Legends of Wrestling

Official Preview of the LoW ‘Mid-Week Mayhem’ debut!

Tomorrow sees the debut of a new wrestling TV show, the Legends of Wrestling production, ‘Mid-Week Mayhem’ and what a way to kick things off on Comedy Central, than with the prospect of an All-Time World Heavyweight Championship match!

It has been rumoured that Sting, the official number one contender for the prestigious title, is has challenged the current champion, Goldberg, to put his title on the line tomorrow night, on the first ever ‘Mid-Week Mayhem’ broadcast. Will Sting announce the challenge on air? Will Goldberg accept?

Also, one half of the All-Time Tag Team champions, Scott Steiner, will face off against Vader. Furthermore, Sid Vicious, Scott Hall and Diamond Dallas Page will participate in a triple-threat contest.

Be sure to tune in for what promises to be an historic night in the wrestling industry, as LoW make their debut on TV.

Don’t forget to tune in at midnight to see all the action live!

Confirmed Matches:

· Diamond Dallas Page vs Scott Hall vs Sid Vicious

· Scott Steiner vs Vader

Source: www.LoW.com

LoW presents ‘Mid-Week Mayhem’, live on Comedy Central

The opening video package plays, highlighting such superstars as Goldberg, Sting, Vader, Sid Vicious, The Outsiders, the Steiners and DDP. The package is accompanied by some generic rock music, and finishes on a dark black LoW logo, set against a red background.

The camera now shows the arena, where screaming fans are reacting to an impressive pyro display, that takes place on a generic stage, with just a big screen and a ramp that leads all the way to the ring without dipping. The pyro stops, and the camera pans the crowd, before the voices of Mike Tenay and Bobby Heenan are heard, and the camera eventually switches to show the two announcers at their table, next to the ring.

Mike Tenay: Hello everyone, and welcome to the first ever broadcast of LoW’s ‘Mid-Week Mayhem’, live on Comedy Central. I’m your lead announcer, Mike ‘The Professor’ Tenay, and I’m accompanied by the living legend that is Bobby ‘The Brain’ Heenan, and Bobby, what a night we have in store for all the viewers at home!

Bobby Heenan: First things first, thank you Mike for yet another fitting introduction. Yes I am Bobby ‘The Brain’ Heenan, and tonight, LoW is going to give the wrestling world such a jolt, that even Zeus himself would struggle to cope.

The Rumours are true…and we have the main event

The camera cuts to show the stage, where some crow-like music has hit the speakers in the arena, and the fans pop huge as they realise that the number 1 Contender for the All-Time World Heavyweight Championship, Sting, is making his way to the ring. The Stinger stops on the stage, applauding the fans for their reaction, before walking to the squared circle. He rolls into the ring, plays to the crowd for a bit, and he then accepts the offer of a microphone from Howard Finkel. The crowd eventually goes silent as Sting starts to speak.

Sting: Last Sunday, I overcame the giant that is Vader to become the Number One Contender for the All-Time World Heavyweight Championship. Now, I know that, since that victory, rumours have been flying around the net, saying how I had officially challenged Bill Goldberg to a match, tonight, for the World Title. Now, the truth of the matter is this…I have officially challenged Goldberg, and I’m still awaiting his response. So, Goldberg, why don’t you come down to the ring, right now, and give our fans an answer to my challenge, and please give them the answer that they want to hear…

Sting lowers the microphone, and he awaits Goldberg. The crowd start a ‘Goldberg’ chant and, in due course, Goldberg’s music hits the speakers, and the All-Time World Heavyweight Champion stomps his way to the ring. He jumps into the ring, title belt wrapped tightly around his waist, and he takes the microphone from Sting.

Goldberg: Sting, you and I go back along way. When I was just making my way into this business, as an ex-footballer desperately trying to pursue a career in this industry, you were already an established name, an established legend in this business. You were virtually untouchable. Now, when I beat you about two months ago, in a steel cage, when your leg was virtually hanging loosely of it’s limb, I was ecstatic. I’d just become the greatest heavyweight wrestler of all time, and when you look at the names that are part of that list, it is an incredible achievement. However, something bugged me. Something, at the back of my mind, kept nagging at me. I couldn’t get over the fact that you had been half-decapitated earlier in the night before our match. I felt that I had a point to prove, not only to myself, but to all these fans that pay their hard-earned money to see me…us…in action. I felt, that I had to prove that I could beat you, in near peak condition. So, naturally, after overcoming The Ultimate Warrior last Sunday night, I was delighted to hear that you’d challenged me, and if you hadn’t guessed by now, my answer to your challenge is yes, Sting…it would be an honour to defend my All-Time World Heavyweight Title, against you, on the first ever edition of LoW Mid-Week Mayhem! So, the question has to be asked…WHO’S NEXT?…YOU’RE NEXT, STING!!!

The fans pop massively at the announcement of the main event, and the two competitors shake hands, before Goldberg turns and leaves the ring, and Sting follows shortly after, and the camera cuts back to the announcers. (A*)

Road Agent Notes: This segment lifted the crowd. Goldberg is developing better performance skills.

Tenay: What a show of respect between our two top superstars! And what a main event to kick off LoW Mid-Week Mayhem on Comedy Central, Sting vs Goldberg for the All-Time World Heavyweight Championship!

Heenan: Even though I was nearly sick with all the respect that was going on in that ring, Tenay, I’m excited about that main event. It promises to be a classic!

Commercial Break

1st Match: Kurrgan vs Marty Jannetty

Jannetty enters first, and he gets a mediocre reaction from the crowd upon his low-key debut. Kurrgan enters, with Pringle in tow, to minimal reaction. However, Kurrgan’s long, Taker-like, gothic entrance seems to last longer than the actual match, as Kurrgan squashes Jannetty in under a minute, completely no-selling some basic Jannetty offence, before viciously powerslamming Marty, and finishing him with a Chokeslam.

Winner: Kurrgan via pinfall. (C-)

Road Agent Notes: The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. This match suffered as it came across as a let-down after the previous segment. This match benefitted greatly from a hot crowd. This match brought the crowd's mood down.

Pringle holds a grudge

After the bell, Kurrgan poses for the crowd, and Pringle slaps Jannetty a couple of times, drawing some decent heat from the crowd, before clambering into the ring and snatching the microphone from Howard Finkel. The crowd boos as Pringle begins to speak.

Percy Pringle: Jannetty is the first of many, many victims of the 7ft monster that is…Kurrgan! (Crowd boos as Pringle points at Kurrgan, who roars at the crowd). Sabuuuuuuuuuuuuu…you got a taste of what Kurrgan can do last Sunday…in fact, why don’t we remind ourselves of that – destruction! (The footage is played, showing Kurrgan’s beat down of Sabu after their tag match at ‘Summer of Heroes’. Pringle squealing in glee can be heard whilst the footage is being played. The crowd boo as Pringle applauds Kurrgan). Now, Sabuuuuuuuuuuu, don’t think that we’re gonna’ stop there…(Pringle turns and smiles at Kurrgan before squealing again)…you will regret that you ever set eyes, not only on me, but on the man who is going to destroy you, very, very soon, Sabu…Kurrrrrrrrrrrrgan!!!

Kurrgan and Pringle draw some mild heat as they leave the ring, and the camera cuts back to the announcers’ table. (B)

Tenay: Kurrgan made light work of Marty Jannetty there, Bobby, and the big man looks unstoppable at the moment in LoW!

Heenan: Agreed, Mike Tenay, and it’s obvious that that squealing, overweight fat thing that follows him around can hold a grudge…he’s still mad at Sabu for turning on him two months ago!

Cornette (and his momma’) have plans…big, huge plans

The camera cuts to a locker room backstage, and we are shown a conversation between Vader and Jim Cornette. The conversation is part of the way through when the audience hears what is being said.

Cornette…and with that, yet another brilliant idea that my momma’ told me…after tonight, you will become the top dawg! The ultimate superstar in this company! The All-Time greatest! After tonight, if you do what I say, it truly will be Vader time! Now, get ready, because you’re up next, against Steiner.

Cornette leaves the room, and Vader beats his head, shouting at no-one in particular. (B)

Commercial Break

2nd Match: Scott Steiner vs Vader

Steiner enters first, without his brother, and Vader also enters the arena, minus his associate. Both men take the fight to each other, never letting the other have any time to recover. After trading a varied mixture of brutal, powerful manoeuvres, Vader seems to take control during the middle part of the match, viciously hitting Steiner with a mixture of body slams, power slams and straight rights. However, Steiner avoids a Vader corner splash, and he uses this to his advantage, hitting the bigger man with multiple belly-to-belly suplexes, as well as a german suplex. However, this last suplex sends Vader crashing into the referee, but Steiner continues his assault regardless. Scott puts Vader into the Steiner Recliner, and he makes his opponent tap, but the referee isn’t able to see the submission. Steiner, frustrated, goes to the outside and takes the timekeeper’s chair. He rolls back into the ring, where an on-rushing Jim Cornette, who attempts to hit Steiner with a tennis racket, meets him. However, Scott just swots the racket out of Jim’s hands with the chair, and Cornette recoils in fear. Steiner is about to hit the LoW commissioner with the chair when Vader attacks him from behind. Cornette orders Vader to finish Steiner off, but before the big man can, Rick Steiner runs down, and he picks up the chair. Rick swings the chair at Vader, who ducks, and the chair connects with the recently arisen Scott Steiner! Vader tosses Rick out of the ring, before dragging Scott to the corner, hitting the Vader Bomb, and winning the match.

Winner: Vader via pinfall (B)

Road Agent Notes: Scott Steiner was visibly tiring toward the end. The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost.

Commercial Break

Dissention in the ranks

We come back from commercial to see Scott Steiner furiously pacing backstage, obviously waiting for someone. After a brief moment, Scott stops pacing, and the camera pans away to show Rick Steiner, standing a few feet away from his brother, staring. Scott sharply walks over to his brother, and gets in his face.

Scott Steiner: WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU DOING!!! I HAD THAT MATCH WON!!! WHAT THE F*@k WERE YOU THINKING!!!

Rick Steiner: Woah, man, I’m sorry. I saw you outnumbered by that slimy Cornette and that fat F*@#ker Vader, and I thought that I’d give you some help. I’m really sorry, bro.

Scott: You’re sorry…YOU’RE FU@#IN’ SORRY!!! I BET YOU’RE FU@#IN’ SORRY!!! GET YOUR BLOODY ACT TOGETHER, OR I’LL DO IF FOR YOU!!!

Before Rick can reply, Scott storms off, leaving Rick looking dejected. (C+)

Road Agent Notes: This segment suffered as it came across as a let-down after the previous segment. This segment benefitted greatly from a hot crowd.

Tenay: Looks like there’s some dissention between our tag team champions, Brain. Scott Steiner was livid with his brother, when he was only trying to help!

Heenan: What rubbish are you spoutin’ out your trap, Tenay? Wouldn’t you be upset if you were cost the match, by anyone, let alone your own brother, when you had the contest won? I certainly would…I don’t blame Scott one bit. Rick’s got to get his house in order.

3rd Match: Terry Funk and Sabu w/Bill Alfonso vs Bam Bam Bigelow and Lex Luger

Funk, Sabu and Alfonso entered first, to a big reaction from the crowd. After Bigelow’s entrance, there was pause, as the crowd did not know who was going to partner him in this match. However, some familiar sounding music is heard, and the ‘Total Package’ Lex Luger makes his way to the ring, to a mild reaction. The surprise partner dominates the match from start to finish, tossing the smaller Sabu around “like a rag doll”. Funk didn’t escape punishment, as he suffered at the hands of the ‘Total Package’ and, as Bigelow had Sabu occupied on the outside, Luger locked in the Torture Rack on Funk, and the Hardcore living legend regrettably submitted to the submission hold, giving Luger an impressive debut win.

Winners: Lex Luger and Bam Bam Bigelow via submission (C+)

Road Agent Notes: Bill Alfonso did some good work at ringside. The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. Lex Luger is improving in Rumble skills.

Respect can’t be split three ways

The camera cuts away from the ring, and it focuses backstage, where Scott Hall and Kevin Nash are swaggering their way to the curtain, ready for the next match. They stop, however, when Sid Vicious appears, and he stares down the Outsiders, who seem apprehensive to confront him. Sid breathes heavily as Nash gets in his face, and Hall manages to pull his partner away. However, just as the situation cools down, Diamond Dallas Page appears, and he squares up to Hall. All four men stare down, as the crowd goes nuts in anticipation. However, to their obvious disappointment, the four men go their separate ways. (B)

4th Match: Diamond Dallas Page vs Sid Vicious vs Scott Hall w/Kevin Nash

This was a match full of clichés, but these formulas combined to give the crowd a decent free-TV spectacle. Sid held an obvious advantage over the other competitors due to his massive size advantage, but Hall was the one who seemed to dominate the early going, as Kevin Nash kept on poking his nose in the match, always turning the tide in favour of his good friend, either by tripping an opponent up, or by lowering the ropes, or by distracting the referee when it was advantageous to Hall. However, the referee eventually caught Nash’s interference, and he sent him to the back, making the match a much more level playing field. Sid dominated from this point onwards, stopping any momentum that the other two wrestlers started to build by using vicious power moves, like stiff clotheslines, big boots and tough slams. DDP was the underdog face all match, and he nearly had the match won, when he hit Hall with the Diamond Cutter. However, Sid muscled DDP out of the way, and he hit Page with a ferocious powerbomb, and he covered DDP’s broken body to win the match.

Winner: Sid Vicious via pinfall. (B)

Road Agent Notes: The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost.

The Stinger’s on hype duty

The camera cuts away from the ring, and goes to the backstage area, where Mean Gene Okerlund is waiting with Sting.

Mean Gene: I’m here with the man who’s going to face Goldberg, next, for the All-Time World Heavyweight Championship. Now, Stinger, we’ve stood in this place before, with a very similar situation before us. What’s different tonight, from two months ago?

