WWE - Road to WrestleMania XX

Guest PoEtRyInMoTiOn

Guest PoEtRyInMoTiOn

Raw Main Event, Eddie Colon

14th April 2003

- According to many reliable sources, The Rock is set to appear in Raw's main event tonight. His opponent is unknown, though likely opponents are Shawn Michaels and Booker T, who have both been at the top of Raw's card at some time over the past few weeks.

- After the signing of developmental star Carly Colon, it has also been announced that his brother, Eddie Colon, has been signed to a development contract. It is likely that the two will perform as a tag team in Ohio Valley Wrestling.

Credit: PWInsider

Guest PoEtRyInMoTiOn

IPB Image

April 14th 2003

Raw’s intro video played as the show came on air, which showed a few new clips of Triple H’s beatdown on Kevin Nash. The show then opened up with loud fireworks, as Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler introduced Raw and announced a number of matches set to take place tonight, including Triple H vs Shawn Michaels, Kane & RVD vs 3 Minute Warning, as well as a rare appearance from The Rock who will be taking on Booker T in the main event. Suddenly, Triple H’s music hit the PA, and the whole arena erupted in boos as The Game made his way down to the ring, wearing a suit with straightened hair and shades. As he got into the ring, he walked over to Lillian Garcia, snatching a microphone from her as she exited the ring.

Triple H: Since last Monday night I’ve been asked the same thing day-in and day-out – you were pinned by Booker on Raw, will the same happen at Backlash? Well my answer is simply… NO! Last week Jericho screwed up, just as he did the week before, and he’s slowly screwing me out of the World Heavyweight Championship! Well you know what? I’m gonna screw Jericho off of Raw! Two weeks ago when he agreed to be Booker T’s surprise opponent, the condition was that I would go one on one with Shawn Michaels the week before Backlash. Deep down inside, Jericho knows damn well that he’ll never be able to defeat Michaels fair and square, which is exactly why he wanted me to step into the ring with him. Well you know what? It ain’t happening! Screw you Jericho, I’m taking the night off.

Just as Triple H dropped the microphone and began to head out of the ring, Chris Jericho’s music hit the PA, and the cocky superstar walked out from behind the curtain with a pissed off look on his face, also in a non-wrestling attire.

Chris Jericho: I screwed up? I screwed up? You were the one that got hit with the Book End and pinned for the three count. Say whatever you want, I had Booker and Michaels beat, you were the one that screwed up. You think differently? Well how about I come down to that ring and we see who really deserves that World Heavyweight Championship!

Jericho began to walk down the entrance ramp, removing his jacket and dropping it on the way down. Just as Y2J got down to ringside, both men were interrupted by Eric Bischoff’s entrance music. The Raw GM came out onto the stage with a microphone in his hand.

Eric Bischoff: Hold it! Hold it! Neither of you two are proving anything just now; I’m now having my champ injured before Backlash! That would give Stephanie McMahon something to really laugh about on SmackDown! And Hunter, I promised these fans a match and my god it’s gonna happen! Tonight, it will be Triple H taking on Shawn Michaels in one-on-one action… But, seeing as you two want to get it on so bad, I tell ya what – it appears to me that Chris Jericho isn’t booked to have a match tonight. So, in the interest on controversy, Chris Jericho will be the guest referee for the Triple H vs Shawn Michaels match tonight!

The fans popped as Eric Bischoff went to the back, Triple H looking shocked as Jericho’s face lit up with a smile.

Jim Ross: Chris Jericho will referee Triple H’s match against Shawn Michaels tonight! That’s huge news!

Jerry Lawler: Will Jericho call this match straight down the middle? He wants o get his hands on Triple H, but you also can’t forget about this ongoing feud between Triple H and Chris Jericho!

Raw comes back from it’s first commercial break of the night, and a “WOOOOOOOO!!!” is heard throughout the arena as ‘The Nature Boy’ Ric Flair’s music hit the sound system, the fans ready for the opening contest. Flair made his way down to the ring accompanied by Batista, before entering the ring and then waiting for his opponent. The fans exploded as Jeff Hardy’s entrance music hit the PA, and the charismatic superstar made his way down to the ring. The match started off with Jeff Hardy running rings around Ric Flair with the obvious agility edge on his side, performing a lot of quick moves that confused Flair. The match went on this way with a few high spots on Hardy’s half, with an unusual somewhat poor performance from Ric Flair. The tables were turned as Jeff Hardy leapt to the top rope, going for a Whisper in the Wind, but was countered as Ric Flair fell backwards against the ropes and knocked Hardy from the top rope. The match continued in Ric Flair’s favour for the next few minutes until Jeff Hardy managed to counter a suplex, landing on his feet behind Flair, and quickly hitting a Twist of Fate. As he went to the top rope for the Swanton Bomb, Batista subtly shook the ropes, and Hardy slipped down to the mat. Ric Flair dragging Hardy to the middle of the ring and applied a Figure Four Leg Lock. The heart of Hardy kept him in the match for about thirty seconds, but Ric Flair managed to get the win as Hardy tapped out. It should be noted that this is the third week in the row that Hardy has lost to a member of Evolution via interference from another member. Flair then grabbed a microphone as Batista entered the ring with him.

Ric Flair: You people see this!?! This is just an example of the domination of Evolution! Jeff Hardy has tried three times, and failed! We are the best thing on Raw, heck, Raw couldn’t survive without us! Nobody can defeat Evolution!

Suddenly, Flair was cut off as the lights went out. Everybody in the arena was confused, when suddenly the music of Goldberg hit the PA! The fans popped as Goldberg’s classic pyro began to shoot out of each side of the entrance ramp. After a few moments, the music and pyro stopped, as the arena lit up again. A puzzled Ric Flair and Batista quickly left the ring, the fans disappointed that Goldberg didn’t appear.

