Mundine Versus Green *SPOILERS*

Ace

Mundine's victory lives up to the hype

Wednesday May 17 23:44 AEST

Anthony Mundine backed up the bravado and his moniker to prove he was "The Man" in Australian boxing on Wednesday night, winning a unanimous points decision over Danny Green in their WBA super middleweight eliminator at Aussie Stadium.

Mundine took the fight 118-112, 116-113 and 118-111 and has now earned a shot at reigning WBA champion Mikkel Kessler, who has already defeated him on points.

After all the pre-match hype, Mundine was ultimately gracious in victory.

"I just want to thank Danny for a great fight," he said.

"We can do it again maybe.

"It was a close fight last time (against Kessler). I think he's the best fighter out there, but I've shown I can match it with him. I'm ready."

A devastated Green could only dip his hat to Mundine.

"He just fought a better fight tonight," he said.

"I've no excuses. Anthony was just a better man tonight."

For pure boxing skill, the much-hyped event was expected to struggle to match Australian Barry Michaels' victory over compatriot Lester Ellis in 1985 and Jeff Fenech's epic tussle with Azumah Nelson in 1992.

But the fans got their money's worth in a bout in which Mundine was too quick and too sharp, showed plenty of punching power and had superior fitness overall.

There was little to separate the two fighters over the first four rounds, although Mundine spent plenty of time on the ropes looking for an opening.

Green was attempting plenty of combinations, but as anticipated in the lead-up, Mundine's speed caused him problems.

Both fighters lifted their work-rate from the sixth round onwards as their desperation increased in a fight that appeared destined to be decided on points.

Mundine did end up on the canvas in the seventh round, but it was after being pushed through the ropes by Green and "The Man" responded with a trademark smile.

The longer the fight progressed, the better Mundine performed to claim bragging rights in Australian boxing.

With celebrities such as former heavyweight champion Joe Frazier, under-fire Waratah Wendell Sailor, Lachlan Murdoch and Eddie McGuire watching on, Mundine proved his mettle in a fight which was anticipated since a slanging match began between the two six years ago.

Well, call me crazy, but I like Mundine. He's a smart guy. He gives fans somebody to hate and then rakes in the cash when they pay to see somebody try and kill him. I just found it funny that after years of Green talking about what he'd do to Mundine - he was made to look like a chump.

• 2 weeks later...