2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

speaking of NTC, I was reading the paper today and they were reporting that McCabe was "softening" on the idea of being traded to a New York Club.

Although I do like McCabe, I believe he has been alienated by Fletch and the best thing for him to do is to be traded as he is still a good defenceman and we might be able to get some young talent in the process.

McCabe is one of my favourite Leafs. He got shit on last year, but he has had some fantastic moments in a Leafs uniform. I want him to stay, even if we can get some prospects or picks for him.

But you need to make room on the squad for The Human Eraser! <_<

I've got this bad feeling that they're going to rush Schenn into an NHL role.

McCabe is one of my favourite Leafs. He got shit on last year, but he has had some fantastic moments in a Leafs uniform. I want him to stay, even if we can get some prospects or picks for him.

Even without McCabe we have 6/7 defensemen that can play in the NHL without having to rush Schenn.

Even without McCabe we have 6/7 defensemen that can play in the NHL without having to rush Schenn.

I know, and yet still feel like they're going to rush him in. If it were any other team, I'd feel comfortable in the knowledge that he's about two years away from being ready... but Toronto just gives me this uneasy feeling in my Hockey Canada Belly.

I have heard that Schenn is already close to being NHL ready, even at his young age. Still, I think we need to give Stralman his place with the Leafs, and with Kubina, Kaberle, McCabe, White and Colaiacovo, I don't see where Schenn could play other then the Marlies. Oh yeah, we have Frogren and Fingers too.

It depends on how many years you have played (semi)professional hockey for as well. You can play in the AHL after four seasons in the CHL and since Schenn only has one, he's not eligible. Tlusty had 3 years with HC Kladno and then a year in the OHL before he joined the Marlies.

Edited by SeanDMan

It depends on how many years you have played (semi)professional hockey for as well. You can play in the AHL after four seasons in the CHL and since Schenn only has one, he's not eligible. Tlusty had 3 years with HC Kladno and then a year in the OHL before he joined the Marlies.

I did not know that. Cool!

So I guess Schenn is staying in the CHL for a little while. If Toronto is going to be as bad as people say next year, there is no need to bring Schenn up.

Sounds like McCabe will wave the no trade clause and after September 1st he will be sent to the Florida Panthers with the Leafs paying McCabe his $2 million signing bonus on September 1st. Rumour is Mike Van Ryn coming back, maybe with a late pick as well.

I am tired of Leafs fans constantly saying "Lets suck, lets get Tavares!", jumping on this losing bandwagon as if its the only way to build a contender. You don't need the top pick to become a top team. Look at Alexandre Daigle. He was hyped up a lot and recieved a lot of press and did...nothing. Toronto needs to keep their first round picks and draft smart. Getting Luke Schenn was a start. Jiri Tlusty, Anton Stralman and Nikolai Kulemin are all young players who need time to develop who could become great contributors for this club. Justin Pogge is the goaltender of the future for our team and last year made progress - just look at his AHL numbers from 2006/07 and compare them to last year.

To say that this team is aiming for the bottom is misguided. In fact, you can say the Leafs built around their strength in the offseason by adding some more responsible defencemen and checking forwards like Mayers to help Vesa Toskala. With Toskala in goal, I don't see this team finishing last in the NHL or the Eastern Conference. Unlike last season, the Maple Leafs should be solid in their own end. The teams weakness is going to be offensively. If Sundin returns, that will help us there. If not, maybe Steen is ready to take a jump into the 60 point range? Maybe Blake will up his shooting percentage a bit and score 30? You never know when a young talent could break out either. Tlusty doesn't look ready for that yet, but Nikolai Kulemin managed to score plenty of goals in the Russian League. Maybe he will be able to pitch 15 or 20 in his rookie campaign? I really doubt Hagman will score like he did last season without Ribiero or Richards, but he can pitch in some offence to. This team has been an offence by commitee, with only Sundin standing out.