Jerry Lawler: Oh my god! What does this mean, JR?

Jim Ross: Well I’m gonna take a guess and say that this means Evolution’s next!

Raw came back from a quick Backlash advertisement, and 3 Minute Warning’s entrance music was playing as the two made their way down to the ring accompanied by Rico. As they stood in the ring, huge flames suddenly shot from either side of the entrance ramp, and The Big Red Machine made his way down to the ring. As Rob Van Dam’s entrance music hit, the fans popped as Kane waited for his partner to arrive. After about thirty seconds, Rob Van Dam still didn’t arrive, and the entrance music faded out. Kane was shocked as RVD didn’t arrive, until he was suddenly attacked from behind by Rosey and Jamal, the timekeeper ringing the bell.

Jim Ross: Well I guess this just turned into a handicap match!

The match started off as both Rosey and Jamal stomped the hell out of the downed Kane, until the referee eventually forces Rosey out of the ring, making Jamal the legal man. Rosey and Jamal continued to dominate Kane for around the next nine minutes – there were times when it looked like Kane might be able to come back, but the numbers eventually got to him. It looked like Kane was out of the match, after a big Samoan drop from Rosey and Jamal going to the top rope. Suddenly, the fans went mad as RVD ran down the entrance ramp, sliding into the ring and then jumping up to the second rope, bouncing off and knocking Jamal from the top rope with a Spinning Wheel kick. As he dropped down to the mat, Kane beginning to get to his feet, Rosey ran at RVD. RVD ducked with a nice forward roll, and as Rosey turned around to look back at RVD, he was caught in a chokeslam by Kane! Van Dam jumped up to the top rope, connecting with his 5 Star Frog Splash, before Kan covered Rosey for the three count. As RVD celebrated, Kane looked at him and seemed to be questioning where he was when the match started. RVD ignored whatever Kane was saying and continued to celebrate. The match iself wasn’t great, due to Rosey and Jamal not performing to their best, but the angle at the end made up for it.

Jerry Lawler: Well, Van Dam helps out Kane in the end, and they managed to get the win over the team of Rosey and Jamal.

The camera then cut to Victoria backstage, with her usual twisted look on her face.

Victoria: Trish Stratus… this Sunday, don’t expect to leave with that Woman’s championship around your waist…

Raw returned from a commercial break, and showed Rob Van Dam and Kane outside Eric Bischoff’s office. Just before RVD walks in, Kane stops him.

Kane: Rob, I just have to ask, where the hell were you?

Rob Van Dam: What? Oh yeah, that, that was nothing dude. Don’t worry, man.

RVD then opened the door to the General Manager office, and the fans popped as they see Eric Bischoff talking to Vince McMahon himself! Their conversation is interrupted by Rob Van Dam.

Rob Van Dam: Vince, dude, how’s it going?... Anyway, Eric, you’re probably wondering why we’re here. It’s simple, really, we just want you to put us in the Tag title match this Sunday at Backlash. Cool?

Eric Bischoff: And why the hell would I want to do that?

Rob Van Dam: Dude, didn’t you see our match just then? We totally owned Three Minute Warning!

Eric Bischoff: Well, you want a answer Rob? Well the answer’s no. Now-

Vince McMahon: Let me step in right there, Eric – Rob, Kane, you can have your match. This Sunday, at Backlash, it’ll be Lance Storm and Morley, defending their tag team championships against the Dudley Boyz, and the team of Rob Van Dam and Kane! Now, if you’d like to step out of the GM Office, myself and Mr. Bischoff are discussing a big matter – which may even concern you.

The camera cut back to the ringside area, where Chris Jericho was already standing in the ring wearing a referee shirt. Shawn Michaels’ entrance music hit, and the energetic superstar made his way down to the ring, Jericho stepping out of the ring as Michaels enters. Triple H’s entrance music then hit, and The Game made his way down to the ring. As his music faded out, Jericho got back into the ring, and the match got under way. The match started quite slow with a lockup, and the match stayed even throughout the first few minutes. Chris Jericho managed to call the match straight down the middle, even when both superstars looked at him as if threatening him that they’d attack if he favoured the other superstar. The match stayed even until Shawn Michaels went for a flying forearm, but as Triple H moved Michaels collided with a steel turnbuckle, exposed by Triple H earlier in the match. Shawn Michaels kicked out on the two count, but Triple H still knew that the match had dramatically swung in his favour. Triple H continued to dominate for quite a while, it looked almost as if Michaels was knocked out, though every time he was covered he managed to get a shoulder up. Suddenly, the momentum swung when Michaels ducked a clothesline, hitting a desperation Sweet Chin Music! He covered Aich, it looked like it was over, but Jericho didn’t make the count! The fans boo like maniacs as Shawn Michaels gets to his feet, staring down Jericho. Suddenly, he floors the referee with a Sweet Chin Music, the fans going wild! Shawn Michaels looked down, smiling at Jericho, when he was suddenly layed out from behind by Randy Orton and Batista.

Jim Ross: What the hell are these guys doing here!? Michaels had the damn match won!

Batista proceeded to deliver a monstrous powerbomb to Michaels, before Evolution dragged Triple H on top of Michaels for the covers. As they exited the ring, Jericho managed to get to his feet and make the three count.

Jerry Lawler: Well, in the sport of wrestling, it’s just ‘W’s and ‘L’s – Triple H got the win, and that’s all that matters.

Jim Ross: What do you mean, “That’s all that matters”!?! Shawn Michaels was screwed over!

