The 2005/2006 Hockey Season Thread

Clawson

Buffalo keeps within 3 of Ottawa after winning tonight. Vanek is looking pretty good now after a very slow start. One game left till the Olympic break. Carolina on the road. Should be a good game. That race for 8th in the east should be interesting the rest of the way. IMO there is only 3 teams fighting for it. Toronto, Boston and Montreal. Possibly Atlanta, hard to say with them. Their last 2 games have been good but then you look at the game against the Leafs and wonder how they are even close to a playoff spot. The thing the fans of those teams have to worry about is that they will be fighting so hard for that last playoff spot, that which ever one gets it will have no gas left for the playoffs.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Grapehead

haha, that was pretty funny. I especially liked the part where he was asking Alfy if he lost any of his strength from cutting his hair. 22 minutes has gone down hill since most of the original cast left, but Shawn Majaindsklnsl is still pretty funny.

The Leafs just signed Kaberle to a 5 year deal for 4.25 a year. Is it just me or is that the dumbest thing they could possibly do. He is now making more than both Chara and Redden, and is not in the same league as those two are. This is not me Leaf bashing, as I would make the same comment if the Sens did this, but I just don't understand why they would do this in the salary cap era. Eddie is going to retire and unless Telquvist is ready to be number one, they're going to need a new goalie. Not to mention the McCabe's contract is up, and they're obviously going to want him back, and he'll want more than Kaberle. What might seem like a good idea now in signing Kaberle, is going to put the Leafs in the same position they are now next season as they will be unable to go out and get another defenseman which they desperately need.

As far as the Sens go, they won a game by a single goal scoring under 4, something that they needed badly. However, I wouldn't call this win too significant as they beat Philly without Forsberg. I really hope they turn it around after the Olympics because we all know what they're capable of.

The Leafs just signed Kaberle to a 5 year deal for 4.25 a year. Is it just me or is that the dumbest thing they could possibly do. He is now making more than both Chara and Redden, and is not in the same league as those two are. This is not me Leaf bashing, as I would make the same comment if the Sens did this, but I just don't understand why they would do this in the salary cap era. Eddie is going to retire and unless Telquvist is ready to be number one, they're going to need a new goalie. Not to mention the McCabe's contract is up, and they're obviously going to want him back, and he'll want more than Kaberle. What might seem like a good idea now in signing Kaberle, is going to put the Leafs in the same position they are now next season as they will be unable to go out and get another defenseman which they desperately need.

As far as the Sens go, they won a game by a single goal scoring under 4, something that they needed badly. However, I wouldn't call this win too significant as they beat Philly without Forsberg. I really hope they turn it around after the Olympics because we all know what they're capable of.

Guest Grapehead

With loyalty to the team in mind, couldn't a guy try to work with the GM so that everyone could be signed? Didn't Brodeur opt for less $$ so they could resign Gionta and Lagenbrunner? That being said, I doubt Ottawa will manage to sign everyone you named CKN, but Redden, Chara, and Spezza are key. I wouldn't mind it too bad if Hasek, Emery and Havlat all didn't get new contracts, so long as those first three stick around.

Leafs re-signed Kaberle because he's the team's most versatile defenceman, also the only one who can skate and the only one who can carry the puck.

Also, Redden and Chara are up for renewals this year - they will be making more than Kaberle, or something very similar to. I still think the Leafs are totally fucked in regards to the cap for next season, but at least they'll have one of their best two defenceman there to help the squad.

Grapehead: If Emery and Hasek are let go, who is going to play in goal?

naiwf: The refs fucked the Leafs over in the first game, however I doubt they would've won anyway. The Rags outplayed them that night by a large margin. And last night, the Leafs only played the third period, along with bits of the other two. Taking penalties against the Rangers = bad thing to do. Someone needs to get this through the Leafs' heads.

Leafs re-signed Kaberle because he's the team's most versatile defenceman, also the only one who can skate and the only one who can carry the puck.

Also, Redden and Chara are up for renewals this year - they will be making more than Kaberle, or something very similar to. I still think the Leafs are totally fucked in regards to the cap for next season, but at least they'll have one of their best two defenceman there to help the squad.

naiwf: The refs fucked the Leafs over in the first game, however I doubt they would've won anyway. The Rags outplayed them that night by a large margin. And last night, the Leafs only played the third period, along with bits of the other two. Taking penalties against the Rangers = bad thing to do. Someone needs to get this through the Leafs' heads.

