I need help w/ my site

Dynamic Positioning is for idiots and pussys.

Slice the image like a real man damnit.

I'm in a good mood, I'll elaboborate.

What you've done, is said I want the iframe to be 200 pixels right, and 100 pixels down from the top left corner Now this would be fine if yourlayout was in the top left hand corner. But it's not, it's centred, which means that the it changes position depending on the resolution.

Example, there will be fewer pixels between the edge of the screen and the layout on 800x600 than there will be on 1024x768. So while you can make the layout look fine for one resolution and one browser (Example: 800x600 on Internet Exporer) it's going to look bad for everyone with a different browser or res.

Understand so far?

What you need to do, is something called slicing.

Slicing is quite tricky the first time, but it gets easier as you go along. You would do best to look for tutorial But I'll explain the basics.

In photoshop, you will notice that if you click on the rulers and drag down, or right you get a blue guide line. This line will not show on your final graphic, it is there to aid slicing. So, using these blue lines, you need to separate everything you want to be a separate componant.

By this I mean, you need to isolate, all the iframes and if you have graphical links, all of those too.

Example.

taz.gif

(Ir's a crappy example, but I don';t have any good layouts (that I want people to see) in PSD format)

Right, it looks complicated, but it's not. Using the slice tool you need to click and drag to select the bits you want separated. So you want the iframes to be in one slice each, and the graphic links in one slice each, then whatevers left in one slice each. Try and keep them in equal rows as much as possible. It makes it easier later.

Example.

taz2.gif

There are twelve slices there

1. All along the top

2. Taz head to waist

3. Iframe

4. Area to the right of iframe

5. Entire row below iframe

6. Taz's forearms

7. Link

8. Link

9. Link

10. Link

11. Area right of link

12. Entire row below links

Then, go to file > Save for web

choose your settings, and save.

You now have a html document, and some images.

Ill post more later if you still need help, but I need to shower.

• 8 months later...