EAST WING: ADRENALINEJUNKY VS TOFFEE CRISP

adrenalinejunky versus Toffee Crisp

Story: A record company has been searching for freelance designers to submit their ideas for the jewel case cover to one of their top bands latest CD releases. This does not include the back or spine-- only the front. Based on the design of the front, they will pick the top designs and ask the artists to submit the full design to them for the decision.

Basic Rules: Design the front jewel case cover for an upcoming album from a band, or if you can't find any that you like, your favorite album from a band. Only the front, though... we'll take baby steps for the first round.

Restrictions: Has to include the name of the band and the name of the album somewhere. Including the logo of the recording company is optional.

Size: 550x550

Deadline: Sunday, March 26th

ADRENALINEJUNKY

-------------

Pros: Where to begin? Your logo placement is superb, the quality of said logo is perfect for what you've done here, and it stands out really well. That chair and the effect you've used really brings it forward to the viewer's attention, yet not so drastically that it draws it in negatively. The shadow you've added for the chair really helps keep it balanced with the rest of the cover, too... making sure it doesn't pop out more then needed.

Cons: I would have liked to see the chair just a little bit more centered, as it slightly throws off the balance of the cover.

TOFFE CRISP

-------------

Pros: Once again... where to begin? I'm loving your background, it's not too drastic and doesn't draw too much attention to it, and it looks very professional. That central film-esque thing you've used to bring forward the pictures of the band looks pretty damn nice too. The 'Seclusion' font and the way you've faded it is perfect-- not too obscured, but not too apparent. Plus, it fits the name.

Cons: I don't know why, but your Aereogramme font being where it is and being as bold as it is really puts me off. I just feel like you could have done better then that, maybe made it a bit bigger and went with a blended font like you did with Seclusion. Also, with your film-thing on the right-hand side, I'd have liked to see it stretch across completely, as it cuts off pretty close to the edge, and also the cutting on it's left side is a bit choppy, in that there's a dip where the black-line edge of the photograph is visible and the upper and lower edges of the film continue out. That may have been intentional, though.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

adrenalinejunky's came out really nice-- exactly what I'd expect from a Limp Bizkit cover. It fits their style well, placement is almost perfect except for that chair, but it still works where it is. The logo and the chosen font work perfect, he made the chair look like it'd already been in the picture... just all around a great job.

Toffee Crisp's came out really nice as well-- in that he went with a more graphical response to the design yet kept it professional and crisp, something that really impressed me. That film line stretching across the center with the photos was a nice idea, but could have been executed better, and I think the Aereogramme font brought it down a bit as well.

I'll be honest with you two, this was a bitch to judge. I had some friends take a look at it so I could get ome casual perspectives on it though, and I continued to get the same response. Though I adore Toffee's graphically professional approach to it, the win goes to adrenalinejunky by a hair. His came off more to the style Limp Bizkit has used and thus fit it professionally, and the effort's he put forth also benefitted him graphically. When tested against casual viewers, everyone seemed to prefer AJ's... which, really, was the final push to have me decide he won.

The both of you did a great job with this, I have to say. Incredible works from the both of you, I was dreading having to judge this when you both got yours in, but there it is.

Thank you both for participating. AJ, congrats on the win... and Toffee, keep up the excellent work dude. I seriously want to see you back for the next one.