Sting: Mean Gene, there is plenty that is different, tonight, from that fateful night of two months ago. That night, I was battered, bruised, and knackered beyond belief. My leg was virtually dead, I was bleeding from the head, and I was walking into a steel cage against one of the premier wrestlers of our generation. Tonight…I’m virtually fully fit. Tonight, I’m not bleeding, my leg is in near full working order, and there is no steel cage awaiting me in that ring. However, there are similarities…I’m still gonna’ go out there and put my body on the line. I’m still gonna’ go out there and give these fans the ride of their life. And I’m still going out there to face one of the premier wrestlers of this generation…Goldberg. But, you know Mean Gene, and I know, and all of these brilliant fans know, that tonight is a night like no other. Tonight, there is something different from two months ago. Tonight, there is something different in the air. Because, tonight, me and Bill Goldberg are going to tear the house down…and I’m gonna’ walk out the new All-Time World Heavyweight Champion! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!! It’s Showtime folks! (B+)

Road Agent Notes: This segment lifted the crowd.

The camera returns to the show the announcers.

Tenay: Sting seems ready for tonight, Brain, and he promises to tear the house down for all of these fans!

Heenan: I’ve been looking forward to this match all night, Mike Tenay, and Sting’s interview just then has got me even more excited. Bring it on!

The hype machine is in full force

A hype video is played, showing the recent history between Goldberg and Sting, highlighting their cage match at ‘History in the Making’, as well as their respective matches at ‘Summer of Heroes’. (A*)

Road Agent Notes: This segment lifted the crowd.

Main Event: Sting vs =O= Goldberg for the All-Time World Heavyweight Championship

Both men got rousing receptions from the crowd, and this buzz from the audience didn’t die down at all over the course of this match, and the two leading superstars in the company played on this crowd reaction, never letting the match slow down below what would be called a fast pace. Goldberg and Sting traded move after move, suplex for suplex, DDT for DDT, punch for punch, never allowing the other a chance to rest and recuperate. Many near finishes littered the match, with Goldberg kicking out of a superplex and a Scorpion Death Drop, whilst Sting managed to kick out of a spear and a reverse swinging neckbreaker. A very impressive contest ended disappointingly when Sting countered a spear attempt from Goldberg by using Goldberg’s momentum and sending him through the second rope, and taking a sick bump by crashing into the barricades at ringside. Sting is about to follow the Champ out of the ring, when Vader runs into the ring and attacks him from behind, giving the referee no choice but to call for the bell, and to give Sting the DQ victory.

Winner: Sting via Disqualification (A)

Road Agent Notes: Sting and Goldberg don't seem to click, and it made for an awkward bout. This match benefitted greatly from a hot crowd. This match lifted the crowd.

Tenay: What is Vader doing, interrupting a great match for our top Championship! How despicable! Did Cornette put him up to this? Is this what he was talking about earlier?

Heenan: Calm down there, Tenay, don’t be so quick to blame Jim Cornette. Vader is capable of acting on his own, without Jim telling him what to do.

Tenay seems to be proved right, however, as Jim Cornette does appear on the stage, applauding Vader’s continued beat down of Sting. Goldberg groggily crawls into the ring, blood pouring down his face like a fountain, but his offence is in vain, as Vader nearly takes his head off with a vicious clothesline. Cornette then steals the belt from the timekeeper, and he hands it to his client, and the first episode of LoW Mid-Week Mayhem finishes on the image of Vader, standing above the fallen bodies of Goldberg and Sting, holding the former’s All-Time World Heavyweight Championship above his head, drawing some serious heat from the crowd.

Overall: B

Road Agent Notes: This show can be considered a success, it should have increased our popularity.

www.WrestlingRumours.net

Reaction from after the first LoW Mid-Week Mayhem, more LoW news

· Reports are that the debut of LoW ‘Mid-Week Mayhem’ got a 0.1 rating, pulling in 185,233 viewers. LoW officials are said to be happy with this rating, taking into account the very late/early start.

· However, LoW officials are said to be fearing the affect of regular TV shows on their finances, as it has been rumoured that the promotion suffered a slight loss with regards to wages/show costs against ticket revenue. Time will tell whether the fledgling company can survive the financial demands of a TV show.

· LoW approaches to certain superstars are said to have been turned down. Raven, Alex Shelley, Christian Cage, Monty Brown, Jeff Jarrett and Petey Williams are all believed to have rejected LoW contract offers, due to mounting commitments to other promotions elsewhere. Also, LoW are said to have cancelled contract negotiations with Matt Lomanica, Devon Hughes and Matt Hyson (formerly Buh Buh, D-Von and Spike Dudley respectively) due to wage demands being too high.

· However, all of these rejections look less significant when compared to the signings made. Matt Striker, Kip James, BG James, Matt Bentley, Jeff Hardy, Don Harris, James Storm, Chris Harris, Ron Harris and Sonny Siaki and Kid Kash have all been signed. Word is that LoW management want to fill the roster with younger stars so as to be set for the future with regards to talent.

• 8 months later...