American TV

LJC

Being from Australia we have two forms of TV; Free to Air and Pay TV (ie Foxtel) but in the States, there is so many different things to chose from that I have no clue whats going on.

Things I'd Like To Know:

Cable TV?

Satellite TV?

Network TV? - I heard that EliteXC would be airing the first ever MMA Fight on Network TV, then whats UFC doing with Ultimate Fight Night?

DirecTV, InDemand etc - They are all like providers yeah? You get all the big stations and some that are exclusive them?

Superstation?

That's all I can think of at the moment, but any help on this would be appreciated.

Being from Australia we have two forms of TV; Free to Air and Pay TV (ie Foxtel) but in the States, there is so many different things to chose from that I have no clue whats going on.

Things I'd Like To Know:

Cable TV? You pay a cable company to allow you to watch channels on a variety of packages. A basic package would include local channels, (your ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and CW affilliates) and a low level number of other cable channels. A higher package would include music channels, pay channels (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, PPV), and 45 Shop At Home Networks. All of this comes into your home through a cable.

Satellite TV? It is much like cable except there are fewer packages to choose from, it is GENERALLY less expensive, and the signal comes through a satellite dish.

Network TV? - I heard that EliteXC would be airing the first ever MMA Fight on Network TV, then whats UFC doing with Ultimate Fight Night? Network TV is the local affillitates of NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, and CW. UFC is on Spike, which is a cable/satellite channel. It is still possible in many areas to recieve the main network stations without the aid of cable or satellite, thus they would be the first if they air EliteXC on CBS as I have heard bandied about.

DirecTV, InDemand etc - They are all like providers yeah? You get all the big stations and some that are exclusive them? DirecTV and Dish are satellite providers. InDemand is a PPV provider.

Superstation? Superstation is the old WTBS out of Atlanta. It was called The Superstation because it went from a local channel to US wide when Turner got it on virtually every cable company in the country. WGN out of chicago is a similar kind of station, it is local to Chicago and airs a bunch of shit, but can be seen by roughly 75% of the country through cable and satellite.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but any help on this would be appreciated.

Cable TV is a television type where you get a various amount of channels based on your cable television provider. It is more than just your basic set of the stations you get with an antenna. My former cable provider gave me about 70 channels and then I changed the type of cable I was getting to get over 200 channels. Cable TV usually goes through ground lines I think.

Satellite TV is a lot like cable TV, except you get it through a antenna and disc set up on the side of your house that points to the sky. It sends shit to a satellite in space, that sends it back to your antenna which gives you channels. It goes out a lot of the time during bad weather.

Network TV I think might be the basic channels here in America such as NBC, ABC, and CBS.

DirecTV is a cable service provider using satellite dishes on peoples houses.

InDemand is a pay-per-view provider, which you call your cable or satellite tv provider, and order whatever they are offering. Usually movies and sports.

EDIT- Just read TGC's.

Edited by SKA

Guest Dr. Potato Head

And TBS was replaced on Canadian cable systems by Peachtree TV, which has proven a mild annoyance to a surprising number of people.

Actually, no it's not.

TBS Superstation (TBS, ie 'national feed') and Peachtree TV (WTBS, local Atlanta feed) air different programming, thus why people weren't amused up here when they split apart because legally we have to air the WTBS signal.

Look no further than what they broadcast. Diff'rent Strokes, All In The Family, The Jeffersons, etc. compared to Yes, Dear, Home Improvement, Saved By The Bell, etc. They do share obvious similar shows (ie. stuff like Family Guy and Seinfeld) but aren't the same.

Edited by Vilge Duin

Fuck, I want my Saved By The Bell, Yes, Dear, Home Improvement, and more Friends. That show with the girl who worked for the Cubs wasn't bad either when nothing else was on. I hate Peachtree TV. TBS was my most reliable channel because there was always something on to just and watch when I was bored. The shows on Peachtree suck. Movies, Seinfeld, less Friends, and Family Guy are the only things the same. They were just starting to show Office reruns on TBS too.

Isn't it supposed to switch over eventually? That's what I heard.

EDIT: To make myself useful to the initial post.

EXC is going to be on CBS. They'll probably show it on the Fight Network soon after. They show all the ProElite owned MMA promotions I think.

Fight Nights and free PPVs are shown on Spike. All other deals have fallen through.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy