Album Review - Rush's "Snakes and Arrows"

SteeleAround

I don't know how many Rush fans dwell here at EWB, but I decided to post this review here to see what other people thought.

I give Snakes and Arrows an 8/10. The Canadian trio has always done a fantastic job of reinventing themselves, and S&A is no exceptions. There are 3 songs that could be played on a New Rock station and fit in fine in Far Cry, Workin' Them Angels, and Faithless. While it isn't old Rush, it isn't supposed to be. The ONLY drawback is some of the lyrics. Peart really dug deep, and I get that considering what he's been through, but By the end of the album, you need the pick me up of that last song, We Hold On.

Good Lyric: 'Pariah dogs and wandering madmen, barking at strangers and speaking in tongues'

Makes Me Want To Slit My Wrists Lyric: 'Sometimes the pain is strong and the will is too weak'

Lifeson's guitar solo in Faithless is ridiculously good, as is his layering on just about every song. Peart's drums are still face smashing, and wonderful. Geddy's voice may not be able to pound out the banshee wails it did in Fly By Night, but is still smooth and listenable. Plus, he's an effin god on the bass, still.

Best Songs:

1) Workin' Them Angels

2) Far Cry

3) Faithless

4) Malignant Narcissism

5) Armor and Sword

6) Spindrift

7) The Main Monkey Business

Songs I could do without:

1) Hope

2) Good News First

3) The Larger Bowl

The other three are somewhere in the middle.

All in all, if you are a Rush fan...buy it. If you aren't, give Far Cry a listen and judge for yourself. Don't expect 2112 Part 2 though. This CD is what Vapor Trails should have been, and is their best release since 1987's Hold Your Fire.