Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip - Season One

Guest Ringmaster

Guest Mr. Potato Head

My thoughts on the last episode for (hopefully only) quite a while...

I really, really hope this wasn't the last we've seen of S60. The last two scenes were a passble ending for the series, but the rest of the episode wasn't even close to screaming 'finale'.

I wasn't a big fan of the Jordan/Danny interaction EXCEPT when the baby was directly involved (Danny's "he had an accident, and I took him to a doctor" explanation was priceless). Am I the only one who still gets the feeling that there's more to this relationship, at least on Jordan's end, than we're being told?

Harriet and Luke was okay, but seemed kinda rushed, and made Luke out to be FAR too much of a bad guy. He hadn't been shown like this yet, and I *guess* you can use "he was in director mode, not Harriet's boyfriend mode" as an excuse, but I still didn't like Luke at all in this episode.

Cal, Tom, Simon, and Suzanne were hilarious, as they always are when they're not in the lead story.

And the lawyer lady was good enough, I guess, but hopefully doesn't become a recurring character.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure there are 6 episodes in the order to go, and even though I'm sure it'll return and be aired sometime in a few months, if it doesn't you can guarantee that it'll all be released on DVD. This show is the most Tivo'd on television, it'll do great on DVD.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Just to throw a ridiculous theory out there...

Jordan's baby is due in May. Could it be possible that the birth is meant to happen in one of the final first season episodes, and this hiatus is being done to keep "real-time" continuity?

• 2 months later...

'Studio 60' Returning in May

Show will return after sweeps and after the upfronts

Zap2It.com

April 27 2007

NBC has set a return date for "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip."

The Aaron Sorkin drama, which arrived last fall as the season's most hyped show and vanished from NBC's schedule amidst sinking ratings, will move to Thursday nights at 10 p.m. starting on May 24, at least according to the network's website for the show.

Not-so-coincidentally, that Thursday is the day after the end of the crucial May sweeps period and it comes a week after the upfront presentation at which NBC will reveal to advertisers whether or not "Studio 60" has a future on the network next season.

The show's chances for renewal are believed to be relatively slim.

Savvy viewers will recall that this is a return of sorts for "Studio 60." Last May, NBC announced that the series would air on Thursday nights at 9 p.m., only to run scurrying to Mondays after ABC moved "Grey's Anatomy" into the same time period.

"Studio 60" had a solid premiere, but by the time February rolled around the series was drawing only around 7 million same-day viewers (factoring in DVR usage gave the series a boost). The last original "Studio 60" aired back on February 19, before NBC shelved it a week earlier than expected for "The Black Donnellys."

Of course, "The Black Donnellys" failed to even premiere big and NBC pulled the plug on that Paul Haggis-created drama after only six episodes, replacing it with "The Real Wedding Crashers," which also didn't exactly dominate the time period.

NBC has yet to announce its specific intentions for the truncated "Studio 60" return. Six episodes remain unaired.

I couldn't be happier, and I came here to post this very news, but I will disagree with beaty and say that S60 is DOA. I don't want it to be, best show on TV and all of that, but it is. NBC won't realize their mistake either until after the Emmys, which I predict will be s60 heavy in both nominees and winners. Still, it'll be good to see those final six episodes, assuming NBC actually airs all of them.

Oh and Raines, which looked so promising, sucks so much.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

GREAT news, but I have to agree with TGC in that I don't think the show will survive - which is too bad, because with a few minor tweaks and a couple of years, it could have built a solid fanbase.

Also, I can't find any information to back this up, but didn't it get (proportionally) great Canadian ratings?

• 2 weeks later...

'Strip' Stripped from NBC's Schedule

Marking the end of one of the greatest debacles in its history, NBC is expected to disclose during its upfront season presentation on Monday that it has canceled Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, the centerpiece of its presentation one year ago and a show that had reportedly cost it an enormous $3 million per episode -- or nearly $100 million over the past year (when marketing and other costs are reckoned). The series, from The West Wing's Aaron Sorkin, which amounted to a backstage look at a kind of Saturday Night Live show, had struggled in the ratings almost from the outset and had received mixed notices from critics. Nevertheless, until recently, NBC executives had voiced their support for it. NBC President Kevin Reilly insisted that he was a fan of the show and that it deserved time to find a larger audience. Meanwhile, the network has reportedly ordered five new hours of dramatic shows for next season, including a revival of the '70s series, The Bionic Woman. Further details are expected to be provided on Monday.