Ted Williams' daughter drops fight for remains

sahyder1

Associated Press

INVERNESS, Fla. -- The daughter and son-in-law of Ted Williams signed a settlement Tuesday agreeing that they will no longer try to get the baseball icon's remains out of a cryonics lab in Arizona.

Bobby-Jo and Mark Ferrell also agreed to no longer object, or encourage others to object, to Williams' remains being cryonically preserved, Florida Today reported for Wednesday editions.

The Ferrells had been trying to get Williams' remains removed from the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Messages left by The Associated Press at the Ferrells' home, and with their attorney, were not returned Tuesday night.

Williams' estate sued the Ferrells on May 10 after they sued Alcor, demanding the company produce paperwork showing that Williams wanted his remains frozen at the facility.

After Tuesday's settlement, Al Cassidy, the executor of Williams' estate, agreed to drop his litigation.

"I can't afford any more fighting," Mark Ferrell said. "This has cost us about $100,000. I did what I thought I had to do. But I can't do any more."

Their ultimate goal had been to recover Williams' body for cremation, which they say were his last wishes.

"It's over, and it's over forever," said Peter Sutton, the attorney for Williams' estate. "The Ferrells have signed an agreement, and judges have very little tolerance if you violate injunctions."

Alcor stores human bodies and severed heads in vats of liquid nitrogen in the hope that someday science will be able to bring the dead to life.

Upon Williams' death in July 2002 in Florida, his 35-year-old son John Henry Williams had his father frozen at the Alcor facility.

The controversy sparked a family dispute between John Henry Williams and Ferrell and cast a national spotlight on the cryonics organization.

John Henry Williams died of leukemia in March and his body reportedly is also being stored at Alcor's Scottsdale facility.

This whole thing is such a shame.

its not like they are gonna get brought back either, i dont see the point of this either. Let him get his last request and be cremated.