The Shield To Get An Extended Season

Fitzy

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- In a surprising move by the cable channel, FX has ordered eight additional episodes of "The Shield's" fifth season - extending its run to 21 episodes.

It's not clear if the extra installments will run seamlessly from the initial 13 or if the network will split the season into two halves like other cable shows such as "Monk" on USA, "The Sopranos" on HBO or "Battlestar Galactica" on Sci Fi.

No specific reason was given for the extension. The fifth season is currently slated to bow in January.

Fox TV Studios and Sony Pictures Television are behind "The Shield," which comes from creator/executive producer Shawn Ryan.

Thats great news.

What would be better would be an PAL release of the third season on DVD (I didn't watch the series at first, so I'm watching it through the DVD releases) I didn't watch the 4th series over here, because I still hadn't seen the third, and now I'll get even further behind! Strike Team had just robbed the money train.....to everyone else that must be eons ago, but I wanna know what happened next damnit!

Anyway, moaning over. More Shield = Good.

Season 4 just finished tonight in the UK.

A superb ending to the season which wraps everything up and sets up a main part of next seasons storyline. That guy walking in staring at Mackey when they are at the party at the end? Heh, I loved that bit, it was a nice way to cast a shadow over the celebrations they were having.

I absolutely adore this show. The fact that next year there is going to be more of it than usual just makes me even happier. I just hope the writing is up to season 1/2/4 standards (S3 was a slump if you ask me) throughout. Theres a lot of avenues that the show can explore, it continues to suprise and interest me like no other show on TV today.