The 2005/2006 Hockey Season Thread

Clawson

The problem is that your shit streaks caused more harm than your hot streaks could achieve. I have to admit though, they have been playing some fantastic hockey as of late, but they just dug themself such a huge hole and couldn't clime out of it. If they start next year the way that they finished this one then they will have a great season....as long as they don't decend in to mediocrity.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clawson I actually agree with you on not wanting to see ottawa play montreal. I really don't care much for either team. Ottawa is in but montreal isn't yet. If they lose their last game in regulation and both Tampa and Atlanta win out they will miss the playoffs. The Canadians play the Devils in their last game. I was hoping todays Buffalo/Leaf would actually mean something but now that the Leafs are out and Buffalo has clinched fourth the game means nothing to either team. The only thing I really worry about now is that since its a meaningless game that Buffalo will go after Tucker now. Buffalo could always dress Andrew Peters to go after him since if they lose him its no big loss for the playoffs.

I don't really see Buffalo going after Tucker as they have too much to lose, I do however see Tucker going after Briere for his comments after the last game. Tucker really has nothing to lose in this scenario so this should get very interesting. As far as the Leafs go, I said all throughout last year that they would not make the playoffs once the lockout ends, next year I think is a different story as long as they make some smart management decisions, specifically not bringing back Lindross. What the Leafs should do in the offseason is get rid of a lot of their old players, with the exception of Mats. Hopefully for you guys Berg does decide to retie as there are very few teams who want him in a trade. Domi should also retire as he has become pretty much useless since he rarely drops the gloves now, which was his main use. Keep Belak, but only as a fourth line forward. Sign McCabe if his price is low enough. Hit the free agent market hard, if the opportunity arrises, pick up Bertuzzi because he may just need a changed of scenery. Finally, the goaltending scenario. Try and make a trade for Matin Biron. This guy is a back up who could be a legit starter. A Biron/Aubin combo would be great for the Leafs, whether or not it will actually happen, I have no idea, but it is their best option. If these actions occur then there is no way that the Leafs will miss the playoffs next year. However, if they continue to just sign has beens like Lindross then they will face another season of mediocrity.

Honestly if we can get Lindros for 1.5 million again I would probably go for it. It's not his fault he bummed out his wrist (well in a way it is) and he admittedly carried the team when Mats went down until Mats came back and he floated until he was put on Mats line and did well then got injured.

So ya, look into keeping Eric I say, tell Domi and Berg to fuck off and never ever put Belak on forward. Ever, he's developed into an adequate defensemen and if we have to use him somewhere use him there.

And fuck Bertuzzi, it was the slow bastards who killed us this year.

Final note, if Fergie doesn't re-sign Kilger I'm hanging him.

Edited by Clawson

Although Allison played well, I don't think either him or Lindros should be resigned. Lindro because he didn't play that well when healthy (he did have moments though) and Allison because I heard he was not a good guy in the locker room (rumoured).

With the money Toronto saves from that and not signing Belfour (even though we still will pay him $1.5 million or something) we can go out and get a goaltender, and maybe a young forward. I heard that Brad Richards, even as a RFA, could be tempted to come to Toronto. That would be great, and the cost would probably be draft picks. I think Richards would be worth that. Chara is another UFA, but I doubt Ottawa will be letting him go. He is a dominating defenceman, capable of offense while showing Scott Stevens like streaks in his game as well. If Toronto SOMEHOW got Chara, I would cry a single man tear of joy.

Toronto this season, besides some injury problems, just did not have depth, especially on defence. I like Wade Belak, but seriously. Belak and Berg are not too great. Khavanov blew the goat. Really, only McCabe, Kaberle and Klee (until he left) carried the defence. Next year should be better. The younger defencemen got tons of ice time and all of them showed talent, from Ian White to Kronwall to Colaiacovo. We showed that we have some forward depth as well, despite our poor draft record. And Ponikarovsky and Antropov (to a lesser degree) really played well.

I think Toronto, in the end, did the right thing in not rebuilding like a lot of people said. From the results of this season, it looks to me like we don't need to rebuild, just to modify what we have.

The Peters golf swing was fucking hillarious. That was awesome.

I have questions for EVERYONE!

Who are you most surprised made it into the playoffs (now that only Atlanta is competing for a spot still)?

Which team that didn't make it should have?

Who do you think will win the Stanley Cup?

If we're going by the whole season for the first two:

1. Rangers

2. Leafs :(

3. Red Wings

Cheering for the Oil though and if they don't pull through then the Sharks.

EDIT: And on Peters golf swing my friend who is an avid golfer (and a Canucks fan) couldn't help but comment on his perfect form. That made the whole thing worthwhile.

Edited by Clawson

1. I am most suprised that Nashville made it. They were 8th last year and lost in the first year, and I thought they were carried on the back of Tomas Vokoun. I could never imagine that by adding Paul Kariya, that the team would play that strong. Now I can't joke about them.

2. While the Leafs losing is a personal bummer, the outlook from the start wasn't too hot. Vancouver not making it, however, is still a mind-blower. Injuries make up a part of the equation with Cloutier and the defence core getting ruined. But I think that poor play by the top line in the last month or so was the death blow. Vancouver lost several close games where, if the top line had been producing, they would have won easily.

3. I am with Clawson. I'm not cheering for them, but it looks like Detroit will rock the west and most likely sip from the Cup again. Seriously, can anything hurt that team? Trading away draft picks? No problem, they find stars in the 2nd, 3rd, hell 7th round. Injury bug hit? The team is too deep to be bothered. Salary Cap comes around, and they still manage to keep the team intact. Detroit steamrolling the season is now a common thing, I have barely heard a peep about how they have gotten 122 points.

If it isn't Detroit, it's Ottawa (but I hope it isn't). If Hasek is healthy along with the rest of the team, then Ottawa really has a great shot. They have playoff experience, have played rough games. They can score and play defence. Heck, even without Hasek in net they are still solid, as Ray Emery has shown he is possibly the future starting goaltender.

I was so bummed by Toronto being eliminated that I forgot they had some games remaining.

Edited by desiredtoe

The Peters golf swing.....that got my nerves, :P but whatever, its not like he had experience going through the playoffs, I can't wait to see his ass kicked by the Devils/Rangers/Flyers if he's even on the ice. Oh, and they always say what comes around goes around so I'm not too worried about a nobody player :pervert:

Who are you most surprised made it into the playoffs (now that only Atlanta is competing for a spot still)?

Edmonton to tell you the truth

Which team that didn't make it should have?

I am tempted to say the Leafs, but maybe this is better for them, they can hopefully fix whats wrong, that is if they even try to shake things up, if anything we need a new GM, Fergueson's got to go, and he probably won't. As for Pat Quinn, I'm 50-50.

Who do you think will win the Stanley Cup?

Carolina Hurricanes. Although I would love to see Montreal or Edmonton to take it. Calgary would be nice. And what the hell, Sens were amazing this season, and if they do win the stanley cup, they didn't beat leafs for it, so I'm ok with that. :P

I just don't want the Sabres to win.

Edited by Laice06