NHL Eastside Hockey Manager 2007

CKN

I sent it last night. Love me already!!

Only took you a goddamn day and a half.

All that stuff I said about how much the Leafs rock? I meant it.

Nah, just kidding, much love.

Guest Grapehead

I'm having a harder time playing as the PEI Rocket than I ever had with NHL teams. Despite being 2nd in the East right now, I'm falling on hard times. I'm 3-4-3 in my last 10, Derrick Brassard and Ondrej Pavelec are off on international teams, Madsen just returned from that, Welsh and Gragnani are injured for awhile to come. That's basically my starting lineup minus one defenseman, so between trying to keep only 2 foreign players, 3 overaged players, and balancing your roster to adapt to when players leave for international play... this is hard.

OK, cool. So i'm Colorado (There's other teams??) We were knocked out in 7 by the ducks in ...03/04 - but picked up some talent from a boneheaded Atlanta GM. That talent goes by the names Ilya Kovulchuk and Kari Lehtonen.

04/05 we won the cup and Lehtonen scooped himself the Vezina. Huzzah!

05/06 we had a lot of good players lost to waiver draft. In particular I was most upset to lose Cristobal Huet. (my third stringer) The coup of the offseason was Forsberg and Selanne refusing to resign, so I dealt them to Chicago for Ovechkin and a second round pick. Forsberg wouldn't sign with Chicago either and was promptly scooped up by yours truly on Free Agency.

Players In: Ovechkin, 2nd Round Pick. Players Out: Selanne.

Early in the season I stocked up on old washed up defensemen (McGillis and Stevens examples) and traded them and Aebischer for Crosby and Stajan and a pick.

So at the moment my team is:

Kovulchuk - Forsberg - Kovalev

Ovechkin - Crosby - Hejduk

Tanguay - Sakic - Kariya

Stajan - Langkow - Primeau (Keith)

Bouwmeester - Kubina

Liles - Zidlicky

Blake - Foote

Lehtonen - Boucher

we're 29-7-4-2, eight points clear of Edmonton in the division, and fifteen points clear of St. Louis in the conference.

We're 4 points ahead of New Jersey in the league, but they have two games in hand.

And Kari Lehtonen is better than the best two goalies you can think of combined. Honest.

This game makes it so easy to Firesale your way to the Stanley Cup. Take a team with big names but no chance (Philly, St. Louis, Tampa, whatever). Go into Set Team Needs and select to either Rebuild with prospects or rebuild through the draft, depending on whether you want to win in a couple of years or the next year. Then go to your overpaid star players and hit offer to all. The offers will generally suck but it will show you who is interested. Then go and tweak with counter offers until you get good deals. It's best to wait until after the preseason is over because you get more and better offers once teams cut down their payroll by sending players back to the farm and juniors. Hold onto a few guys until the trading deadline, and then repeat the process. Pick up whatever deadline steals you want with the tons and tones of cap room you should have, draft well, plug holes with free agents and boom, call up your A-List prospects and make a charge for the cup.

Guest Grapehead

Remember how CKN had that Sens diary and he got scored on a lot but scored a ton to have a sweet record. Well I don't think my record is nearly as good, but I've got the same thing going right now. Spezza is riding a 32 game point scoring streak, 66 points on it, and 108 at the 55GP mark. Gerber has a poor GAA, and Emery is injured. I think the real key to my success is the preseason trade I made, Eaves for Michalek, straight up. Eaves has 39 points so far, whereas Michalek has 68. Michalek, Spezza, Heatley is my top line, and they are combined for 273 points.

Edited by Grapehead