes from the back!  He attacks Jason and hits the 450 Splash on him, and puts Tony over him and the ref counts 1...2...3 to give Tony Shultz the win.

37% (7,68)

After the match Tony Shultz salutes the crowd and makes his way to the back, and Simon continues the assault on Jason.  Simon finally lets up and heads to the back.  After about 5 minutes Jason gets up and makes his way to the back.

Show Rating: 42%

Crowd: 4

Edited by KnightsHFU

Guest KnightsHFU

SPONSORSHIP DEALS

GAWAWRESTLING.COM JULY 9TH, 2005

We are pleased to announce that we have signed two sponsorship deals.

The main sponsor is Chart Wars.  Charts Wars is a simulation game where you try to lead your band to the top of the charts.

The second sponsor is TitleHistories.com, a website detailing the history of wrestling titles throughout the United States and Canada!

We look forward to working with these two companies.

Edited by KnightsHFU

Well at least you edited your backstory into your first post!

Your show was weak. The promos stand out as a real sore spot because they all sound the same. Nothing separates one guy from another either then the name. You need different guys to use different words and mannerisms to set their character apart from others.

The matches were terrible as well. Like the backstory matches don't need to be drawn out in length, but they need to be at least a paragraph so the reader can get a feel for the match and start to understand the characters you’re trying to portray.

Overall this is horrible.

BUT

You’re new at diary writing and the only way to get better is to practise! Work on what I suggested and I think you will improve ten fold. I know you enjoyed GBW, but maybe for your first diary you should try something easier like the WWE. Either way you’re trying, and with hard work and patients you will get better. Good luck!

Guest KnightsHFU

Thx, I mean I'm pretty good at the game, I've taken a promotion from the bottom to the top before, I'm just starting out ya know, but I'll do a few shows of this and get better. I like to stick with something and improve on it.

I agree with Miami Vice. The first show sucked majorly.

In fact everything has sucked majorly so far

But so did GBW early on. I shall watch for improvement

Guest KnightsHFU

Between Show Happenings

July 15, 2005

OK, Sophie told me that I had a call from a guy claiming to be an independent wrestler who saw promise in our promotion and wanted to wrestle for us.  His name was Lance Wilkins.  I decided to give him a call because we needed more talent, and the conversation went something like this...

Me: Hello, this is Russ Cabrera of the GAWA, I hear you wanted to wrestle for us.

Lance: Yeah dawg, I'm off da chain, you think John Cena got them rhymes and chymes, I'd put Roc-A-Fella outta' business.

The first thing I thought was that this guy can't be serious, but I decided to hang on for a little bit longer.

Me: OK Mr. ... Wilkins, is it?

Lance: Yeah, pimp.

Me: Mr. Wilkins, what sort of skills do you have, and what previous experience do you have?

Lance: Well I been known to roll with independs like the IWS and pimp with da MLW when it was in bizzzzznassssss.  I got raps that will put John Cena outta his commission, so I gonna make you a proposition.

Me: What is that, sir?

Lance: Hire me and I put da asses in da seats.

I decided to let him join us, and put it on the website right away.  We can't save him for a surprise, people have to know he's here if they recognize him.

Me: You're hired.  Be here on August the 12th for your first show.  You know where we're at.

Lance: Yeah dawg, I be there.  By da way, my in-ring M.O. is D.J. Cool!

*beep*

Well our first new hire since the inception. Hopefully it's worth it, this guy seems promising.

A rapper/wrestler who tries way too hard? This should be interesting.

Edited by KnightsHFU

Just a brief side note and then I'll reply to the diary. As the one true Mitch Paradise fan... :pervert: I agree that GBW's early characters had a catchy charm to them. That said, however, as even Conniption will admit (grudgingly at times) it wasn't always the well written show that we came to expect. Deathwish in particular provided some rough spots if I'm remembering correctly...although then again, I always wanted him to dive out of the tree. I'm guessing he means early in time instead of early in the promotion, or at least that's how I read it.

But enough on that.

1) You've inspired me to give my rip-off...I mean...spin-off another go, so if nothing else the concept's got promise.

2)

umm...I think we're professionals!  We are making a profit, right?  Well, about as much a little girl's lemonade stand, but maybe cutting the price in half will get us a couple more people.

Guest KnightsHFU

More Between Show Happenings

August 2, 2005

Bruno, our homeless ref, approached me at my home without going through Sophie today, and had one of his buddies with him.  This wasn't just any buddy, this was one of the most worn out, dirty, raggety bums I have seen in my life.  I am glad I had sheets on my sofa or I would of had to disinfect it.  Anyway, Bruno had a proposition for me, so we engaged in a conversation that went something like this...

