EAST WING: [ TYLER ] VS REFUX

[ Tyler ] versus Refux

Story: A record company has been searching for freelance designers to submit their ideas for the jewel case cover to one of their top bands latest CD releases. This does not include the back or spine-- only the front. Based on the design of the front, they will pick the top designs and ask the artists to submit the full design to them for the decision.

Basic Rules: Design the front jewel case cover for an upcoming album from a band, or if you can't find any that you like, your favorite album from a band. Only the front, though... we'll take baby steps for the first round.

Restrictions: Has to include the name of the band and the name of the album somewhere. Including the logo of the recording company is optional.

Size: 550x550

Deadline: Sunday, March 26th

[ TYLER]

-------------

Pros: I'm liking the balance here, very nice with the colors and the way everything seems in harmony with each other.

Cons: This seems more like a graphic then a jewel case cover-- there's nothing that really shows it being music at all. It could allude to something dark and forboding, but not to an actual band... more like Halloween music, or dark nature noises of some sort.

REFUX/THE MESSENJAH

-------------

Pros: Placement is nice, I'm loving the transition in the center-- it's quite balanced. The effects used on the crowd are really nice too.

Cons: That primary photo used for Disturbed is of poor quality. It's grainy around Draiman's face in spots, yet blurred as hell in others. Really hard to look at. Then, with the crowd, you can still see spots of the old orange background, primarily around the Disturbed figure's fist. Disturbed is a band known for intricacy with it's logos... and for a Disturbed album, you've not fit that with your logo design. That bevel makes it look cartoonish and, well, ugly. Here's where your balance ends-- you've got a blurred/grainy picture of the band, a cartoonish logo, and the drawings look smoother then said logo. Everything just sorta disrupts each other and falls short.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

[ Tyler ]'s had way too much empty space. I would have made a different Monty logo to go across the top, and fill in the blank area in the lower right hand corner with the 'Drunken Haze' logo. It's supposed to be the front to a Jewel Case cover, yet it looks more like a graphic.

Refux/The Messenjah's looks more like a cover in style, yet everything disrupts each other and generally just looks tacky and/or of poor quality. I mean, it has the fact that it better resembles an album cover pulling for it, but even to the casual eye... it's just not that appealing.

Neither really impressed me all that much, be it because of it's lack of relevance to the category or a drop in quality of the image. In the end, [ Tyler ] edges out Refux/Messenjah for the win. The reason? To the casual eye, the cover would stand out less negatively, and be easier to look at. While it wouldn't draw one's attention right away-- at least it wouldn't be drawing it in a bad way.

Edited by The Mask of Norro