I meant them specifically, as in they'd probably sign someone else... meaning I think Redden, Chara, and Spezza are way more key members of the team than Havlat, Hasek or Emery.

Here is something concerning Havlat possibly.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

The Senators may have failed to in their attempts to land Florida Panthers captain Olli Jokinen before NHL's Olympic roster freeze, but the Ottawa Sun claims the team is hot on his trail.

Citing a source, the Sun reports both teams agreed there would be more discussions closer to the NHL's March 9 trade deadline because Florida isn't willing to make a move just yet.

It is believed that the Senators would have to give up their first-round pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft in a package for Jokinen that might also have to include injured winger Martin Havlat.

The Senators would like to add more depth at center sooner rather than later to take some of the pressure off Jason Spezza.

The Panthers are still trying to lock up Jokinen to a long-term deal, however after he turned down their latest offer (4-years, $16 million), it's unlikely a deal will be reached before the end of the season.

Guest Grapehead

Would this push Spezza back to line two? They don't really have any other flashy wingers for him to dish to on the second line. I have mixed feelings towards this idea, but I'm sure Muckler will make a good move for the team, since I haven't really seen him make a bad one.

Well, too bad. The Panthers don't have quality guys like the Sens do (even though if they have a lack of depth anywhere it's up front) and when you have guys like washed up Joe Niewnendyk and perenially injured Gary Roberts and then Martin Gelinas getting top line minutes, your team fucking sucks.

Jokinen is not the best center on the Panthers, but he is the Captain and is thus given top line time. He'd have to realize, though, that Jason Spezza is the future of the Sens, and he's not going to be a top line player, if he were to come over.

Guest Grapehead

Well despite being treated as the Panthers saviour, he still won't resign with them, so it leads me to believe he has an attitude, which the Sens don't need after dealing Hossa(Who didn't so much have an attitude, as he just wanted more money than the Sens were going to give him).

Be careful now, Grapehead. That last statement brought back memories of your early asshatery.

Jokinen was never Florida's saviour. How you culled that, I dunno. When Jokinen came to Florida he managed to put up a staggering 16 points in 78 games. To put that in perspective, the leader scorer on his team, Pavel Bure, put up 92 points. He was outscored by Bure, hall of famer Viktor Kozlov, Ray Whitney, Vaclav Prospal, Kevyn Adams! He was outscored by Kevyn Fucking Adams! He was outscored by Anders Eriksson, Rob Niedermayer, Bret Hedican, fuck, even Peter Worrell managed ten points that year. Since he arrived Florida went on the decline with no real future after they traded Jovanovski for Bure, and Bure began to break down. Moreover, he has never been a dynamic, break open the game type of player. His top season, points wise, was 65 in 2002-2003, the same year Forsberg netted 106, Naslund picked up 104, Thorton added 101, Hejduk 98, Bertuzzi 97... he wasn't in the top ten. Nowhere near first. If you want a saviour of Florida, you nee to look at Jay Bouwmeester. At Nathan Horton. Rostislav Olesz. Anthony Stewart. Luongo... not Olli fucking Jokinen.

And Hossa has a far bigger attitude then Jokinen. Clearly. Not so much what he was asking for in terms of money but how he was asking for it. He's also not put up outstanding numbers... good, but not elite level numbers, for the money. He's been streaky. He's being outscored by Marc Savard! He's not on pace with Ovechkin, and Ovechkin is earning about 1/10th of his salary despite being miles ahead of everyone else on his team. Hossa is overpaid and he has a gigantic mouth. As for Jokinen, he doesn't want to play for Florida... can you blame him? They're not going to make the playoffs, and with Keenan there, they aren't going to grow as an orrganization any time soon. It's a sinking ship. Why WOULD he want to resign?

As far as Jokinen goes, there is no way he's better than Spezza. That being said, he is still a great player and I'd be happy to have him as an ottawa Senator. I hope however that they can make the trade without having to give up Havlat even though it's doubtfull. And any hockey player would much rather be a second or third line player for a cup contender than a first liner for a team that won't make the playoffs. As far as Hossa goes, I have to disagree with you Sean. Yes, he wanted more money than he's worth, but to say that he has a horrible attitude is wrong. From the many games that I've seen Hossa play he always gave it his all on the ice and put up great numbers while doing it. If this guy was sent back to Ottawa today (whithout having to give up Heatley ofcourse) would be welcomed back to the city with open arms. Keep in mind, the people of Ottawa have the bar set pretty high when it comes to bad attitudes thanks to Yashin.