Bruno: Russ, I'd like you to meet my friend Andy.  Andy, this is Russ, the manager of the Great American Wrestling Alliance

Me: Nice to meet you, Andy.

Andy: *Mumbling* Nice to meet you too

Bruno: My sidekick Andy here, he has always wanted to be a professional wrestler.  The boys at the shelter somehow found out I was a ref for a wrestling promotionl, and Andy spoke up and asked me to try to get him in as a wrestler.  At first I thought that there was no way in hell that you could use a bum like him, but I wanted to try anyway.

I gave them an ugly look

Bruno: I guess we'll be going then...

They start to get up.

Andy: *Under his breath* Sorry...

Me: WAIT!  Sit down, boys, sit down.  Andy,  I think I might just have a spot for you.

Andy: *This time in a loud voice that was still scruffy* REALLY!?!

Me: Yeah.

Andy: COOL!!!

Bruno: Hey son, don't get all excited now.  What are the terms, Russ?

Me: Andy, all I want you to do is...be yourself, ok?

Andy: No problem, mister!  I come with Bruno to the show!

Bruno: Thanks again, Russ.

Andy and Bruno get up and leave.  I see a massive spot of black dirt where Andy was sitting.

I felt a bit of charity and decided to hire this homeless bum. If he just acts like himself then he can really get over with our couple of fans and maybe bring some more to the folding chairs outside our ring. I can see it now..."Come to GAWA to see Homeless Andy in action!" I won't even advertise this on the site and promote him as a bum who came up looking for work at the show.

Edited by KnightsHFU

Once the homeless bum gets a shot at your main title you should have a back ally brawl and say that Andy has the "home field advantage"! LOL!

As much as people like to rip you for your "un-perfect" diary one thing they can't rip you for is your commitment and dedication. Like I said, keep this up and you will improve. Congratulation on having the gumption to blow off some of the jerks here and working to make things better.

Just a brief side note and then I'll reply to the diary.  As the one true Mitch Paradise fan... :pervert: I agree that GBW's early characters had a catchy charm to them.  That said, however, as even Conniption will admit (grudgingly at times) it wasn't always the well written show that we came to expect.  Deathwish in particular provided some rough spots if I'm remembering correctly...although then again, I always wanted him to dive out of the tree.  I'm guessing he means early in time instead of early in the promotion, or at least that's how I read it.

But enough on that.

1) You've inspired me to give my rip-off...I mean...spin-off another go, so if nothing else the concept's got promise.

2)

umm...I think we're professionals!  We are making a profit, right?  Well, about as much a little girl's lemonade stand, but maybe cutting the price in half will get us a couple more people.

Cute, now run with it. Give the audience personality if it's so small, and really focus on crowd-wrestler interaction to build character. When you can't have good matches, characters make the diary...then again, I say they do even in "good match" diaries.

3) I don't care about your sponsors unless you do something with them. Put them into the show. I'm not saying go out in description, but make in unique instead of genero-comedy-backyard-fed

4) Character-a-plenty. DJ Cool's a start (although I won't lie, JC Ice and...damn it, there was another rapper, but from what I've seen it's hard to do well, so good luck). Generic characters work in "the 'E" but you need draws for the diary. The voice of Todd, Tiny Smalls, Deathwish, Maxx Power, MITCH PARADISE, and the like were all unique and interesting and that's why IWF/GBW worked so well. As a side note, take bad luck and turn it into a blessing...just keep your cat away from the computer.

Ah well, I've rambled enough, keep trying and...unique...just like the Justice League...<_<

Guest KnightsHFU

Event Day

Everybody arrived at the GAWA Arena, minus Homeless Andy, and I called a pre-show meeting in the locker room, which consisted of a single 12x12 foot office. Everyone noticed that I was carrying a duffle bag.

Me: Boys...tonight...we must go and put on a show that will put us on the map.  The map of the smallest of the small promotions, but at least we must be noticed.  Tonight, in a 4 way Elimination Match, and the winner will recieve this...

I opened up the duffle bag and pulled out a championship belt, which was just a replica WWE Championship that had masking tape on it and labeled "GAWA Championship"

Me: The bad news is that you boys know the winner beforehand, and that man...is Tony Shultz.

Tony: Yippee doo-da-day.

Me: Have a positive attitude about this, Tony, you're the first ever GAWA Champion!  Bruno, are you ready to ref this match?