As Triple H celebrated, Chris Jericho sneaked up behind him, attempting a Low Blow. As Jericho was just inches away, Triple H turned around, catching Jericho in the act. Jericho began to clap for Triple H, acting as if he never went to attack him, but as he went to raise Triple H’s hand Aich kicked him in the gut and hit a Pedigree! The fans cheered for Triple H as he climbed out of the ring, leaving Jericho and Michaels out. All in all this was a very good segment that the fans enjoyed, setting them up well for the main event.

The camera cuts back to the General Manager’s office, where Vince McMahon is watching the monitor in disgust.

Vince McMahon: Is that how you’re gonna let your main event end this Sunday at Backlash? Because that will not be good for Raw, or your general manager spot.

Eric Bischoff: Well, Mr. McMahon, let me explain-

Vince McMahon: NO! There is no explaining to do! This Sunday, if any of Evolution gets involved in the World Heavyweight Championship match, their asses will be FIIIIIRRRRREEEDDD!!!

Raw came back for a final commercial break of the night, and the two words “Is Cookin’” were heard throughout the arena. The fans erupted The Rock’s music hit, even though he is one of the biggest heels on Raw. The People’s Champion walked out from behind the curtain, and down the entrance ramp into the ring. Just moments later, Booker T’s music hit, and The Rock’s opponent for the evening made hi sway down to the ring. The match started with a staredown, with each competitor getting almost an equal crowd reaction. The two competitors then kicked off the match with a lockup, and the match stayed fairly slow and equal for the first couple of minutes. The match continuously swung in each man’s favour, The Rock often mocking Booker T by performing his signature taunts. As the match continued, each man constantly got near falls, keeping the fans on the edge of their seats as they kicked out every time. The match was still two-sided, with neither superstar getting more amount of offence in. Everybody through that it was the end of the match about ten minutes in, when Booker T went for a Scissors Kick, The Rock moving out of the way. The Rock then went for a Rock Bottom, but Booker countered with a few elbows to the side of the head, then hitting the Book End! Booker covered, but only managed to get a two count after the successfully hit finishing move. The match continued as both men began to tire, and just a few moments later Booker T – to everybody’s surprise – kicked out of The People’s Elbow! The fans were loving this match as it went on, and the ending came as Booker T hit a Scissors Kick on the Rock. This match was great, even Pay Per View worthy. It seemed that WWE were trying to really put Booker T over to make it see as if he could actually win the World Heavyweight Championship at Backlash.

Jim Ross: Booker T won it! Booker T defeated The Rock!

After the match, Booker T and The Rock were staring each other own. Suddenly Triple H, Batista, Ric Flair and Randy Orton attacked both superstars from behind, much to the fans disappointment. The Rock and Booker T managed to fight Evolution off, clearing the ring! The Rock looked at Booker T again, saying something to him and signalling that he think Booker has what it takes to be Champion. He then raises Booker’s hand as a sign of respect, the fans applauding The Rock and Booker T. Raw then comes to an end.

Result Round-Up

Ric Flair w/Batista defeated Jeff Hardy

Kane & Rob Van Dam defeated Three Minute Warning w/Rico

Triple H defeated Shawn Michaels {Jericho was the guest referee}

Booker T defeated The Rock

Guest PoEtRyInMoTiOn

Austin/Orton feud been scrapped?

16th April 2003

As we reported a few weeks ago, Steve Austin had stated that he was unhappy with being put in a fued with somebody as low on the card as Orton - it is thought that this feud was supposed to give Randy somewhat of a push. On Monday night's Raw, Randy Orton didn't bring up Steve Austin, and Austin didn't even appear on-screen. It should be noted that Steve Austin has creative control, and may have refused to continue the angle.

Guest PoEtRyInMoTiOn

Two SmackDown matches announced

17th April 2003

Smackdown General Manager Stephanie McMahon has told WWE.com that tonight on SmackDown there will be two pick your poison matches - Chris Benoit will be choosing Brock Lesnar's opponent and the stipulation of the match, while Brock Lesnar will be choosing Chris Benoit's opponent and the stipulation of the match. Be sure not to miss this one!

Credit: WWE.com

Guest PoEtRyInMoTiOn

IPB Image

April 17th 2003

SmackDown came on air with an image of Stephanie McMahon sitting behind her desk in the GM Office.

Stephanie McMahon: As you all know, this Sunday at Backlash we’ll see Chris Benoit battle Brock Lesnar in the main event for the WWE Championship. Last week, we saw Chris and Brock team, but this week, they’ll be able to weaken each other for their match at Backlash. Each man will be able to pick the other’s ‘poison’, so to speak – they’ll both be able to choose each other’s opponent, as well as the stipulation of the match. And Chris Benoit’s match is up next.

The shot faded from Stephanie’s face to the intro of SmackDown. The show started off with a lot of pyro, but before the announcers could even introduce SmackDown t the viewers at home, Chris Benoit’s entrance music hit. The Rabid Wolverine made his way down to the ring, ready for whoever Brock Lesnar chose as his opponent. As he got into the ring, Lesnar’s music hit, and the WWE Champion came out onto the stage in non-wrestling attire, with a microphone in his hand.

Brock Lesnar: I’m gonna make this short and sweet Chris… Your opponent is somebody who you have teamed with and fought in the past, he is the Man Beast, Rhyno!

Rhyno’s entrance music hit the PA and the Man Beast ran down to the ring. However, before they could kick off the match, Brock Lesnar interrupted them.

Brock Lesnar: Oh, and one more thing – this match cannot end by submission!

