2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

Except you guys couldn't get it up, so now we have a game in hand.

Honestly, looking at schedules, I think the one key game is the one we play each other. If that's a 4 point game, I think the winner wins the division.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except you guys couldn't get it up, so now we have a game in hand.

Honestly, looking at schedules, I think the one key game is the one we play each other. If that's a 4 point game, I think the winner wins the division.

They outplayed us in the third period, on the strength of two penalty calls that David Perron drew with some expert embellishment.

Brent Sutter would have crucified him for playing like that when he coached him on the National team.

For the most part, I liked what I saw last night, but like I said, those two penalties to Sarich, drawn by Perron, took us out of the game far too easily.

Credit Chris Mason for that win though. If he hadn't have stood on his head during the second period, it would have been a blowout.

EDIT: Van's in Phoenix tonight. Though the Coyotes are pretty low in the standings, I think they have a very good team right now. They were sellers at the deadline, but still managed to improve their team short term, as well as long term.

Hopefully Lombo and company give them hell for me.

Edited by Gabriel

Montreal did not have any jump. Odd to see from a team trying to hold on to their playoff spot. It didn't look like the Leafs jumped all over them or out-battled them out of the gates either. Montreal just slowly gave it away. When they did decide to play, it was too late.

They were sellers at the deadline, but still managed to improve their team short term, as well as long term.

Don't be so sure about that - the Yotes weren't sellers, they were "investors". I think they were the big winners at the trade deadline.

They were sellers at the deadline, but still managed to improve their team short term, as well as long term.

Don't be so sure about that - the Yotes weren't sellers, they were "investors". I think they were the big winners at the trade deadline.

That's pretty much what I said. They approached the deadline looking like sellers, because they intended on moving their bigger name players. Other teams saw them as sellers, but the Coyotes did a great job improving their roster in regard to this season, as well as seasons beyond.

I'd say that investor is a good term to use for what they did. The got rid of some of their better players, but brought back guys who are close to being as good, and have many more years in front of them. Plus, they brought them back in numbers, which meant that they could demote some of their lesser players, which also helps improve the club.

The way I see it, Calgary came out looking best because the impact is bigger and more current. Phoenix though, did an incredible job, and Maloney should be given a ton of credit.

The yotes took the rangers to the cleaners...and Calgary really only brought in one player. Leopold is a net loss in terms of player skill <_<

Leopold has been great for us. He had one bad game, but aside from that... I'd just say that you're a litter bitter that Colorado's probably going to finish last in the West.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Tonight at 9 EST, The Score is showing the CIS women's hockey final, Laurier vs. McGill. #21 on Laurier is a friend of mine who I've known since I was eight.

And you guys think I'm insufferable when I'm talking junior hockey. :shifty:

Looking at last night's game I'm suddenly more interested in Kulemin. Perhaps his woman shitting that kid out has unlocked his potential some how? The guy was aggressive and being involved with the play instead of hanging back.

Hopefully he can keep up the play from now on.

Kulemin has impressed me with his defensiveness this year but he's been known as the type of guy who made Malkin better when he played with him. I think we'll begin to see that soon as I don't doubt the wife's pregnancy, learning a new language and the like has kinda worn on him.

That's a good theory Clawson...about the language and such. That kind of thing must be tough, even when you've got other guys on the team who can help you out.

All things considered we've got ourselves a good line with Poni, Grabo, and Kulemin. Depending on how well we do in the college/NHL free agent market, draft, and how things develop we've got a line that at it's worst could easily fit in as the 2nd forward unit.

Assuming they can continue to play well together. Judging by how terrible the Habs were, a blind monkey and two slabs of steak could score on them.

Luongo had a weak game against Phoenix, it deflated the entire team. We'll be okay. Even the great's have a night off once in a while.

Luongo had a weak game against Phoenix, it deflated the entire team. We'll be okay. Even the great's have a night off once in a while.

I just think it's a little funny. Calgary's had some similar issues of late, while Vancouver has been on a hot streak. All I've been hearing is how awesome Vancouver is, and how they're unbeatable now that everything's in sync. I think they're a good team that just happened to get hot over the last month and a half. By comparison, I think Calgary is a great team (with Bert and Bourque both due back any week now... to go along with the Iggy/Jokinen pairing) that's gone through a cold streak.

I figure things will either even out heading into the playoffs, or Calgary will catch fire again with all the returns coming up in the next three weeks and put the distance between the two teams. Either way, I don't see Vancouver staying hot until the end of the season.