Bruno: Boy let me tell you, I'm more ready to referee this than I would be for a Hank Williams Jr. concert

Me: Haha, okay, Bruno, we're depending on you.  Jason, tonight, you will be facing Simon in a hardcore match.  That is why I have loaded the area under the ring with various goodies, such as trash can lids and billiards sticks I found in the dumpster behind a closed pool hall.

Simon: *gulps*

Jason: *sinister smile*

Me: Lance, uhh, DJ Sick, where are you, DJ Sick?

Sick: I'm right next to you, pimp.

Me: OK, you're going to start the show by cutting a promo introducing yourself.  Can you do it?

Sick: Boy, I can do it like tappin' a Amsterdam ho.  Oh wait.

Me: Well boys, almost time for the show to start.  Get ready.

Edited by KnightsHFU

Guest KnightsHFU

GAWA URBAN ASSAULT

August 12th, 2005

The show started with sparklers going off in the small entrance way we had.  Yes, sparklers.  Fire hazard, but who knew?  All...four...fans cheer and gloat.  Hey look, it's the same four trailer trash bums from last month!

DJ Sick makes his way to the ring, slowly, teasing the audience on the way.  He is decked out in a Michael Vick jersey, khaki pants with the crotch as his knees, and a backwards Chicago Blackhawks cap.  He proceeds to crip walk into the ring and starts to talk...

DJ Sick: Aight, stop and listen.  I'm this dump's newest acquisition.  I'm making dollas' like preppy schoolboys be poppin' collas'.  My bitch tonight is named Christian, but I'm in the position like a man on a mission to whoop his ass like a black cat crossing his path, if you believe in superstitions.  I'm gonna take him out like bubblegumming a water spout, I'm gonna make him like Santa Claus and get...umm...well lets just get him out here!

59%

Christian Jiminez makes his way to the ring quickly, and he looks like he has something to say...

Christian: You talkin' to me?  I repeat, you talkin' to me?  Let me give you some background on me, Christian Jiminez (Pronounced: Chreestyawn Yeeminez).  I am former high school soccer star.  I go all-state all four year.

DJ Sick: Well I took karate!

Christian: Well let me see what you got!

With this, the bell is rung, and Christian attacks.  Christian has the upper hand for a couple of blows, stomping mudholes into Sick, but Sick grabs Christian's leg and pulls him down.  Sick has some offense in, but Christian manages to regroup and takes charge again.  Christian grabs Sick's looses jersey and drags him around the ring before referee Bruno stops this.  The match goes back and forth for about 15 minutes before Sick hits the Dragon Suplex and pins Christian with his feet on the ropes.  After the match, Sick gets out of the ring, and starts to talk again...

Sick: Told you I'd beat you punk!

59% (30, 80)

Sick leaves, and then Christian leaves after recovering.  Bruno announces that the next match will be a hardcore match between a raged Simon LaVey and Jason Norcross.  Simon makes his way to the ring with a very serious look on his face.  Jason Norcross makes his way to the ring quickly.

The match starts with Jason Norcross performing a spinning wheel kick on Simon, and Simon quickly rolls out of the ring to regroup.  Simon rolls back in, and spears Jason!  The two brawl for quite some time before Jason rolls out of the ring and grabs a chair from underneath the ring and nails a pursuing Simon LaVey with it!  Jason tries to pin, but Simon kicks out on the two count.  After some more basic wrestling the two get up and face off in the ring, Jason with a chair and Simon with a pool cue.  Simon snaps!  Simon just starts wailing relentlessly at Jason, throwing everything at him, all Jason can do is try unsuccessfully to defend himself.  Eventually, the ref has seen enough and pulls Simon off of Jason.  Jason is passed out!  The ref, Bruno, has no choice but to declare Simon the winner.

54% (24, 85)

Simon LaVey leaves with a sinister smile on his face.  The ref checks on Jason Norcross, and all the other wrestlers come out to carry him to the back, still unconscious.  Tony Shultz comes out and says he wanted to cut an interview.

Tony: Tonight, fans, all four of you trailer trash bums, there is a match for the Great American Wrestling Alliance...heavyweight...championship...of the GAWA.  Now let me tell you something.  Tonight, I will win that match.  I am the greatest thing to happen to wrestling since Hollywood Hogan.  I AM A WRESTLING GOD.  (Someone in the audience yells that JBL already said that.)  I don't care, sit your fat ass down, hillbilly, or I'll use you as a warm up.  (Same guy yells "Screw you, Tony!")  I'm not going to entertain you anymore, I'm leaving.

