Suggestions Box

This is the "Suggestions Box" for the Graphic Design Forum. This is just an experiment for the moment, really, to see how people respond and to see what I can get out of people as far as constructive ideas go for our forum. If you have any ideas to make the graphics forum a better experience for you and everyone else, just stop by in here and discuss them with all of us.

Be sure to follow the rules of the forum though: no flaming and no postwhoring being key, really. This is a civil discussion: unless you have something valid to add to the conversation, please try and refrain from posting anything useless :P

Once again: if you have any ideas as to how to make the graphics forum a better place, just stop in and let me know (Y)

That's a pretty damn good idea, actually... we really don't encourage Photography nearly enough in here, I think that could really work out. The only thing though, is how many people will participate, do you think? I know I could, and I know you could, but would there be anyone else interested in Photography competitions here? If we can get a decent enough amount of people into it, I'd have no qualms at all about starting a monthly contest.

I'd like to see the monthly contests come back. either have both a regular monthly contest and a wrestling contest as well like we used to . maybe even keep like a ranking system like it used to be. and at the end of the year , the overall first place contestant of the regular monthly contests would face the overall first place contestant of the wrestling contest. in a battle where they would both do two graphic one wrestling and one regular ( rules made by you or someone else). the winner would be crowned best artist of the year or etc ?

That's assuming we're ready for a full-scale revival of the monthly contests, though, as well as starting up a 'league' for them. At the moment, activity in the Graphics Forum is very low, and while we're getting new people coming in from time to time, it's a matter of gauging how many will keep coming back for those contests, be reliable, and keep active.

Don't get me wrong: I love the idea, but for it to work we'd need much more traffic coming in here then what we do now. I'd have to say that if anything, what we should do for now is bring back monthly contests for a few trial runs... nothing 'league like' or anything, just the good old monthly contests. We'll see how the contests fair with the activity in the forum, and from there we'll know what to do.

I do think though we need one wrestling related and one not, to be fair to the different types of graphic artists we have here. I'd always encourage people to try both though, if anything.

But yeah, I decided to restart monthly contests already come November, so on the 1st I'll have a new thread up for them and, hopefully, they'll find some success.

Also: what is everyone's opinion on this idea? For the monthly contests, I thought perhaps I could start them on the first of the month, then a week before the end of the month (In November's case, the 24th) the competition is closed and no more submissions would be allowed. Then, throughout that week, judges would send me their scores, so that on the final day of the month, I could have results up.

That way, we could then continue on to the next month on the first, rather than be held up by results. I figure, if anything, I could have a minimum of three judges, and I'd probably try and go out and find people to vote if it's down to the final three days before the end of the month and I still don't have enough. Either way, I'd have plans in advance to make sure the contests wouldn't be held up.

Thoughts, anyone?

That sounds great. a trial run would work and I agree with letting people enter both contests as well. If getting judges will be a problem maybe closing the thread early as you stated and maybe starting a poll so everyone can vote. Personally I like the idea of three judges better than a poll.

A poll could lead to vote-mongering, and while I don't like to say it, it's true: there will be people asking their EWB friends to vote for them in the polls to stack things in their favor. It'll be apparent too if the graphic sucks, but yeah.

I do prefer judges... maybe have a set panel with backups, should one be unable to judge/decides to participate in the contest?

It's been a long time since I've been overly active in graphics, I used to post here frequently back on EWB3 and early EWB4 (as Vegetos/veg). I noticed the Resource list is gone now? I imagine a lot of the links are dead and whatnot. Getting a newer, updated one would be pretty helpful I think. Might take more than one person to compile it with ease, but getting a team together wouldn't be too hard if necessary. I suppose I'm more than happy to help out.

As for the contests, I'd try to keep up. I was meaning to be a more active competitor in the last few but didn't get around to it much. Definitely go with a panel of judges, though. Preferably judges that wouldn't sign on and then just bail.

Also, we should really try to keep more stuff "archived". Similarly to the old "/forum/index.php?showtopic=11199">Gallery" of AJ's that's pinned, just for these new contests we're hopefully going to start getting under way. I'm a sucker for keeping up with history, for whatever reason.

Edited by The Rated-R Superstar

No worries, I was planning anyway actually about archiving things like that. We have a Hall of Graphical Memories, we'll have plenty more to make here as well when we start things again.

I know, right? Even the standard point-and-click cameras have gotten good enough with quality shots that they can at least somewhat hold their own professionally, and they're also incredibly affordable compared to industry-standard cameras. It's all about composition.

Well, tell you guys what: November, I'll do a trial run on three contests. "Professional Graphic Designs" will be a contest for those interested in trying to do designs you might find yourself doing in the industry. "Wrestling" will be the standard wrestling graphics, but I'll try to get some good ideas for it together for rules. We'll also do a trial run on a Photography competition, and see how many people turn out for it.

With any luck, we can really get some life back into this place. If you can, spread the word to people about the plans for November... I'll be contacting people I think would make excellent judges to find out if they'd be willing to help out. Sounds like November's going to be a big month for our little forum if it goes well, actually.

Working with pocket cameras is very possible these days, yes. Infact it almost is required but I don’t want to get in to deep. ;-)

There is a ton of stuff possible, it´s not that using photoshop on taken pictures would be forbidden or anything. But you could also set the topic of pinhole cameras – everyone could build one and we´ed see if someone works out good results. (but i´ed say that would be a step to take a bit later, not for the first contest >_>)

Yeah. I figured the first contest could be something nice and simple, like working with Depth of Field or texture or something. Judging would be handled on how interesting the composition is (I swear to God, we get a birds eye view on a coaster dead-center in a picture or something that was taken without a second thought and I will give whoever does it straight 0s), etc.

I'm actually really glad I had that Photography class last quarter... I really learned alot, and I'm happy for it. It'll help me with my designs. Honestly, Matzat, I think this idea could really pan out here... thanks for suggesting it.

I used my girlfriend's Digital Camera, it's nothing overly fancy but it gets the job done, and Depth of Field was easy to pull off with it. But, yeah, I suppose you're right... for the first contest maybe just have a theme like "Take a picture of something blue" or something. I'll figure something out and we'll see how the trial run fairs.