Boxing Thread of Paaaaaain

New thread.

I watched Joe Calzaghe successfully defend his world title last night to remain the longest reigning world champion in any weight in boxing. 1997-2005.

He remains unbeaten too on 40-0 which is mega, and was lined up to fight some American to unite the Super Middleweight titles in November (Fireworks night - 5th)

The first two rounds against the Kenyan challenger were just brutal, Calzaghe showing why he's the number 1 rated Suppder Middleweight in the world, just taking him apart.

Until in the early 4th he smashed up his left hand, an ongoing problem, and had to box the 9 remaining rounds pretty much one handed. And still won EVERY ROUND according to the scorers....And his opponent was pretty well rated (and 24-1).

Calzaghe just showed amazing composure, professionalism and a great boxing mind.

Shame the November fight is gonna be off, but I'll be watching it when it gets re-arranged.

I watched most of the fight, but I was flicking between that, Match of the Day, NWA Wildside on TWC, and Federer vs. Hewitt, so I missed the hand injury.

Calzaghe is a great figher, but he isn't that well known in the states (or even in the UK, when compared to Khan, Hatton etc), which made the proposed unification match with Jeff Lacy even bigger for him. Still, I too hope to watch when it gets re-arranged, and I hope the hand isn't as serious as they thought.