So NOW I see why I didn't like Eyes Wide Shut...

ROC

Kubrick Was Dispondent Over 'Eyes' Before His Death, Says Actor

R. Lee Ermey, the actor who played the menacing drill instructor in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket (1987), says that two weeks before his death, Kubrick phoned him to express his dispondency over Eyes Wide Shut, starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, which reportedly had taken longer than any film in history to film and which was only in a rough-cut state. "He told me it was a piece of s**t," Ermey said in an interview with the online Radar magazine, "and that he was disgusted with it and that the critics were going to have him for lunch. He said Cruise and Kidman had their way with him -- exactly the words he used." Ermey did not explain what he thought Kubrick may have meant by the expression, except to remark, "He was kind of a shy little timid guy. He wasn't real forceful. That's why he didn't appreciate working with big, high-powered actors. ... He would lose control."

Well, although I didn't care about movies a lot back in '97, I've since realized it just seemed gimmicky to have Cruise and Kidman in it and could have easily been done with no-names.

I've always felt rather bad too, as Kubrick is probably getting made fun of in Heaven for having "Eyes Wide Shut" be his last movie.... if there is a Heaven. If not, the worms devouring his body are probably making fun of him.

Well, although I didn't care about movies a lot back in '97, I've since realized it just seemed gimmicky to have Cruise and Kidman in it and could have easily been done with no-names.

I've always felt rather bad too, as Kubrick is probably getting made fun of in Heaven for having "Eyes Wide Shut" be his last movie.... if there is a Heaven. If not, the worms devouring his body are probably making fun of him.

I find it strange that a lot of Kubrick's friends have stated that Kurbick told them Eyes Wide Shut was his favorite film and Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman said they loved working with him.

Plus,

"He said Cruise and Kidman had their way with him"

The longest shoot I think in movie history, I doubt the actors had much say in the 40-50 takes being done by Kubrick. If they were having they're way with him you think the filme wouldn't have taken up much of they're lives.