Sunderland legend dies

Johnny Latino Heat

Ian Porterfield, whose goal for Sunderland against Leeds United in 1973 created arguably the greatest FA Cup Final shock, died yesterday aged 61. The Scot subsequently enjoyed a lengthy managerial career and had guided Armenia to a marvellous 1-1 draw against Portugal only three weeks before his death.

The former midfield player was diagnosed with colon cancer this year but continued in his post with Armenia, the sixth national team he had coached after Zambia, Saudi Arabia, Zimbabwe, Oman and Trinidad and Tobago. His highest-profile position in England came in the early 1990s when he took charge of Chelsea.

“He had his wish to die in harness,” Glenda, his wife, said. “I’ll always remember the open training session at the stadium on the day before the game [against Portugal]. The stadium was packed to see all the Portuguese stars like [Cristiano] Ronaldo, Deco and the rest, but when Ian walked out, they all stood up and shouted his name. It was very moving.”

Porterfield’s most memorable footballing moment, though, came on that Wembley day in 1973. Leeds had just secured a fifth successive top-three placing in the old first division and their team comprised 11 internationals, while Sunderland were seeking to become the first second division FA Cup winners for 42 years and had been in danger of dropping to the third tier earlier in the campaign.

But Porterfield’s first-half swivel and volley, with his weaker right foot, earned Sunderland victory on a day also remembered for an astonishing double save by Jim Montgomery, their goalkeeper, and a triumphant run on to the pitch by Bob Stokoe, the manager, complete with trilby hat.

Montgomery, 63, said: “We had a fantastic time when we came back after winning the cup. It took us hours to get ten miles on an open-top bus — we will never forget it. When I saw Ian last he was bubbly and talked about that particular night. I’m really glad there were 17,000 or so singing his name on the pitch at the end of Armenia’s game against Portugal.”

Niall Quinn, the Sunderland chairman, said: “It is a very, very sad day for the club and of course our immediate thoughts are with Ian’s wife, Glenda. His ten loyal years at Roker Park, not to mention his winning goal at Wembley, ensure that his name is up there with the likes of Charlie Hurley, Raich Carter and Bobby Gurney.”

Born in Dunfermline, Porterfield began his playing career with Raith Rovers before appearing for Sunderland, Reading on loan, and Sheffield Wednesday. His managerial bow came with Rotherham United in 1979 and he gained promotion in his first full season in charge. He then took over at Sheffield United, where, in less than five years, he guided them from the fourth tier to seventh position in the second level. He was rewarded with the sack.

He subsequently had spells with Aberdeen, as Sir Alex Ferguson’s replacement, and Reading before leading Chelsea into the Premier League era. “His death so young is a tragedy for his family and for football,” Ferguson said. “It isn’t long ago when he was coaching in South Korea that I spoke to him with the intention of getting a few young players over to United. I played against him when he was with Raith Rovers. He was blessed with a lot of natural talent.”

Porterfield’s dismissal by Chelsea in 1993 prompted him to further his career abroad, his first task being to rebuild the Zambia team soon after an air crash had robbed the country of many of its most talented players. His international sojourn also included a spell with Busan I’Park, the South Korean club side, where he enjoyed success, before he became coach of Armenia a little more than a year ago.

A Scot to be proud of, no doubt. Surprised he never had a cap. Very saddening, I'm just glad he got to keep somewhat of his independence during his last few months.

And I wonder how many languages he spoke, and his passport must be amazing. So strange to see that kind of journeyman managing.