The match then got under way, with not too much offence from either superstar. As the match went on Chris Benoit began to wear Rhyno down, getting himself into the driver’s seat of the match. However, he continuously used a lot of the submission moves in his mat-based arsenal, even though he couldn’t get the win from them. The match continued, entertaining the fans highly with a lot of good wrestling from both men. After around nine minutes, Chris Benoit managed to lock in his signature Crippler Crossface. After a long struggle, Rhyno tapped the mat, but it didn’t count as a win for Chris Benoit! Benoit kept the hold locked in, as it began to take a toll on Rhino. Chris Benoit released the hold about twenty seconds later, and the match continued. Chris Benoit stayed in control, until a few minutes later when out of nowhere Rhyno countered a clothesline into a big Spinebuster. Rhyno immediately went to the corner, waiting for Chris Benoit and setting up for the Gore. As Chris Benoit got to his feet, he turned around, but as Rhyno paces towards him he stepped out of the way. As Rhyno Gored the steel ring post at full throttle, Chris Benoit quickly rolled the Man Beast up for the three count. All in all, a very entertaining match with a nice stipulation that kept the fans excited. All in all, a good way to kick off the show.

Tazz: Well, Chris Benoit has overcome Brock Lesnar’s poison, will Brock Lesnar be able to do the same? We’ll find out later tonight!

Michael Cole: But up next, we’ll see a match that our Cruiserweight Champion Matt Hardy has requested, it’ll be Rey Mysterio taking on A-Train.

Tazz: And Rey Mysterio gets a title shot whenever he wants if he wins. If he loses, he’ll never get a shot at it again for as long as Matt Hardy is the champion.

Michael Cole: And that match is coming up next, don’t miss it!

As SmackDown came back from it’s first commercial break, A-Train was standing in the ring, awaiting the arrival of his opponent for the night, Rey Mysterio. Rey Mysterio’s music hit and the charismatic superstar shot up from the ground, looking ready for the coming match. He made his way down to the ring and the match was kicked off, Rey Mysterio using his agility and speed edge to avoid the attacks of A-Train and frustrate him. The whole match went pretty much in Rey Mysterio’s favour, with A-Train rarely getting a big offensive move in. The beginning of the end began as A-Train went for a Baldo Bomb, Rey Mysterio countering by wrapping his legs around the head of A-Train and performing a nice Headscissor Takedown, sending A-Train stumbling into the ropes. He was positioned perfectly for the 619, which Rey quickly hit, before connecting with the West Coast Pop. Rey Mysterio quickly got the three count, winning what was not a great match, and was used obviously to set up for a Hardy/Rey match. Before he left the ring he was handed a microphone from Tony Chimmel.

Rey Mysterio: Matt Hardy, I’m not gonna leave you waiting – this Sunday at Backlash, you and me, for the Cruiserweight title.

Michael Cole: Cruiserweight title match at Backlash! That’s huge news!

Following the A-Train/Mysterio match, another video was played on the titantron, similar to the one last week. Hulk Hogan entered the building through a fire exit door, proceeding to walk up the corridor with his bag. Suddenly, a car came zooming up the corridor, Hulk Hogan stepping to the side and narrowly missing the car! The car came to a screeching halt as it came to the end of the hallway. As Hogan furiously went to see who was in the car, Crash Holly got out of it and immediately ran out of the sight of Hulk Hogan! Hulk Hogan doesn’t know what the hell is going on, staring at the car in confusion. The cameras then cut back to the ring area as Nunzio’s entrance music was playing, the former leader of the now defunct Full Blooded Italians making his way down to the ring. Tajiri shortly followed, and the two quickly got into their third consecutive match. The short match swung back and forth throughout, with no distinctive dominator at any point. The match was a short one, but still good performances from both men and a nice way to continue their subtle feud that has been brewing. The finish came not too far into the match as Nunzio managed to gain control by countering the Tarantula with a boot to the jaw, before going up high and setting up for the Sicilian Slice. However, just as he came crashing town Tajiri moved, and then hit a vital Buzzsaw Kick ro the temple of Nunzio, getting the three count! Another great match put on by Tajiri and Nunzio.

SmackDown! came back from a commercial break as two unknown superstars were standing in the ring, the name plate announcing them as “Eddie & Carly Colon”. The Undertaker’s music hit moments later, and he and his student Nathan Jones made their way down to the ring. Nathan Jones started the match off with Eddie Colon, and immediately began to dominate the young superstar. Frequent tags were made between the team of Undertaker and Nathan Jones, who continued to dominate throughout the entire match. The ending came as The Undertaker hit Carly Colon with the Tombstone Piledriver, while Nathan Jones prevented interference from Eddie with a devastating Big Boot. Not much to say here, it was a somewhat poor match, intended only to put Nathan Jones and Undertaker over before their big match at Backlash.

Tazz: It really looks like the Undertaker’s built something good out of Nathan Jones here

Michael Cole: Absolutely – we’ve said it before, but these two could be a force to be reckoned with.

Tazz: The question is, can they overcome the team of Big Show and A-Train when it comes to it this Sunday at Backlash?

Michael Cole: I certainly think that they have what it takes.

After a small segment where Michael Cole and Tazz advertised Backlash, going through the card and their personal predictions, the music of Los Guerreros immediately hit the PA. Eddie and Chavo made their way down to the ring in their lowrider as Tony Chimmel announced that the match would be for the WWE Tag Team Championships. The championships, Team Angle, then made their way down to the ring and the match began faced paced, Shelton Benjamin and Eddie kicking things off. The match started very fast paced, with Eddie Guerrero countering a lot of Shelton’s very athletic moves and keeping one half of the tag team champions on his toes. As the match progressed frequent tags were made between both teams, making a very exciting and entertaining match for the fans in the arena. None of the four wrestlers failed to keep the fans watching as the match went on, and all of them began to wear down. At around the ten minute mark the referee was knocked off of his feet as Chavo Guerrero leapt from the top rope looking for a Crossbody, Benjamin ducking at Chavo flooring the referee. Not too long afterwards, Charlie Haas handed Benjamin a steel chair, and Benjamin floored Eddie, getting the three count as the referee recovered.

