Best PS2 Baseball Game?

Gabriel

So, I've been strolling down Memory Lane, playing Major League Baseball featuring Ken Griffey Jr on the N64.

What I want to know is, if that is my favorite baseball game of all time... what baseball game on the PS2 should I pick up if I wanted more current rosters and shit?

Well, personally I think MLB 2K7 tops all the baseball games now, but I have it on the PS3, and I tried it on the PS2, and it actually was different, and not that good. If you can handle having the rosters a little outdated, MVP Baseball 2005 is the best PS2 baseball game out there. And if you want the rosters newer, there's websites out there such as right here for CAP's and roster transaction history to update your rosters, and make them realistic/new. And I'm sure that MVP 2005 is a lot cheaper now that it's 2 years old.

http://www.thesportslodge.com/forum/index.php?showforum=5

Starting out as a pitcher on the Road to the Show is hard as hell... I was brought in to close the 9th in my first game. I struck the first batter out, but then had trouble with the second because my pitch control wasn't very good, so I ended up walking him with one strike. Then my goal becomes to get a ground ball for a double play to end the game... easy peezy, right? Wrong... my catcher keeps asking for fastballs down and away. At first, I ignore him and go up and inside with a slider for a strike, but after missing the strike zone twice with fastballs up and away, I listen to him and get taken for a two run shot out of the park.

Blah!

You're gonna get rocked for a while until you get your guy better stats, it's pretty realistic. You can't just expect to walk into the big leagues in your first season and shut down the other team, it's not going to happen.

It doesn't take long to build stats, though. By the end of my first season as a starter, I was dominating major league teams as my Cubbies won the World Series. :)

Ugh... I completely fucked myself over. I had a Road to the Show going great... I made 34 saves in Syracuse of AAA before missing the last two months because of an injury... played two weeks into my second season and got the call up to the Majors to play for the Jays... eveyrthing's going great...I've blown three saves, but I've made 8 and the one's I blew where blown because there were runners on base when I got the call.

Anyways, I fix up the Jays roster for when I start my franchise later on, and I accidentally saved it over my Road to the Show file... :( ... lame.

In The Show, can you actually play your minor league games during a season? And if so, is there all the AAA, AA, and A? That's something I really miss in MVP Baseball, they don't have the option to play them in 2K7. :(

If you're playing The Road to the Show mode, your player can play in the MLB, AAA or AA leagues depending on his positioning in terms of depth at his position in your organization... hell, even if you're the #2 Closer of 4 guys, occasionally you'll be sent to AA for whatever reason... or brought up to the Majors because BJ Ryan is on a cold streak and they want him to work it off down in AAA.

I'm not sure about Franchise mode though yet...but I doubt it.

I found the most horrible glitch ever... the first time it happened, I thought I just saw wrong, but then it happened again.

Ryan Roberts blasts a fastball that's left right in the middle of the plate, and it's going deep and there's no way it's coming back... except it magically ends up in the glove of the second baseman. Blah!

Yeah, the wiki for the game has a whole list of glitches. Didn't see that one on there, though. Might wanna add it or somethin'.

• 2 weeks later...

If I play someone in a position not listed as theirs long enough, will it become their position?

For instance, I traded BJ Ryan away before my season started to more mimic the reality of the Blue Jays bullpen... which left me with no closer. I've had Scott Downs make 14 saves so far in my season, but he's listed as a RP (Relief Pitcher). Will that change to Closing Pitcher at any time in the future, or will my Team Overview constantly say that I'm lacking in the CP department?