66%

A bum walks into the building and gets in the ring.  This is the most raggetty trashy bum you can ever find.  Hey wait, it's Homeless Andy!  Andy tries to talk...

Andy:  C....c....can anybody give me some change?  I...I...I have no h...home, and I came h...here tod...d...day to try to get some money.  I want to wrassle a ma...ma...match.  But...but first, I want change.  Pwease give Andy some change. (A fan in the audience gives Andy a bunch of pennies from his pocket.) Thank...thank you, sir.  After show I will wash you win...windows.

29%

About this time, Christian comes out and starts talking.

Christian:  Andy, manager has told me I be your opponent tonight.  Now let me give you some background on Christian Jiminez.  I am former high school soccer star.  I made all-state all four years.

Andy attacks Christian, and the match starts.  Andy hits Christian and then rolls out of the ring and runs around, and then hops back in.  He does this again, but Christian grabs him and hits a snap suplex on him.  Christian body slams Andy and gets on the top rope to hit the frog splash!  Andy rolls out of the way!  The two brawl back and forth and even throwing in a few technical moves here and there.  Christian grapples Andy and goes for a snap suplex, but Andy pushes him off.  Andy pulls the change out of his pocket and starts throwing lumps of it at Christian!  Bruno disqualifies Andy for use of foreign objects, and Andy runs out of the building, Christian chasing after him!

42% (24, 61)

Referee Bruno announces that it is now time for the Four Way match for the GAWA Championshiop.  It is told that Christian was originally in, but will be replaced by DJ Sick.  The other participants are a recovered Jason Norcross, Simon LaVey, and Tony Shultz.  Everyone makes their way to the ring one at a time.  Tony bucks at the fan who was yelling at him earlier, and the fan almost falls off his feet.  Once everyone is in the ring, Bruno rings the bell and the match begins.

Simon LaVey immediately goes after Jason Norcross, while DJ Sick takes Tony Shultz.  Simon and Jason brawl for a bit and whipping each other into the corners, while DJ Sick and Tony put on a display of amazing ground technical moves.  Tony hits a lionsault on DJ Sick, and he's down!  The ref covers...Sick pops out at the two count.  Jason Norcross has the upper hand on Simon LaVey, performing a huricanrana from the top rope.  DJ Sick and Jason Norcross continue to brawl.  Simon LaVey is recovered and HE SNAPS AGAIN!  Simon starts wailing relentlessly on Jason Norcross.  DJ Sick sees and decides to take focus off of Tony, and applies a schoolboy rollup on Simon, who had his back turned bashing Jason.  DJ Sick gets the three count on Simon LaVey!  Simon LaVey then leaves, with the same sinister smile on his face that he had before.  Whats this?  Tony Shultz had been on the top rope when DJ Sick schoolboyed Simon, and he hits the Shooting Star Press on Jason Norcross to finish him off.  Shultz pins Jason for 1...2...3!  DJ Sick and Tony Shultz roll Jason out of the ring, and get back to wrestling each other.  DJ Sick takes his jersey off!  DJ Sick tries to choke Tony with it, but Tony manages to get loose and jumps on the first rope, turns around in the air, and HITS A HURRICANRANA!  Tony picks DJ Sick up for the Jackhammer, which sets up the shooting star press.  But DJ Sick puts his knees up!  DJ Sick gets on to pin, but only gets a two count.  Tony gets up and DJ Sick tries to spear him, but out of desperation Tony hits a SUPERKICK!  Tony lands on top of DJ Sick, and the referee makes the count...1...2...3!  Tony Shultz has pinned DJ Sick to become the first ever GAWA Champion!

54% (33, 75)

Bruno checks on the two, and Tony Shultz gets up and tells Bruno to get out of the ring, he has something to say.

Tony:  Hey fatboy...yeah, you who has talking to me earlier.  *Heavy breathing* This...DJ Sick...in the ring...unconscious...that represents you if you keep talkin'.  (Bruno puts the strap around Tony Shultz' waist)  You bet against me?  If any of you fans think you have something to say, then next month, I'm issuing an open challenge to any one of you redneck rejects.  (By now, the four fans are up and leaving.)  Hey!  You don't walk out on me!  Don't walk out on meeeeee....

Shultz leaves the ring once the fans are gone, and the show is over.

Guest reversefigure4

Well, that was one hell of an improvement. The matches are solid and interesting, the characters all got a good bit of time and development.

Particularly Christian Jiminez, that's a really well done foreigner speaking style in his promos.

I shall keep my eye on GAWA.

• 2 weeks later...