Michael Cole: No! God dammit, why did they have to win this way!?! Los Guerreros just got screwed out of the WWE Tag Team Championships!

Tazz: Well, Team Angle have certainly made it clear that they want to make Kurt proud.

SmackDown returned from it’s final commercial break of the night, and Brock Lesnar’s entrance music hit the PA, the WWE Champion making his way down to the ring awaiting Chris Benoit’s poison. Chris Benoit’s entrance music then hit the PA, and the Rabid Wolverine walked out onto the entrance ramp, a microphone in his hand.

Chris Benoit: Brock Lesnar, earlier tonight I survived your poison, now it’s time for you to take mine. You will be participating in a No Holds Barred match, against… THE BIG SHOW!

The fans began to boo as Big Show made his way out onto the entrance ramp, smiling down at the person who he had feuded with late last year and earlier this year, Brock Lesnar. As he got into the ring, Chris Benoit made his way down to thye ring, joining Tazz and Michael Cole at commentary. The match started with various attempts at attacks from Brock Lesnar, though they were all unsuccessful as Big Show used his power advantage to force Lesnar away. The match began to get slightly dull as it went on, with not a lot of action at all. After enough boring action, the match took a turn as Big Show went for a Chokeslam, but Brock Lesnar hit a kick to the gut mid-flight and got out of the grip os Big Show. As his feet his the mat, he lifted Big Show on his shoulders, the fans erupted as he hit the F5!

Tazz: F5! F5! Surely this one’s over!

Michael Cole: Wait, Chris, where are you going!?!

As Brock Lesnar covered Big Show, Chris Benoit broke the count as he dragged the referee by the foot under the bottom rope As the referee landed on the outside, he questions Chris Benoit over what he was doing, but Benoit payed no attention to the referee. He quickly grabbed a steel chair from under the ring, climbed into the ring and bended it over Lesnar’s skull! The fans booed as Chris Benoit began to inflict a legal beating on Lesnar, as Big Show began to regain his bearings after the F5. When Show got to his feet Benoit demanded that he end the match, as Big Show delivered a successful Chokeslam to Lesnar on the steel chair used earlier by Benoit. The fans continued to boo as Big Show covered Lesnar, getting the three count.

Michael Cole: No! No! I can’t believe that Lesnar had to lose like this!

Before Big Show’s music hit, Chris Benoit gave Lesnar a look that it wasn’t over. He then slapped Big Show on the chest, pointing to Lesnar and commanding that Show inflict more damage. Chris Benoit looked on in satisfaction as Big Show threw Lesnar to the outside. The fans continued to boo wildly as Big Show grabbed Brock Lesnar around the throat, lifting him up and hitting a second successful Chokeslam – this time through the Spanish announce table! Chris Benoit laughed and raised Big Show’s hand as SmackDown faded out, showing Brock Lesnar layed out motionless on the outside.

Result Round-Up

Chris Benoit defeated Rhyno

Rey Mysterio defeated A-Train

Undertaker & Nathan Jones defeated The Colon Brothers

Team Angle defeated Los Guerreros to retain the WWE Tag Team Championships

Big Show defeated Brock Lesnar

Guest PoEtRyInMoTiOn

***BACKLASH 2003 FINAL CARD***

20th April 2003

We are just hours away from World Wrestling Entertainment's Backlash! This is the final card for the show:

Booker T vs Triple H {World Heavyweight Championship}

Chris Benoit vs Brock Lesnar {WWE Championship}

Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michaels {Loser Leaves Raw Ladder match}

Kane & Rob Van Dam vs Dudley Boyz vs Storm & Morley {World Tag Team Championships}

Los Guerreros vs Team Angle {WWE Tag Team Championships}

Nathan Jones & The Undertaker vs Big Show & A-Train

Rey Mysterio vs Matt Hardy {Cruiserweight Championship}

Victoria vs Trish Stratus {Woman's Championship}

It is also possible that there may be a pre-show match, available to watch on Heat, one hour before Backlash begins. This is sure to be a great one, don't miss it!

Guest PoEtRyInMoTiOn

IPB Image

Backlash 2003

April 20th 2003

PRE-SHOW: HEAT

As many believed it would, the segment of Heat that wasn’t spent hyping up the Backlash Pay Per View and WWE’s current feuds was taken up with a pre-show match to hype fans for the main show. The team of Nunzio, Jamie Noble and Crash Holly made their way out to the ring, followed shortly be the team of Tajiri, Rhyno and Billy Kidman. Tajiri and Jamie Noble kicked off the match quickly, really displaying the ability of the cruiserweight division on SmackDown. The match went on with frequent tags from both sides, taking up a good entertaining ten minutes at least. The ending of the match came as Tajiri hit a stinging Buzzsaw Kick to the temple of Nunzio, as the legal man Billy Kidman followed up with a Shooting Star Press. Rhyno delivered a Gore to both Jamie Noble and Crash Holly, crushing them against the turnbuckle as Kidman got the three count. It seemed a decent way to prepare the fans for the show, with an exciting six man tag and also keeping certain superstars who weren’t in a feud active.

