2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

I personally value Kubina pretty high. Everyone says he is a respected guy in the room, he has won the Cup, is physical and strong, and has the booming point shot. He will not be a cheap player to get away from the Leafs.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With everything wrong that has gone on for the Canadiens injury wise, I think it's almost a miracle that they're still in 4th place in the East. With all the injuries to our top players (Koivu, Tanguay, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Price, Gorges) and our depth players (Dandenault, Laraque, Latendresse etc) I think it shows how deep our team really is... Unfortunately we won't be going very far in the playoffs with our under-developed prospects.

Yesterday was the saddest day of the year for me. Robert Lang's season and potentially his career are over. An errant skate caught the back of his ankle and sliced his achilles tendon. Latendresse is suspected to have a seperated shoulder and that means that our center depth chart goes Koivu... then Lapierre.... Unless Bob pulls off a gem of a trade, our season's done.

I personally value Kubina pretty high. Everyone says he is a respected guy in the room, he has won the Cup, is physical and strong, and has the booming point shot. He will not be a cheap player to get away from the Leafs.

Oh, I agree. I didn't mean that Kubina has no value, or even little. He's a great guy to have on the team but at the same time we need to move a few people to build up a good pool of prospects. Our prospect pool is pretty weak overall. His return would be very good, but I don't think as high as Kaberle. That's what I meant.

I'm not saying we should do what most forums I frequent suggest, which is trade everything that isn't nailed down. Kaberle, Kubina, Van Ryn, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Moore, Mayers, Toskala, etc, etc.

I'd just rather, if given the choice, keep Kaberle over Kubina. Entirely IMO.

With everything wrong that has gone on for the Canadiens injury wise, I think it's almost a miracle that they're still in 4th place in the East. With all the injuries to our top players (Koivu, Tanguay, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Price, Gorges) and our depth players (Dandenault, Laraque, Latendresse etc) I think it shows how deep our team really is... Unfortunately we won't be going very far in the playoffs with our under-developed prospects.

Yesterday was the saddest day of the year for me. Robert Lang's season and potentially his career are over. An errant skate caught the back of his ankle and sliced his achilles tendon. Latendresse is suspected to have a seperated shoulder and that means that our center depth chart goes Koivu... then Lapierre.... Unless Bob pulls off a gem of a trade, our season's done.

Antropov can play center...and I think the Leafs are looking to move people! Basha, call Gainey! Get him to work out a deal! We will take picks!

Edited by Major Toe

I didn't think anyone could tank the Avs worse than Quenneville and his fucking goalie merry-go-round, but good god, Granato's trying his hardest. I know Colorado's been ravaged by injuries this season, but jesus fuck, 1-5 thus far on an 8 game homestand is unacceptable.

It'll be 1-6 after tonight's game.

Go Flames!

Bah... tough break tonight. Bounces weren't in our favor tonight, we'll get those another time. We made some piss poor decisions with the puck, trying to force it through Colorado players instead of taking our time to find openings. When things are working fine, passes and shots through mazes of players don't bother me... but when you're fighting for the lead in the game, and that strategy isn't working, you need to smarten up and change it.

The Flames didn't, and the Avalanche did a good job of blocking shots and stopping passes.

I don't know how Colorado plays on that ice... that would drive me completely bonkers having to play 41 games there.

There are only two possible good things about our teams situation. 1 if the team can find itself again before the playoffs; they'll look at the adversity they faced in the season and say well we got this far without a team... There's no reason we can't take down any of these teams. The second and much more important is that Montreal is like 4 mil under cap, but because of long term injuries to half our team, technically for the rest of the season were like 10 mil under cap, which might make bobby go after a rental player.

I didn't think anyone could tank the Avs worse than Quenneville and his fucking goalie merry-go-round, but good god, Granato's trying his hardest. I know Colorado's been ravaged by injuries this season, but jesus fuck, 1-5 thus far on an 8 game homestand is unacceptable.

It'll be 1-6 after tonight's game.

Go Flames!

:w00t:

Interesting tidbit about Luke Schenn and Brad May that I found...

May admitted that he did go out of his way after arriving in Toronto to extend a guiding hand to Schenn, partly because they're both managed by Mississauga-based Newport Sports.

Somehow, he and Schenn connected, to the point that Schenn invited May, who was living in a hotel room after being traded to Toronto, to move into his downtown condo.

"He's just the nicest, most down-to-earth guy, and he has been a great help in the short time he has been here," Schenn said.

That's a pretty kick ass thing to do by Luke. Great to see a guy like May helping Schenn along in his development, and that they get along so well. May's not too shabby for a guy we basically got for free.

Edited by Drifter_2000

Yeah that's a pretty cool story.

We may not be making the playoffs, but we can still be dicks to those trying. I'm hoping the excitement from the last few games carries over tonight. Back to back home wins? Savor the small achievements. So for that to happen, tonight Luke Schenn scores. It's in the air.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy