The NASCAR Chase For The Championship

Guest JT179

Ok so the last race before the chase is over and here is your top 10 for the Chase To The Nextel Cup:

1. Matt Kenseth (4 Wins, Points Leader)

2. Jimmie Johnson (4 Wins, 5 Points Back)

3. Kevin Harvick (3 Wins, 10 Points Back)

4. Kyle Busch (1 Win, 15 Points Back)

5. Denny Hamlin (2 Wins, 20 Points Back)

6. Dale Earnhardt Jr. (1 Win, 25 Points Back)

7. Mark Martin (0 Wins, 30 Points Back)

8. Jeff Burton (0 Wins, 35 Points Back)

9. Jeff Gordon (2 Wins, 40 Points Back)

10. Kasey Kahne (5 Wins, 45 Points Back)

Those MISSING The Chase Include:

Tony Stewart (2 Wins)

Greg Biffle (1 Win)

Carl Edwards (0 Wins)

Kurt Busch (1 Win)

Ryan Newman (0 Wins)

And everyone else

So the top 3 men from last year's championship standings missed the cut. Go figure, I bet no one would have picked that. So here is how I think the standings are gonna look at the end of the season:

1. Matt Kenseth

2. Kevin Harvick

3. Jimmie Johnson

4. Kasey Kahne

5. Kyle Busch

6. Denny Hamlin

7. Mark Martin

8. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

9. Jeff Burton

10. Jeff Gordon

Kenseth has been outstanding the last month and the only driver that has been even close has been Harvick. I think it will be between those two and MAYBE Johnson if he turn up the whick because he's been slacking lately. The rest I think don't have a chance. I'd love to see Martin or Hamlin shock everyone but I don't think it will happen.

I see the Chase getting heavily changed after this season. They've already said that its going to be changed anyway, but after the Chase not putting a stop to what it was intended to put a stop to (drivers who don't win races all season being in contention while drivers who have wins aren't), I have a feeling it'll be altered heavily, or at least the way points are earned will be.

I'm not going to do any predictions, but as long as Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick or Mark Martin don't win the championship, it'll be fine by me whoever wins.

The Chase is fine, its all about consistentcy. Kahne sucked outside of his wins... so why should he have been allowed in if he didn't do well tonight? And with Martin he was constantly at the top early on and only tapered off lately. Letting them in because they won a few races is stupid.

I'm personally an advocate of a true playoff system. Top ten racers get their own point system; the position you finish in = # of points (43rd = 43 points, 1st = 1 point). Starting with the end of Race 2, the racer with the most points (worst finishes) is eliminated from the Chase. Do that every race, and by Homestead there are 2 left. Erase all points, and it's whichever one of them finishes ahead of the other (1 finishes 20th, one finishes 6th, the guy in 6th wins the championship).

I'm personally an advocate of a true playoff system. Top ten racers get their own point system; the position you finish in = # of points (43rd = 43 points, 1st = 1 point). Starting with the end of Race 2, the racer with the most points (worst finishes) is eliminated from the Chase. Do that every race, and by Homestead there are 2 left. Erase all points, and it's whichever one of them finishes ahead of the other (1 finishes 20th, one finishes 6th, the guy in 6th wins the championship).