RIP My PS2

ZJ Penn

So, last night marked the death of my PS2. It died in it's sleep aged 6 from some sort of lense difficulty which means it now reads no discs at all. It picked the worst time to die to, as I've got a lot of games to finish off, Digital Devil Saga 1 + 2, FF12, Burnout Dominator, Vandal Hearts 2, Front Mission 3, Guitar Hero 2, as well as the occasional blasts on PES6 and SVR2007.

So clearly I need to get a new one, regardless of the PS3. What I wanted to know is how much should I be looking at paying for a new one? I know there's a few guys who work in console shops on here and was hoping you'd help me. At the moment it generally looks to be about £99.99, which would be about £89 with my staff discount. That's not too bad, but I was wondering if anyone knew how much I should be paying, and if there's going to be any PS3 related price drops soon?

*I wouldn't normally be so tight-fisted but I need a new phone too, fell out my pocket while I was up a ladder yesterday. :ohwell:

If you don't mind chunky pre-owned PS2s we do deals starting at £59.99 (with one game worth £3.99 or under), £69.99 (with four 4/£20 games or two 2/£20 games) and a slimline is £79.99 with the 4/20 or 2/20 deal.

Have you taken your PS2 apart though and cleaned off the lens, generally dusted and let it air a little? Works for mine when it dies every few months. I got mine in 2000/early 2001 so am in the same kinda boat age-wise.

I wouldn't know where to start to be honest, though I might as well considering it'll just be replaced otherwise. What do you clean the lense with?

Basically right this is what I do.

I unscrew all the screws on the external casing, removing the case, revealing the circuit board. I run a cloth over the fan, unclogging any dust, and generally dust the interior.

Using a smaller screwdriver I remove the casing over the laser and clean the metallic strip connected to the laser just with a dry cloth. I then rub the dry cloth over the laser.

I give it all a quick blow to get rid of any more dust, check everything's in one piece and gently screw everything back together. I place the console somewhere where I won't move it and it usually starts up again and works perfectly for a few months.

Of course I wouldn't suggest it if you're under warranty as you have to remove the void sticker. You won't be able to sell it after this but then again no-one will buy a broken PS2.

DON'T start poking around in the electrics (unless you know what you're doing, which I don't)

DON'T keep moving your PS2 around after this. As my PS2 gets older I have to leave it in the same place. Flat, no taking around friends or whatever as to much shaking around stops it working again.

DO treat it like an old person and not roughly.