Rancid Frontman Releasing New Album

Benji

Rancid frontman goes solo

And Tim Armstrong is giving it away for free

Rancid frontman Tim Armstrong has made a solo album with a big difference.

In a break between albums for the punk rock veterans, Armstrong has revealed that he has been working on a solo collection called 'A Poet's Life' for release on his own Hellcat Records label.

However, the album will only be released online, one song at a time every month.

Armstrong - who found fame with influential punks Operation Ivy - told fans via a MySpace bulletin: "I've been in the studio, recording songs and decided to put them out as a solo record. This album is going to be different from the rest, mainly because we're going to give it away for free on the internet. It's our way of saying thanks to everyone, for all the support over the years."

The first track 'Hold On' was made available last week, on August 29, with the next one out at the end of this month.

Armstrong explained: "The first song and video off my solo record is called 'Hold On'. It was recorded with the Aggrolites in Los Angeles. This track has an old school sound. We put one mic on the drums and everything was played live, keeping it real raw. The video was shot in one night wth a group of friends. Lars (Frederiksen from Rancid) even flew down from SF to hang out and be in it. In the months to come I plan on dropping the rest of the record for free on the internet, one track at a time."

However, Armstrong pledged to return to the studio for Rancid's seventh album as soon as possible. He said: "The next record I'll be working on is Rancid's seventh album. We're recording it as soon as we get off the road in December. Our plan is to jump into the studio right after tour, that's when our playing and singing is the strongest."

I kidded, of course, about the title, I love Timothy. Seems interesting, though I'm willing to bet he may as well have called it "Rancid" and have been done with it, I'm doubtful it's that different and done with that many 'fresh' people who haven't worked with the band before.