The Detroit Fucking Tigers

MDP

First off, I want to say I've jumped on the Tiger bandwagon. They're ahead by 8 1/2 games last I checked and show no sign of slowing down. The young pitching and great hitting of veterans and rookies alike, have led them to the best record in the entire league. But who really deserves the credit. Last year, most of the same players, and they had a dismal 71-91 season.

So who can the credit be given to? New Head Coach Jim Leyland? New pitching acquisitions like Rookie Justin Verlander (13-4) and Kenny Rogers (11-4) and pitching turn-a-round Jeremy Bonderman (11-4) after going 6-19 just two seasons ago? Or a healthy Magglio Ordonez? Whatever it is for the Tigers, it seems to be working. Detroit Tigers 2006 dream season? Or Dynasty?

Guest Bosstown Boy

The Tigers are having a magic season as well as benefiting from the talents of an excellent coach. Leyland came in, which, in my mind, made them a .500 baseball team. On top of that, they have had outstanding seasons from players that weren't supposed to contribute as much as they have. Verlander and Bonderman are perfect examples, as well as the offense. The Tigers will be around for a while, but certainly not as good as they have been this season.

I respect Leyland, but he's getting way too much credit. Alan Trammell had this team ready to turn around and they started it last year. He built the team along with Dave Dombrowski and has put in a lot of time on the developmental side with Gibson that goes un-credited. Had Trammell not been given the shaft, I think the team would still be in a similar position this year.

How can you say Bonderman and Verlander weren't supposed to contribute as much? At the end of last year, Bonderman was being considered one of the best young pitchers in baseball. And Verlander was the #2 overall pick in 2004, he came with a lot of expectations, though I will say I didn't expect him to fulfill those until next year.

And as a lifelong Tigers fan, I was there for the 84' ALCS against the Royals...yes, the Royals...I couldn't be any happier to see them finally having success. I still miss Tiger Stadium though.

The 84 series was one year before my birth, but I've been a Tigers fan for as long as I can remember. After more than a decade of futility it's to see that Detroit has somebody other than the Pistons or Wings. Detroit's a great sports city with loyal fans (just ask the Lions) and definitely deserve this magical season.

One thing that has helped this year is the great defense on top of the great pitching. Of course yesterday was a fucking collapse, it shouldn't taint what has been great defense from guys like Guillen, Inge, and Polanco.

I respect Leyland, but he's getting way too much credit. Alan Trammell had this team ready to turn around and they started it last year. He built the team along with Dave Dombrowski and has put in a lot of time on the developmental side with Gibson that goes un-credited. Had Trammell not been given the shaft, I think the team would still be in a similar position this year.

How can you say Bonderman and Verlander weren't supposed to contribute as much? At the end of last year, Bonderman was being considered one of the best young pitchers in baseball. And Verlander was the #2 overall pick in 2004, he came with a lot of expectations, though I will say I didn't expect him to fulfill those until next year.

And as a lifelong Tigers fan, I was there for the 84' ALCS against the Royals...yes, the Royals...I couldn't be any happier to see them finally having success. I still miss Tiger Stadium though.

I never said that, but at the end of last year I believe Bonderman was 11-13. I never said Verlander wouldn't contribute, I was simply saying that the Tigers brought him up from the minors and put him in the rotation. Hence why I said new pitching acquisitions Rogers and Verlander.