Mase Makes his Return To Rap After 5 Years

Ananas

Daily Hip-Hop News:

Mase: "Harlem... We Back Man"

written by Carl Chery

Friday - May 14, 2004

Several months following reports of Mase's return to Hip-Hop, his new single has hit radio and internet download sites while the rapper makes impromptu public appearances declaring to the world he's really back.

On "Welcome Back," the Harlem rapper-turned-minister-turned-rapper-again effortlessly spits his signature lazy flow over a sample of the theme song from the 1970s television show, Welcome Back Kotter. However, references of polygamy and flossing synonymous with the old Mase are noticeably absent. Instead, Mase rhymes on his changed life and his comeback without uttering a curse.

"Self controlled and I ain't telling no lie/trying to find a soul mate you end up being soul tied/I make my money man/without the coca/livin la vida without the loca," Mase proclaims.

Though a far cry from his previous material, the hook highlighted with children chanting, "welcome back" makes the track fit right into his radio friendly catalogue. Later on the track, the former pastor of Atlanta's S.A.N.E. Ministries comments on his lengthy hiatus.

"The names have all changed since I've been around/but the game ain't the same since I left out," he sings.

While early reports said that Mase was seeking a deal with Nelly's Fo Reel Entertainment, he made a surprise call into New York radio station Hot 97 while radio personality Sunny was interviewing P. Diddy on-air yesterday. During the five minute interview, Mase confirmed his rumored return, declaring to Diddy, "Ya'll need to go get me something from Jacob's... I've got to be clean when I walk back in."

Diddy mentioned he has reserved Madison Square Garden mega-arena for a celebratory welcome back concert for the rapper who retired from rap five years ago to pursue God and ministry. Mase mentioned a possible appearance at the upcoming Summer Jam concert.

Credit - SOHH.com

Apparently this had been rumoured for quite some time, but I can't find anything about it on these boards, and it's news to me. It's good news actually, I really dug Mase. It's also good to see he's found a happy medium between his faith and his passion, instead of just ignoring one of the two. Discuss.

i can remember all my hip hop listening school mates hating him like crazy, otherwise i think that was becaus they totaly were cought up in that silly east oast vs west coast stuff  ;)

That's kind of funny, because I think all of Mase's stuff came out after both Biggy and 2pac were dead. News slow getting back to Germany? ;)

That's kind of funny, because I think all of Mase's stuff came out after both Biggy and 2pac were dead. News slow getting back to Germany?  ;)

i am pritty shure there is way more than thes two persons to that "war" even if i don´t realy have to much inside on that stuff.

Guest MystikalityIX

I've never liked Mase, he's got a bland voice, a poor rhyme-scheme and subpar lyrics. Then, I can't say I like anything off the Bad Boy label :\.

Guest PacaVeli777

too bad i cant celebrate this return, because i dont like Ma$e.... i was strictly a Death Row fan ya know Suge, Dre, Snoop & 'Pac was the greatest lineup of all-time, i remember when Death Row got on stage at the awrad show & just dissed Bad Boy & the entire east coast * ah the memories*

i am pritty shure there is way more than thes two persons to that "war" even if i don´t realy have to much inside on that stuff.

Well sort of, but the root of it all was 2pac's thinking Bad Boy and Biggie were involved in the New York recording studio shooting. From that original animosity came the supposed "East-West Beef". In the end, 2pac and Biggie were both dead, and Suge Knight and Puff Daddy were laughing all the way to the bank. Well Puffy was, Suge was just in jail.

Edited by GoodGodWhatABeatnik

Please don't let this get into a Tupac conversation about his death because it has come up like so many times.

I am a huge fan of Diddy which is what mainly got me into Mase. I actually think his music is good, not at a Diddy or Snoop level, but better than most off the god damn rap that is going on nowadays.