What do you think of the 2012 Olympics logo?

Guest olla666

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best description I've read has been "It looks like a transfer for sticking on a BMX bike in the 1980s. A free one from a cereal packet."

Also, they've pulled the animated version because it's got complaints from people suffering epileptic attacks. There's a machine which is used as a matter of course by broadcasting companies etc. that will check a piece of footage for potential epileptic harm, but apparently their £400,000 bill couldn't be stretched that far.

Edited by stokeriño

Nah, it's too lame for the Japanese. Take their World Cup 2002 logo as evidence:

020701_worldcup2002_logo.gif

And you think the UK one looks shockingly outdated now...think what it'll look like when we actually get to 2012.

It looks awful.

At first I was looking at it hard, expecting to be missing something obvious. But there doesn't seem to be any clever reasoning behind the shapes (such as the outline of the British Isles), it just looks like a mess. I like the comment about the BMX stickers, stok. Good find.

As a design-minded type person I should be more bothered about this but I'm really not. It's not a good logo, but no-one will care about the logo once the games get underway. On the other hand, the fact that 400 grand was spent on it is a bit rediculous. I would've made them one for half that >_>

Also, I understand the 2012 numbers, but what's with the dot in the middle? I can only assume it's so that there's 5 shapes, as there are 5 olympic rings, 5 continents, etc.

If you look at it right, the dot in the middle is just the top of the '2'. With that said, it looks really really shit.

Oh and yeah, 2012 - the end of the world. Think about it. :shifty:

Edited by Evil Empire

Could it be a combination of the main commonwealth countries. As I said earlier, the 0 looks like Australia, and the 2012 look kind of like New Zealand and the last 2 might be England. :ohwell:

I really doubt it, but yeah, I can't see any other reason why they'd make it look so unattractive.

Could it be a combination of the main commonwealth countries. As I said earlier, the 0 looks like Australia, and the 2012 look kind of like New Zealand and the last 2 might be England. :ohwell:

I really doubt it, but yeah, I can't see any other reason why they'd make it look so unattractive.

You could be right, the last 2 does look like a simplified Britain.

The BBC's got a selection of alternative logos readers have sent in, the first batch being here and the second lot here. Yes, some of them are made in MS Paint. :shifty:

I kind of like this one, even if it is somewhat bland (take out the tag line though, obviously).

_43006855_james_wren_416.jpg