Los Guerreros vs Team Angle {WWE Tag Team Championships}

As both teams made their way to the ring, fans hoped to see a match of the same quality as the previous match on SmackDown, only with a finish that swings in Los Guerreros favour. Chavo Guerrero and Charlie Haas kicked the match off, each displaying a lot of athleticism and often tagging in their partners. The match continued to swing in each team’s direction, with a lot of near-falls for both teams. Towards the ten minute mark it looked like Los Guerreros had the tag titles won, as Eddie managed to hit a Frog Splash on Charlie Haas. It was very nicely broken, however, as Shelton Benjamin springboarded off of the top rope and hit a forearm to Eddie Guerrero, breaking the pin. Just a few moments later Team Angle hit their Leapfrog Attack on Chavo Guerrero, Charlie Haas quickly following up with a bridged German Suplex pin and getting a two count himself. The match continued as all of the superstars were wearing down. The match came to an end as Charlie Haas got Chavo Guerrero in a Waistlock, preparing for a Double Team with the legal man Shelton Benjmain. Eddie Guerrero tried to get into the ring, but the referee was stopping him as Team Angle hit a German Suplex & Super Kick combo. As Shelton Benjamin went for the cover on Chavo, Haas knocked Eddie off fo the apron, and Team Angle retained the WWE Tag Team Championships. All in all this was a very good match, but once again the fans were disappointed as Team Angle left as the champions.

Victoria vs Trish Stratus {Women’s Championship}

The Raw side of things were kicked off with Trish Stratus defending her championship against the psycho who had made it clear that she wanted gold back around her waist, Victoria. Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler introduced the Raw fans to Backlash as both divas made their way to the ring, and the match got underway. The fans were behind Trish Stratus as the match stayed even for only the first few minutes, before Victoria got in control and began to dominate Trish Stratus. The match reached the five minute mark and Victoria was already hitting big moves like her modified sidewalk slam, but Trish Stratus was kicking out of everything that Victoria threw at her. Around eight minutes into the match, Victoria grabbed the hair of Trish Stratus, throwing her through the middle rope and to the outside of the ring. Victoria followed her, and began to Irish Whip her into the steel steps and the barricade that keeps the fans out of the action. Eventually the referee counted both women out as Victoria kept Trish on the outside. After the referee rung the bell Victoria went crazy, grabbing a steel chair and trying to destroy Trish Stratus with it as the referee tried to keep her away. Bottom line, Trish retained the title, but at what price?

Rey Mysterio vs Matt Hardy {Cruiserweight Championship}

Backlash went back to SmackDown as Rey Mysterio and Matt Hardy made their entrance, Matt Hardy accompanied by the loyal MFer Shannon Moore. The match started off quickly with Rey Mysterio running rings over the slightly less-speedy Matt Hardy, who actually had to lose weight to define himself as a cruiserweight in the first place. On certain occasions Shannon Moore tried to get involved on Matt Hardy’s behalf subtly, swinging the advantage in Matt Hardy’s direction. Rey Mysterio continued to come back, and the match made up into an incredibly impressive one. As both men battled on, beginning to tire, the match swung in Rey Mysterio’s favour as he countered a Twist of Fate, pushing Matt Hardy away and then dropkicking him in the back, setting up for a 619. He successfully connected with his signature move, but as he landed on the ring apron setting up for the West Coast Pop Shannon Moore grabbed his foot, preventing him from finishing Hardy of. The referee sent Shannon Moore to the back, to both Matt Hardy and the MFer’s disbelief. The match went on, both men scoring a good amount of near falls but unable to put the other away. Near the end of the match, Matt Hardy hit a Twist of Fate but Rey Mysterio unbelievably kicked out! Matt Hardy was wondering what the hell could possibly put Mysterio away as the fans were sure that Mysterio had the match won. Minutes later Mysterio managed to set Hardy up for another 619, connecting and going for the West Coast Pop. As he springboarded off of the top rope, however, Matt Hardy managed to twist his body and grabbed Mysterio’s head mid-flight, countering into a modified Twist of Fate! Hardy quickly went for the cover, getting the three count and retaining the Cruiserweight championship. The fans were somewhat disappointed with the result, but please that it ended fairly thanks to Shannon Moore being sent to the back, and that hardy and Mysterio put on one heck of a match.

Vince McMahon’s Announcment

The fans didn’t know what was going on as Mr. McMahon’s entrance music hit the PA, and the chairman of WWE made his way out onto the entrance ramp in a suit, with a microphone in his hand.

Vince McMahon: Ladies and gentlemen, those of you who tuned into Raw on Monday night may remember that I was talking to Eric Bischoff about a ‘big’ matter, that could involve anybody on the WWE roster – SmackDown on Raw. I thought to myself, “Where better to do this than at WWE’s Pay Per View event, Backlash? So, here it is. Starting from tomorrow night on Raw, on every show – Raw and SmackDown - leading up to Judgment Day on the 18th of May, there will be a ‘Draft Pick’. This is simple – tomorrow night on Raw, a randomly selected SmackDown superstar shall make his debut and switch brands, therefore becoming a Raw superstar. And vice versa on SmackDown. As I mentioned, this will happen on every show leading up to Judgment Day, and therefore there will be four draft picks for each show. At Judgment Day, there will eb a special eight man over-the-top-rope battle royal, featuring all eight draft picks, and whichever show the winner is on will get another pick – the last pick will not be random, it will be of the General Manager’s choice. That is all, good evening and enjoy the show.

The fans go wild at this huge announcement from Vince McMahon, as the chairman leaves the ringside area.

