2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The All-Star Game itself is usually fun to watch. It's a showcase of skill, and you get to see a lot of guys just having fun.

What I do most of my bitching about, personally, is the way the All-Stars are chosen. I really don't think the current selection format works. Players don't even respect it. Nicklas Lidstrom is a classy guy, but he didn't even go for the festivities because it's not really considered that big of a deal anymore.

Maybe the GMs should select the teams? Or the players themselves.

Brian Burke was right though. It's not a typical hockey game, and it should be celebrated as such, and just enjoyed for what it is. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the third period, when it started getting more competitive.

I don't like, though, constantly talking to players or coaches throughout the on-ice action.

Ouf I've been in the GTA for the last 5 days(god have mercy on my soul). All I've heard from people is how Montreal rigged the all-star game by having overly enthusiastic fans and that Price is a terrible goalie because he gave up 9 in a 3 on 3 game haha. Um, well his 16-5-4 record is pretty great so far and only after his first game after injury did his streak of not losing in regulation end... at 14 games.

The all-star game was a lot of fun to watch. I thought that TSN while flattering with their heaps and heaps of praise for Montreal, sort of tried a little too hard to push the centennial. Kovy with the MVP and a sweet fucking goal during the game. Christ, what was that like a fucking change up?

What I do most of my bitching about, personally, is the way the All-Stars are chosen. I really don't think the current selection format works. Players don't even respect it. Nicklas Lidstrom is a classy guy, but he didn't even go for the festivities because it's not really considered that big of a deal anymore.

Maybe the GMs should select the teams? Or the players themselves.

My sentiments exactly really. The whole idea of being able to vote online as many times as you want is completely and utterly retarded. I'd like to see the GMs select 'X' number of players from their team, so many per position, and then have the fans vote ONE TIME PER IP ADDRESS for the players in the selected pool that they feel should go. It's still not a perfect system but personally I think it would be better.

I liked how Luongo had a microphone in his mask during the game.

Edited by Drifter_2000

Ouf I've been in the GTA for the last 5 days(god have mercy on my soul). All I've heard from people is how Montreal rigged the all-star game by having overly enthusiastic fans and that Price is a terrible goalie because he gave up 9 in a 3 on 3 game haha. Um, well his 16-5-4 record is pretty great so far and only after his first game after injury did his streak of not losing in regulation end... at 14 games.

The all-star game was a lot of fun to watch. I thought that TSN while flattering with their heaps and heaps of praise for Montreal, sort of tried a little too hard to push the centennial. Kovy with the MVP and a sweet fucking goal during the game. Christ, what was that like a fucking change up?

You have to remember that the majority of sports fans are morons. There are smart fans in Toronto, but the people that call into the shows and post on the message boards are, for the most part, dumb.

Anyone who has said a bad thing about Price based on the Young Stars Game doesn't understand that it was a game that did not matter with no backchecking, and that Price was obviously giving less then his all to protect himself from injuries.

Pogge starts again Tuesday.

Yesssssss.

Pogge doesn't even need to be amazing to show he is more capable then Toskala at this point. If Pogge shows he isn't ready, then the Leafs will keep Toskala for next year. If Pogge shows he could do well at this level, Burke might look to move Toskala at the deadline or in the summer, or buy him out.

I believe Niklas Backstrom is a free agent this summer. The Wild would be crazy not to sign him, but if he went to free agency and Toskala has continued to be a bust, then I would think Toronto would push hard for Backstrom.

Where in the GTA?

FUCK. YES. POGGE IS BACK!

I know this is old news, but I wept when Robbie Earl was dealt. My hopes and dreams of a black man making the 82 game roster is shot down.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Where in the GTA?

I know this is old news, but I wept when Robbie Earl was dealt. My hopes and dreams of a black man making the 82 game roster is shot down.

Jamal Mayers?

So, TSN says that Calgary might be interested in Martin Gerber, to back up Kipper down the stretch here.

Keenan says it's unlikely, but my question is only semi-related, so it doesn't matter.

Admittedly, I don't understand 100% how the waiver system works... but Gerber was just placed on waivers by the Senators... if anybody had any interest in him at all... why the hell wouldn't they just claim him instead of trading away players and/or picks to acquire him?

So, TSN says that Calgary might be interested in Martin Gerber, to back up Kipper down the stretch here.

Keenan says it's unlikely, but my question is only semi-related, so it doesn't matter.

Admittedly, I don't understand 100% how the waiver system works... but Gerber was just placed on waivers by the Senators... if anybody had any interest in him at all... why the hell wouldn't they just claim him instead of trading away players and/or picks to acquire him?

Because Gerber has already cleared waivers, so it is too late just to pick him up. Now, he is no longer counts against the cap for Ottawa. Calgary missed their chance to get him for free, and now that the rumour is out there, I doubt the Senators would give him up for free. Cheap, maybe. Not for free though.

I know he already cleared waivers. It's a 24 hour period, and I understand that.

What I meant was... he was a high profile player on waivers less than a week ago. If anyone (Calgary or elsewhere) has interest now, surely they must have had it 7 days ago.

Which says to me, that there's something about claiming a player that is less attractive than working out a deal with the team, and I was wondering what it was.

I know he already cleared waivers. It's a 24 hour period, and I understand that.

What I meant was... he was a high profile player on waivers less than a week ago. If anyone (Calgary or elsewhere) has interest now, surely they must have had it 7 days ago.

Which says to me, that there's something about claiming a player that is less attractive than working out a deal with the team, and I was wondering what it was.

Calgary may want Ottawa to take a player from them in exchange to clear some cap space.

Where in the GTA?

Jamal Mayers?

In my defense, it's not like Jamal Mayers ever sticks out. Unless it's in the middle of a scrum. In that case, there are 50 other guys around too.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

In order to claim someone from waivers, you need an open roster spot and cap space. Calgary probably has to make both before they can take anyone.