I have decided that I am not writing off this Maple Leafs team. Ron Wilson is a smart coach and I think this team will be competing for that final playoff spot just like the last three seasons.

Am I insane to believe this?

Guest Mr. Potato Head
I am tired of Leafs fans constantly saying "Lets suck, lets get Tavares!", jumping on this losing bandwagon as if its the only way to build a contender. You don't need the top pick to become a top team. Look at Alexandre Daigle. He was hyped up a lot and recieved a lot of press and did...nothing. Toronto needs to keep their first round picks and draft smart. Getting Luke Schenn was a start. Jiri Tlusty, Anton Stralman and Nikolai Kulemin are all young players who need time to develop who could become great contributors for this club. Justin Pogge is the goaltender of the future for our team and last year made progress - just look at his AHL numbers from 2006/07 and compare them to last year.

To say that this team is aiming for the bottom is misguided. In fact, you can say the Leafs built around their strength in the offseason by adding some more responsible defencemen and checking forwards like Mayers to help Vesa Toskala. With Toskala in goal, I don't see this team finishing last in the NHL or the Eastern Conference. Unlike last season, the Maple Leafs should be solid in their own end. The teams weakness is going to be offensively. If Sundin returns, that will help us there. If not, maybe Steen is ready to take a jump into the 60 point range? Maybe Blake will up his shooting percentage a bit and score 30? You never know when a young talent could break out either. Tlusty doesn't look ready for that yet, but Nikolai Kulemin managed to score plenty of goals in the Russian League. Maybe he will be able to pitch 15 or 20 in his rookie campaign? I really doubt Hagman will score like he did last season without Ribiero or Richards, but he can pitch in some offence to. This team has been an offence by commitee, with only Sundin standing out.

I have decided that I am not writing off this Maple Leafs team. Ron Wilson is a smart coach and I think this team will be competing for that final playoff spot just like the last three seasons.

Am I insane to believe this?

A little bit. Even if the Leafs do eke into the playoffs, they'll be out quick - and for once, Leafs fans realize it, hence wanting the team to tank.

I know that the Leafs wont be winning the Stanley Cup soon. I just don't think they have to be the world's worst team ever to rebuild. I do think that this season will have some excitement for Leafs fans.

Edited by Toe

Nikolai Kulemin managed to score plenty of goals in the Russian League.
I like Kulemin, but it's VERY hard to get a read for how someone will play in the NHL based on Russia. Some people play awesome in Russia, scoring a million goals, but can't adapt to the different nature of the game and flounder over here. Sometimes the inverse is true, a player can score a dozen goals across sixty RSL games and then come over and be an NHL superstar. The game is so different from Europe to here. Look at Fabian Brunnstrom. 9 goals in 54 games, he's still considered a surefire NHL forward because of what scouts see in the way he plays, and how that could adapt to the NHL level, despite not leading the league, or even his team, in scoring (on his team, he was fifth in points, tied for seventh in goals). Edited by SeanDMan

Nikolai Kulemin managed to score plenty of goals in the Russian League.
I like Kulemin, but it's VERY hard to get a read for how someone will play in the NHL based on Russia. Some people play awesome in Russia, scoring a million goals, but can't adapt to the different nature of the game and flounder over here. Sometimes the inverse is true, a player can score a dozen goals across sixty RSL games and then come over and be an NHL superstar. The game is so different from Europe to here. Look at Fabian Brunnstrom. 9 goals in 54 games, he's still considered a surefire NHL forward because of what scouts see in the way he plays, and how that could adapt to the NHL level, despite not leading the league, or even his team, in scoring (on his team, he was fifth in points, tied for seventh in goals).

Oh, I already know this. I'm just hoping he can score 15 or 20 if given a shot on a scoring line and powerplay. Everything I hear about Kulemin places him as a third line checking forward who will be able to chip in a good number of goals while filling in on the scoring lines or powerplay when injuries come up.

Does anyone know if Jonas Frogren's contract situation has been sorted out yet?