Nathan Jones & The Undertaker vs A-Train & Big Show

This match started off slow with A-Train and Nathan Jones, bringing down the fans mood after an outstanding match between two of the Cruiserweights on SmackDown. Surprisingly, most of the match was spent with Nathan Jones and The Undertaker on the offence, and it really seemed as if there wasn’t much point to the feud, and the match was solely to put Nathan Jones over. Although Nathan Jones hadn’t been receiving a great crowd reaction, it was as if they had just stuck him with The Undertaker to try and make him into a star. Not a great deal to explain here, seeing as it was a dull match, only made by the usual good performance from The Undertaker. The match ended when Nathan Jones delivered a big powerbomb to A-Train, while Big Show and The Undertaker traded punches on the outside. Nathan Jones got the win in what didn’t seem like a Pay Per View quality match. A lot of the fans were shocked when, after the match, Big Show exchanged some nasty comments with A-Train, apparently upset about him losing the match for them.

Kane & RVD vs Dudley Boyz vs Storm & Morley {World Tag Team Championships}

Before the match kicked off Lillian Garcia went over the rules of the match – there would be three men in the ring at one time, one superstar from each team. Kane kicked off the match with Lance Storm and D-Von Dudley, and a lot of people were surprised to see D-Von join forces with Storm in attempt to take Kane out! After continuous unsuccessful attempts, D-Von and Storm began to frequently tag in their partners, trying to keep Kane isolated. The fans were pleasantly surprised by this match, as it stayed relatively exciting the whole way through. Every team got a fair share of near falls, and there were points when the fans thought that a team defiantly had the match won until the other legal man broke the cover. The whole shock of the match came as Kane pushed D-Von Dudley into the corner of the ring, setting up for a Chokeslam as Lance Storm tried to get into the ring ad save his titles, the referee keeping him on the apron with his back turned to the match. With the referee distracted, RVD slid a steel chair under the bottom rope to Kane. Kane picked it up, waiting behind the recovering D-Von Dudley ready to put it to good use. Suddenly, RVD span Kane around on the spot, and hit a Van Daminator! RVD quickly hightailed it out of the ring, as Kane stumbled backwards and walked straight into a 3D from the Dudley Boyz! Chief Morley suddenly rolled D-Von Dudley up as Lance Storm managed to get into the ring, keeping Bubba Ray out of the equation! Lance Storm got the three count, and the retaining tag team champions quickly rolled out of the ring and began to walk up the entrance ramp, celebrating with the Tag Team championships. The camera then cut to backstage, as RVD was pacing through corridors, apparently intent on getting out of the arena as quickly as possible before Kane got his hands on him.

The Nature Boy Has Something to Say…. WOOOO!!!

Evolution’s music hit and Ric Flair, accompanied by Randy Orton and Batista, made their way down to the ring, Batista with a steel chair in his hand. As they got into the ring, Ric Flair took a microphone from Lillian Garcia, apparently with something to say.

Ric Flair: Bill Goldberg! When I said that NOBODY could beat Evolution Monday night on Raw, I meant it! So, if you’re man enough to-

Suddenly, Ric Flair is cut off as Bill Goldberg’s music hits the sound system, the fans getting to their feet and going crazy! After a short pause, in which the fan expected perhaps another false alarm, Bill Goldberg walked out from behind the curtain, to his signature pyro. The fans roared as he made his way down to the ring, standing in the presence of Evolution. After a few moments where nobody moved, as you could see the fear in the eyes of Flair, Goldberg suddenly paced towards Flair, hitting a devastating Spear that almost knocked him out of his boots! As Goldberg got to his feet, Batista approached him with the steel chair but Goldberg connected with a powerful boot to the chair that sent it smashing into Batista’s skull. Randy Orton was the final member of Evolution to attack, but he was met with Bill Goldberg’s finishing Jackhammer. The fans were going crazy as Bill Goldberg shouted into the camera, “WHO’S NEXT!?!” after making a debut with impact.

Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michaels {Loser Leaves Raw Ladder match}

Finally, the feud between Chris Jericho and Shawn Michaels was to come to an end. This match was bound to be a classic; everybody in the arena knew it. The match started off relatively even, and it wasn’t long before the ladder came into play. The match continuously swung in each man’s favour, both superstars often climbing the ladder and going for the hanging briefcase. This match kept the fans on the edge of their seats for the entirety, Michaels and Jericho definitely pleasing everyone by putting their great chemistry to use in possibly their last match together ever. After quite a while of battling, a chair even coming into play at one point, the fans thought that the match was over when Shawn Michaels connected with his Sweet Chin Music, but Jericho managed to get up in the spare of the moment and keep his spot on Raw. Not too long after Michaels was hit with the Lionsault, but Jericho was also unable to get hold of the case. The battle went on, both superstars giving it their all to remain on the Raw roster. Towards the end of the match Jericho locked in a Walls of Jericho on Michaels, inflicting excruciating pain on the lower back of Michaels, which has been known to be Michaels’ week spot in the past. After around a half a minute of the submission hold, Jericho decided that it was time to go for the case, and bean to climb the ladder. However, he didn’t see Michaels setting up the steel chair as you would if you were about to sit on it. Michaels then manages to get up just in time, grabbing the tights of Jericho and pulling him down, forcing him to drop t the third step on the ladder. After a few fists to the head of Jericho, he was barely hanging onto the ladder. Michaels took a few steps back, before running and jumping onto the set up steel chair to give himself elevation, then booting Jericho right in the jay with a Sweet Chin Music, knocking him down from the ladder! The fans were sure that Sawn Michaels had the mach won as he climbed the ladder, Jericho motionless. Suddenly, Christian hopped the barricade and slid into the ring, tipping the ladder and sending Shawn Michaels to the outside! The fans booed crazily as Christian lifted Jericho on his shoulders, climbing the ladder and helping Jericho detach the briefcase! Christian and Chris Jericho began to make their way to the back, celebrating as Shawn Michaels got into the ring. He looked around the arena, the fans chanting his name as he had a saddened look on his face, feeling as if he had let down his fans. Overall, this match was a fantastic one, and stole the show.

Somebody Finally Gets the Job Done

A referee rushed into the office of Stephanie McMahon telling her something as he tried to get his breath back. Stephanie McMahon was led out into the hallway and up a corridor, where the referee showed her Hulk Hogan who was unconscious, laying in a puddle of his own blood. Stephanie McMahon stood there in horror, trying to work out who could have possibly done this to the Hulkster and why…

Chris Benoit vs Brock Lesnar {WWE Championship}

SmackDown’s main event kicked off with a staredown between Chris Benoit and Brock Lesnar, who’s ribs were taped up due to the sickening assault on SmackDown at the hands of Big Show. As both superstars locked up, Chris Benoit immediately took control targeting the taped up ribs of Lesnar, working on them with his technical skills. Surprisingly, as the match went on it was Chris Benoit who was in control of it for the most part, with him getting more offence in that Lesnar overall. The ribs being his main focus, every time that Brock Lesnar took control Benoit would perform a counter or unexpected move to the ribs, regaining the control. As the match went on, Chris Benoit got a lot of near falls, and locked in the Crippler Crossface and Sharpshooter numerous times. In the end, it was Brock Lesnar who got the last laugh, as he ended a hard fought battle for both men with an F5 for the three count. This was a good match due to the chemistry between Chris Benoit and Brock Lesnar, though it didn’t quite match the quality of the Loser Leaves Raw or Cruiserweight Championship matches.

Booker T vs Triple H {World Heavyweight Championship}

After a great follow-up Pay Per View from WrestleMania, the fans are ready for the main event of the evening. Before both competitors made their way to the ring, Lillian Garcia reminded everybody that Evolution would be banned from ringside for this bout. The match kicked off evenly, but slowly and subtly began to go in the favour of the World Heavyweight Champion. By the ten minute mark the Cerebral Assassin was in control of the match, hitting big moves on Booker T and getting close falls, with Booker T rarely getting in an offensive move. From here the match became unpredictable, the momentum regularly changing with big counters. Everybody in the arena thought that the match was over when Booker T hit the Book End, but Triple H kicked out. Not long afterwards Booker T also hit a Scissors Kick, the fans were chanting along with the referee, “One… Two…” Everyone was shocked when Triple H got a shoulder up, and the match continued. As the match had gone on for a solid fifteen-to-twenty minutes, Triple H got frustrated and in attempt to keep his title, went for the sledge hammer. The referee tried to stop him, warning him that it would result in disqualification… Suddenly, the roof was almost blown off of the arena as Kevin Nash’s entrance music hit the PA, Big Daddy Cool making his way down to the ring! After a short staredown, Triple H went for a shot to Nash’s skull, but Nash hit a Big Boot on Aich, knocking the weapon out of his hand!

The referee rung the bell for disqualification, Triple H retaining the World Heavyweight Championship, but the brawl between Triple H and Kevin Nash went on. The rest of Evolution rushed down to the ring and began to assault Kevin Nash and Booker T, the numbers game beginning to catch up to them. Out of nowhere, Scott Steiner ran down to the ring in an aim to make the save for Nash and Booker, but was unsuccessful in doing so as the 4-3 advantage is still too much. Suddenly, The Rock’s entrance music hit the PA and the Brahma Bull ran down to the ring, evening the odds and helping to lay the SmackDown on Evolution’s asses. As if this wasn’t enough, Chris Jericho and his sidekick Christian paced down to the ring and got involved in the action, sticking on Evolution’s side. Just when everybody thought that this 10 man brawl couldn’t get even crazier, the familiar music of Stone Cold Steve Austin hits the PA, and the Texas Rattlesnake runs down to the ring and unleashes hell. In the end, the team of Booker T, Nash, Steiner, The Rock and Steve Austin prevails as everybody else is eliminated from the ring. The five superstars all stand in the ring, staring back at Evolution, Jericho and Christian. Wth a helacious ending, Backlash comes to an end…

Result Round-Up

Billy Kidman, Rhyno & Tajiri defeated Nunzio, Jamie Noble & Crash Holly {Pre-Show}

Team Angle defeated Los Guerreros to retain WWE Tag Team Championships

Victoria vs Trish Stratus went to a Double Count-Out {Trish retains the Women’s title}

Matt Hardy defeated Rey Mysterio to retain the Cruiserweight Championship

Nathan Jones & The Undertaker defeated A-Train & Big Show

Storm & Morley defeated Dudley Boyz and Kane & RVD to retain World Tga Team Championships

Chris Jericho defeated Shawn Michaels {Michaels must leave Raw}

Brock Lesnar defeated Chris Benoit to retain the WWE Championship

Triple H defeated Booker T by DQ {Triple H retains the World Heavyweight title}

Edited by PoEtRyInMoTiOn

Guest PoEtRyInMoTiOn

Raw Main Event, Nathan Jones Released Superstars & Development Signing

21st April 2003

- We can reveal that tonight on Raw there will be a 10 man tag team match, featuring the team of Orton, Batista, Flair, Jericho and Christian taking on Nash, Booker, Steiner, The Rock and Steve Austin! That's sure to be a great match, don't miss it!

- After WWE's constant attempts at getting Nathan Jones over, it hasn't been working. It is expected that Nathan Jones will soon split from The Undertaker and drop down the card.

- According to WWE.com, the following superstars have been released:

Christopher Nowinski

Rico

Chris Kanyon

Also, Raw superstar Maven has been sent down to OVW, until the creative have something to do with him.

- Former WWE superstar, TAKA Michinoku, has been signed to a development contract! This is sure to be a big signing for WWE.

• 9 months later...